[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on the Spelljammer setting? I'm thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Spelljammer.jpg (598KB, 1000x684px) Image search: [Google]
Spelljammer.jpg
598KB, 1000x684px
What are your thoughts on the Spelljammer setting? I'm thinking of integrating parts of it into a campaign I'm running currently.
>>
It's cool, I just wish it could settle on a tone a little better.

It gets pretty goofy sometimes.
>>
File: Bionoid.jpg (1MB, 1226x1134px) Image search: [Google]
Bionoid.jpg
1MB, 1226x1134px
>>48980439
always loved it, it had some great monster concepts like pic related, a fuckin guyver homage
>>
>>48980515
Yo.
That's fucking awesome.
>>
>>48980439
In theory, it's a great concept. In actuality, you're better off playing Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader, or Edge of the Empire.

Just realized that FFG should totally re-make Spelljammer using the 5e SRD.
>>
I'm going to do the same thing for if the plot goes south. They'll have to take control of the SpellJammer being secretly built at the premier mags guild to escape the planet to another setting if the end boss wins.
>>
File: Hawkwind -woteot.jpg (81KB, 450x449px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkwind -woteot.jpg
81KB, 450x449px
Much underused as a means of connecting all other settings together. I would love to begin a campagin in Forgotten Realms and be captured in slaving excersion on a Spelljammer ship, overthrow our Ithilid/Githyank/Beholder crew and fly that fucker straight through a portal to Ebberon, from there we accidently retreat through a portal to Sigil and from there we find a way back through one of the surrounding planes and escape back to Planescape, to our Spelljammer.
>>
People like it

I'm not interested in it.
>>
>>48980439
Pretty cool but it's hardly a setting of its own. There should've been some sort of cluster independent of other published settings that the majority of the content was taking place in. You know, like Caribbean
>>
>>48980439

The idea was awesome but they never really developed it in a truly usable direction, leaving it in a sort of D&D/Start Trek Original Series crossover zone that was frequently not just bad, but Christmas special levels of bad.

Personally, one thing I'm hyped to do is run a Planescape/Spelljammer crossover where Sigil is the "capitol planet," Planescape mechanics are used for the "core worlds," and Spelljammer mechanics are used for the "outer rim" and the people who specifically make their living in the "in between places" or by ferrying passengers and goods through the cheap-but-dangerous paths.
>>
Considering running a campaign in it. Honestly, if you're interested in it just because it links together other settings, it's pretty meh in that regard. But if you're willing to do some legwork (or make a patchwork from the published materials), then I think you could come up with some pretty interesting stuff. The Astromundi Cluster setting for Spelljammer was absolutely fantastic, and is probably what I'd base a Spelljammer setting off if I ran a campaign using it.
>>
>>48980515
Holy shit.
How did I not see this before?
>>
>>48980439
I ran a 3.5 game that had bits in it. They found an ancient elven navy frigate in an abandoned mind flayer enclave, corpses scattered around.
They eventually pieced together that the elves had attacked the Ilithids, and won a phyrric victory, but all their mages died in the attack leaving nobody able to piloit the ship and get them out of there. Fearing attack from the mind flayer allies they sent a distress signal back to base and sealed the enclave. The palyers then turn up 2,000 years later and shenanigans ensue.

The biggest problem I had was that I had to use a mash up of the narative naval combat (which actaually worked pretty well) for short range encounters and fall back to the AD&D spelljammer rules for interstellar travel etc, it worked fine and everyone was happy with it, but felt a bit handwavy in places.

If anyone is aware of a 3.5/PF compatable ruleset I wouild appreciate it.
>>
>>48982707
>>
>>48980439
Literally Treasure Planet.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.