[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 34

File: NnR9HkB.jpg (140KB, 1120x800px) Image search: [Google]
NnR9HkB.jpg
140KB, 1120x800px
Previous Thread: >>48958394
>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_%26_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/v20-summer-bundle/

Promethean 2e is out
>richfags
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition?manufacturers_id=4261&language=en&affiliate_id=498510
>poorfags
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jwiihm

>Mage 2e Errata
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing

>Demon
https://mega.nz/#F!3ElwBRpK!pC3J0VfZr2wnUSCuRcDj_w

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/jumping-to-mars-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
Tell me about the best game you ever played.
>>
File: letsnotturnthispackintoamurder.jpg (35KB, 723x538px) Image search: [Google]
letsnotturnthispackintoamurder.jpg
35KB, 723x538px
>>48994455
>best game you ever played
There were werewolves. It was gay.
>>
>>48994511

did they died
>>
Re-posting in this thread in case the guy I'm responding to heads here first.
>>48994375
If you mean "do they have trouble adjusting to time zone differences", not really(probably)
They automatically feel tired as fuck when the Sun starts to rise, and staying up past that point is generally very difficult.
Your friend is probably fine, unless the sun is about to come up anyways.
>>
>>48994511
Was just the one gay werewolf.

Unless you go by the fan-canon.

But you know how fans are, everyone is gay until proven otherwise. Then they are bisexual.
>>
>>48994570

And do you play as those, anon?
>>
>>48994570
Thanks anon. That makes sense, we will roll with that!

Also what about if they go up into space?
>>
>>48994540
Never in our hearts.

>>48994619
One gay werewolf, one gay coyote, one bisexual bird, and possibly a lesbian weaboo.
>>
File: itsuptoyou.png (134KB, 546x629px) Image search: [Google]
itsuptoyou.png
134KB, 546x629px
>>48994673
>Also what about if they go up into space?
>>
>>48991171
Is this MUD open? I'd be interested in checkin it out despite your concerns.
>>
>>48994725
There was hope for lesbo wolf too.

Dogs are just pretty gay.
>>
>>48994651
What?
>>
>>48994866

Whoops.

>>48994651

meant for >>48994635
>>
>>48995004
THAT JUST RAISES MORE QUESTIONS!
>>
>>48995109

He's saying that Changing Breeds can have Paradox-free Awakened magic because ephemera and Pangeans can, but the difference is that Changing Breeds were meant for players and Pangeans decidedly aren't.
>>
>>48994739

You know, that's an interesting question.

I'd say that if they are beyond the moon then the sun doesn't hurt them and only the light of the sun has any real affect on them and not star light
>>
I have an idea for a WoD Hunter Conspiracy but I dont know how to write PDFs to show you guys, unless you want me to just copy/paste what I already have.
>>
>>48995157
Write it in google docs.
Save as PDF.
Or print as PDF.

job's done.
>>
>>48995194
k cheers
>>
>>48995004
yes we play as ephemera often

there is precedent for it, is what i'm pointing out
and it's not just getting supernal magic (it repeats that over and over) it's getting a specific rote of 1-3 dots
since mage rotes are just examples of magic things (speak with dead, fireball) acting like it's some broken mechanic is overreacting
>>
>>48995148
>Changing Breeds can have Paradox-free Awakened magic
>These spells
are not Supernal magic as mages practice it.
>>
I'm gonna go live in the Abyss, because you're all fags

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya
>>
>>48995555
>>48995556
So close.
>>
How different is Chronicles from nWoD? I'm gonna be using my friends Chronicles book and I was wondering if it's similar enough to nWoD that I won't have to read the entire book and relearn a system I'm already comfortable with.
>>
>>48996307
Main changes are in combat and XP.
>>
>>48996331
Can I use my Changeling the Lost and Geist books with it? Or do I have to buy the new ones?
>>
>>48996669
Neither of those gamelines is up to 2e yet. Realistically however, you "can" just run 1e with the god machine rules update as it's some pretty minor rules changes. (Athletics gets added to defense, there's new systems for both physical chases and social maneuvering sorta stuff) and some other stuff.
>>
>>48996765
Sweet shit
>>
Am I crazy in thinking there is a Vancouver Splat book for VtM?

I remember seeing it but can't seem to find it
>>
>>48997167

Montral had one?
>>
>>48997167
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Alliance:_Vancouver
>>
>>48997167

It was awful
>>
>>48994455
>best game you have ever played.

I'm always the ST, not by choice, but because no one else will run the game.
>>
>>48998365
Do you have Friday's or Tuesday's free? I'll run a game for you online
>>
File: black dog factory.jpg (225KB, 745x1018px) Image search: [Google]
black dog factory.jpg
225KB, 745x1018px
>>
>>48998878
>Thai Cuisine
Man, they are really going all out this playthrough.
>>
File: 214.jpg (12KB, 246x287px) Image search: [Google]
214.jpg
12KB, 246x287px
Lads, I just went on drivethrurpg, and VtR second ed isn't available for order

Anybody know what's going on? >.>
>>
>>48999173
> It will be back soon! We're making some technical adjustments to the print version. (Nothing that changes the visuals or text, though.)
>>
Anons, could I get opinions on something that happened?

So, to set the scene, I was running a game of Hunter the Vigil. Made it clear at the start of the game that it's got a little more of a cosmic horror "humans don't always win" vibe than the vanilla, and everyone seemed cool with it. Scenario is we're playing as a VASCU "black ops cell"; tier 1/2 hunters captured by VASCU and offered the chance to get out of jail by working for VASCU to provide extra-legal muscle. They're hunting down a nomadic Slasher, and to try and get a lead on them, they end up going to a "dark city" - a place where the local supernaturals have managed to organize across the racial divide, so there's no hunter presence. Lot of social and investigative efforts later. they've managed to score themselves access under flag of truce to the local powwow - think Elysium, only it's got all the movers & shakers from all the major races present.

There's this one player; let's call him Chuckles. His character is a member of the Long Night, a real fire & brimstone "smite the demons in the name of the lord!" type. He's been fairly quiet in the game so far, just a little twitchy.

Until we get to Elysium, that is. Then, all of a sudden, he pulls out a concealed firearm and starts brandishing it wildly, ranting about purifying them all in fire. Before he can actually shoot someone, the city's vampire prince - a BP 5 Daeva with Celerity 5 - promptly zips in front of him and blasts him point blank with a sawn-off shotgun. One poor roll later, Chuckles is on the ground bleeding out, and the prince promptly empties another blast into his head, whilst the rest of the party try to do damage control.

Am I a dick for having this happen?
>>
>>48999349
He was a Hunter who pulled a gun in Elysium. I would say it was justified.
>>
Has anyone shared either Mummy Curse of the Blue Nile or Tales of Dark Eras?

Thanks.
>>
>>48999516

Curse of the Blue Nile is awesome and, like, $5. Mummy could use your help.
>>
>>48999349
Talk shit, get hit.

>>48994832
It's a wonder they keep reproducing.
>>
There an ETA on Secrets of the Covenants yet?
>>
>>48999929
Never. It and A Thousand Years of Night will never be finished. CofD will roll around to 3rd Edition before Requiem gets another supplement.
>>
>>48999951

Bitter much?
>>
>>49000009

It's OPP, mate.

Asking about release dates is fruitless because you're either going to hear "never," "when it's done," or "[laughing asshole.jpg] >2040"
>>
>>49000017
Naw man, CofD releases move at a steady rate. Now Exalted on the other hand...
>>
>>49000065
>CofD releases move at a steady rate
>haven't seen a Vampire book for 3 gamelines now

Ok buddy whatever you say.
>>
>>49000009
Quite a bit, yes.
>>
>>49000070
CofD encompasses more than just Requiem dude. Mind you, I actually agree that Forsaken and Awakening getting their first supplements before Requiem is more than a little annoying.
>>
>>49000128
I think Requiem might get their first before Awakening does.
>>
Yantras cap at +5 each.
Could one use Prime to break that limit with a Yantra-buff spell and a Reach?

You can with a lot of other stuff.
>>
>>49000362

Oh, and could one just create a Yantra with Prime?

