[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 22

File: 1469647570371.jpg (9KB, 345x146px) Image search: [Google]
1469647570371.jpg
9KB, 345x146px
In Gloriam Mechanicus Edition

Share the tale of all the awesome inventions (tech-heresy or not) and discoveries you made, as well as the enemies of the Omnissiah you have slain.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Mars Needs Women! Rampage of the Nerds! (V1.0.0), a new /tg/ made Only War supplement for playing as Skitarii, Cult Mechanicus, and joyriding an Ordinatus!
https://www.mediafire.com/?irijme05vbks7q4

Old thread: >>48928713
>>
>>48955577
Does anybody know if the Cinerus Maleficum has been expanded upon in Rogue Trader? I'm trying to homebrew a region to be recently "discovered," and I want it to be both "accurate" to existing material and completely unique. I haven't found anything in any of the supplements, but I may have missed it.
>>
File: 1411110399652.png (15KB, 104x153px) Image search: [Google]
1411110399652.png
15KB, 104x153px
>group has a Librarian, Apothecary and Tactical Marine

Should I be an Assault marine or Devastator?
>>
>>48955719
>Not engaging in glorious Close Combat for the Emperor
That''s fucking heresy anon you already know the answer
>>
>>48956111

True. Devastators seem potentially very OP even with the Righteous Fury errata. I guess if you pick them off early or force them into melee, but still..
>>
>>48955719
Assault marine, close combat is more fun than you think.

Devistator is just extra dice.
>>
I have a bunch of friends who know almost nothing about 40k and I want to run them through OW so I can have their mission briefing say stuff like "as you all know, orks are a weak and cowardly lot" and they believe it.
Is this bad?
>>
>>48956680
No, it is perfectly in-character. To prove it to them, show them a copy of the Uplifting Primer.
>>
Has fantasy flight stopped deving 40k RP? I haven't seen any news about new stuff since January.
>>
>>48957164
Gotta get that sweet star wars money
>>
>>48957164

Yeah, there's no more official 40kRPG books. The only books coming out now are the ones /tg/ and Shas makes.
>>
>>48956187
>>48956111

Won't they be skull fucked the moment a Horde shows up? You kind of NEED devastators.
>>
>>48958471
>Not frenzying and going full RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS with dual chainaxes to decimate hordes
>>
So do you guys watch people playing 40k on twitch/youtube?
>>
>>48957164
Geedubs had no chance against the Great Mouse.

I wish FFG would at least do reprints. I prefer physical copies to pdfs but fucking Rites of Battle for instance is $70 on Amazon
>>
>>48959259
Nah I play either Rouge Trader or Only War every weekend so my need is sated.
>>
so what all has everyone been running lately?
>>
>>48959259

I do, for battle reports. Dies anyone record or live stream their 40k rpg sessions?
>>
>>48959290

LOL yeah, it's running for that much at used bookstores. Very annoying.
>>
what's the best way to use tyranids in these?
>>
>>48961434
In either a Deathwatch game or in a chaos space marine Black Crusade party.
>>
>>48961491
but not against only war or DH2e dudes?
>>
>>48961856
If you play them straight, only a regiment with a vehicle and up stands a chance. Genestealers and lictors for DH2e are already near tpk material.
>>
>>48961944
I've had success using nids against RT players, but they had carapace, bolters, plasma, and several dozen armsmen providing human shields and cover fire. And even then they made a beeline for the heavy power armor with auto-stabilized heavy bolters ASAP.
>>
>>48961992
So basically fighting like space marines.
>>
>>48962023
Space marines with a protective bubble of armsmen, yes.
>>
>>48961992
Did you ever throw one of the bigger nids at them like a carniflex or a zonathrope?
>>
>>48962174
No, it was a rogue infestation of an Ecclesiarchy treasure ship that had washed up at a breaker yard. They got a deal that boiled down to "This ship has bad juju inside. You go in and clean it out, you get to keep a discreet amount of the shit you find inside, we give it back to the Ecclesiarchy, backrubs all around."
Then they went in and found the place was full of Gaunts, Rippers, Lictors, Warriors, and Warrior Primes, plus an absolutely awful and disgusting birthing-nest snuggled up to the plasma reactor, which got purged with extreme prejudice (Read: Fire, then emergency plasma venting). Turns out it had managed to survive a tentacle brush from a hive vessel but had gotten infested, this went unnoticed until they entered warp, the basic plot of Alien happened, ship goes adrift in the warp with the Gellar field still on, ends up re-translating in the cursed breaker yard system where this exact shit happens way too much for comfort.
>>
>>48961944
You wouldn't happen to have a set of homebrew genestealer hybrid rules lying around would you?
>>
>>48962552
Genestealers are in 2e already. Just ctrl+F 'brood' in Enemies Without.
>>
>>48962563
Yes, I know I'm looking if anyone has made Hybrids rules to use for a Genestealer Cult, I haven't had any trouble finding rules for the Xenos themselves
>>
File: goleph.jpg (120KB, 420x543px) Image search: [Google]
goleph.jpg
120KB, 420x543px
The rules for the Goleph are strange. It says Unnatural Agility under traits, but it doesn't have a multiplier or any number along the statline that indicates it has a different agility bonus. What gives?
>>
>>48962900
Assuming those are the ones from Radical's Handbook,
meaning the underlying system is DH 1,
meaning it's most likely Unnatural Agility (x2)
>>
What are your favorite ways to handle allies/minions/subordinates?
>>
>>48964332
If they're generic mooks, they get a generic "Armsman", "Guardsman", or "Stormtrooper" statblock and an appropriate redshirt name.

If they're someone actually important in some way, they may get a full statblock or just "Roll so and so tasks at TN X". Players may get to control them if they need a backup character for a scene or session.
>>
I'm working on altering or messing with the Minion creation system from BC so that it can make real people and things instead of these "literally can't function outside of their one focus" minions the system makes now. really it's just significantly upping the characteristic allotment and possibly upping the characteristic ceiling a bit for the stronger teirs, as well as specific allowances of "you can straight up use xyz npc profile if it fits x criteria, or with slight modification if it meets y criteria"
>>
Lorewise, is there anything which states abhumans can't express psychic potential?
Say I was making a Rating world for my Rogue Trader group to discover, is there any reason the Queen couldn't be a psyker who overthrew the ancestral rulers?
Trying to create a pro-Imperium faction, or Imperium sympathetic faction on the planet, and a group of angry Psyker-haters who want a revolution and are happy to accept offworlder help sounds pretty good to me.
>>
i suppose i should bump this so it doesn't fall off completely
>>
Has anyone home brewed up some of the new(ish) mechanicum stuff from the skitarii or the cult mechanicus like the Kastelans? Seeing as new books are kill and all.
>>
>>48966234
Check Mars need Women on the OP
>>
>>48966366
Can't belive I missed that, was looking in the homebrew folder like an idiot. My thanks exactly what I needed :)
>>
Played Dark Heresy for the first time today, ended up being a tech priest. I know nothing about the lore or system, what do I need to know?
>>
>>48966916
I've been in your shoes once. Hoo boy... Being a Techpriest is a lot of baggage.

At its very basics, the Cult Mechanicus pursues knowledge. However, they believe that mankind has already discovered everything worth discovering during the Golden Age, and thus reclaiming THEIR knowledge and inventions is far superior to inventing anything for yourself... Hence the existing patterns of any technology are sacred, hailing from the distant past, and tinkering, modifying and in general mucking with them is sacrilegious. There are ritualised methods to maintaining and using any piece of tech, and using them in any other manner is, at the very least disrespectful to the machine spirits, and, at worst, heretical.

Machine spirits, you may ask? Of course! All machines (except for, of course, the forbidden Abominable Intelligences and dreaded Xenos-tech) possess a Machine Spirit, which can be appeased with maintenance, prayer, incense, and a general respectful demeanour shown towards the item in question. Even the lowliest peashooter possesses a machine spirit, but the more ancient and advanced the technology in question, the more venerable and quirky the machine spirit within - in other words, ancient and advanced works of technology have a sort of mind of their own due to advanced micro-cogitation systems, but to the Mechanicus' dogma, so long as it ain't an Abominable Intelligence, anything from the quirks of a piece of workshop equipment to the autonomous decisions of an ancient Battleship is the work of Machine Spirits.

