[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

File: 1470371972622.png (820KB, 1054x604px) Image search: [Google]
1470371972622.png
820KB, 1054x604px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I'm sure plenty of you have some to toss out there and hopefully get answered.

>If you're on a time sensitive, high priority mission, is it a war crime to shoot someone who might be an enemy?
>>
>>48962635
If it's a society that isn't as couth or just very militaristic you would be fine as long as they didn't end up being a high ranking officer from your side. If it's a very bueracratic society then it would be a court martial if it was anyone, but the enemy and even if it was you'd get chewed out because you were uncertain.

My question:
>How do I explain how the rich are able to keep the spatial anomolies that plague the surrounding areas out of their city using science?
>>
>>48962759
there are tons of ways to do this, depends on the feel you want and what's driving the spatial anomolies.

More information is required.
>>
File: Final Fantasy VII-Midgard.jpg (197KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy VII-Midgard.jpg
197KB, 1024x768px
>>48962838
It's basically a setting where monsters have began to enter Earth through dimensional rifts at almoat random. It happens often enough that almost anywhere with little to no defense capibilites are impossible to live in. The only safe settlemwnts are giant walled off cities. I wanna go for an FF7 feel.
>>
>>48963073
Stabilizing field covering the city limits, with walls to keep any monster from the outside wandering in?
>>
What would an AI be like if it was suddenly running off of 100 million neural implants?
>>
>>48962759
>How do I explain how the rich are able to keep the spatial anomolies that plague the surrounding areas out of their city using science?
The superscience tech requires exotic components (specific alloy of two expensive/dangeroud metals) and expensive maintenance (if the cable that surrounds and protects the town ever drifts away from the superconductive sweet-spot of 12.225 degrees Celsius, shit's fucked). The government was slow to react, and by time they realized that they needed this shit and were able to mobilize, seizing survival necessities became impossible as the incredibly wealthy already set up their own little baronies and defended the tech producers militarily.

>What level of AIs should I make standard in my cyberpunk game? Obviously there will be secret/emergent hyperadvanced AIs, but will the average AI on the street be human-level, sapient, sentient-but-not-sapient, or just a more advanced chatbot+Siri?
>>
>>48963166
Explain further. I have little idea how much 100 million of those amounts to, and how are they being integrated into the AI?

My first inclination is the AI doesn't change its underlying programming, as the neurons aren't core to its function. Certain less linear functions may be possible. Maaaybe if it's very advanced and can have emotive or similar emulation those things can be run as being more realistic. But again, it shouldn't cause true sentience if it didn't have that already.
>>
>>48963286
neural implants, as in computer implants that interface with your brain. The AI is now running through syncrhonous computation of spare computational power on 100 million neural implants
>>
>>48963166
If it is able to interact with all the users' memories? A crapshoot. It might go insane from a sudden wave of information, emotional feedback, etc. It might also achieve digital enlightenment, literally becoming one with everyone. Does it Zero-Sum or does it achieve CHIM?

If it just runs as before but with a spread out processor? It may become super protective of its procesors as it gets "dumber" every time one dies, especially if the pool doesn't replenish itself with new implantees. It could become a (secret?) benevolent dictator as it is in its best intrest for humanity (or at least a portion of it) to flourish. However, it may get more reckless as it doens't have a physical location that can be attacked anymore; short of someone releasing a bioweapon, there's not much to be done against a processor that's 100 million individuals scattered across a nation/continent/globe.
>>
>>48963304
Its going to have big problems with bottle necking.
>>
>>48963420
You

Explain further
>>
>>48963441
Its going to be heavily limited by connection speed of the network. It's basically running like a p2p rather than a supercomputer. It'd be great for doing things simultaneously, not so great on actual power.
>>
>>48963460
That's a very relative statement

The average neural implant is stronger than a modern computer, and is the size of the palm of your hand.

If it helps my case, the AI wasn't designed to run this way, it's core got destroyed so it jumped ship.
>>
There types of threads are defintely needed. I would say we should make this a general but we already have to many of those.

