[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I play rpg's by myself. Completely alone. I essentially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

I play rpg's by myself. Completely alone. I essentially divide up my conscious into "GM" and "Player". I essentially create temporary "tulpas"(very loose word choice, I may be lonely but I'm not insane) for the characters. It's a fun way to play out stories with a element of strategy and randomness due to the nature of whatever system I may be playing.

However, I am curious as to how freakish this is? Does anyone else do it?
>>
Competitive daydreaming
>>
>>48937935
That's actually pretty accurate. I've spent hours upon hours in my life just daydreaming about far away lands, people, and creatures that don't even exist. I guess it helps to escape the pain of whatever current situation I'm in. And pretty much everything short of sleeping brings me pain. Thanks depression.
>>
>>48937913

Not exactly, but whenever I'm writing and can't decide whether a character should fail a task I like to leave it up to a chance roll of the dice.

It keeps me on my toes by forcing me to think of the consequences for my characters.

Maybe you should consider writing out some of these games?
>>
File: JnBur5a.jpg (986KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JnBur5a.jpg
986KB, 1920x1080px
>>48937972
That's a good idea. Maybe even in the form of a journal from one of the characters, or perhaps a historian in the setting? The only thing is that I lack faith in my writing abilities, so it probably wouldn't be pretty to read.
>>
>>48938062
Very few of the first things written by anyone is pretty to read, but no one goes from 0 to 60 without hitting 10, 23, and 45 in between.
>>
>>48937913

You know there are solo RPGs and gamebooks, right?
>>
File: Ira-Glass-Quote.jpg (231KB, 632x840px) Image search: [Google]
Ira-Glass-Quote.jpg
231KB, 632x840px
>>48938144

This. To git gud at writing, you have to write a lot. Like digging for gold, you don't just walk along and trip over a pile of gold bars one day, no, you have dig up a lot of worthless shit first before you get to the gold. You can't just give up when the very first shovel-full turns out to be just dirt.
>>
>>48937913
Why don't you just completely randomize the dm role? Like, you land on a (roll) type planet of (roll) size and (roll) color, its main economic resource is (roll).
Now, when the (roll) local see you, they (roll). But, 12 miles out, (roll) numbers of (roll) type creatures come at you, etc etc
>>
>>48937965
>pretty much everything short of sleeping brings me pain
>being able to sleep at all
>not fearing the sleepless nights full of agony and pain as your weak body and feeble mind torment you until only the painkillers may help and you sleep for a few but still restless hours.
Man some people really have it good.
>>
>>48938433
To get good at anything you need to do it a lot, really.
>>
>>48938688
Smoke some weed bro
>>
>>48937965
This is okay, insofar it is counter-balanced by actually trying to improve your RL situation. Even tiny, tiny steps are good. But if all you do is dream away, that's not a healthy road.
>>
>>48937913
I sort of do this. When I write stories I roll a d20 to see how things go. Sometimes they don't go as planned and I get a more interesting story.

>>48938433
This dawg.
>>
>>48937913
This is pretty sad desu senpai.

I live a completely solitary life, and even I don't go that far.

You should really try to find some players or run something online.
>>
File: Butterfly Cosmonaut.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Butterfly Cosmonaut.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>48937913
Welcome back Alexander Crackedmind.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/23098241/
>>
>>48937913
Tried this once, started playing PCs weird and unexpected, like I divided into more people, got really fucking spooked and stopped. It's pretty freakish.

Read Fighting Fantasy games and such stuff; do a GM-less system, try getting 1-2 friends to play with you (easier to play with 1-2 people than 4), or try a roll20.
I made a mod for my shitty d6-OSRish-homebrew that generates a dungeon room with 52-cards, and every new room is GM'd by an another player, this led to some pretty wacky shit and fun situations.
>>
>>48937965
Ever hear of maladaptive daydreaming?
>>
I've been doing something like this since I was seven. Sane continuity, same world. Autistic as fuck but I can't stop.
>>
File: commedia-dell'arte_Watteau.jpg (81KB, 800x658px) Image search: [Google]
commedia-dell'arte_Watteau.jpg
81KB, 800x658px
It's not all that weird desu. It isn't too different from what writers do when writing stories. You've just decided to keep things in line by applying an RPG ruleset. That's the only part that's a bit weird.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.