Since you start as a lowly techpriest, you know little about the scientific principles that make anything work. You are told that It Just Works(tm) and doing X and Y ritual will appease the machine spirits, ensuring optimal operation. You may also be abel to take apart and put back together things, without having any idea what their parts do. You'll however learn actual science as you climb the ranks.
>>
>>48966987
A lot to get into, damn. Haha. These are things I'll definitely be looking up, machine spirits especially... Such a strange system. But I love it? I'm excited to see how my lowly techpriest evolves.
>>
>>48966987
>>48967217
Screenshotted so sober me can use this for referral
>>
>>48966729

Just beware of the cover image.
>>
Guise. You need to help me, please. I'll be running several games in wh40k rpgs but I need shit ton of maps, handouts and tokens for roll 20. Also some advice is needed, if someone is bored or up to helpin me - much apprieciated.
>>
My rogue trade group has reached end game so its getting hard to scare em. Luckily they have several fate points. I want to burn said fate points. What some good things that could instant kill a PC but still be avoidable and in turn killable by end game characters. Im guessing greater demons and demon princes but what else?
>>
>>48969609
Why do you want to force them to? Throw them against impossible odds.
>>
>>48969660
I always feel like a dick if I just go "ya dead!" and they had no real chance, so a slim chance would be better.
>>
>>48970114
Make them go into necron tomb.
>>
Just started DMing DH 1st edition a couple of days ago.

I never believed the whole "you will never expect what your players will do" schtick until now.

Just one example of their shenanigans:
>Group of 3 guardsman, one assassin, one techpriest, and one psyker are to meet up with a planetary governor
>They're dropped at a star port opposite the governor's palace; it's a straight shot directly forward
>Instead of walking like normal people, they just fucking jog
>a group of heavily armed asshats jogging in the middle of the street
>whenever somebody stops them they just fucking flash inquisitorial badges and keep running
>It comes to a point where they're just running with them continually held out
>They get stopped by one trooper, finally
>He ends up with his face melted off even after being KO'd
>They leave him there in the street
>And just run into the distance...

Emperor bless
>>
>>48970546
Thats why subtelty should mean something.
>>
>>48970546
>>
What are some ship building tips for Rogue Trader? We are using the Mathhammer re-balancing (+12 damage to macrocannons, but no salvos)

What would you say is the best ship in each class?
>>
Any ways to make ship combat in Rogue Trader interesting for characters that don't have the typical skills for it?

I have a RT as a pilot, a Void Master as a gunner, and an Explorator for technical stuff. I also have an Arch Militant, Navigator, and Seneschal who twiddle their thumbs.

The Seneschal in particular feels useless and hates ship combat.
>>
>>48972023
Have them defend a boarding action maybe? Ship combatants focus on enemy fleet, the rest mop up intruders?
>>
>>48971999
My advice: Decide early what you want the ship to be doing and build towards that. Do you want to be a lumbering trade vessel carrying enough goods to crash a major economy? A short-range ambush predator raider? A "fuck this planet in particular" invasion cruiser? A super long range deep space explorerer ship? Decide your ship's role early and build towards that purpose. You simply do not have the points to build for every contingency, so specialize. Mathhammer makes armor very nice, so consider taking a zippy Raider and slapping on extra armor and excessive armor to make a moderate speed, heavily armed and armored combatant.
Also, if you have access to Archeotech components, modify the engines, every fucking time. 2 SP for 4 Space and 1 Speed is an amazing trade, never ever pass it up.
>>
>>48972023
Navis Primer gives you some shit to fuck in space with your nav, like emergency jumps and jamming the enemy.

Seneschal should be at the scanners detecting positronic radiation from the enemy ship and/or menacing the crew with a lash depends if he is more a bookworm or a quartermaster

Arch Militant could be the gunner if he is not hit and running, VM can pilot and the RT could be more a "leader", hamming orders and buffing the entire thing.
>>
>>48956111

More like hearsay
>>
>>48972048
That's a good idea. Would you run that as a side combat or as a series of narrative checks?

>>48972207
Also great ideas, especially for the Arch Militant. I don't think some of them have fully explored their options.
>>
>>48973543
Side combat. If you wanted to make the Seneschal feel like a badass, let the enemies board through perhaps a maintenance bay, where he or she could funnel them to make them easier targets for one person.
>>
So I have a plot. The problem is that I am unsure of what 40k system to house it within. My best guess would be Only War as the players would be Schola Progenum students that get conscripted into a real war effort as the world they are on erupts into messy civil war where neither side has sprouted horns nor painted their gear with blood and rust. The problem is that I am tempted to use Dark Heresy given that I am keen on mixing the players up in the intrigue of why this war is happening and how its actually the result of multiple levels of schemes all bouncing off of each other.

I'm going to spell out the plot here for feedback. There once was an Astartes world that was only ever ruled from afar. Eventually the regime that supposedly ran the planet for the Astartes realized that the Astartes weren't really looking closely at what they were doing at all. This regime tries to take advantage of the fact that there are no Imperial tithes by rapidly industrializing this world so that it becomes a center of industry and commerce in their region of space and make them filthy rich. Eventually they realize that perhaps stunting the flow of recruits to the Astartes would be a bad idea so they purchase some illicit technologies and hire the services of black market Genators to do some fiddling to make sure they produce boys worth sending to war. Lo and behold, a few of them discover a gene already present within a few individuals of an ethnicity that makes up the current regime that guarantees they will survive the implantation of gene-seed. People in power rejoice. They have a means of producing recruits without resulting to covert genetic engineering! They just need to institute a pogrom of eugenics and ethnic cleansing to make sure that the right people replace the wrong people. They do so and marginalize all other people on the planet and for a while they were very happy.
>>
>>48974098

Time goes on and the world is pretty much run like your standard Imperial world. Other Imperial institutions get invited where they do not belong and some accept. This is why there is a Schola Progenum academy on this world. The church simply cannot resist gaining influence where they do not belong. Unfortunately, terrorists successfully assassinate the planet's steward and every liberation front, ethnic state, traditionalist rebel, progressive rebel and religious sect with a bone to pick seize their opportunity to use violence and everything goes to shit. The players as students will be conscripted to fight for the current regime but I want to push the idea that perhaps the Astartes not punishing the current regime is not silent approval of the changes the planet has undergone and that perhaps rebellion would not be against the Imperium but against those who rule falsely.

Turns out, this is the result of two other factions plotting against each other. Those off-world heretek genators actually had some mortal disciples of the venerable Fabius Bile in their ranks. This trait that ensures that they will not reject the gene-seed is artificial and a trap as well. Turns out that there are literal incantations to the dark gods jumbled up in that gene that need to be activated by sorcery to reorder themselves into a spell that wracks the body with unholy but very controlled mutation. It deliberately targets the gene-seed and warps it into what I am tentatively calling 'ambulatory gene-seed'.
>>
>>48974124

It turns the organ into an independent organism capable of locomotion. Its also a parasite. Any Astartes that are carriers of this gene will find their flesh rebel against them at a signal and their own gene-seed tear off their head with new razored appendages to scuttle off and implant themselves into the spine of an unaugmented human. They influence the brains of these humans and warp them into post-human soldiers. This New Breed are inferior to Astartes in just about every way except logistics as they can turn a population of the most devout fanatics into disciples of the Dark Gods and a population of the softest weaklings into a fighting force that are individually stronger than the Astra Millitarum. These devotees of Bile dared not stand in the way of his long-standing ambition to equal and eventually surpass the Emperor's own efforts in creating the perfect post-human killers. They wanted to pursue an alternate direction so as not to earn their master's ire.

On the other side of the coin are the Eldar of a minor Craftworld. Their seers have seen the birth of this New Breed and they cannot allow it to come to pass. Humans are already malleable enough in the hands of the ruinous powers. Their only solace is that individually humans are pathetic, verminous and worthy of contempt. Should this come to pass it could tip the scales in an unfavorable direction. They assassinated the world's Astartes appointed steward. They manipulated every malcontent to rise up on this world at once. They do so to present this Chapter of Astartes with a scenario they cannot ignore. They have been especially hands off these past few centuries because they had almost all been away on Crusade. They have earned many accolades with peers in other Chapters and so they would bring many compatriots with them to pacify their world swiftly. The Eldar wish to use this fact to guide the agents of Bile to act thusly:
>>
>>48974136

The Astartes do not know about the nature of why the people of this world are so compatible with the gene-seed. The Astartes can be tricked into believing this a plot to destroy this world because of how many potential candidates to recruit. One in every hundred boys could become an Astartes here given the chance. If the war on this planet rages on indefinitely, the Astartes who rule this world will begin replacing their losses from the world's population. There are more than enough potential recruits to refill the ranks of the compatriot Chapters that come as well. The forces of Chaos could wipe out many thousands of loyalist marines and create a large pool of New Breed soldiers with a single operation.