I have questions that are silly and in parts but I kept pondering over it:
4chan becomes a real place with the special spell of transforming everyone who enters as pic related; same height, weight, and voice. The only two ways to rid of theach spell is to say your name, thus becoming a namefag, or by being a moderator, as of everyone under the spell knows who to look out for.

How big do you think this place is considering the amount of people who comes to this site? Is each board a block in a city or a city in a country?

And just thinking about it, what would our Government and Economy be like?
>>
>>48963492
I'm not saying it can't function, but having millions of separate processors isn't as useful as you'd think. It'd constantly have to synchronise across all of those platforms, which reduces speed considerably.
>>
>>48963245
Thats perfect, thanks

The average a.i. should be like a child out of the box, simplistic and not understanding of complex introspective comcepts, but become more human the more they interact with humans (which is what a.i. should do in real life). So a food service robot that's worked in a diner for 10 years plus can keep up a conversation at an adult human level, but if he broke and they needed a new model the just activated a.i. would be like an autistic man in comparison (but with better learning capabilities).
>>
>>48963519
>These types
>that is silly
>rid of the spell
>grammar in general

I'm not tired, just illiterate
>>
>>48963245
>>48963541
It also depends on what specific purpose the AI was made for. One that manages a factory floor is going to be different than one that interacts with people on a much more social level.
>>
>>48963567
>>48963567
It was a general purpose learning AI, built as a research project to prove it could be done, that a pure intelligence could exist. Then it was corrupted and forced to function as a city manager, a city of ~1 billion people.

I'll ponder this some more
>>
Why the fuck are people okay with having to drop their entire MTG decks every time a new update comes out?
>>
>>48963594
Personally, I like trying new decks and revolving strategies. I had to stop because of price, rather than the model.
>>
File: 1472006630579.jpg (52KB, 470x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472006630579.jpg
52KB, 470x800px
Working on a Dancer Bard Subclass for D&D 5e. Trying to get a good name for an ability they can enter for a turn that boosts defense allows them to then use various area buffs.
Right now I've got the action/ability/state called Dance ("I use my action to enter a Dance...) and the buffs/maneuvers called Styles (...and activate Waltz style")
How do those sound? What sounds better? What's a good naming motif for the Styles/Forms/Maneuvers?
>>
>>48963304
So wait, the AI is just plugged into to a hundred million people? There's a few things you can do with that I suppose, depending if the subjects keep any individuality.
>>
>>48964008
I think the idea is the implant is more like an implanted smart phone, and the AI is piggy backing itself across the network.
>>
>>48964008
this
>>48964038

Except the AI can read memories (can't write them though)
>>
How do you deal with DM burnout or uncertainty?
My players apparently think I'm godly, but I feel like everything could fall apart with one good push.
I've been DMing an online play by post game for over a year now, and, while I want to end it rightly, I also want it to end. I don't think I can stand more than a maximum of four more levels when every level takes three months.
What do you guys do to best suck it up and deal?
>>
>>48963519
Current user count as of 9:40 PM PST: 201k

That's roughly the population of Little Rock, Arkansas. During peak hours it probably climbs a couple more hundred thousand people.

Id say that the site is roughly equivalent to a large sized american city that isn't one of the major metropolises. Probably a tourist hub like Tampa or New Orleans.

Supposedly, back during 2011 4chan was getting something like 14 million unique visitors per month. Which would make 4chan a former tourist city that's limping on as a shadow of its former glory.

It is surprisingly hard to find current user count data for 4chan.
>>
>>48963792
Frenzied dance maybe? I was gonna suggest borrowing from actual dance terms but a quick google reveals they're not great. Maybe borrow from musical terminology, or names of ballet/dance pieces (even in-universe ones for your setting)?
>>
>>48964098
Take a break, honestly. A bit of a breather, even just a week or two, can make a world of difference and let you recharge your creative juices.
>>
>>48963792
Go full weeb with it and just give them cool sounding descriptive names.
>>
>>48962635
How did cavalry use lances/spears? Wouldn't the weapon impale an opponent, get stuck in his body, and be dragged from the rider's grip as he galloped past?
>>
Is it okay to play a Malkavian even if you aren't confident enough to roleplay a literal psycopath if you just give them sensory derangement and put more effort into making them decent Good aside from it?
I- im asking for a friend.
>>
>>48964307
Lances were disgarded.

