[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howdy /tg/, in your oppinion, what would be the best system to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Howdy /tg/, in your oppinion, what would be the best system to run a hard-and-fast monster rancher type game within? So far I have looked at Mutants and Masterminds because I am currently most familiar with d20, however, I also wanted to look at the possibility of something quicker, such as Monsters And Other Childish Things. A player suggested ripping the Pokemon Tabletop system apart and just using trainer rules for ranchers, however I am a lazy asshole and would rather only do that as a last resort. Main things I really want to accomplish with it would be having a decent combat mechanical chassis and simple enough character building or monster building rules to not spend more than hopefully twenty minutes putting monsters together.
>>
>>48997836
>Howdy /tg/, in your oppinion, what would be the best system to run a hard-and-fast monster rancher type game within?
How much emphasis do you want on the actual ranching? Full on raising sim, pure adventure or somewhere in between?

>Main things I really want to accomplish with it would be having a decent combat mechanical chassis and simple enough character building or monster building rules to not spend more than hopefully twenty minutes putting monsters together.
Avoid any of the pokemon tabletop games, for the sake of your sanity.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Monsters and Other Childish Things, so I can't comment on that.
>>
>MONSTER RANCHER
Fuck, that hit me right in the nostalgia.
>>
>>48997911
Somewhere inbetween honestly. That's why-

>Not familliar with MaOCT
Okay, in brief; MaOCT goes like this, your monsters are cut up into d6 dice pools based on hit locations and the abilities associated to them; such as having a big beefy chest and body to resist hurts and lift big things, or a head with charming eyes and a big snout full of gnashing teeth. It was designed for children, which is why I stopped at it first; simple is best to some degree. Either way, I highly suggest checking it out, but obviously that's because of favoritism.

>Avoid Pokemon Tabletop
Noted, thanks

>>48997950
I know right?
>>
>>48998002
I was doing some research, and apparently they have a ds game? Who'da thunk, eh? I remember getting the first one on psone and having a blast running all my dads music to try and get fancy monsters.
>>
I just wish the battle system wasn't so rngy. I hated the whole dodge-hit thing, it was like rolling different kinds of dice.
>>
>>48998031
Yeah, Monster Rancher is one of those low-key childhood favorites that has enough of a fanbase to release something new every so often, but is buried under every other battle-monster series that pops up. Ever played Dragon Seeds or Jade Cocoon?

>>48998111
Fair enough, it was kinda weird.

Uh- back on topic; no matter what I do, I'm gonna be ripping things apart and rearranging them as I desire. IS this the point where I should straight up try to homebrew instead of try to find something to fit and cudgel it together?
>>
>>48998153
>Dragon Seeds
God, I remember that. Some of the 'dragons' looked weird as fuck.

>IS this the point where I should straight up try to homebrew instead of try to find something to fit and cudgel it together?
Homebrewing would take ages to hammer out, unless you plan on dedicating every waking moment to it. Taking something that's ALMOST what you want and moving some shit around would probably work better, depending on how much work it would take.
>>
>>48998176

Yeah, dragon seeds was straight up "Everything is a dragon. See this lizard thing with horns? dragon. See this pterodactyl? Dragon. This bug? Dragon. See this clay doll man? Dragon. See this door? Dragon. It's a dragon because I said so, it's my setting. Now get it sword and board and grind the RNG for a super sayian dragon."

But no, I sure as shit don't want to spend a lot of time building a complex system forever; expecially sense the concept (Battle monsters) isn't new, and the setting isn't interesting enough to be the next Engine Heart.
>>
>>48997836
How well-defined do you want your monster species to be? You could use a system that's designed to reflect any kind of monster the players come up with, but a lot of monster training series have some definition to what "breeds" the monsters come in and how they interact.
>>
>>48998153
Jade cocoon had this really strange world, that I've probably imagined a lot additional stuff into.
>>
>>48997836
>fast character creation
Have you looked into pokerole?
It is completely focused on pokemon, but the system is pretty simple and easy to hack if you wanna create your own monsters, you just select a limit and add dots to it.
Same with moves you just assign them a power between 1 and 5, and skip abilities entirely.
I think it could work for what you are trying to do.
>>
>>49001566
Even simpler, take one of the pokemon already there and refluff it as the montesr you want, for example take Arcanine and make it Tiger instead. Get him thunderbolt and icy wind and you are set
>>
If you want quick and dirty, use Risus. Make each of your monsters a cliche for your rancher.
>>
>>48997836
For monster making and battling, somewhere between 4e and 13th Age might be what you're after. For raising, I'm honestly not sure.

I tried making a homebrew for Monster Rancher once in the past. It would've been good for a 2 player game with a GM and a player, but I lost the drive to finish it after a while.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.