The Eldar desire for this to happen because it forces the pawns of Chaos to commit many resources for deployment on this world as well. The Astartes will never surrender. The forces of Chaos will believe the longer the conflict continues the greater the reward will be. Both will over-commit to the planet while the Eldar set up a means to destroy all life from the surface of the planet while they are weak once the Eldar fleet arrives in earnest. This would prevent a dangerous tool from coming to the hands of the Great Enemy as well as slay many soldiers loyal to the Dark Gods and the God-Emperor.

So, what do you think? Too convoluted? I had hoped for the campaign to last entirely on this one world. There's more than enough content to reach the high tier from the bottom rung.
>>
Is there much in the way of tile sets and pre-made maps for digital gaming? I'm a map making gm and wondered if there was more than the Roll 20 Googleables for 40k?
>>
>>48955577
In our rogue trader session, my players just found a planet floating in space. On the surface, it seems like a forge world. In reality, its a forgotten datacenter created sometime before the emperor's crusades. There is knowledge that could upset the entire galaxy inside that thing. Knowledge that could restore the emperor, fold the galaxy into the warp or awaken all the remaining necron worlds at once. It all depends on what my players intend to do with it, considering one of them is "warp touched". he has secretly started worshiping khorne after a run-in with a chaos-marine detachment.
>>
>>48975042
>my players just found a planet floating in space
As opposed to what, a planet floating in Jello?
>>
Can someone please post a better version of Faith and Coin that isn't a scan? it's been 2 years
>>
>>48975042
Oh yeah, standard 40K plot hook #3
>>
>>48975352
I want a version of the Koronus Bestiary that isn't as corrupt as Abandon.
>>
If you were to run a Black Crusade game where every PC was all aligned to the same god, which would it be easiest to run such a game for and why?
>>
>>48976562
Nurgle.
Chances of backstabbing are lowest.
They all want the same thing.
Nurglite are generally bro-tier to other Nurglites.
>>
>>48975144
>As opposed to what, a planet floating in Jello?

I think he means a Rogue Planet, just hanging in the void completely alone.
>>
>>48975408
>>48975352

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123026/Rogue-Trader-Faith-and-Coin?filters=0_0_44242_0_0

Look you guys spend like $300 on minatures every day one of you buy the goddamn pdf and upload it
>>
DH2 question.

>Accurate
>When a character fires a single shot from a single Basic weapon with the Accurate quality while benefitting from the Aim action, the attack inflicts an additional 1d10 damage for every two degrees of success beyond the first (to a maximum of an extra 2d10).
So a pistol (Needle Pistol for example) with Accurate doesn't generate extra damage when Aiming, right?
>>
>>48977861

Correct. There is a talent in Only War that rectifies this, but the only bonus nonbasic weapons get is the additional +10 for aiming.
>>
>>48975144
I think he means not orbiting a sun
>>
File: 1398508274821.jpg (36KB, 805x669px) Image search: [Google]
1398508274821.jpg
36KB, 805x669px
>>48978090
>but the only bonus nonbasic weapons get is the additional +10 for aiming.
I feared as much. I guess I have no choice but to go with plasma, again...
>>
>>48978308
A sun made of jello?
>>
>>48978464
Needle weapons are pretty shit anyways.
>>
>>48976686
So what exactly attracts individuals to Nurgle? A sense of kinship and community? Is Nurgle the elderly father figure of the Chaos Gods?
>>
>>48974098
>>48974124
>>48974136
>>48974155
Can't recommend you a system, as I have only played DH1. For the worldbuilding, I like it. I'm light on the lore, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>48979037
Depends on the wielder. A Needle Rifle does at best what, 3d10+1d10 poison? And Weapon-Tech allows you to add your IB in damage (which is 8 for my character)
>>
>>48980512
Weapon-Tech increases both damage AND penetration by your IB.
>>
>>48981069
Which becomes hilarious when you have a techpriest with a plasma cannon using it.
>>
>>48981283
merely a plasma cannon? think about a multi-laser or the most ridiculous combination by raw, a xenarch death arc
>>
What year in the timeline is DH/RT/DW/etc usually assumed to be at?
>>
>>48981631
815.M41 is the starting date of DH1
>>
>>48980417
Most come to Nurgle in despair
>>
>>48981069
>>48981283
Shame it doesn't covet Las
>>
>>48981872
Oh, interesting, I didn't know they removed that since ascension
>>
>>48981661
Yeah, but what do willing worshipers think they'll get in return? I kind of get it for the other three gods: knowledge, pleasure, bloodshed; all of them satisfy a thirst. What primal thirst do acolytes of Nurgle hope to quench?
>>
>>48982066
Security and certainty.
Sure you look like a a pustulated sack of shit.
But you're stupid fucking hard to kill, and your God actually loves you.
>>
>>48982091
Nurgle might be the most peculiar of the bunch.
>>
>>48982066
Life.
>>
Help, i've made my acolytes too scared and now they refuse to advance without being under the sniper cover of half their party.
>>
>>48982838
how the hell did you do tha?
>>
>>48982838
Give a sitrep then we can probably help you.
>>
File: Gen Walken.jpg (67KB, 423x508px) Image search: [Google]
Gen Walken.jpg
67KB, 423x508px
>>48982838
Attach a Commissar to the party
>>
>>48982838
You dun goofed
Post the story
>>
>>48982910
>>48983225
>>48983739
>>48983888
We were clearing the mutant population out an old safehouse when due to a critical hit, one of the party members got his brains blown out and needed to burn a fate point to survive. The next game took place with us having to attack the mutants in their own hideout. The Mutants had dug themselves in, created multiple traps, and set up multiple lines of fire.

But the players apparently learned and outright refused to move through the facility without half the group being on overwatch to provide covering fire while the guardsmen move up with shotguns.

I sent out mutants with comparable stats to them, with flak vests and autoguns, and big bulky heavily mutated ones with greatswords and 8 AP to attack them, but they just sat at the end of the hallway sniping every mutant the moment it popped out to fire.

I did manage to ambush them by putting some loot in a corner and enemies hiding underneath a grate who popped up the moment the party had their back turned. But they somehow didn't take a single point of damage from them, and threw fire-bombs and grenades down the hatch.

TL:DR players are smart.
>>
what would be the best combination of world/background/role to make a scout/sniper type of character in dark heresy?

deathworld seems like the best homeworld for a start, but then?
>>
>>48984151
They did an XCOM. If you want to break that up too, bring in things that they didn't expect. Darkness and creepy-crawlies in the ceiling is a good one. Counter-snipers another. Add a time constraint, and let them be on the offensive, and stuff like that goes out the window.
>>
>>48984200
>Deathworld
>What ever strikes your fancy (Arbites, Astra Telepathica and Exorcised have the option to choose the Defence aptitude which would go well with Deathworld's Toughness.)
>Assassin
???
>>
>>48984367
I'm thinking of having the mutants start throwing pipe-bombs, and having big bulky mutated ones carrying big slags of plasteel as shields.
>>
>>48984417
Be creative instead of making it uninteresting by adding MutantX.Y MutantX.Z
>>
Do you look for maps on google or roll20 or make your own? Or just do them paint style on roll20?
>>
>>48955577
I've got a question about RT, I'm reading over the rules for Space Dogfighting and it says the roll is a +0 Command+Craft Rating test. However it says that you can command multiple wings of different attack craft either aboard the carrier or leading it personally.

You only get one roll with bonuses for having more allies (+5 for every extra fighter squadron and +5 for every 2 assault boat/bomber squadrons).

So my question is, since it isn't addressed in the book, is it highest, lowest, or an average craft rating for a combined wing when it comes to the Craft Rating for the test?
>>
I'm running the house of dust and ash, and right now I'm trying to expand the number of npcs who'll be attending the funeral and items that'll be up for grabs on the auctions

would anyone like to help me with ideas on people who would be attending a rogue traders wake and the items he'd leave behind in an estate sale?
>>
Between squares and hex, which map style works best for infantry and vehicle sized combat?
>>
File: 1471832827468.jpg (210KB, 900x677px) Image search: [Google]
1471832827468.jpg
210KB, 900x677px
Next game, I'm sure I gonna get my pants stolen.
Help me, guys, I'm genuinely concerned for the first time in a game in a long time.
>>
>>48988843
Full auto all the time.
>>
Black Crusade GM here. I don't understand the Corruption Track. Players roll a "gift" after reaching 10, 20 cp etc? Or how that works?
>>
>>48989031
At what corruption they roll depends on if they're human or space marine.

If the character is Dedicated to one of the 4 gods, they can roll Infamy and try to instead get a reward from that god which is further determined by a d100 roll. If they're Unaligned, they can't get any reward of a god and also have to roll twice on the Gift of the Gods table.