A cavalry charge works only once anyway.
>>
>>48964214
How the hell did it go from ~14 million to ~200k? From the sounds of it, this city-state had to had enough room for everyone present housing all tourists coming in with an attraction on every block ie each board. Now, they have too much city to even deal with. Some lackluster parts could be going dilapidated since they're not enough people coming in. Maybe housing homeless or shady businesses.

For the lack of lore, what sounds better for the drop of tourism? Federal law cracking down on being anonymous? Abduction of people who are not themselves? I'm sure I'm missing something
>>
>>48964331
14 million visitors in a month, not at the same time
>>
>>48964307
Different answers. Spears are designed so that you can pull them back out. You wouldn't couch a spear like you would a lance and just ram it into somebody with the horse. You would thrust and retract as you rode. As for lances, they were not really intended to be used for anything more than the charge. Lancers would then cycle back to get new lances. Their purpose was to break the line, not to engage in melee. If they were bogged down then they would draw a secondary weapon.
>>
>>48964331
2011 was around or a while after the height of the "WE ARE ANONYMOUS, WE ARE LEGION, WE ARE HACKERS ON STEROIDS, WE ARE MAKING ACTUAL POLITICAL CHANGE NO ONE ELSE DARES TO" period kicked off by Project Chanology. 4chan was still notorious in a good way back then. The absolute ascendancy of social media killed that pretty good, /pol/ becoming the public perception of the site, and then tumblr and gamergate gave it a hell of a kick to the nuts. We're simply no longer as relevant or liked as we once were, and fewer people are coming to see the self-proclaimed asshole of the internet these days.
>>
Is it revealing my /pol/werlevel too much to have the settings mass genocider (600 million kill count) compare himself to Mao instead of Hitler?
>>
>>48964394
>Not comparing yourself to Genghis Khan
Come on, buddy. Personally fucking so many women you permanently distorted the genepool of East Asia, and burning so much shit you caused low-level global cooling, Hitler and Maos' incompetent fiddling looks ridiculous next to that shit.
>>
>>48964337
I know, but still. I can still assume that that can be more than people visiting now right?

>>48964367
>tourists committed to the cause of that time came to 4chan as Legion
>their relevance dwindled over time
>became overshadowed by the growing and frowned upon /pol/

Also, I guess there would be witch hunts to get rid of all normies by this time. Or would that be a constant?
>>
I'm working on the backstory for a setting, and most standard races are formed out of a combination of elements that loosely define their personality and mindset. Elves are air and water, dwarves are earth and fire, humans are earth and air.

What would be a good example for a fourth race, with a pair of elements, preferably not earth related? Doesn't have to be a halfling or orc or anything, just something that might make a good PC race, and it could be a vague element like metal or lightning or something.
>>
>>48962635
How do i get a /tg/ bf. I play magic a little have a serious interest in videogames and d&d but dont know how to flirt with nerdy guys. I end up just friend zoning myself and its embarassing cause then i dont wanna ruin anything if im rejected. Any guys have any suggestions? I go into the local card shop from time to time but im too shy to start up a conversation. Help please. I know it isnt exactly tg related but i thought id ask here cause its better than asking /soc/ or somewhere else.
>>
>>48964434
Okay, key first question. Are you a girl, a boy? Second question: How ugly are you? I doubt any of of us here are real lookers, so just eyeball a number. Third question: What do you have to compensate for whatever your ugly level is?
>>
>>48964434
Boy or girl, you just gotta be willing to start a conversation man. Try to make friends - friends help you find more friends, and one of those might be date-able even if the initial friends are just friends.

