[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if you took the mechanics used for combat and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1454793224237.jpg (168KB, 1024x559px) Image search: [Google]
1454793224237.jpg
168KB, 1024x559px
What would happen if you took the mechanics used for combat and applied them to exploration?

You treat the environment like an enemy, but instead of making attack rolls to knock down its HP you are making exploration rolls to make progress toward your destination. The environment has its own skills and powers it uses to either damage you, delay you, or throw you off course.
>>
Strike! uses this as an example but not for the main combat rules, the other combat minigame.
>>
>>48982663

I could have sworn that concept was used in Ravenloft once.
>>
>>48982663
>Paladin
>"YOU SEE THAT MOUNTAIN? YOU CAN CLIMB IT!"
>"I SMITE MY CLIMB ROLL"
>DEUS VULT!
>>
>>48982663
That is an interesting way of putting it. To be honest I'm kinda bored of the old, "You will arrive at your destination in 4 rounds (5 if you get lost). I will now roll 4 times on the random encounter table."

I may just try this in my session tomorrow.
>>
>>48982663
Alright, so how would we model this?
I'm thinking HP as an abstract representation of distance to one's destination. This means that getting lost in the terrain is represented by the terrain using a healing ability.

Next, I'd ask if the PCs should act as a unit with combined resources, or if they are treated separately (or possibly a mixture of both?)?
How I'd run it is by having the party have an abstract amount of "provisions" (representing food, water, and survival tools relevant to the environment).
The terrain's attacks first do damage to the party by removing provisions, then by doing damage directly to the PCs once provisions run out. That said, I wonder if food and water should be treated seperately?
Maybe have the highest bushcraft-esque skill amongst the PCs act as Damage Reduction?

From this, you would stat a harsh mountain with moderate HP and high damage, whereas an enchanted forest would have high HP, low damage, and a lot of self-healing abilities.

On top of this you have special abilities, which could force the players to make tough choices (lose x provisions or the terrain gets y hp) or maybe to start an encounter with random monsters?
>>
File: 1470323878741.jpg (715KB, 1280x828px) Image search: [Google]
1470323878741.jpg
715KB, 1280x828px
>>48984673
>act as a unit with combined resources, or if they are treated separately (

That's the problem I've wrestled with in the past. If you act as a unit, it's basically the guy with wilderness/navigation/survival skills that dominates play (the Ranger usually) because he leads the group while everyone just sits there and lets him do his thing. So it gets boring for everyone except the Ranger.

If separately, most people get screwed and end up lost, thirsty and/or starving, because it's not their speciality.

It's a cool concept but hard to do well.
>>
The conflict systems of Torchbearer and FATE can do that perfectly well.
>>
File: I cast magic missile.gif (2MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
I cast magic missile.gif
2MB, 512x288px
>>48982663
I could cast magic missile at the darkness.
>>
>>48984673
I wouldn't go with the enviroment attacking the player or too abstract provisions. Instead, the enviroment should pose challenges, such as bad weather, difficult terrain or random encounters to the players.

Provisions can simply be consumed based to time (days of travel) and can be refilled on the road with wilderness survival modified by circumstance (terrain, weather, season). Water and food should be treated seperately, though water is far more important. Depending on the setting, food can almost be disregarded as a ressource outside dire circumstances due to combat rations existing.
>>
>>48982663
I mean, that's already kind of a thing, it just takes effort to effectively implement so lazier dms might skip it.

You can encounter obstacles, swift rivers, steep cliffs, slippery ice, that require rolling different skill checks to successfully pass and success can vary leading to damage or delays.

If anything, trying to model it after combat would only lead to the encounters being simplified imo.
>>
>>48984802
Wilderness/navigation/survival skill can be used to supplement the challenges and obstacles instead of replacing them.
Instead of them somehow rolling bypass a cliff that provides a difficult climb challenge have them notice the best path of hand-holds that would lower the skill check or provide a bonus to climbing. You could even allow them to transfer some of the benefit to the rest of the party by showing the way.

>>48985815
As to the environment "attacking" the players I think there is some room for effective implementation. Imagine the players trying to rescue people from a town being progressively flooded as the dam gives under a magical storm, just as one character hands a baby off to someone higher up there's a crash and rumble as a rush of water floods down the street and the character has to roll to not be washed away. Imagine the whole party making their way up a cliff on sheer drops and narrow ledges when one character makes a jump and grab for a precarious grip and, though successful, sends a tumble of rocks right at another character. You can also have magical and fantastical terrain that complicates other challenges or provide dangers of their own, even mundane things like lava flows.
>>
>>48982672
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
I find this to be needlessly gamey and has an extremely negative effect on my verisimilitude.
>>
>>48987771
Nobody cares about your very smileys. :)
>>
>>48982663
This picture is beautiful and makes me happy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.