In either case, if any rolls on GotG is generated, the character can modify the roll(s) up or down by their Infamy bonus.
>>
>>48989162
So basically a player is plague meister and he starts at 19 CP. We will check alignment after he finishes giving out experience, because he starts out as nurgle alignment character. Then does it count as being dedicated? And by bonus you mean the first digit - lets say 31, and he rolled 61 - so he can choose 64 or 58?
>>
>>48989216
Yes. Yes. Yes. It is up to Infamy bonus so it can be anywhere from 58 to 64
>>
>>48989244
Okay :) Any tips for being a BC GM?
>>
>>48989266
In-fighting is expected. Betrayals inevitable. Glory for the dark gods. Make them fight necrons. If you feel daemons are too weak, use their DH 2e Enemies Beyond versions.
>>
>>48989289
So the plaguemeister is nurglite, we will have psyker - he is not sure if he will be undivided or tzeentch, and a apostate that thinks about tzeentch or slaanesh. And the 4th guy will come for 2nd session. Do you happen to have some interesting maps or ideas?
>>
>>48989334
A psyker actually has to work to not be dedicated to tzeench sooner or later with how advances and alignment works.
>>
>>48989376
Why?
>>
>>48974155
Use DH2e, fold in shit from the other lines as needed.
Your basic premise is human level base in a planetside campaign.
>>
>>48989399
Page 78, Marks of Chaos.
>>
>>48984200
Feral World (Crusader/Arbites/Guardsman/Exorcsed) Assassin.
Get good rolls, use stabby shit and bows to brutal effect.
>>
>>48989425
Well, I dont still see your point
>>
>>48988865
There is little full auto here, anon.
Mostly long guns and CC.
Fortunately, I think the people covering my ass are gonna get their pants stolen first, so I can just frag the whole lot of them.
>>
>>48989470
As you advance, take talents and shit, you slowly gain points that align you to one of the 4.
By being a psyker, you end up, by rote, taking the talents that make you lean towards Tzeentch.
>>
>>48989516
Yup. But why would he avoid it?
>>
>>48989516
>>48989376
Ohhhh I get what you mean now. Yeah. I knew that and said that to him.
>>
>>48989490
What long range do you expect in a space hulk?
>>
>>48989586
We are not on a space hulk, anon.
We are dealing with a cult in a city.
>>
>>48989631
Then why did your post have a terminator facing genestealers?
>>
>>48989646
Because I don't have any pictures of just genestealers, anon.
>>
>>48989723
Get to work on that then.
>>
Joining a dark heresy game that my friend invited me to for the first time today. Sparing experience with d&d in the past, but other then that new to tabletop RPGs. Took a wiki crash course in 40k lore. What should I be expecting?
>>
>>48989794
DH 1e or 2e?
>>
>>48989794
To learn what it means to depend on circumstances to pass most rolls and how to tweak a situation in your favor to the utmost.
To learn you are not a hero, and the setting exists to shit on you.
>>
Anyone has some interesting maps for roll20?
>>
>>48989870
Caverns, buildings, necron tombs, warzones.. Anything.
>>
>>48989459
Crusader is a role, not a background
>>
>>48989809
2nd
>>
>>48990868
Skulls, grenades, running, grenades, heretics, xenos, skulls, dying, and grenades.
>>
I'm making an Ultramarine of Ultramar, Assault marine specialty, to plug up the lack of social and melee in our group. But I'm wondering, should I take the Tyrannic war veteran advance? The GM hinted there might be genestealers or tyranids at some point. I'm just not sure if it's worth the initial investment?

I'd like to go Honor Guard if we make it that far.
>>
>>48991143
I say go for it. It exists for some reason and it will make some crunch for you char.
>>
File: 1348390751786.gif (493KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
1348390751786.gif
493KB, 500x276px
>>48962641
Seconding this, my players are currently investigating rumours of mutation in a knight world noble house and eventually they're going to have to come across hybrids. Right now I'll probably run them as generic mooks but with some mutations (additional arms), but it's the psychic stuff I'm mostly concerned about.
>>
Anyone has some ship maps/tile maps for space combat/boarding actions?
>>
File: 1351419399046.jpg (99KB, 524x492px) Image search: [Google]
1351419399046.jpg
99KB, 524x492px
>>48991646
>Genestealer cult controlled Knight

ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>48991646
DW has psychic powers for genestealers.
>>
File: Rock videos to be won.jpg (205KB, 747x998px) Image search: [Google]
Rock videos to be won.jpg
205KB, 747x998px
>>48991860
I'll give it a look, thanks!
>>
File: Haarlock's Wager.jpg (689KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Haarlock's Wager.jpg
689KB, 1280x720px
Just wanted to share this, since it made me laugh.

Our Dark Heresy party was recently sent to a hive world named "Joseph Haarlock Sucks At Cards". The locals just call it Haarlock's Wager.

It was a perfectly normal world, y'know aside from being initially settled, bet in a poker game, and renamed by a bunch of hyper rich drunken man-children.
>>
Is it just me or is the Legacy of Blood for legacy weapon in Tomb of Blood underwhelming compared to all the other legacies?
>>
>
>>
How dangerous are psykers when used as enemies?
>>
>>48995671
Varies between, "Oh, he just exploded, let's break for tea" to "OH SWEET EMPEROR EVERYTHING IS EXPLODING"
>>
Idea for a new Rogue Trader campaign "Trade Nexus/Port of Call" (i.e. Port Wander, Footfall, etc.) discovered (by them, at least) in an out-of-the-way part of the expanse for my players to interact with:

Last Respite is partially populated, massive Space Hulk that is permanently set adrift in an asteroid belt in a barren star system, right in the middle of two locally vital Warp-Routes, bringing it constant, is slow, traffic.

The Hulk (as it's referred to by locals) is about 40% "settled" by various human organizations, almost all of them outside of the law in some form or another. Pirates, Cold Traders, unsanctioned Psykers, and even Xenos can all be found openly operating here with relative impunity. Societies are vertically organized cartels, syndicates, pseudo-nobility, and other tyrannical organizations that rule with brutal, iron fists within their petty domains. These organizations are in a near-constant state of war with one another over docking stations, water purification plants, hyrdoponics bays, and other valuable regions, and territory is largely split up based upon the ships that make up the hulk itself.

While war and violence are ever-present, one of the few things that all organizations are eager to unify against are the Genestealer uprisings that happen every few years or so. Fear of Genestealer implantation and of Genestealer hybrids is so rampant that many organizations just jettison any suspected hybrids out of airlocks into the void of space rather than risk infection. Even xenos will often lend a hand in destroying Genestealers when the opportunity presents itself - after all, if the Hulk falls, they lose a valuable market for their services.

The only rule of the Hulk is the rule of power. Badges of authority and Imperial rosettes are meaningless to the denizens of the Hulk if there isn't a big gun in competent hands to back it up.

Does this sound interesting?
>>
>>48995741
How known is it to the Imperium/Inquisition/Space Marine chapters?
>>
>>48995939
Oh, and the mechanicus.
>>
>>48995696
Normal exploding or exploding into daemons?
>>
>>48996839
Both.
>>
Why is Finesse so hard to get as an aptitude in DH2e?
It's pretty much necessary for a melee type, but locked into... Assassin, as far as I see.
>>
>>48997658
The Heretek background gets it for whatever reason as does the Rogue Trader Fleet background.
>>
I found Rogue Trader books on a PDF Share trove that was here a while ago, hopefully ones without encoding errors. Will these still be up to date, or do they not have the latest errata? I have no idea how to tell.
>>
>>48998143
If you need the errata, just check the FFG site.
>>
>>48964332
The Comrade mechanic in Only War works great.
>>
>>48981631
DH1e is 815.M41

RT is 816.M41

Deathwatch is right around that same time, as well as Only War.