Once you have found someone you might like to date, just try asking them out. They'll be impressed by your forwardness, and probably appreciate someone being interested in them.
>>
>>48964424
Jokes about summer have been around ever since there was an internet to be visited, and there's never really been witch hunts so much as the occasional "normalfag leave" whenever a relevant post appears.

Really, it'd mostly be people complaining about them from time to time and occasionally getting annoyed when people say stupid things, but nothing really organized.
>>
>>48964434

>>48964469
This. Most nerds are some level of oblivious, and besides that a lot have self esteem issues that would make it hard for them to believe anyone would be interested in them.

Also, if you are a guy, remember that your various flavors of gay in an area usually gather together, so even if you get rejected, it's not a bad idea to ask the person if they can think of anyone who would be interested in you.
>>
>>48962635
I have a city in my campaign that I'm working on that has a magic college inside it.
The college is not politically involved with the government.
I've written a large amount amount of lore and fluff for the college itself but I'm struggling with coming up with a unique and interesting government that could exist alongside this college.
>How do I make the city unique and not just the college?
>>
>>48964488
So natives living here are annoyed by summerfags and can tell them apart at a glance despite the transformation. But we shouldn't do anything about it since 4chan is still a tourist town. Driving away your only income is retarded.
>>
>>48964551
>So natives living here are annoyed by summerfags and can tell them apart at a glance despite the transformation.
It's the mannerisms and the constant gawking and how they just don't have the '4chan voice', and they trample all over local taboos and customs. Despite the change, they just don't fit in. This phenomenon is also known as 'newfaggotry'.
>>
>>48963166
It's going to go nuts from the background mental noise of 100 million jerks.
>>
All questions deserve their own thread.

I have yet to see such a beautiful, golden thread on /tg/ recently that to risk it being pushed aside by a GM looking for help help would be a crime against humanity.
>>
>>48963792
Maybe you could do something like calling the buff/maneuver names similar to spells like Otto's Irresistible Dance except call them something like, "Tahlia's Masquerade" and write the fluff something like "This dance allowed the legendary bard Tahlia to do (something involving the spell's effects) on the (insert bad guys) " Describe what the dance looks like, you could even use an RL performance for reference.
>>
>>48964530
Is there perhaps grounds for conflict, like the College is centrally placed and is taking up land the mercantile classes want to expand their businesses? Or the local ruler (duke/prince/mayor/burgermeister whatever their title) is jealous of the grandeur of the collage compared to his/her relatively modest palace and this leads to petty bureaucratic sniping from the government?
>>
>>48964575
Now what about political structure? Law and order? Would Moot2 is backed by his anonymous advisors? To what extent are crimes to be withheld? How often will people try to abuse their anonymity? Maybe moderators are the only ones lawfully able to see who everyone is
>>
>>48964667
As I have it written in the lore at the moment, the school's headmaster is a slacker who has no interest in politics.
She openly avoids any sort of meeting of the minds with the rulers locally.
The 2nd in command on the other hand is very politically savvy and maintains a constant presence among the ruling elite, attends the parties goes to meeting etc.
The government doesn't do anything about their presence due to the fact they can't remove them anyway and the extra defense is nice.
I do like your idea about them having conflict with one another, maybe the current ruler passed away recently and his son has stepped in and he isn't as wise as good ol' papa was.
>>
>>48964427
Djinni from air and fire
Wood and water for dryad/nymph types
Metal and fire for some kind of warforged mech thing?
What elements are we talking here?
>>
>>48964732
You've got a savy mage and a naive prince? sounds like you've got the perfect set up for a little evil vizier action, as the Machiavellian mage manipulates the prince and exploits his master's apathy to increase his power. Bonus points for having his actions appear more sinister than they are, he's just trying to whip everyone into shape to deal with <insert campaign BBEG here>.
>>
>>48964759
I like the Djinn idea especially.

Long story short, before the gods took power the most powerful 'deities' were elementals. The first god took their heaven and cast them down, where they formed the basis of the planet. So really just any elements that would be a reasonably large part of a setting and used as building blocks for the creation of mortals.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.