I mean, to say "I charge the surroundings with magical energies", via a Prime spell, and then use that as Yantra?
>>
>>49000362
Any final modifiers cap at -5 or +5.
>>
>>49000370

Yes yes, but those are the final modifiers. What I'm talking about is intermediate steps.
>>
>>49000378
Mhmm. As far as I'm aware, the same deal sorta applies but of course it's at the STs call. You might be able to use prime to buff a yantra from 3-4 or 4-5 but not from 5-6.
>>
File: Trait Maximum.jpg (20KB, 301x133px) Image search: [Google]
Trait Maximum.jpg
20KB, 301x133px
>>49000403
Not so sure, we have this ruling from the very book.
And we have spells that buff Yantras.
>>
>>49000453
>the "trait maximum" for an equipment bonus is ALWAYS +5
??? seems very clear
>>
>>49000465
And that paragraph talks about raising stuff above it.
>>
>>49000453
We have spells that grant the 8-again and 9-again qualities to yantra, which does nothing more than render an Exceptional success a bit more likely.

Which is drastically different to granting additional dice.
>>
>>49000691
Sure, but that just shows that one CAN buff Yantras, and we have practices and stuff for buffing dice pools.

Just because something isn't explicitly written out, it doesn't mean it isn't there.
>>
>>49000739
No, however its ommission, in the Arcanum of Magic itself, is rather telling.
You know what, that's worth asking Dave about next time he swings by.

I'd think he would say no though. Not being able to enhance a Mundra beyond +5, regardless of your actual skill would suggest they desperately don't want Yantras to get out of hand with enhancement.

9-agains and 8-agains are a nice simple way to ensure that you can still "buff" your Yantras, but not in a way which actually makes you more likely to succeed at the test... Well, unless you'd otherwise be rolling a chance die.
>>
>>48994455
>Tell me about the best game you ever played.
We're playing it right now. Werewolf the Forsaken 2e, in the neolithic. We've been taking down Tyrants and their human minions, in the course of it and seeing how lousy humanity is, sort of being swayed by the Cull. In the meantime we've stumbled on some members of the Devourers and are figuring out what to do with that knowledge.

There's war, too. I think the ST has introduced the General like the plot hook said but we won't find out for sure for a couple sessions.

Lots of talking and pondering the world, our ST usually does fantasy stuff and sometimes has a hard time with modern/reality in CofD, but he's doing great with this. There's four of us and we're like wandering philosopher wolfmen of the apocalypse.
>>
>>49001001
>There's four of us and we're like wandering philosopher wolfmen of the apocalypse.
Did you also have an NPC in your pack who left due to creative differences?
>>
>>49000822
So Matter can't increase equipment modifiers either?

Since off-hand the only spell I can remember that buffs equipment modifier is in Fate.
>>
>>49000075
I'm more bitter about how much oWoD stuff gets prioritized.
>>
>>49001074
Hey, it's what the fans want! Just look at the amount of forum posts on the OPP forums, and compare how much more posts and threads oWoD has than CofD.
>>
>>49001094
CofD has over 100,000 more posts.
>>
>>49001107

Pff.

Anyhow. They couldn't do any of the out-of-game stuff they have intended for oWoD in CofD, that'd ruin it's sandbox possibilities. That's why we haven't gotten, for instance short story collections, or setting seeds, for CofD.
>>
>>49001145
>That's why we haven't gotten, for instance short story collections, or setting seeds, for CofD.
We have more short story collections and setting seeds for CofD than for WoD.

I get what you're doing but your point is shit.

They're trying to get all they can out of WoD before Martin takes it over. But I bet they have some sort of limit to amount of stuff they can produce in CofD in the meantime.
>>
>>49001074

They've got to get all the material they can before the new Vampire video game makes Paradox a lot of money so they can ride on its coattails.
>>
>>49001359
I wonder if Obsidian will get that license, they seem kind of busy with Tyranny.
>>
>>49001503
they're going to fuck it up and give it to some indie company that'll never get it out of alpha
>>
>>49001520
Oh, so Troika's back in business?
>>
>>49001520
Has Paradox ever fucked up like that?
>>
>>49001664
sword of the stars 2
magicka 2
cities skylines
warlock 2
majesty 2
>>
How do mages get rid of the abyss?
>>
>>49001728
Damn.
I had hoped they were a decent publisher.
>>
>>49001841
How do humans get rid of extraterrestrial space?
>>
>>49001841
>get rid of the only thing keeping the world from being overrun by the exarchs and humanity from being mindraped to hell by supernal symbolism
step 1: become archmage
step 2: befriend any rank 6+ who wants to destroy world
>>
>>49001850
they're good at historical games
but its the developers who do most of the work anyways
>>
>>49001870
Nice try, exarch sympathizer.
>>
>>49001888
Yeah yeah, they are a decent developer for grand strategy, but I wanted to know how they are as Publisher.

The only one I knew of beforehand was Pillars of Eternity, and that they snagged up when it was done.
>>
>>49001940
they also had magicka 1, warlock 1 and majesty 1
it might just be a recent thing
>>
>>49001728

I thought Cities Skylines was supposed to be the best one. Then again, compared to the fiasco of that latest Sim City, I guess anything'd look good.
>>
File: cities skylines disappointing.png (48KB, 726x509px) Image search: [Google]
cities skylines disappointing.png
48KB, 726x509px
>>49002039
you can build a city but there's nothing to do with it
they finally added disasters but it's still disappointing
>>
>>49002075
Yeah. But you can google ANY game and add "disappointing" and you'll get hits.
>>
File: games disappointing.png (122KB, 1334x560px) Image search: [Google]
games disappointing.png
122KB, 1334x560px
>>49002085
yes, thats why there's a huge number to show you how many hits, which is more of an indicator
>>
>>49002075
>>49002136
I've still heard several people talking about how much they enjoyed the game. People finding it disappointing doesn't stop it from having been heavily praised.
>>
>>49001564
You wish

I wish
>>
>>49001503
When are you obshitian eaters going to stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73cYTlul9vM

22:45
>>
What would Werewolf be like in Japan. Primary Religion is Animism with an intricate heirarchy of spirits and gods. Spirits are considered divine so would Uratha there considerm themselves Divine?
>>
>>49003588
That's a section in the Werewolf 2e book.

The Ainu are the only native werewolves in Japan, which is sort of weird considering bear symbolism is more their thing historically, but they are basically the Amerindians of Japan.
>>
>>49003655
>The Ainu are the only native werewolves in Japan
they were a majority
now populations are equal
>>
File: persona43.jpg (177KB, 1000x561px) Image search: [Google]
persona43.jpg
177KB, 1000x561px
The other day someone suggested a Hunter Org inspired by Persona.

I've been thinking about the idea, and how to handle it a bit, and my current idea is some sort of mishmash of Professional Training and the Prelacy and Masque merits from Mage. Each "Persona" would be represented by a different merit--or perhaps like Masque you would purchase one as ● to ●●●●● and purchase additional ones as ●● merits--but each merit would be customized. I'd want to stay away from something as overt as "you summon a monster and then get to do things with it", though I think my idea is actually more akin to JoJo's Stands. Much like Masque, each level would give a specific effect that you customize, and much like Prelacy, one of those levels would be a special ability.

More specifically, the fluff would be manifesting Goetia that protect and empower you. Each Goetia "Persona" would have a specific Power, Finesse, and Resistance Attribute that defines which traits of the character it uses for those aspects, and the Rank would probably be something like Status+Endowment/2 *or* 5, whichever is less. They'd be "summoned" or activated by paying a point of Willpower that doesn't refresh so long as the Persona is active, similar to Masque, and the powers would generally be things that enhance the abilities of the summoner or allow them to do new fancy magical things.

In retrospect, it probably would have been better to create an example instead of rambling...
>>
Is Apotheosis a trap? Roleplay wise sure, of course you would want to be free of the yoke of the judges and not have to collect relics or other shit lest you feel them rip a part of your life force out. On the other hand, loss of top tier utterances and being locked at sekhem 1, which the book describes as being physically uncomfortable and like being ill, forever kind of makes the eternal lash look a little bit better.
>>
>>49004649
Persona is basically WoD
>>
>>49005073
Depends what you want out of existence. Is the loss of power worth it?

I have an Alchemist who is desperate to regain the power he had as a Promethean before his Pilgrimage ended. HE would say that yes it is a trap
>>
>>49004649
I'm the one that suggested the conspiracy. I've worked a bit on it. The concept is similar, but in my version the Shadows need to be summoned through hypnotherapy and the like. They don't normally have attributes and follow the hunter for the rest of the day. Each dot grants it a small passive benefit with a drawback, and the option to spend a willpower for a bigger benefit
Here's a WIP example:
Green Eyes: the Shadow lends its creator its twisted, covetous perception of the world. When active, the hunter gains a +2 to all vision related rolls. However, the Shadow's envy makes it more difficult to interact with others. The hunter takes -1 to all Social rolls except Intimidation. In addition, by spending a Willpower point and rolling Wits + Occult, the hunter may recognize a number of supernatural beings equal to successes rolled as such.
>>
>>49005073

Do you want to be powerful or do you want to be free?

