[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else having trouble reading through rulebooks? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: horny helmet.jpg (113KB, 704x748px) Image search: [Google]
horny helmet.jpg
113KB, 704x748px
Anyone else having trouble reading through rulebooks? I'm a big reader otherwise, but I just can't get through rulebooks (probably because I "have" to do it, kind of like those books you were forced to read in high school; you would probably enjoy it and do it faster if it wasn't a chore).

Anyone have tips for getting better at this?
>>
>>48963928
I want that hat.
>>
>>48963928
>skim it, get familiar with what the sections all are

>read snippets of lore, character class descriptions, look at the art to get a feel of what the game is all about

>look at each class/race in depth

>make a character

Do a complete character from start to finish. You'll have to look stuff up as needed. It will feel natural and like there's a good reason for it, and it's less intimidating than going from cover to cover.
>>
>>48963928
Most game rulebooks are edited like shit, and nearly all of them aren't written to be easy to read (they try to be easy to reference and 9/10 of them fail at that).

You need to understand, when the game begins 1. How you roll dice, 2. How to adjudicate stuff that's not in the rules, and 3. how to make a character.

Character class and gear options won't make much sense until you understand how the balance works, which is many kinds of a pain in the ass to do in theory as opposed to practice. Besides, you should play the game as written at least once, so don't worry about balance.

Once you know *how* to play, you can always check the book for options. Some systems, you'll probably never be comfortable enough with the options to know them off-hand (Pathfinder, Shadowrun...).
>>
>>48964029
You sound like someone who's played nothing but d20
>>
>>48963928
It's wierd with me, I'll get obsessed with a system and read the rulebook front to back about 4 times but for all the games I'm in reading the books feels like a chore, but that's mainly because 40k is kinda boring me now and DnD has nothing interesting anyhow.
>>
>>48964049
Honestly that's my experience with all rulebooks.
>>
>>48964049
I can confirm the problem exists into d100 systems as well.
>>
>>48963928

As >>48964001 specified, making a character is a concrete goal you can use to guide you.

The real trick is getting through any of the lore pages. You have to slowly warm your way up to those if you happen to be interested in certain aspects of the gameworld and nibble away at them, taking in only a couple pages at a time.
>>
Make a character and read lore that interests you.
>>
>>48964049
You never saw a rulebook of Exalted, yeah? It's a nice game, but fuck, EDITING WHERE AAARE YOUUU
>>
>>48963928

Blame the writers/ruler makers.

A good rulebook will be intuitive and well written. It should be easy to read and follow.
>>
How would you fatguys edit a rulebook together then?

Right now my chapters are About the game, Character creation, Classes, Skills, Items, Mechanics, Combat, Sub-classes, Magic, The world, GMing, and Enemies
>>
>>48967106
similarly to this as id guess a player/gm would want that info in that order for char creation
>>
>>48967106
Put the mechanics before character creation. I want to know how the game works before starting making a character, otherwise I have no way of telling what the numbers mean in play.
>>
>>48963928
Have you tried not playing D&D?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.