[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sorry if this is an autistic question, but what is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hmm.jpg (17KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
17KB, 408x286px
I'm sorry if this is an autistic question, but what is the point of

>Natural
>Fucking
>Twenty

Stories? Assuming they're even true, it means that you got saved by dumb luck at a critical juncture. If you could have hedged things better where you didn't need such a great roll or a risky plan, you've been playing badly. If your in a situation where no matter how good your plan is, you need to get a lucky roll at the cusp to win, you're in a shitty game with a shitty GM.

I've been in games where I needed extremely lucky rolls to survive, and mostly I get a sinking feeling and wondering what the hell went wrong that I GOT into this position, and if I luck out, it's relief, not some crowning triumph.

What's the appeal?
>>
There isn't one, probably ~85% or more of people who share greentext don't even play any traditional games
>>
Sometimes a DM will make things ridiculously hard because they don't like what you're doing.

That 20 is the representation of 'Fuck you, DM.' in those moments, where the players has, to put an analogy to real life, smacked the smug cuban trader who only accepts rupees - thinking you're a filthy America with only dollars - with a massive wad of rupee cash.
The only currency the DM would have accepted.

At that point, the DM can either say 'No, it still doesn't work.' and disappoint everybody, or finally cave in and accept that it happens.

Many stories may simply not happen because a 20 isn't rolled, and the DM keeps things on the rails.

The 20 is that point in time where - even if through dumb luck - your character has disregarded the DM and launched the train into the air.

If you have an ability which automatically gives you a 20, that probably wouldn't be as interesting.
'I use an ability which makes me get a 20, that I can only use once a day.' sort of thing.
Yes, it could make for a good story, but it takes away all suspense as you know it's going to work anyway, and you're kind of cheating the system, which means the DM is probably just being nice if they let you do your thing.

The unlikelihood of getting a 20 keeps crazy shit from happening all the time, but means that when it does...
>>
>>48935515
>The unlikelihood of getting a 20 keeps crazy shit from happening all the time, but means that when it does...
The likelihood is 5 fucking percent. When you combine 20 and 1, there is a 10% chance of something tu-tu-tu-TOOOOOWTALLY WACKY happening. This is why nat 1 and nat 20 stories are trite.
>>
>>48936894
There is a 1/20 chance of that story never happening if it requires a nat 20 to happen.

And then a 1/400 chance of that story never happening if it requires two nat 20s to happen.

a 1/20 chance of success is a BIG FUCKING DEAL if you life is on the line.

It's not about 'something wacky' happening.
It's about something happening at just the right time.

If the chance was 1/500 for a crit, it wouldn't be fun, because you'd only see anything unexpected happen every five or so sessions, even if it is a bigger deal.
>>
>>48935363
Most of those stories are told because they're entertaining, as are most stories in general. it's not about "We were stuck in the trenches and were all going to die unless Player X rolls a natural 20.". It's more akin to hearing about how things went much better than expected, and how it might have been interesting or comical. I agree that no situation should be innately hinged on "20 or nothing" in a game. But most natural 20 stories I hear are less about how they suddenly saved the day at the most crucial point, and more about how the player succeeded to an exaggerated degree that is amusing to hear about at a time when it wasn't the most crucial.
>>
>>48935363
>Everything is on the line
>Go for big flashy move or save your ass or get murdered
>Get lucky and win big

What's not to like? It's just like being stoked when you win at [insert gamble here], but in this case you are probably a weirdo in fantasy garb fucking up a dragon
>>
>>48936957
>>48936990
>>48937397
These guys know what's up.
>>
>>48935363
>You should have planned things better
There are still risks in general. Your backup plans can fail spectacularly too. In fact some of these stories are being saved by a reversal of luck after misfortune burns through like five layers of backup planning.

Especially since a lot of stuff in tabletop in general has combat involved, which if you fuck that up you're more than likely dead.

Also you're missing out on stories where shit just happens that you can't really plan ahead for without being the GM or massive levels of metagaming "Better beg the wizard for a +1 sword of antidragon slaying. There's no way an antidragon should show up and we're in no way going to be going to the antimatter realm but you never know!". Or better ,"A normal person doesn't get buttmad over a random comment at the table and have their PC try to bumrush yours off a cliff for it"
>>
>>48935363
They're most often silly and entertaining. They're like potato chips. You don't eat chips for a deep nutritional culinary fulfillment, and you don't read nat 20 stories for literary satisfaction. You do it because they're fun and crunchy and they taste good.
>>
>>48935363
non autistic people find them funny, up to a point.
>>
>>48935363
>I'm sorry if this is an autistic question
It is and you should be.
>>
>>48935363
Your apology is not fucking accepted. You've wasted an entire thread on a retarded question. You're worse than people who make That Guy threads and lie about their experiences.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.