DH2e is Lol I Dunno, they changed the core setting and I lost interest in the lore for it. The mechanics are baller, but I hate the lore for DH2e.
>>
>>48982133
To me at least, nurgle is simplest of all the Dark gods. What Nurgle offers, is certainty. You worship Khorne, you might have the ability to live forever, if youre good enough. You worship Tzeetch, you might live forever, if you dont become all gribbly, fall victim to Just As Planned, etc etc. You worship Slannesh, you will have a short life, but there will never be a dull moment. You worship the Emperor, you will be fed into the meatgrinder of the Imperium. Someone who worships Nurgle is looking for certainty, where Mrs Mittens down the lane may sacrifice the entire planet to the dark gods tomorrow, for endurance, where humans are going into battle with cardboard vests, for companionship, because you will join a family of every living being in the galaxy. Whoever you are, Nurgle will welcome you, promise you eternal life, make Nobby Nobbs take bolter shots like a Carnifex and give you a family of uncountable numbers

Anyone can be a Nurglite, a farmer, a hooker trying to stay safe from disease, a doctor who wants to cure people even an ex Khornate Beserker who realized he'd rather survive his next fight than having everyone die and hoping hes the last one standing

TL;DR Nurgle is safety scissors and glue,where everyone else is getting switchblades, crucifixes, Cocaine and a roulette table in preschool
>>
>>48998525
Nah. You are only looking at it from one viewpoint. Nurglites can become ooze, chaos spawns, rampant mutants or plague zombies.
>>
>>48984417
What about throwing them a curveball, and have a seperate imperial team infiltrating the same facility. For example multiple Stormtrooper Strike teams. Make it so that if they go in sniping everything the moment it moves, theyre gonna hit hot-shot lasgun supression fire, smoke grenades, basically everything tht counters their tctic, because these guys have been trained for it from birth, so theyre better stated, etc. That way they have to try getting in close to talk, and then you start springing mutants on them again. Multiple enemy types are always a lot more challenging to deal with because you cant just find one tactic and stick to it
>>
>>48988832
I always prefer hex, because it maxes it easier when every side is equidistant, but that just might be our group
>>
>>48995741
It basically sounds like an even worse (as in, more lawless) version of Footfall.
>>
>>48998550
They become ooze that is still yourself, just in a different form, and immortal

I thought nurgle chaos spawn were rare, because nurgle loves his children, whereas others do it for the slaughter, plots and lulz

Rampant mutation is more Tzeetches bag

Plague zombies are those who dont align with him. People turn to nurgle to resist the disease, its the idiots that dont convert, that get killed and reanimated
>>
>>48998649
How do you handle grenades and other Blast weapons with hex? Do you pick a hex or an intersection?
>>
>>48998740
The argument about ooze is stupid. Also, many die before they even have a chance of pleding themselves in life when they are devoured by some plague.
>>
>>48998769
I do it by rolling. You do amazing, pick a spot any spot, you do horrible, hex. medium can be anywhere from roll a d12 for sides/vertexes to choose which intersection between 2. Its an extra complexity step but it works for us. Big stuff is "roll which hex numbered x-y" Thats lead to fun times, especially when you hide which number is which.

Quick proviso, if a lot of your battles are set to be inside imperial buildings in small arenas, go square. works a ton better for buildings, cause hex doest work as nicely in squares and rectangles
>>
>>48998921
Can you make a picture for that because it is late and I'm not quite following.
>>
>>48998932
Sorry hard to explain
Chuck the guardsman wants to throw a grenade with BS 35. He picks a hex. Its 5 hexes away, inside the range so no penalties. He rolls, gets a 15 and thats 20 under sucess, so he pick where on the hex to put it. If he rolls badly he rolls a d12, and the number he gets equals the border part. 1 is upper right corner, 2 is upper right panel, etc
>>
How does Unnatural Agility, Toughness etc works?
>>
>>48999076
Which line?
>>
>>48964714
no? _non_ humans can express psychic potential, and psyker powers and mutation are commonly linked. A rebellious ratling with psyker powers though would be definitely anathema to the Imperium -- it's a witch, a heretic, AND a mutant, why isn't it dead yet?
>>
>>48999093
Black Crusade
>>
>>48999100
Seems pretty well-explained in the core book. What are you having issues with?
>>
>>48999110
Can't find it then. Can you tell me the page?
>>
>>48999122
Chapter 4: Talents and Traits, trait descriptions page 144.
>>
>>48999144
thanks!
>>
>>48999144
Thanks!
>>
Some of you may be familiar that the Hadex Anomaly in the Jericho Reaches its said to spew out time (somehow) ?

Any tips for consequences after a semi-botched attempt to turn back all of time?
>>
>>48999547
Take something from an episode of Dr. Who relating to time.
>>
Yo guys, trying to think up bonuses for good craftsmanship bionics, like whats better about a good craftsmanship bionic heart vs a common craftsmanship , and likewise of things like cranial armor, calculus logi upgrades and stuff like that
>>
Anyone running a game and is in need of a player? My current campaign dissolved before even properly starting (DM's RL problems), and I need to fill the gap it left.
>>
>>49000728
Pretty sure good craftsmanship bionic heart already has bonuses. Good crafsmanship cranial armour is probably fully concealed and indistinguishable from a natural skull.
>>
>>48998525
> Cocaine and a roulette
That's exactly what I signed in for with Slaanesh.
>>
File: 4502_genestealer.tyranids.jpg (308KB, 656x450px) Image search: [Google]
4502_genestealer.tyranids.jpg
308KB, 656x450px
>>48989723
Here anon take mine.
>>
>>49001897
Word, thanks, anon.
>>
>>48997658
>It's pretty much necessary for a melee type
Not really. It helps, but then again I would say it help everybody since it allows cheaper BS and Agility upgrades/talents
>>
>>49002064
Weapon skill aptitudes is weapon skill and finesse, anon, and melee requires a far bigger payout in xp to hang strong, especially if you are the only fisticuffs man.
>>
>>49000765

I know that feeling, anon.

I'm trying to wrastle up a group for some 40k rpg funtimes on the gamefinder thread. Haven't heard from a GM yet but if it comes down to it I can try and put something together myself.

My Skype is Andrew Booker. I've got Ornstein as an avatar pic
>>
>>48999547
>>48999564
Time reapers from doctor who works pretty well, made suitably grimdark
Maybe devotees or creatures of Malal?
>>
>>49001750
Roulette is actualy the Big T's thing, given that its a crapshoot if you become an all powerful wizard, or vanish in a puff of evil giggles.
>>
File: 1.jpg (90KB, 602x427px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
90KB, 602x427px
>>49002147
>Weapon skill aptitudes is weapon skill and finesse
Nigga...
>>
>>48955577
I've got an RT question about replenishing exotic ship ammo.

The Nova Cannon as per Battlefleet Koronus page 16 states that the rounds are replenished by an Acquisition Test with all pertinent modifiers with the shells being Extremely Rare with an additional -10 if it happens outside of a Forge World.

My question is it says that unlike normal Nova Cannons the Archeotech Jovian-Pattern Nova Cannon (BK p42) fires vortex warheads. Now if we go to page 9 where it discusses torpedoes it says that the vortex explosive is Unique. Because of this should the Availability of the Jovian-Pattern Nova Cannon's ammunition remain at Extremely Rare or should it be bumped up to Near Unique or even Unique? The other option that came to mind is that it could simply be a -10 on Forge Worlds and either a -20 or not available at all off of them.
>>
>>49002147
>>48997658
Imho it is because only assassins are supposed to go melee, even guardsmen are just secondarily trained in it cause their whole life revolves around firing at things or die trying to.
So assassins, and people who usually fight into cramped places, hence why the Rogue Trader Fleet bg gets it I guess. What about nuns with guns tho, do they get it?
>>
>>49002276
Oops, my bad.
Could have swore it was finesse, tho.
What is it, then, that makes finesse important to melee? Was it the talents?
>>49002282
Bump it to near unique.
>>
So guys I've been considering makeing a world bearers chaos space marine in black crusade. And then running the rite of possesion on him. What do you think I should build to properly embrace possesion? I was thinking of taking traits which will stack with my possesion. Anyone here ever played a possesed character? I can see why not since it does remove your end game in favor of having a deamon use you as a warp portal in the end.
>>
>>49002229
I saw your post.

