[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are consumer goods like in the 40k universe? There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: chaos forces.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
chaos forces.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
What are consumer goods like in the 40k universe?

There's tons of autismal fact-sheets on things like bolters and the various models of tank, but what are the family sedans and household furniture like? Who do people who aren't combat units dress? Do ballpoint pens exist?
>>
>>48951146
They are all over the place. Military equipent is somewhat standartized byDepartment Munitorum, so it can be catalogued. Civilian stuff? That's not standartized,and varies fromplanet to planet gratly. There is no hope todescribe it. Basically,anything youcanimagine either is a thing somewhere, or at least used to be a thing.
>>
>>48951178

This.

Like, the one constant might be that everything has skulls on it and that's a big maybe.
>>
>>48951146
While >>48951178 is right that it varies from planet to planet, it should also be noted that the idea of "consumer goods" would not exist on all planets.

While some planets in the Imperium have market economies of a kind we recognize, many wouldn't. In command economies and feudal economies, the idea of "consumer goods" wouldn't really come up. It's only a coherent concept in economies quite like our own and on a planetary level, 40k exhibits a riot of diversity in economic models.
>>
>>48951146
Probably a lot of skulls, bad aesthetics and tripe-wide shirts to handle the fact that all the men are proportioned like dwarves despite somehow all being 6+ feet tall.

Probably a lot of alcohol and hentai too, since canon artwork and models seem to indicate all the human women have a serious case of manface.
>>
>>48951337
>>48951266
Maybe I should rephrase my question; if I wanted to design the luxury sedan that a Rogue Trader would drive, what sorts of design elements would I have to keep in mind to make it undeniably 40k without sacrificing the concept of "luxury sedan" in the process? Or doing the same for something like a set of normal non-aristocrat furniture, etc.
>>
>>48951470
>undeniably 40k

Anything.

Not even joking.

You want ez mode make it gold and white with xenos pelts and put some human skulls on it.

40k tends to have a vaguely european style to it so if you are worried about purists being pricks then go with that.

Though real talk you can justify putting pretty much anything in 40k.
>>
>>48951470
A Rogue Trader by nature has access to pretty much every market and unlimited funds, so you could conceivably have him drive almost any style of vehicle as long as it looks like you could buy a small country with it.
The general theme of the Imperium upper classes is,obviously, Gothic, gold, eagles, and skulls. Pick two and you're golden.

Hell, this is a Rogue Trader we're talking about, why stop at one car? He ought to have a garage that would make Jay Leno cream his pants.
>>
>>48951554
well he can only drive one at once, and the first step to designing a thousand cars to fill out an entire car park is designing that first one

>Gothic, gold, eagles, and skulls
ok, got it. should this also apply to lower classes, too? maybe replacing the gold and eagles with more medieval peasant-y things to contrast the renaissance-ish fashions and medieval architecture? or should they have more modern, urbane, utilitarian-styled metal boxes to do all their people-carrying and stationery-filing?
>>
>>48951970
A Harper Invacar that runs on a mix of Prometheum,radioactive toxic waste and children blood.
>>
>>48951970
I think the most universal theme of imperial engineering is that it is blocky and angular. Everything else is optional.
>>
File: Old_Golf_(3177313604).jpg (3MB, 2496x1788px) Image search: [Google]
Old_Golf_(3177313604).jpg
3MB, 2496x1788px
>>48953387
So, imperial car designs never got beyond the 70's. Although I think pic related would be perfect for your average imperial citizen as a car. It's cheap to build, easy to maintain and absoluteley everyone has one. Also it's a workhorse that runs even after 10.000 years.
>>
>>48951146
Watch Dune and Eraserhead back to back then binge on 1700-1800's fashion and Art Deco industrial design (1920-1940ish). So quill pens with steel nibs and an ink pot made of a rat's skull sitting on a dark mahogany and aluminum desk that has inlaid Holo projectors and is powered by a wrist thick cable plugged into a wall outlet as big as a dinner plate. Also, the electronics in the desk are driven by a convict's brain in a jar.
>>
>>48953654
screenshotting this for future use
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.