[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a world where the races have all integrated fully throughout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

In a world where the races have all integrated fully throughout the lands, what would the naming conventions be like? Would a human and an elf from the same cultural region be equally likely to be named John Hancock, or would there still be human names and elfy names?
>>
>>48952017
Family names would be different. And elf parents would give their kids elfy names.
Probably not "Starleaf Greenshadow", but natural names like Emeraldine, Aurel, Pinea, Stormy, Atlanta, etc Or elvish second names á la Johnny Nuraniel Smith, Theresa Utalarin Stormbound, etc
>>
>>48952017
> or would there still be human names and elfy names?
This.

Look at Germany, Bavarian names are different from Northern German names, for example. Sure, you have names that are used everywhere, but in Germany, you even has stereotypes about the common names of regions (Seppl for Bavarians, Ronny for East Germans, Malte for Northerners etc.).
>>
>>48952017
There's still gonna be the separation as others have pointed out, but you're probably gonna get some bastardizations of names between languages e.g. Francois to Francis, Jorjé to George, etc.
>>
>>48952017
Look around places where often changed owners and were generally border area, where shitload of people mixed.
It would have funny effect on surnames for sure. I come from Silesia, that's a tiny clay currently in Poland. But over past millenia it was independent tribal state, Czech, Polish, Czech, Austrian, German, Polish again, Polish yet again with everyone else deported and so on. Also, a lot of German colonsit were brought in medieval period.
Effect on surnames is funny, because each new owner of the clay simply turned existing names to fit own laguage. So there are surnames like Szmit, (Polonised Schmidt), ALONGSIDE actual Schmit and Shmit, Schmid and few similar, And of course Kowalski, Kowalz, Nowak, Neumann, Nojman (Polonised Neumann) and many many others.

tl;dr - it would be an interesting mix of surnames and names from all languages, probably fitted for the rules of language that is currently used in given region.
>>
File: 1399575898476.gif (307KB, 697x400px) Image search: [Google]
1399575898476.gif
307KB, 697x400px
>>48952017
>In a world where the races have all integrated fully throughout the lands, what would the naming conventions be like?
Fully integrated? Well, Canada isn't entirely integrated but on both sides of the language border you find both kinds of names. Justin Trudeau is Anglo-Canadian, but you wouldn't be able to tell by his name (especially considering he shares his last name with the French-Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau, though to my knowledge they're not related). Same with Belgium, mutatis mutandis. A pretty recent and pretty controversial prime minister there was Yves Leterne, despite his thoroughly French name he was from the Dutch half. In fact, he was so not-Walloon that when asked to sing the Belgian anthem (la Brabançonne) in French... he sung La Marseillaise.

So I imagine you'd have all possible combination of elven and human given and family names. Shit like John Quar'aerell would be entirely common and normal.
>>
>>48955688
Fuck me sideways, Justin is Pierre's son. Ignore that bit please.
>>
>>48955688
>Justin Trudeau is Anglo-Canadian, but you wouldn't be able to tell by his name (especially considering he shares his last name with the French-Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau, though to my knowledge they're not related).
They're literally father and son. Google you dumbass.
>>
Lots of good points in here, thank you anons. I'll have to take a serious thinker on the history and past cultural tensions of this world.
>>
>>48952017
>Starleaf Greenshadow
I always hate this about fantasy names. They just stick some English words together and suddenly it's not English, it's another language. So why not just leave it in the gibberish tongue and not make it sound like some lazy teenager's writing?
>>
>>48952017
Typically in the modern world, in regions with diverse cultural populations, you wind up with a sort of mix of traditional and primary cultural names.

For example, here we have a primarily American culture, a large contingent of Mexican immigrants, and smaller enclaves of Czech, Polish, German, and French cultures. Typically, children get names that reflect the primary culture (Lots of Johns, Georges, Mikes, etc, anything that's an Anglicanized name), with some of the Mexican population having hispanic names (Juan, Jorge, Enrique, Angel) mixed in based on how many generations removed from the original culture the parents are. Smaller enclaves wind up with with a higher portion of Anglicanized names, though sometimes the official name that shows up on a birth certificate is from an original culture and a "common" name is used for them by the majority of people (IE, that kid who everyone knew as Henry in school officially has to fill out all documents as Heinrich.).

I think the last one is an interesting way to do things, you might know someone all their life as one name and come to find out their real name paints an entirely different perspective of who they are and what their family is like.
>>
Geographic integration is not the same as cultural integration.
>>
>>48957349

Assume cultural integration across centuries or even a milllenium of races sharing cities and towns. The crux of my question is whether regional culture (names, holidays, etc) would outweigh the racial cultures from when the races were a lot more separate
>>
>>48957625
Depends on the strength of the local culture. If you've got a culture that's attractive or pervasive throughout society, you're going to see a lot less racial traditions. If it's REALLY pervasive, you wind up with surrounding regions adopting parts of it (Like some of Mexico celebrating Thanksgiving or having superbowl parties.).
>>
File: imagine.png (217KB, 553x540px) Image search: [Google]
imagine.png
217KB, 553x540px
>>48952017
>forearms as big around as waistline
>8 pack
>>
>>48952017
>those undergarments on the female elf

For what purpose?
>>
Some names would be common but slightly differentiated depends on where you are from. Just like how "John" can be Ian, Sean, Ivan, Hans, etc.

So, the human name "Athlen" becomes "Aedelain" in Elvish, "Atalan" in Dwarven, "Thlen" in Orcish, "Atti" in Halfling.
>>
I think so. My dad is Jewish but him and his brother got Irish names, but as soon as me and my sister were born it was back to Jew names. People don't really apprecuate where names come from nowadays so a mother giving her daughter an elf name to sound pretty, or a dad giving his son a dwarf name cause it sounded strong would probably be common. Orcs would be like black people and continue to name their kids stupid tribal shit (Orkul-Borkul to orcs as Sha-Na-Na is to blacks) so the asshole orcs in shitty slums would be all named Bjork and Forbul and the successful orcs with good parents would be called Alexander and Maximillion
>>
>>48956635
>make it sound like some lazy teenager's writing?
Because most of the guys doing this shit are lazy fucks when it comes to that. So they just give you what it would sound like in 'common' because these creators aren't all fucking Tolkien to say the least. And even if they tried to make a non-human language it would most likely be a half assed job anyway.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.