We're not timezone compatible, unfortunately. Plus there's not a single Andrew Booker with Ornstein as avatar in my search results. Check your contact data, maybe?
>>
>>49002335
>that makes finesse important to melee? Was it the talents?
Agility is kinda important since it determines your moving/charging speed and talents revolving around precision and two weapon wielding require it
>>
>>49002343
Go full Gal Vorbak, give no fucks.
>>
File: Beast_of_Scaidava.jpg (327KB, 688x993px) Image search: [Google]
Beast_of_Scaidava.jpg
327KB, 688x993px
>>49002386
So I'd have to go on a world bearers pilgrimage to search for the answer to humanity's glorious symbiosis with the warp? Just finding that would make me the greatest wotld bearer ever! The everyone might stop insulting me for not hearing as many voices in my head.
>>
Dark Heresy first edition, does fighting with both a pistol and a melee weapon at the same time work well enough? I was going for dual pistols, but since another ranged specialist joined I redirected myself toward melee, and I still have good ballistic skill and two weapon wielder for ballistic.
>>
Does anyone have tips on adapting Deathwatch weapons and enemies for Dark Heresy use? Everything is just ~bigger~ in DW, even the same weapons. Bolters in DH do 1d10+8 and in DW do 2d10+8. Is there a reliable formula for conversion, both for other weapons and creature stats?
>>
>>49002493
Yes, it does, but it takes forever to get to, longer to git gud, and only with a handful of careers can even take it.
>>49002507
First off, do NOT.
Gear should not be backported at all unless you are explicitly using SMs in DH (prepare to be mocked viciously), and you have literally 5 other lines to pull foes from.
Only Tau suits and some necrons aren't in other books, and that means you need to just sit down and do some basic math.
>>
>>49002572
I'm into Assassin, with an abnormal agility value and a dip into Infiltraitor for rp reasons.
>>
>>49002354

Ah, shit. I'll go and try to rectify that. Thanks, and hopefully you find a group as well! What timezone are you in, anyhow?
>>
>>49002616
Europe.
>>
>>49002592
If you plan on killing shit dead, the versatility, at least, is sorely appreciated.
Just don't go full ham on it, y'know?
>>
>>49002572
Yes, I'm actually trying to port Tau. I'm sure I can tweak their stats to work, it's just that considering I'm a new DM, I don't have a concrete idea of combat balance internalized yet, so I wouldn't know what rebalance would both not be blatantly OP or not do the Tau justice.
>>
>>49002718
I... don't, cause being not english I am not sure what does it have to do with food.
>>
File: Thumbs Up.jpg (34KB, 564x455px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs Up.jpg
34KB, 564x455px
>>49002659

Oh, well. Have a nice day european anon. Hope you find some peeps on the other end of the Atlantic.
>>
>>49002762
I think he means "don't be obnoxious/go knife-nut edgelord" about it if you're going sneaky stabby assassin.
>>
>>49002762
Going "ham" is a slang term for going overboard with a concept.
I'm saying that while it is a nice thing, it is not a NECESSARY thing, compared to rounding out your skill set and keeping yourself alive.
It's just a little easier to kill things, but you are probably good at that already, aren't you?
>>
>>49002740
As much as I don't want to do this, I'd recommend Shas'o's guide on tabletop gear to rpg stats.
It gives somewhat of a basis of things to run with. Further, look at Only War, it has DH appropriate numbers.
>>
>>49002795
>assassin
>no edge
But I need edges for my job.
>>49002801
When has anything been "enough" in DH anyway? Certainly no dakka
>>
>>49002862
Because DH is more than killing things, and if all you do is kill things, then you are missing out on 60% of the game.
Even then, going dual wield melee will not make you exceedingly better until you get the talents to support it.
>>
>>49002862
>But I need edges for my job.

Hey, that's what that anon was saying, not me. I say go full Coldsteel.
>>
>>49002911
Since you mention it... in a party of Assassin, Guard, Priest, Arbites and Scum we have fightan and social covered, as well as stealth, but we compeltely miss on lore skills. Any idea on how to fix the situation, maybe through alternate advances?
>>
>>49002801
And "overboard" can be substituted by over-enthusiastic

Don't you just love how reliant we are on idioms?

>>49002822
Could you shoot a link? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>49002950
Priest and Arbites can reasonably ask for elite advances for applicable lores.
>>49002986
It's in the trove in OP.
>>
>>49003003
They are few tho, and the problem is that the priest isn't reliably in for every session.
>>
>>49003078
Ask your Arbite to be Sherlock Holmes instead of Judge Dredd, I guess. How far are you into the campaign or are you just starting out. I remeber playing the 40k equivalent of a crime scene tech for a game, it wasnt that bad actually. Plus my team loved me because i could robert downey junior holmes my way through fights
>>
>>48955577
So I was reading through the RT Core book and I noticed two problems with the Ship Critical Hit Table on page 222.

On the section about when a ship becomes a Space Hulk the rolls are 1-2, 3-7, and 9-10 so the 8 option is missing. So should it be 3-8 or 8-10?

Also it says it only reduces Crew Population to 1d10 but, unlike Hull Breach above it, there is no Morale Damage. Should it be reduce Crew AND Morale to 1d10?
>>
>>49003307
We just reached rank 4th and the arbites is still to show up (new player but I know him well). It has a lot of investigation/social skills and IS actually some kind of Pinkerton investigator rather than a sceriff, but still no access to a lot of lore skills.
>>
>>49002986

The Fringe is Yours in the megafolder
>>
File: formatting.jpg (150KB, 1569x499px) Image search: [Google]
formatting.jpg
150KB, 1569x499px
>>49003003
>>49005684
Thanks a ton! This will help alot.

On an unrelated note, I've made a modified version of the library table excel sheet so that it's easier to read.

https://mega.nz/#!ExASwDzb!MlducYv5g2g3GbeK9keuHrG6rnBlXuh2SU44oFk-d_I

Should look like pic attached. Did it for a couple of sheets.
>>
Does the Baneblade cannon have to reload after each shot, with 12 shots in the tank or can the baneblade cannon really fire in succession 12 times before reloading?
>>
>>49007694
It can fire 12 times before reloading. Why would you think the weapon stats function any different from other weapons?
>>
>>49007897
Because tank cannons don't usually have magazines.
>>
>>48995939
>>48995949

It's known, as it's pretty much the only "safe" port of call that guards the exit to the Cinerus Maleficum, but it was only discovered in the last century. As such, Imperial control is tenuous at best and non-existent at worst, with pretty much everybody having to pay off a cartel boss to do anything on the Hulk.

The AdMech know of it, but have only sent an actual "embassy" of sorts in the last decade. They're super-keen to hire people to go on exploration missions to the center of the Hulk to find whatever they can drudge up, and are interested in the various archeotech/xenos tech that flow through the Hulk markets.

The Imperium has yet to actually establish control of the Hulk, simply because at this particular moment it's just not worth the effort to purge it thoroughly. For now, it's better to just pull in to port and pay for things like everybody else, if only so there is SOMETHING they can fall back to and trade with in the region.

If the interior worlds prove to be valuable, however, it's almost certain that true Imperial Control will be established, and almost certainly through extremely violent means. Until then, it's pretty lawless, but an enterprising Rogue Trader could possibly establish control of Last Respite through blackmail, financial manipulation, and outright conquest, and he may even have many backers in the Imperium who'd be willing to fund such an enterprise...

>>48998661
Kind of. This is the very basic overview, though. The way society works here is different in much more nitpicky ways - the way xenos are tolerated, which xenos races even frequent it (there are two new homebrew races who will occasionally stop in for their own inscrupulous reasons) and the fact that it guards a previously unexplored region of space means that there is a LOT more archeotech and other artifacts that flow through its markets, and that's not even taking into account the fact that half of the Hulk is still a straight-up Space Hulk.
>>
>>49007919
Nearly all the ones in OW do.
>>
>>49002343
IMO, the best characters are characters that don't play to "win," but to achieve their own personal end goal and play as if they were a "real person." My Rogue Trader constantly undermines his own finances through brash actions, for example, but these actions are almost always to ridicule and mock his arch-nemesis in the most petty of ways (such as literally carving his name into a moon to the point where it's legible from the planets surface). It's not helpful for the "win condition," but it makes for such a better story and it's just way more fun.
>>
>>49007919
yes they do, unlike obsolete american tanks, near all the civilized world has tanks with autoloaders for half a century now.
>>
File: Ancient, Unknowable Disapproval.jpg (850KB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient, Unknowable Disapproval.jpg
850KB, 1300x1300px
>>49008207
>unlike obsolete american tanks

If you're referring to the M1 Abrams it's because an autoloader doesn't fit in the turret without a complete re-design of the entire vehicle, and a competent tank crew can load and operate the turret faster than an autoloader.

Also,

>Abrams family
>Obsolete
>>
>>49008424
>Abrams family
>Obsolete
Well, it kind of is. Not very important if you're only fighting sand niggers with equipment designed in the 60's or earlier, but...
>>
how do you handle servitors being controlled by pcs in combat?

One of my payers has managed to acquire five of them and wants to use them, and i'm not sure how they should work within the action economy

each gets their own initiative? each draws from the players action pool?
>>
>>49008774
Which game line?
>>
>>49008803
dh 2e
>>
>>49008954
Make them draw actions from the PC.
>>
>>49008698
This. The newest Russian tanks are lightyears ahead of the Abrams.

That said, a third-generation Abrams with comparable capabilities to said Russian tanks is in the works.
>>
>>49009345
Yeah, but given that it'll be 40 year-old design by the time the new version is out, it seems a bit weird to keep updating it instead of making an entirely new design.
>>
>>49008698
>Not very important if you're only fighting sand niggers with equipment designed in the 60's or earlier, but...