Far more uncomfortable than low Sekhem is the hell that is having low Memory, and when every Descent kicks you back down on that front you barely have a sense of self during the scant time you have among the living.
>>
>>49005245
That sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>49005073

Freedom has its price, which is why most Arisen try to avoid the whole thing. Both choices have upsides and downsides, but both are better than becoming Shuhanksen or getting Last Dynasty'd forever.
>>
Anyone in the Rochester area interested in a Mage the Awakening game?
>>
>>49005863
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester

Which one?
>>
>>49005930
New York
>>
>>49006047
Then no
>>
>>49005073
Isn't the discomfort of Sekhem 1 mostly caused by its place within the Descent, though? I'd probably say that, having been freed from that, you'd no longer experience any discomfort.
>>
>>49005398
>Far more uncomfortable than low Sekhem is the hell that is having low Memory
But namefriend-sama, the shan'iatu told me ignorance is bliss and a mind too small for doubt is to be envied! They wouldn't lie for their own obvious gain, would they?
>>
>>49005083
Yup.

>>49005245
>>49005696
Here's what I've (>>49004649) got:

>Persona (● to ●●●●)
>By externalizing the denizens of their own Temenos, characters with this merit are able to gain power from their own personal demons. By spending a point of Willpower a character summons their Persona, calling upon the power of a thought-form created from their own soul. These Personas are Goetic entities, and when necessary they use the traits of ephemeral beings with Power, Finesse, and Resistance attributes based off of the character's specific Attributes, though health, willpower, size, speed, and initiative are all shared with the summoner.
>Manifesting a Persona costs one point of Willpower, and for as long as the Persona is active, that Willpower doesn't refresh. For each dot in Persona, a character gains the following effects:
>Determination (●) Whenever you act in accordance with the Persona's Determination, regain Willpower appropriately.
>(●●) Whenever you use the Persona's associated Attribute, you gain an Exceptional with three successes.
>(●●●) You gain your Persona's special ability.
>(●●●●) ???

>Sample Persona
>The Fool
>Power, Finesse, Resistance traits: Presence, Wits, Stamina
>Determination - Adventure: Regain one point of Willpower when you leap before you look. Regain all Willpower when you willingly place yourself into a new situation despite the danger.
>Associated Attribute: Wits
>Special Ability - Fortune Favors the Bold: Once per chapter while manifesting this Persona, you may choose to either 'downgrade' one action against you or 'upgrade' one action you take by a level of success. For example, you may choose to turn an attack against you from a success into a failure, or take your own failed roll and treat it as if it had one success.
>>
File: 269.png (88KB, 299x327px) Image search: [Google]
269.png
88KB, 299x327px
>>48999333
Accck, fuck a duck. I just saved up the money.
>>
>>49006382

I'm afraid so, anon. But you know who wouldn't lie to you?

Ammut. All she has is a crippling vore fetish, which makes her incapable of lying.
>>
What would be the biggest obstacles in running a Seer game in awakening 2e?
>>
>>49006826
Seers are cunts
>>
>>49006826
Not having them stab the shit out of each other and dealing with a hierarchy
>>
>>49006943
>>49006927
That all?
The hierarchy being the exarchs and such yeah? Because I figure getting 'big balls phone calls' cool gifts from your exarch is enough to keep most seer PCs in line.
>>
>>49007091
>That all?

A higher ranking servant of the Exarchs wiping you from existence, like a child wiping your from a whiteboard, isn't enough?
>>
>>49007091
It is.
We play a Seer game, it's little different from a politicheavy vampire.
>>
>>49007119
From the tone of these threads, the only thing stopping order mages from doing the same is other order mages.
>>
>>49007165
"You can do whatever you want, unless a more powerful Mage disagrees"

That's basically the motto of Mage, and the thing is that the Exarchs already won so they invariably have the most powerful Mages
>>
>>49007207
Do... Seer mages have the same paths? I'm sure the book would say this but I've never thought about it and I'm brainstorming this game now
>>
>>49007332
The only difference between a Seer mage and a Pentacle mage, mechanically, is that their Order field says "Seers of the Throne", and they have access to the Prelacy merit.
>>
>>49007332
Yes
Awaken to a path.
Then join an order (Seers are an order, then you usually narrow it down to a ministry)
>>
>>49007332
They have the same Paths (as far as we know), Seers just choose an order of obedience
>>
>>49007091
Well, not just the exarchs, it is a pyramid, so the players will probably have a direct superior, who might be one of the players.
Also inter-and-inner-Ministry rivalry. Ministries fight each other and those within them fight each other. It is a Pyramid, after all.
Oh yeah and Exarchs make demands that you must complete, or be destroyed (not instantly, but you basically make an enemy of nearly every Seer). The opening fiction for their source-book emphasizes this.
>>
>>49005398
>and when every Descent kicks you back down on that front

Wait what? I don't remember saying each descent eats a dot of memory or something. Did I miss this or are you going by the thing in that one fan 2e update where you basically restart to char gen every descent, but get way more char gen materials and have ways in setting to boost exp generation so it doesn't sting as much?

Seriously, did I miss 'Waking Up' as a breaking point at memory 10 or something, I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know if I totally fucked up and missed something important.
>>
>>49007594

What they mean is that every time you go back to Duat at the end of each Descent, your Memory degenerates over time. This isn't so bad if you're getting raised on the regular, but if your cult runs into hard times, you're going to lose your Memory all the way down to minimum of Memory 3.
>>
File: youwinthistimebatman.jpg (90KB, 588x299px) Image search: [Google]
youwinthistimebatman.jpg
90KB, 588x299px
>Just about the only instance in which an Attribute can be reduced to zero (and usually temporarily) is by supernatural means. A spell, curse or affliction is imposed on your character that eliminates all of the dots in his trait. In these cases, no roll can be made at all whenever the Attribute in question would normally be called for.

What supernatural things temporarily lower dot ratings? Not provide dicepool penalties, but lower the dots.

Are there non supernatural poisons that can do that?
>>
>>49007944
I think there's some powers in Beast that can do it.
>>
>>49007944

>A spell, curse or affliction

I'd say these would be the cause. I can't really imagine anything that would cause someone's actual dots to drop to zero aside from Archmage level Supernal Magic.
>>
>>49006556
Seems pretty good to me. What other Personas are you making? I'll keep working for my version.
>>
>>49008005
Ignoring zero, I haven't seen what could cause an attribute to drop by one dot either. Is there something in Mage or something.
>>
>>49007332
Yes, Seers are mechanically normal mages. They have a Path, and then they choose Seers of the Throne as their Order (although which Ministry they're in can change their Order rote skills).

Once they get up to Status 3, they can open the black portal and become a Prelate, where they get their special powers at cost of sometimes having their agendas overridden by Exarchs shouting at them in their sleep.
>>
>>49000822
>No, however its ommission, in the Arcanum of Magic itself, is rather telling.
>You know what, that's worth asking Dave about next time he swings by.
>I'd think he would say no though. Not being able to enhance a Mundra beyond +5, regardless of your actual skill would suggest they desperately don't want Yantras to get out of hand with enhancement.

It's more that while it would be neat, it would break the spine of the Storytelling system. Much like Time doesn't have spells that grant multiple actions.
>>
>>49008208
Changing into dalu, urshul and urhan give you a -1 manipulation.
>>
File: the_chronicles_of_darkness_1.png (2MB, 1432x1668px) Image search: [Google]
the_chronicles_of_darkness_1.png
2MB, 1432x1668px
>>49008289
Mage 2e PoD when?
Also, is there a reason other than word count why the Aeons aren't mentioned in Sundered World?
>>
>>49006794
Tell me what Ammut is selling, anon. Is she just another face for the Dark Mother, or is she maybe something Mage or Promethean related linked to entropy?
>>
File: Giles more scotch.gif (827KB, 500x190px) Image search: [Google]
Giles more scotch.gif
827KB, 500x190px
>>49006556
>Shoving shitty vidya into an even shittier RPG

ENJOY!
>>
>>49008613

Ammut's just Ammut. She wants to devour everything forever, and is more than happy to use the offerings given to her to enact her will upon our reality. If I were to peg her somewhere in the greater CofD mythology, I'd honestly say she's some kind of Lower Depth creature, or maaaaaybe an overgrown Abyssal entity.
>>
Do werewolves' eating for Essence cause aggravated damage to other supernaturals?
>>
>>49008749
For the most part yes.
>>
>>49008714
I don't know, she seems like an anthropomorphized face on some kind of cosmic entropy, while the rest of the mummy divine canon seems like just gods. Which may mean spirit or something else, fuck if I know, but lower than that.
>>
>>49008867
it's just Grandmother
>>
>>49008879
Grandmother Earth who is in fact the frog-crocodile Earth Monster defeated by Tezcatlpoca and Quetzlcoatl?
>>
>>49008910
no wraith grandmother, oblivion
>>
>>49008910

More like Grandmother, the villain from oWoD's Orpheus. Which is fair, they're very simlar.
>>
>>49008961
Is there anything like that in Geist or is it an oWoD idea entirely?

I basically know nothing about Geist. You're a spirit and a dead human fused into one or something? What's the goal of the game?
>>
>>49009027

I'm saying this as a big fan of Geist; it's basically worse Werewolf, with ghosts instead of spirits.
>>
>>49009027
You're a human with a super ghost riding on your shoulders

You and your friends do hipster things like listen to macklemore, using cell phones that look like grammaphones, and helping ghosts move on.
>>
>>49009240
WtA, WtF 1e or WtF 2e? One of these things is not like the others. You know, actually good
>>
>>49009293
>You're a human with a super ghost riding on your shoulders
See this sounds cool

>You and your friends do hipster things like listen to macklemore, using cell phones that look like grammaphones, and helping ghosts move on.
This sounds even mopier than vampire and you can do that last part in like...numerous other splats.
>>
>>49008665
Why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>49008361
Is there a special reasoning why Fate can apply Boons to spellcasting then? Because that can do much the same thing, and also as a reflexive action too.
>>
File: Yzn2pkx.jpg (48KB, 572x600px) Image search: [Google]
Yzn2pkx.jpg
48KB, 572x600px
Hey guys, I need some help with a Werewolf the Apocalypse game.

So the players are competing to earn a place in the Silver Pack that is forming, and have already passed the Glory challenge. Now I need ideas for the Wisdom challenge - something that will challenge their wits and cunning. I was considering something like a huge underground maze with riddles n shit, but I was wanting more. Any ideas? Any good riddles you wanna share?
>>
Fallen World MUX.

y/n?
>>
>>49009507
I'd say they have to answer a unanswerable question like in All-Star Superman.
>>
>>49009507
>Now I need ideas for the Wisdom challenge - something that will challenge their wits and cunning

If they're playing WtA they don't have much of either
>>
>>49009293

>like listen to macklemore

Well you can't just say that and not let us in on what the mechanics are for that. Do I get a better bonus to ghost things if I put on some Macklemore Deep Cutzzzz?
>>
>>49009317
>See this sounds cool
it sounds cool
but the ghost doesn't do anything
it's not even an npc
>>
>>49009507

You could always do something like "try to subvert a servant of the Wyrm's plans so that it ultimately aids our cause". Depending on your wolves and the state of your Garou Nation, though, that might be a teeeny bit dangerous and could risk the wolves getting busted for potential Wyrm taint.
>>
>>49009637
This. It's background and the image of your nimbus. It colors some of your descriptions, and you can reference it IC.

That part of the game can be emulated with more impact by just having an invisible friend or ghost buddy as any other supernatural or mortal.
>>
>>49009537
Here's your (you)

>>49009673
Might be interesting, actually.
>>
What's a Lower Depth defined in? I've never heard it except here, and I assume it is a Mage thing since that's the only one of the big three I haven't taken the time to read at least the core of any edition.
>>
>>49009753
>other world with different rules
>>
File: the lower depths.png (182KB, 433x641px) Image search: [Google]
the lower depths.png
182KB, 433x641px
>>49009753
>>
>>49009771
Okay. I assumed it was something specifically relating to supernal realms or something. Which I also have heard but never been sure what it was.
>>
>>49009806
Thank you anon.
>>
File: supernal places.png (35KB, 421x124px) Image search: [Google]
supernal places.png
35KB, 421x124px
>>49009817
>>49009835
No problem.
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Supernal_Realm
>>
File: 0w0.jpg (155KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0w0.jpg
155KB, 1024x1024px
can you cast key manifestions based on keys that your keystone momento has but you dont

for example, I have marionette and oracle, and my character has industrial and gravedirt, but my keystone has industrial and primeval, can i cast a primeval oracle manifestation?
>>
Are all the energies permeating the world (Sekhem, Wyrd, Azoth, Primus...) different facets of the same fundamental "field"?
>>
>>49010146
Naw bra, that dumb. That's silly mage talk.
>>
>>49010146

I would sure hope not. That would be thunderingly retarded and reductionist.
>>
Alarak explain Seers of the Throne to Artanis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih3UIllq7Xk&t=1m46s
>>
>>49010146
I should fucking hope not.
>>
>>49010146

No, but if they were, they'd probably all be derivatives of Essence.
>>
>>49008472
That's actually covered in the short section about the Astral Realm in The Sundered World - no Wise in living memory has made it that far in the realms beyond the singing stone.
>>
>>49010615
This seems to be where CofD is leading. At the end of the day, everything supernatural or ephemeral or whatever, uses some form of Essence.
>>
>>49010526
Pretty close. It's a pyramid, not a chain, obviously (with a pyramid, the ones on top have power over more people). And there's multiple pyramids. And physical combat isn't necessary, but it works.
>>
>>49010755
Multiple pyramids?!
Dropped.
>>
>>49010692
It does seem to be the energy that everything is made up of. Different monsters have different ways of refining it.
>>
>>49010782
There's different ministries, serving different exarchs. It's possible there's a singular force above the exarchs but it would be the sort of blasphemy that would result in being smote from on high. Because knowing of that position would open the way to claiming that position.
>>
>>49010146
No, but Sekhem and Azoth might be related. The whole Divine Fire thing sounds very close to what sekhem is. Alpha and beta life force radiation?
>>
>>49010920
Mummy's are pretty beta.
>>
>>49010782
Someone is bitter about Kemet I see.
>>
Can I imagine a Seer with John DeLancies sweet voice?
>>
Our first Geist 2e preview:

>Anyhoo, Geist spoilers, eh? Hmmm... well, for now, I'll just say this: It's still fundamentally the same game about people who have died and come back thanks to the intervention of a spooky ghost-thing... but aside from that it's probably going to see the most mechanical differences compared to its first edition of any CofD game so far.

>If I had to pick two inspirational media that really nail the tone we're going for with Geist, it would be Mama and ParaNorman. Make of that what you will.
>>
File: kill_them_all_peter.jpg (51KB, 600x373px) Image search: [Google]
kill_them_all_peter.jpg
51KB, 600x373px
>>49010684
Ah, I see! I must have missed it.
I wonder why! Perhaps the lack of comprehension of the wider cosmos?
>>
What would Mage look like it magic came from the Astral instead of the Supernal?
>>
>>49011169
no abyss
little reason for most of the arcana
>>
Secrets of the Covenants when?
>>
>>49010957
Yes, they are eternally the servants.
>>
>>49011230

I just want the Dark Eras Companion.
>>
>>49011398
what's in it?
>>
>>49011440
Mage-Mummy crossover stuff, sekhem sorcerer rules which should have been in the mummy core, Cleopatra Egypt.

I don't know what else but that's what I'm definitely in for. I'd also like a BC Vampire era but that's just hoping.
>>
What sphere to tell if someone's a Sleepwalker? Prime?
>>
>>49011566

Yeh, that'd be the fastest way.
>>
>>49011537
>>49011440
Oh I looked it up, also Second Sight (which I assume is some kind of mortal minor splat?), Demons in the Russian Revolution, and Cleopatra Mummy with the aforementioned sekhem sorcerers and shit.
>>
>>49011606
sounds boring
>>
>>49011440
>1890s New England Second Sight
>Russian Revolution Demon
>Roman Egypt Mummy
>1816 Europe Promethean
>Roanoke Colony Geist
>Roman Barbarian Werewolf
>Mutapa Empire Mage/Mummy
>Black Death Europe Vampire/Promethean
>30 Years War Promethean
>>
>>49011169
Mage the Ascension
>>
Can Death determine if someone's possessed by a Spirit/Gulmoth with Soul Marks?
>>
What are some good places to recruit ghouls in the big city? Emphasis on security and ruining people's day
>>
>>49011661
>can Death detect a Spirit

i'll give you one guess, anon
>>
>>49011630
Russian Revolution Demons and cults and intrigue in AEgypt as Rome is knocking at the door? I don't like your opinions but hold you no ill will

Seriously though what is Second Sight?