It may not fit very well in a counterinsurgency role (literally no tank will, because they are tanks), but it has proven to be nigh-unstoppable in conventional warfare for which it is designed. The original M1 so thoroughly stomped the Iraqis in Desert Storm that it wasn't even funny (although a huge part of that was the Americans employing the first major use of GPS tech to enter the battlefield from a previously impossible angle of attack, throwing an absolute monkey wrench in the Iraqi war plan), and they have only become more and more advanced since then. The only tank truly comparable is the Challenger II and Leopard, but they have their own drawbacks (mostly in logistics) that still make them at best the equal of the Abrams equivalent.

>but given that it'll be 40 year-old design by the time the new version is out, it seems a bit weird to keep updating it instead of making an entirely new design.

Money and inherent strength of design. It's simply cheaper and overall more effective to upgrade and retrofit the existing design rather than completely design a new battle tank for a battlefield we don't know we're even going to fight (and therefore do not know how to design to combat). While the Abrams is beginning to show its age, it's still an extremely effective weapons platform that has a lot more mileage in it before it becomes more effective to switch to a new design (and therefore completely rework the American logistics train to compensate).

Age /= Ineffectiveness. We still use knives despite the fact that they're literally thousands of years old.
>>
Should a party know that they are fighting a horde and not just a large collective of NPCs?
>>
>>49009478
>looks at the F-35

Yeah I dunno if I'd trust our MIC to do that.
>>
>>49011591
If they are inexperienced roleplayers, or they've never faced a horde before, then yes.

If they've been around the block a few times, and they've fought hordes before, then it's perfectly fine to hit them with one with no special warning (that they wouldn't have in-universe, at least).
>>
>>49011693
Like >>49009809 said, new tech doesn't necessarily equal better. Some things are good because they're just inherently great designs.

Even still, the F-35 doesn't strike me as a BAD frame, so long as it's used for its intended purpose as a multi-purpose frame and they don't attempt to replace other aircraft like the F22 with it.
>>
>>49009809
>The only tank truly comparable is the Challenger II and Leopard

And, as mentioned before, that new Russian tank.
>>
>>49011901
You ever see the concept art for that thing? Some real video game shit, like missile defense machineguns and a cannon of something like 200mm
>>
>>49012002
Heard about the former, but iirc the T-14 just has a *really* advanced 125mm.
>>
>>49012028
>>49011901
>>49012002

The Russians CLAIM it can do all that crazy shit. It has yet to actually be tested in the field, especially against other relatively not-shit tanks or even modern armor.

While it does look pretty high-tech and has some good stuff, and will certainly give the Abrams a run for their money, I'm 99% sure that Russia is also cooking the stats to look bigger and meaner than they actually are.

Time will tell with the T-14.
>>
How do you handle a Rogue Trader who essentially comes across as the Major from Hellsing with a falir of Space Dandy who has a Doctor Algernop Krieger type explorator by his side whom he encourages to make great and terrible weapons?
>>
>>49012100
Give them something to crusade against.
>>
>>49012113
This.

The God-Emperor wills it. Orks will do just fine.
>>
>>49012113
>>49012545
That seems reasonable, though I'm not sure if Khorne should get involved or not. Is that too hamfisted?
>>
>>48995671
I had a pysker-player in DH2e that used hallucinate quite a lot. he mucked things up, but in a good way.
>>
>>49012570
More to fight the better.
>>
Are there any downsides to getting the Machine trait?
>>
>>49014131

Haywire fucks you
>>
>>49014170
Granted, Haywire can fuck you regardless if you use a lot of tech-heavy gear.
>>
>>49012095
It would be such a such a shame for it to meet an A-10 Warthog. Oh wait........
>>
are there stats for imperial knights for DH2?
i wanted my inquisitors to do battle with one, fighting like shadow of the colossus
>>
Is dual-wielding hand flamers a good idea or a stupid idea? Assuming you have the talents to drop the dual-wielding penalties to 0.
>>
>>49016961
What dual-wielding penalties? It's a Flamer.
>>
>>49016987
MFW my characters looted an Autocannon from a Chimera when I had some guardsmen assist my guys, and now they mulch Space Marines like they're everyday mooks making the guy who put all his effort into making the flashiest flamer he could get useless
>>
>>49016987
The ones where your GM says "thats fucking stupid, roll to see what gets amputated"
>>
We've talked about systems for new players.

What about systems for new GMs?
>>
>>49017073
Advanced GURPS
>>
>>49017070
It's a hand flamer. Are you telling me that your hand-eye coordination is so bad you can't point two pistol-sized objects in the general direction of your target?
>>
Who wants to hear the tale of Armatus, the not yet Ordo Reductor Tech-priest that salvaged an operation in the making for 4 sessions in 30 seconds?
>>
>>49017748
Not like anything else is going on.
>>
File: gevyimlax4s6zigqbwv0.jpg (251KB, 757x720px) Image search: [Google]
gevyimlax4s6zigqbwv0.jpg
251KB, 757x720px
>>49017748
He sounds like a big guy
>>
>>49017748
>>49017775

>We are playing Rogue Trader. The Party is level 2 at 3350-3500 experience.
>The current mission was to incite a fake revolution meant to be squashed immediately, in order to grant more power to the queen.
>Actually it wasn't, we were supposed to assassinate people who limited her power in order to get access to a steady supply of agricultural goods,
>but the rogue trader had decided to go big. So we covered it all in a nice story for the queen to sell.
>We had 3 main targets:

>High Commander Cyneburg, commander of the Maeve military
>Eadburga Eliesthed, first wife to the late king Albert XIV, father of the queen
>Magistrator of Intelligence Hild Welsvar, head of the secret police

>>49017887
You'll be surprised how he does it.
>>
>>49018001
>We had a solid plan for the high commander, having reprogrammed one of her close advisors,
>and equipped her with hollow-point bullets filled with the poison of a mythical plant that we recovered from a death world jungle.

>With Eadburga it was a matter of blackmailing one of her acquaintances into arranging a meeting,
>as well as getting one of the personal vehicles of said acquaintance.
>A devoted pilot and a passenger cabin filled to the brim with military grade explosives was supposed to do the rest.
>All traceable back to the people we wanted to blame of course.

>The magistrator was the most difficult approach, we knew that she was some kind of thrill-seeker, but finding out what she did exactly took some time.
>We traced all back to a château where some kind of bloodsport involving multiple people entering, and only one person exiting was held.
>After deciding that social infiltration seemed unfeasible and too dangerous for our purposes, Armatus suggested an orbital reconnaissance of the area.
>The focussed augury revealed the mansion to have an extensive cellar an escape tunnel leading to the outside of the perimeter.
>Breaching from there the military grade explosives were placed in the basement to detonate when she was inside.

>So much for the plan, and it all worked out perfectly. Except for a minor detail.
>>
>>49018009
>The part of the château that didn't blow up due to a fumbled demolitions skill test.
>That exact part happened to contain the target of our assassination at the time it happened.
>Now we didn't have a contingency plan, mostly due to it being late and everybody being tired as hell.
>The best thing we could come up with was taking our trusty, or rusty Arvus Lighter and going full throttle,
>chasing after her, hoping she wouldn't be gone by the time we arrived.

>The time we arrived a combined effort, but mostly the Arch-Militant spotted the fugitive and our ace pilot initiated the chase.
>It was dark, the target running and us being roughly 100m above ground, dense foilage covered her.
>We had no reliable way of taking her out, shots were fired, the missionary tried to use his flamer.
>Then an idea hit Armatus, a few missions ago he had loaded a 200l barrel of promethium into this shuttle.
>Don't ask. After realising this fact at the same time the first shots were fired,
>the player asked if the barrel was still on there, assuming he failed an challenging intelligence check.
>Now Armatus had only a 35% chance of failure on that test, but he did indeed fail.
>Next thing that happened, was Armatus attaching his 3 Frag grenades to the barrel and pulling the line of a grapnel through the pins.
>The other players at this point were merely shaking their heads in disbelief, doubting that this was the actual plan.
>Their doubts were disproved as he kicked the barrel out of the vehicle, holding the line and with it the life of his target.
>"Roll to hit, -30." The GM said. After spending a fate point for a +10, he rolled. Natural fucking one. 3.4 Degrees of Success.
>The jungle below him bursting into a raging inferno, he knew he found his true calling, the Ork of the party saying to him affectionately, "You a real mekboy, now"
>He himself merely uttering the words: "I need a new line."

And that's the tale how Armatus re-enacted the Vietnam War on one person
>>
>>49018037
Did they go down for the body?