>>49011637
Oh wow, that's a lot more than was on the kickstarter page. Did they manage to fund so many chapters they buffed the companion up too? Also holy shit yes, more Vampire. My precious leech babies. This shall soothe the sting of how long Secrets of the Covenants has taken

Also Roman Barbarian Werewolf sounds like fun even if I'm not a huge Werewolf fan.
>>
>>49011679
But in Soul Marks it says it can detect if someone's possessed. It doesn't say it can only detect if someone' possessed by a ghost.
>>
>>49011679
No?
>>
>>49011666
Colleges. Law firms. Police stations. Hospitals. Gang territories.
>>
>>49011710
>Seriously though what is Second Sight?
Mortal psychics.
>>
>>49011661
>Can Death determine if someone's possessed by a Spirit/Gulmoth with Soul Marks?
Yes. It detects possession.
>>
Is looking shit up on the internet a computers or investigation check?
>>
>>49011754
Any fun to play in a game with non-base mortals (Hunters, lower key supernaturals so your lack of rip and tear isn't that out of place, etc)?
>>
>>49011100
>it's probably going to see the most mechanical differences compared to its first edition of any CofD game so far.
I'm incredibly okay with this.

Looks like I've gotta watch Mama and ParaNorman.
>>
>>49011777
Academics, actually. Investigation is more solving puzzles or trying to piece together what happened. Academics is for researching things. Computers is more for understanding Computer Science things, like network security or programming.
>>
>>49011777
>scatophile
neither ,random porn searching shouldn't involve a roll
>>
>>49011710

Google is your friend, anon. Second Sight was a 1e mortals book about psychics, non-Awakened mages, and all that sorts of stuff. A lot of it has been folded into the CofD core, but I'm hoping the rest sees an update in the Companion.
>>
>>49011778
Yes. Fun to play with base mortals, too.
>>
>>49011825
>Google is your friend, anon
But then how can I drink and hang out with you guys since I have no Friday plans?
>>
>>49008005
mage magic could easilly, I'd think. Zero in an attribute means you're literally incapable, you're infirm or vegetative. Life magic could render down your physical stats and mind magic could do mental .
>>
File: trigger warning.jpg (109KB, 620x984px) Image search: [Google]
trigger warning.jpg
109KB, 620x984px
>>49011637
>roman egypt mummy
>roman barbarian werewolf
>not mixing this
>>
>>49011566
Death 1's Soul Marks, reading the health of the soul, and lack of abyssal shards.
Mind 1's Mental Scan, to determine if they know, or have seen the Supernal.
Prime 1's Supernal Vision, to literally see if they're connected to the Supernal.
Time 1's Divination, "will I harm <PERSON> by casting a spell right now".
>>
>>49011882
>tfw sitting alone in a starbucks for eight hours

I sympathize, anon.

That Roman Ægyptus setting for Mummy is shaling up really great, though; it got an expanded wordcount due to a snafu with someone's backer reward, and that's gonna go to more cult stuff and sekhem sorcerers. I actually tried to run a game set in Roman Alexandria, but my players were terrible and it quickly fell apart, so seeing a canon take will be really fun.
>>
>>49010692
That's because "Essence" is the most baseline. It is the energy of the universe, which sorta makes sense in its way. Essence is the baseline magic but supernaturals aren't all the same, they don't process it the same or use it the same. Even the god machine, which directly uses it uses it differently than spirits and werewolves.
>>
>>49011942
Do you work at a Starbucks or just have to use them for wireless? Either way, cheer yourself up with like a gallon of espresso.
>>
>>49011924

Requiem for Rome focused on Rome itself, Roman Mummy is centered on Egypt, Roman Werewolf is about the barbarians (presumably in Gaul, though I'll weep with joy if it touches on Britannia)... where would Roman Mage go? Maybe touch on Judea and Syria?
>>
>>49011942
>; it got an expanded wordcount due to a snafu with someone's backer reward

What, did someone dump like a thousand bucks or something for content in the main book they plain forgot to put in or something?
>>
Did Beast ever get better?
>>
>>49011924
Actually I'd kill for more crossover eras of seemingly disparate stuff, like Demon-Vampire Old West (with a smattering of werewolves in the rockies) or Werewolf-Mummy anything.
>>
File: -smelling-human-blood.jpg (107KB, 602x922px) Image search: [Google]
-smelling-human-blood.jpg
107KB, 602x922px
>>49011977
fixed
roman britain or syria is good
could have been kushan or parthian
>>
>>49012000

I believe a backer paid for specific material (Deceived and Shuankhsen) to be added into the WW1 Mummy setting and was pretty much ignored on every front, in favor of adding generic NPC statblocks and random encounter tables.
>>
File: laughing batgirls.jpg (90KB, 500x221px) Image search: [Google]
laughing batgirls.jpg
90KB, 500x221px
>>49012004
I don't think they've even had any books or new content. Did Beast even get a Dark Eras chapter? It came out first, right?
>>
>>49012054
they have a chapter, it's whats stalling the companion
they've got a couple books worked on but it has just come out
>>
>>49012004

There's some pregen characters, an antagonist book, a historical setting, and some awesome Hunter groups all on the way.

>>49012029
>Wild West Demon/Vampire
>implying that doesn't write itself

The Machine trying to tame the world with chains of railroad lines, served by great steam Angels who fight the fallen gunfighters who just want the rest of the world to let them live! Young and unpopular Kindred fleeing the cities under elder rule for centuries in order to carve out their own domains on the trail! Blood-drinkers and soul-thieves together on the fringe, fighting back against civilization!
>>
>>49011932
"Abyssal shards" isn't actually a thing. It's a Prime spell.

>>49012054
>>49012004
Beast got better in the final version. It's not that bad.
Unfortunately it's also Geist 2.0: We Forgot Games Need Things To Do.
>>
>>49012054
>>49012101
>>49012112

I just remember somebody saying they heard all of the SJW hate during beta and were looking at making them less victim-y.

Also, damn. Wild West WoD never occurred to me. I love it.
>>
>>49012140
>I just remember somebody saying they heard all of the SJW hate during beta and were looking at making them less victim-y.
they did change the prejudices (most)
arguable whether its better
>>
>>49012140
>Wild West WoD never occured to me

WtA had an entire series of books for that, including an awesome Mexico.
>>
>>49012128
>"Abyssal shards" isn't actually a thing. It's a Prime spell
I get that, however the sleeping curse, or Quiescence has been described various times as resulting from a "shard of the Abyss" in their soul.
>>
The God-Machine Chronicle just went on sale, but it says it requires the core World of Darkness rulebook to play...but I just checked the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook and it says it includes The God-Machine Chronicle in it...so should I get the Chronicles of Darkness rulebook or God-Machine Chronicle or what, I'm so confused.
>>
>>49012257

The God-Machine Chronicle ran off of the original New World of Darkness corebook, from first edition. The Chronicles of Darkness corebook is a standalone 2e book with the GMC stuff built in.
>>
>>49012279
So I'm better off just getting the Chronicles of Darkness book?...all right thanks!
>>
>>49012112
Wild West WoD is pretty hook filled for any splat with a tiny bit of thought, if even that. I actually wish we'd got at least ONE wild west Dark Ages chapter. I actually was hopeful when I saw God's Own Country as a chapter name in my book but then realized the timeline wasn't right. Then actually read the blurb.
>>
>>49012371

Yup, though all of the current 2e corebooks are standalone. You don't need the CofD corebook other than for a mortals-only game.
>>
>>49012429
I know, I was mostly thinking about getting that to maybe ease friends and folks into the setting since everything I ever see people want to play is D&D and Pathfinder.
>>
>>49012140
There wasn't SJW hate. There was, however, anti-SJW hate, with mentions of Gamergate. Honestly, in retrospect I feel like I got too caught up in the bandwagon and hated Beast myself for reasons that weren't really valid, but they definitely did tone down some of the "you're a horrible horrible monster" stuff.
They also made Heroes better. Not because Heroes are now a bit more nuanced and there's the possibility of positive, non-antagonistic Heroes, or that Heroes can be 'cured'.
No, because they fixed the fact that the narrative reasons for Heroes were more or less mechanically impossible.

"Every Beast will create Heroes" and then the mechanics basically involved being Satiety 1, avoid feeding, and actively chosen to take a Dramatic Failure (since the roll wasn't likely to involve a penalty). I'm glad they just went with "you know what they just exist" instead of tying them to player action, especially with such an unlikely occurrence being treated as super common.

>>49012249
Yeah, but as one of the people who used that phrase a lot, I realized that it's never actually been a thing, or at least it's not a thing in 2e. It's just how it was described to me, and how I ended up describing it to other people.

>>49012491
Definitely just get the corebook.
>>
>>49012523

Ehh. I'm pretty consistently branded an SJW online, but Beast's draft saying "Hercules was evil and also heterosexual" was just inexplicably retarded.

I'm just mad that the revisions muddied things up so much and removed the Homecoming concept.
>>
File: My what a guy.jpg (50KB, 541x797px) Image search: [Google]
My what a guy.jpg
50KB, 541x797px
>>49012564
I'll admit it's bad wording, but "This guy was only considered heroic because he was a paragon of heteronormativity".

I don't hate Beast, and I don't think that it's as bad as people treat it, even if it does have some queer themes (as everything inthe WoD does), but they definitely don't really do that good a job of explaining how Gaston and his ilk are embodiments of Toxic Masculinity.
>>
>>49012523
>I realized that it's never actually been a thing, or at least it's not a thing in 2e
It's referrenced twice in 2e, on page 13 in the description of the basic principle that Sleepers disrupt Magic, and page 50 when describing how the Libertines seek to save every soul at the same time.

Still, we're talking about souls which are invisible and intangible bar some form of Magic, which is reading the indescribable utilising parsable Symbols as interpreted by your nimbus.

Still, the influence of the Abyss is visible in a soul. Be it interpreted as a shard, coating, or chewy center.
>>
>>49012523

>There wasn't SJW hate.

People who usually get that term thrown on them (though that term's a garbage term) had a pretty negative reaction to Beast as well. Their points were "a lot of the way Beasts operate and are uncomfortably close to how abusive people function and their worldview doesn't help" and "This is a game that takes a stand against MRA and Gamergate be presenting their opponents as exactly the monsters that those two groups portray them as".

This is the argument that this Beast review presents: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/beast-the-primordial/
>>
>>49012784
>Their points were "a lot of the way Beasts operate and are uncomfortably close to how abusive people function and their worldview doesn't help

Given what Beasts do that is honestly pretty accurate. Not unlike when the same themes appear in vampire really, it should be embraced because the monstrosity is half the fun. And trying to not be one or be the best one you can be while grappling with other issues. That shit is meat and sinew to these games.
>>
>>49012776
Is it? Shit. Nevermind, then. I hate how WoD stuff is so spread out. I didn't see it in the Quiescence or Sleepwalker sections, so I assumed it wasn't a thing.

>>49012784
I know. I was one of those people, and some of those arguments are perfectly valid. But I kind of feel like the whole thing was essentially SomethingAwful whipping everyone into a frenzy. There's a double standard in how people viewed Beast and Vampire saying the same thing.

Ultimately I think that in the end the changes were better (except Lessons, which are basically meaningless), but I do feel that a lot of those mountains may have been more molehill than they seemed at the time. I have a goon friend who *still* refuses to even look at Beast's final draft, and made the insinuation that by *not hating* it, I was somehow complicit in abuse.

>OK, I'm not going to post in red text, because I'm very much a normal poster in this thread, but as a request - could we tone down the "OMG HEROES ARE FIREMEN WHY DO YOU HATE FIREMEN" stuff a little? Because that's really obviously not what we're going for, and frankly the question of why Heroes are called Heroes has been more than adequately answered.
I mean, this is the kind of thing that people kept saying, but there's basically no reason to even think that. Even in the original draft, it was clear that Heroes weren't good people, but everyone I saw wanted to bend over backward to make claims like that.

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like there was criticism to be made, but that the signal to noise ratio was higher than anything since Gamergate itself.
>>
>>49012756

I'm at the point where I think Beasts are really cool antagonists and I'm glad we've gotten the Merrick Institute out if them. We'll see if a later supplement blows my mind and sells me on the game like Mage and Mummy did.
>>
>>49012924
You're basically the primary poster of the OP Mummy forum, and you weren't sold on the core? What, did it take the Deceived book or Guildhalls to fluff things out more for you to hook in?

I'm genuinely curious, I found mummy appealing from the start because I like the idea of being this cursed being shambling through the broken veil of memory and time trying to make sense of it all and also sometimes vomiting up scarabs.
>>
>>49012564
That line was baffling, also it made me kind of angry for a stupid reason. Ancient heroes were huge dicks, but as far as they go, Hercules is one of the better ones, because at least he helped people occasionally.
>>
>>49012908
I definitely agree with you. I think there are a lot of "sparking" elements that tended to catch fire with Beast and made people treat it differently.

First is the otherkin element. Yeah, it's honestly a fucking stupid complaint for people to make considering you could make the same comparison with Werewolf.

Second is the fact that there is no Morality meter. Satiety is treated as one, but frankly, that's just a visual; Satiety is in all other respects closer to a juice stat.

And worst of all the antagonists are called "Heroes". The game is meant to be about how Gaston is a fuckhead who wanted to kill Beast to make Belle his wife against her will (does anyone remember when I watched Beauty and the Beast and gave a rundown of all the ways Gaston is evil and someone bent over backwards to say Beast deserved to die because he was a Beast? I even linked to a blog that spelled out in an essay how the depiction of Beast as an abusive and controlling boyfriend shows people didn't watch the movie).

All those sparks lead to a wildfire of Beasts being given less ground, despite the fact that "you're playing the monster!" has been the White Wolf schtick since Masquerade.

>>49012968
I don't wanna answer for him or anything, but Mummy's core was kind of badly written, and they tried something that didn't work in how they split it into a SUPER TOP SEKRIT ST section that... actually explained things that would help a player to actually play their character. I've always hated that "PLAYERS DON'T READ" section some books have.

>>49012924
Beasts could be cool antagonists, I guess. I just wish they were more playable, and didn't have wildly disparate and competing (even exclusionary) themes.
>>
>>49012968
deceived book
until then he kept shitting on the book here
>>
>>49012968

I thought Mummy was an overly-specific trash heap that aped Vampire with a thin Egyptian coat of paint and regressed to oWoD-style canon that was only good for hyperdetailed Hunter baddies. It took Book of the Deceived's awesome first chapter (the one about all the mythology) to make me go back and give the line a fair chance.
>>
>>49013044
When did Herakles help people out of the goodness of his heart?

Also, the line "bastards sired by his numerous heterosexual affairs" is... I see what they were getting at, but it feels poorly written. Ironically they don't really touch on the fact that he went insane and killed his wife because she gave him a shirt dipped in Nessus' blood.
>>
>>49013051
>and they tried something that didn't work in how they split it into a SUPER TOP SEKRIT ST section that... actually explained things that would help a player to actually play their character.

I just read it anyway, it wasn't really anything terrible. Like Book of the Deceived you should't touch if your GM isn't doing a Deceived game, but other than that it had some shit I think players would functionally need.
>>
>>49013068
Weird. I mean I loved the first chapter of book of the deceived, but the rest of it didn't hold me as tightly after. Probably since I'm not interested in playing one, so the pure fluff was all I wanted without useless boring 'rules' bogging it down.
>>
>>49013087
>When did Herakles help people out of the goodness of his heart?
Holding up the sky for Atlas, killing the Cacus, fighting Antaeus and capturing the Erymanthian boar, rescuing Alcestis and freeing Prometheus from eternal torment.
>>
>>49013150

It's still my favorite book in the line (though the new Dark Eras might win me over, and I keep campaigning for a book focused on cultists), but I see what you mean; the Deceived are rare antagonists and niche player options, and seba are literally never going to come up outside of a Deceived game. While the book isn't terribly useful (my evil kung fu masters notwithstanding), it's a lot of fun to read.
>>
File: mummers.jpg (64KB, 960x536px) Image search: [Google]
mummers.jpg
64KB, 960x536px
>>49013068
>and regressed to oWoD-style canon that was only good for hyperdetailed Hunter baddies

What do you mean by that? The hunter thing is throwing me off more than anything else.
>>
Oh yeah? Well all serial killers are homos

They like dick so much they cut them off and collect them
>>
>>49013334
mummy sucked to play
they'd be good enemies for hunters
>>
>>49013400
I'm playing a mummy and having fun. Though I have a human cultist for when he's in henet so I do see the problem.
>>
>>49013051

I wouldn't say Mummy core's badly written as much as it had the same problem Mage 1e's core had: it was very poorly organized, and this absolutely comes from the need to have a secret ST section, a concept which should have died with Deadlands.

2e Mummy's gonna be great if they get the right developer and dump the OOC gimmick.
>>
>>49013334

I thought that mummies only worked as insividual bad guys to plop at the top of your conspyramid. Like a lot of folks, I didn't understand how long Descents lasted or how much freedom the Arisen actually have to act.
>>
>>49013446
was just translating
i don't think the game's shit but i don't think it's worth obsessing over like aj
>>
>>49013517
Descents average out to like 9 months when you're only semi-pursuing your goals or getting sekhem resets from Judge approval right?
>>
>>49013523

I don't obsess, it's just more noticeable because so few other people like the game. I like pretty much all of the CofD lines!
>>
>>49013558
I sort of do because I like it and play one and never, ever see much discussion anywhere. And even if I made an account to go on the OP forums there's not enough other life there to really sustain conversation.