Never assume somebody just died in a forest fire, even if they reasonably should. People have survived worse.
>>
>>49018180
Just remember this simple little rhyme.
"No head, they're not dead."
>>
>>49018180
It was an almost central hit with the blast of the weapon, even though we nerfed it since it was pure promethium and not a promethium based explosive (800m explosion radius with 400d10 damage would have been a bit much).
There is no chance she could have survived, they don't have power fields or the like on that planet.
Additionally the session ended there, because nobody could keep it together, so there is still the option.
>>
If a PC in Only War gets into crit wounds bad enough that they need a bionic limb/sense, are they entitled to a replacement or do they have to roll regimental logistics?
>>
>>49018278
Entitled to a replacement?
You are in the guard, son.
>>
>>49018278
You gotta roll for anything better than a timber peg. Except if you are elites or som ebullshit.
>>
>>49018284
>>49018278
What the anon above me means to say is

Yes

Roll regimental logistics. Barter some gear away on the sly if you need to. I'm sure some folks around the regimental encampment, or from another regiment, could use a few extra grenades or some backup rations. Whatever you need to barter away. If you have a guy with some decent Commerce skills, get him to make the trade.

Push comes to shove, steal something and have your squad medic do the surgery yourself.
>>
>>49018278
>entitled
You chose the wrong ffg game, buddy.
>>
Dark Hersy: 1st edition.
What type of stories could void-born from space hulk tell the other group during interlude?
>>
>>49014131
Don't be silly Anon, machine isn't weak like the flesh
>>
>>49019302
Creepy motherfucking ghost stories.
>>
>>49016987
Don't BS penalties with spray weapons make it easier for others to evade them?
>>
>>49019581
IIRC, that only results from firing a spray weapon while untrained.
>>
>>49016961
Seraphim do it
>>
>>49019841
Why GM said that seraphim is too OP for Dark Heresy cell. Our characters rank is 5 curremt, though.
>>
I just got myself a well paying job after many years of studying so I'm intending to celebrate by buying something. I have the Dark heresy 1st edition and some splat books. Since I've been out of the hobby for a few years I can't find any books from 1st edition in my neighbourhood. Is the systems between 1st and 2nd edition compatible? Do I need to buy the new edition to be able to use the new expansion books?
>>
File: guardsman's life.jpg (385KB, 619x800px) Image search: [Google]
guardsman's life.jpg
385KB, 619x800px
>Dark Heresy second session been delayed for a couple of months
>Finally seems like people's schedules are linking up
>Party has to recover a box of 'medicine' from a gang warehouse in underhive
>double check threat level
>realise I calculated it incorrectly before, party would have been instagibbed
>redo threat level

Glad I checked. I've never done combat with this group before. Hopefully it won't devolve into it if they're careful.
>>
>>49017073
I just started with Dark Heresy. It's pretty straight forward.
>>
File: 1455890134174.png (484KB, 1256x461px) Image search: [Google]
1455890134174.png
484KB, 1256x461px
>Roomie realizes I own BC, never played it, "oh shit Anon we have to play"
>okay bruh, summon the nerds, we game at 7
>I have 12 hours to read an entire rulebook and catch up on 30 years worth of Chaos fluff
>End up just handwaving most of the rules: we can't figure out bonuses for skills (do we use the tens value as a bonus to the challenge number? derp) so I just use a lot of smoke and mirrors "the Gm's got this guys don't worry"
>Put the Heretics in a tiny ass refugee transport shuttle, they immediately get up to shenanigans
>the Heretek starts chatting up the ship and pisses off the crew
>the Psyker is a Slaaneshi slut so she comes on to the Khornate ex Guardsman and ends up triggering his PTSD
>he vanishes into the corners of the vessel with a crit success stealth roll
>the players have now agitated the herd of refugees to the point the crew has to pull their ultimate plan of killing them all and selling the organs at Port Wander
>Turns out all those meat hooks on the ceiling weren't just for decoration
>Psyker uses push and starts generating Warp effects out the ass, trying to pull off mind powers, fails
>Whispers of the Warp on everyone
>in a tiny claustrophobic space
>basically in the dark
>Refugees go insane, try to lynch the Psyker, the Renegade guardsman cooks them to death with his lasgun in 1 turn because I don't know how spreading out shots works yet
>nevermind, it's terrifying and awesome
>the tech priest locks the doors to the room "because it's what the ship wants" and actually POPS one of the security guys in the closing doors like a goddam Gusher
>Absolute fucking pandemonium unfolds as the surviving refugees barricade themselves in the airlock
>Psyker skipping around in the blood, soaking Corpse Rations in it and eating them (I made her roll a toughness test because it's blood and she passed)
>Renegade is freaking out
>They have to somehow clean up all the blood before they make port

Not knowing the rules directly translates into fun, it seems
>>
>>49021327
Sanity is for the weak
>>
>>49021327
Playing loose with the rules can be a lot of fun.
>>
I want to run a Resident Evil 4/5/6 style campaign using DH 2. Homebrew Xeno species as parasites that can erupt into weird blade headed things, moths for heads and that fun stuff. How would you go about it? Currently it seems the best way would be to just juggle traits and let certain NPCs adopt traits like flying or crawler and fluff it appropriately. Anything more creative you guys can come up with? That feels a bit lame to me.
>>
>>49021046
>>49017073

I actually think Only War would be better for a first time GM.
Running Investigation adventures as a first time GM can be hard. Especially if you make your own. Handing out clues logically and at a good enough pace can be difficult.
>>
Anyone has some nice handouts for dh2/bc/ow? To tighten it up I need a handout for weaponry of bc and weapon special qualities.
>>
>>49022425
Imo I find that combat is the more difficult thing. not only is it less narrative focused, but it's harder to keep players interested in as well.
>>
>>49022185

This is just Tyranids bro

Fluff it as an offshoot of the hive that turns people into Parasyte style things
>>
>>49021327
That is the most wonderful thing I can imagine.
>>
>>49022620
Oh come on, anon, always linking back to one of the big bad xeno races or the chaos gods is boring.
>>
>>49023220
> Hey guys I came up with this homebrew that's exactly like some vidya
> That's already doable in the fluff, anon
> But that's boooooringgg
>>
>>49023220

but if it's not linked to a big bad player it doesn't feel like 40k. Things like Eldar, Chaos, Tyranids, and Tau are recognizable and evoke the right feels. Donut Steel Xenos just feels wrong, like it doesn't belong, or worse, like it's trying to supplant a real race in 40k.
>>
>>49023220
As the guy who made the request, I agree. There's plenty of room in the Galaxy (and DH is on the wrong side of it) for there to be Tyranids.

>>49023481
I'd have to disagree, I've played too many campaigns where different GMs have lulled the players into a false sense of creativity. He doesn't call his Plaguebearers Plaguebearers, they're not all one-eyed drooling monsters with gangly limbs and a bloated belly and so on and so forth. It gave the impression that the GM actually cared about what he was doing, while we may have been fighting a cult trying to exterminate all life across a sector using plagues and disease to kill millions without lifting a finger, it didn't feel like "Oh it's a nurgle cult". Only when he once let slip and said something to the tune of "They're summoning a Great Unclean One", did it click. And the penny dropped and the GM looked so miserable, because he wanted to keep stringing us along, and we wanted to be strung along.

Always linking back to a canon big bad is lame, there's no point in having all this blank canvas if you're not going to do anything but copy what's at the borders.
>>
>>49023617
>there's no point in having all this blank canvas if you're not going to do anything but copy what's at the borders.

In the same vein, why use an oil canvas if you actually want to use acrylics? There are other systems like Traveller or Eclipse Phase which can do weird and interesting aliens, or bizarre cults and mysteries. If I played in a 40k game, and I didn't see a single Tyranid or Tau or Leman Russ tank, for example, I'd feel like the experience got wasted.
>>
>>49023678
Fair enough, I should've explained myself a little better. The setting for the mission isn't entirely full of OC Donut Steel shit, the sector has Orks on the fringes, a Craftworld is roaming it somewhere and the Dark Eldar are active on a string of worlds owned by Nobility. The Resident Evil Plagas would pretty much be the only OC in the whole sector that's completely of my own creation. Everything else is regular 40k stuff, my bad if I gave the impression that I wanted to play a game that was 40k only in name.
>>
Are you guys really complaining about referencing that thing you like in 40k?
>>
>>49024088
And not pitting a foe that has a Codex against the party, apparently.
>>
Doesn't Dark Heresy already have a moss zombie enemy?
>>
Anyone has some nice heretic portraits for bc?
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>49025566
When you make it, heretic.
>>
Making it now
>>
>>49025897
>>49025614
>>49025566
see
>>49025917
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.