Plus I enjoy vampire and werewolves and am working through some other lines now, so this covers all my interest bases in one spot.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 1160x477px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 1160x477px
>>49013552

398.5 days is the absolute minimum length of time for a Descent, barring extraordinary circumstances like dying a few times or having Sekhem drained by an amkhat.
>>
>>49013646
don't breaking points lower the time?
>>
>>49013721
No but you can lose a sekhem level by offending your judge or going way off mission.
>>
>>49013721

Funny you mention that! /Raising/ Memory prompts an immediate Descent roll.

The Judges was unthinking servants, not for you to rebuild your sense of self.
>>
>>49013885

*want, not was.
>>
>>49013102
>>49013499
>I just read it anyway, it wasn't really anything terrible
Well obviously you'd read it anyway. But WW/OPP already has a problem with spreading information out, and that's just the epitome of it. I mean, I've spent the last week or so trying to figure out just what the requirements are for completing the Great Work in Promethean, and I thought I was wrong about the "shard of the Abyss" because it wasn't talked about in the Sleepwalker or Quiescence sections only to have >>49012776 point out that it isn't just a thing my first ST made up, and is just mentioned elsewhere.
>2e Mummy's gonna be great if they get the right developer and dump the OOC gimmick.
Do you mean the SUPER TOP SEKRIT section, or something else I'm not familiar with?

I've always thought those kind of sections are sort of weird. Knowing stuff like the basic metaphysics and how you work makes playing a character a lot easier, even if they're ignorant. It's basic dramatic irony, and it's possible to keep player and character knowledge separate while allowing player knowledge of the setting to inform how the character acts. More weird is the fact that it really only works the first time. Do they expect people to only ever play one game of Mummy? And what if it turns out that the people playing the game don't like the game after the reveal? That's information they could have had to start with, but instead there's this PLAYERS DON'T READ gimmick.
(That last bit is also why I hate STs trying to be coy and not say what their game is about. I don't want to create a random character concept that I like only to find out I'm a bookish nerd with a lot of contacts and the game has us crashed on Yamatai from Tomb Raider.

>>49013159
Weren't most of those things that he did to further his own ends? I mean, I'm too lazy to go double check the rest, but I know that for Atlas he held up the world only so that Atlas could help him finish one of his tasks.
>>
>>49014049
>I don't want to create a random character concept that I like only to find out I'm a bookish nerd with a lot of contacts and the game has us crashed on Yamatai from Tomb Raider.

But then you can be the lesbian love interest!
>>
>>49014049

>Do you mean the SUPER TOP SEKRIT section, or something else I'm not familiar with?

Yeah, that one. Opening up the setting and accepting that players will inherently come into the game with more setting knowledge than PCs will lead to a better game. You can't really go in blind when it comes to a lot of CofD games, or the game suffers a little.
>>
>>49014244

No one wants to be the lesbian love interest. They die like 90% of the time.
>>
File: 48a9d2fd2b9ac8709b453e328011b43e.jpg (164KB, 900x1128px) Image search: [Google]
48a9d2fd2b9ac8709b453e328011b43e.jpg
164KB, 900x1128px
>>49014244
Fuck I wanna play Rise just to know how Lara and Sam's relationship grows. I don't even care if it was just yuri goggles, that relationship is just so good. If I have to resort to yuri goggles to see a well done lesbian relationship so be it. I loved being a girl going to rescue her princess instead of a big strong dudeman.
>>49014350
You shush! I don't want that to happen in Tomb Raider. I haven't played Rise, but I'm pretty sure Sam isn't dead (though I'm also pretty sure they're not actually lesbians despite how much I want that). I want the whole series to just be Sam and Lara adventuring together and being cute.

>>49014315
Yeah. It's especially egregious when you basically have to create a character without knowing their backstory because the SEKRIT REVELATIONS are kept from you. It's like putting your clothes on in the dark.
>>
>>49014570
Rise of the Tomb Raider is largely a Lara solo adventure with only minor appearances by her surviving cast from the previous game.

However if we get a third one I think the threads of the two games will wrap up together in trilogy conclusion format.
>>
Whats a better fit for my idea of a figure skater ice queen mage? Obrimos or Moros. Moros give me acces to cold and ice but Obrimos gives me access to Blizzards
>>
>>49014878

Pick the one with a secondary you like more (Death or Prime) and then take the opposite one (Forces or Matter) as a Legacy Arcanum.
>>
Forces 3 can Freeze Water aleady right?
>>
>>49015117
forces 2 can with control heat
>>
>>49015129
Yeah but don't you need perfecting for complete freeze?
>>
>>49015187
no
but you can start with 3 anyways
was talking about this before i got banned
>>
>>49015276
So what would perfecting heat be exactly?
>>
>>49015385
instant shift to absolute 0 or vaporization
>>
>>49014878
I'd say that you could also do similar "create a blizzard" things with Death. Keep in mind that "the book doesn't have an example of it" isn't really proof that it can't be done.

>>49015276
Banned? Who are you on OPP?
Wait, are you Geckopirateship?
>>
>>49015454
So Ruling Version is not instant?
>>
File: control heat.png (97KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
control heat.png
97KB, 600x327px
>>49015844
>>
Is Ed Scissorhands an Unfleshed or a Stein?
>>
>>49018261
>Ed

You are not close enough friends to call him Ed
>>
>>49018390
Just answer the question.

Personally I'm leaning more in favor of Unfleshed. But that's just me.
>>
>>49018261
I'd say human with fucking scissors for hands.
>>
>>49011637
>Russian Revolution Demon
I has actually an idea for Russian revolution demon. However it was mainly focused on angels and G-M trying to desperately holding unsteady time stream together while protagonists would be running around trying not to get exterminated for being security threats.
>>
>>49018261
I haven't seen the movie in forever, but I'd say unfleshed if he gets too focused in his'purpose'.
>>
https://youtu.be/vq5sZPPF9ao

Is this how one should play True Fae?
>>
>>49012922
>>OK, I'm not going to post in red text, because I'm very much a normal poster in this thread, but as a request - could we tone down the "OMG HEROES ARE FIREMEN WHY DO YOU HATE FIREMEN" stuff a little? Because that's really obviously not what we're going for, and frankly the question of why Heroes are called Heroes has been more than adequately answered.
>I mean, this is the kind of thing that people kept saying, but there's basically no reason to even think that. Even in the original draft, it was clear that Heroes weren't good people, but everyone I saw wanted to bend over backward to make claims like that.
Saying it's obviously not what they were going for when major part of people understood it that way is sign of really bad writing. And no one says that Heroes are good people, just that they are lesser of two evils. Although Nemeses were meant to fill vigilante/antihero niche, Heroes really did fill it better.

>>49013051
Trying to find some deeper meaning in Disney film for children tells a lot about maturity of all sides of such arguments.

>>49013087
>>49013159
>>49014049
Where did you learn about Greek mythology from? Xena?
Heracles was mainly tragic hero, constantly fucked with by gods, just few of his mishaps were caused because he was too hot headed(prone to kill for minor offences). He didn't kill hiss wife who gave him the shirt, she killed herself when she found out what she did. He killed his family before though when Hera made him insane. He tried to atone for the murder by doing those labours.
Greeks were in general likely to make both their heroes and gods same as they were - no saints but no devils.
>>
Dave, I'm starving for an open dev blog on Deviant. Dave I'm dying of hunger.
>>
>>49020457

Leave Dave alone. He needs to focus on spending his precious time finishing the Mage FAQ and the promised extra content about Mage antagonists and legacies.
>>
>>49020563

Right now, I need to finish writing a Beast stretchgoal, but those things are in the future.

Deviant will get Open Dev, eventually. Just not yet.
>>
>>49020643

So much important Mage content delayed by Beast, that's so... disappointing.

I at least hope there's some Mage crossover material in the Beast stretch goal. Maybe Hal can make an appearance.
>>
I'm creating a mage friendly/sorta antagonist NPC for a prom 2e game, and I think at this point I'm just going to have the guy use the Mysteries template from Witch Finders. It is just so much easier than writing up a full mage for a non-mage game.

The guy is going to be Death/Prime/Matter, I think I was going with a hoodou themed Moros. Both fascinated and a little obsessed with how the heck this person who is dead, can be walking around with some false soul inside them. A little exploitive, but genuinely trying to help this baby super-zombie figure out how to live. Possibility for romance triggers (I guess even knowing they are walking corpses can't stop feels), and a lot of condescending attitudes toward whatever lore the Promethean brings up (I'll blame Dave B's Halcyon for that).

Overall, should be fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 700x480px
I'm reading through the Tales of the Dark Eras, I loved Hoarse (struck me as "God-Machine before Christ", which is dope as fuck) as well as Bone and Gold. Was he a Proximi? A Sleepwalker? Cool either way. I love Antiquity settings. I'd love to see a write up for Mesopotamia CoD, though I'm not sure which game line would suit it best (im inclined to say Msge but I feel like they got a lot of play in Dark Eras already).
>>
File: Wodsecondsight.png (684KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Wodsecondsight.png
684KB, 612x792px
>>49011637
>>1890s New England Second Sight

So that would include a 2e update, since second sight is 1e?
>>
>>49020643

Is it Building a Legend or are you doing a faction for Mortal Remains?
>>
Can anyone help me out?

Does anyone know if there's a discord bot that can handle CofD dice?
>>
Is there any Demon focused hunter group besides the jean Claude van-damme roadhouse kick tatt guys?
>>
>>49021323
Nope. Demon came out at the start of 2e, and Mortal Remains is the only Hunter book to come out since, so Knights of Saint Adrian are the only group Hunter has focused on them.
>>
>>49020041
People willingly misinterpreting something doesn't mean anything. The entire point of my post was that most of the complaints were just mob mentality. That part wasn't even from when the playtest was leaked, it was beforehand.

>Trying to find some deeper meaning in Disney film for children tells a lot about maturity of all sides of such arguments.
Oh grow the fuck up.

>She bore him a son and a daughter,[3] whom Heracles killed when Hera struck him with temporary madness; in their hero-tombs in Thebes they were venerated as the Chalkoarai.[4] In some sources Heracles slew Megara too,[5] in others, she was given to Iolaus when Heracles left Thebes forever. She was mother of Leipephilene by Iolaus.[6]
>>
>>49021404
Nice. I was thinking of a conspiracy focused on Demon that was like James bond style super spies, but unbeknownst to them, their 'Q' resource was G-d created infrastructure tech all linked to a sort of 'divine' mask.
>>
>>49012922
>There's a double standard in how people viewed Beast and Vampire saying the same thing.

I seem to recall Vampire angsts about how awful you are, beast goes out of its way to provide rationalizations for being a monster to those totally deserving strawmen. They were completely different.
>>
>>49020789

I would like to see a story or AP were an uppity Prom alchemist tries some crap against an Awakened mage (Moros alchemist?) and subsequently, and quite painfully, becomes aware of his supernatural insignificance.
>>
>>49021538
Their Q could easily just be an Angel, or a Simulacra. Or, hell, even an Infiltrator.
The devices they get would certainly qualify as Gadgets, if they needed to be.
>>
Any care to share Mummy: Curse of the Blue Nile or Tales of Dark Eras?

Thanks.
>>
>>49021607
>beast goes out of its way to provide rationalizations for being a monster to those totally deserving strawmen

If that's couched as entirely IC rather than voice of god, that would still be fine with me. Plus gives other PCs in a mixed game things to call you out on.
>>
>>49021686
In one of the anthology stories, a beast totally gets called on being a shit by a mage.
>>
>>49021607
>>49021686
I don't think the book itself ever actually goes out of its way to say Beasts are in the right. The whole "Lessons" thing having no mechanics is actually basically just the book saying "this is how they justify how horrible they are to themselves"

Beasts problem isn't that it's a game about being horrible people, it's that there's no reason to play it over any other CofD game, because anything you can do in Beast can be done to a better extent in another game, except for Lairs(which you could arguably do with Boltholes in Demon).
They have no social structure, no reason for a group of them to stick together, and no reason for any of them to do anything except sit on their ass until they get hungry, then just go out and be a dick for a bit, and go back to sitting on their ass.
>>
>>49021760
>>49021686
>>49021607
Beast and Vampire said some of the exact same things and yet people treated Beast as if it was different. Vampire has gone on the "we deserve to exist" schtick, sometimes in the same book where blood orgies and ritualistic mass murder are described.

>>49020789
I definitely encourage using Witch Finders and similar, though don't hold yourself to that template, either. Your players only need to know he's a WIZARD. You can have him do Spells you remember, or you could use Numina, or Dread Powers, or the Mysteries. Players don't need to know or care about the behind the scenes. They're enjoying the movie, they don't need to know how the animatronics work.
Also, I wouldn't say he should be condescending. I don't think Halcyon (from the Beast thing?) was just shitting on the Beast because Mages Are Always Right. A good Mage should be *curious* when a Promethean starts talking about the Principle or something.
I also approve of "romance triggers". Best games have dating sim elements.

>>49021647
I think the entire point of Alchemists is that they're aware that they're not "significant". They know they're not as strong as Prometheans, but they want power desperately enough that they'll try to grab it.
>>
>>49021760
We were talking about Beast v0 leaks that caused everyone to NOPE, before the lessons were instated anyway.
>>
>>49021760
Boltholes kind of suck, and Demon lets you just be monsters, albeit mostly in your mind, without the baggage of changeling. Although at least with Changeling, you also get Kiths to make that monster unique without even having to use the special powers.
I wonder how much better Beast creation would be if you allowed the players to take a Kith from Changeling to flesh out their Horror and add some mechanical significance...

>>49021873
Even in the first version, the argument that Beasts were saying they're totally right isn't all that good an argument against it. I mean, people still say the same thing about Mage. some people even say it about Werewolf.
>>
>>49021760
>and no reason for any of them to do anything except sit on their ass until they get hungry, then just go out and be a dick for a bit, and go back to sitting on their ass.

That would make for an amazing villain in another game. Trying to figure out who is doing supernatural crimes in your turf, and it seems to happen randomly and you can't figure out underlying patterns. Catch up eventually and it turns out they were just hungry and finished binge watching shit on Netflix that night or something.
>>
>>49021916
It's not so much "beasts self-justify" as "the book justifies with no seeming sense of self awareness".

And people were obviously more sensitive due to the fact that Beasts do completely mundane acts of abuse, they don't do fantastical things like drink blood or extremely rare things like serial killing.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?758077-Beast-So-BtP-is-contentious-Is-there-(and-should-there-be)-a-fix/page11#post19076787
>>
>>49022160
Vampire also mechanically encourages players to cling to their humanity instead of going full monstrous.
>>
>>49021323

Utopia Now, in the same book.
>>
>>49012784
Don't forget the RPG.net mods forbidding that kind of talk.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?751112-Beast-the-Primordial-teaser-thread/page116#post18873967
>>
>>49022650
Oh, right, those guys.
>>
>>49021033

Werewolf had a brief Sumerian setting in 1e that was pretty cool, tucked away in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide.
>>
>>49022650
Weren't they a compact? Or did they get two conspiracies?
>>
>>49022865

They were a Compact, but the poster was only asking about Hunter groups in general.

>not preferring Compacts over Conspiracies anyway
>>
>>49022820
I just can't take them seriously. Libertarians who want to build an utopia in the middle of the ocean? I wonder where I've seen that done before.
>>49022887
>Preferring compacts to Donnie, Mary and Mike keeping the neighborhood safe.
>>
>>49022952
>implying they aren't members of the Union
>>
>>49021760
Is there a Lesson for teaching guys not to wear fedoras?
>>
>>49022972
Unions are for pinko-commies nowadays. Proud and patriotic Americans should avoid them.
>>
File: 500.jpg (23KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
500.jpg
23KB, 500x288px
>>
>>49023048
>>
>>49013646
Are you still stuck using Apple products?
>>
File: not that easy.jpg (616KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
not that easy.jpg
616KB, 2448x3264px
>>49023051
>>
>>49021455
>People willingly misinterpreting something

>interrogating the text from the wrong perspective

Stop willingly misinterpreting other people as wrong. :^)
>>
>>49021455
>That part wasn't even from when the playtest was leaked, it was beforehand.

And that matters why. The same problems were already evident in every post Matt spewed.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?751112-Beast-the-Primordial-teaser-thread/page93
>>
>>49023048
Fagness forgot to link the new thread
>>
File: boulder_is_confused.jpg (9KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
boulder_is_confused.jpg
9KB, 259x195px
>>49023055
>>49023708
>>
>>49022844
Neat, I'll check it out! It'd be nice if it got a full write up for 2e!
If only I'd had money during the Kickstarter.
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.