[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mouse Guard RPG worth playing? I'm not a fan of the comic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: mouse guard.jpg (249KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
mouse guard.jpg
249KB, 500x499px
Is Mouse Guard RPG worth playing? I'm not a fan of the comic but I love the concept of little cute mice fighting real, giant predators.
That being said, I'm not convinced. Does the system bring something new to the table?
>>
boump
>>
It has a neat way of handling conflicts as presented through a wierd pseudo card game between the the Gm and the party. My group played it for a good portion of the winter and spring and had a good lot of fun. Plus it very much encourages fleshed out character personalities and has mechanics that reward players for playing their characters. Plus Mice fighting off birds and weasels with halberds and swords is awesome.
>>
Redwall hack when?
>>
>>48930339
I wish. There is that Redwall Vidya coming soon, though.

It always bugs me that you can't use anthro characters without either being called furries or attracting legit furries.
>>
>>48927765
It's based off Burning Wheel, so the mechanics are a bit "out there". It's something I'd have to play first hand to really make a judgement, but the setting and idea are fantastic.
>>
>>48930339
Every Mouse Guard thread this comes up, but honestly, you'd be better off using your favorite generic fantasy system for Redwall. Mouse Guard's mechanics simulate a very specific fictional reality, in which mice are mouse-sized and the enemies they fight range from dangerous to walking natural disasters.

Redwall is more your standard heroic fantasy in which the differences in species are only really important when the plot requires it. Where a mouse and a fox can go toe-to-toe with each other, and where badgers are big, but not so big that they can't cohabitate comfortably in the abbey.
>>
>>48930854
What about the system that shall not be named?

Also, a Mouseguard question. Do humans exist in the setting? Is it modern?
>>
>>48930882
GURPS
>>
>>48930882
No and no. Just animals.
>>
>>48930882
>What about the system that shall not be named?

Ironclaw? It'd work. So would GURPS or Fate if you wanted to dash to either end of the spectrum.
>>
>>48930914
Interesting. Is there a mythology in the setting?
>>
>>48930967
Closest thing I can think of is the myth of the Black Axe
>>
>>48927765
I've played a few one-shot games of Mouse Guard - one was online with a couple other fa/tg/uys. Enjoyable enough, and like all Burning Wheel games it really only does one very specific game but it does that game thoroughly.
>>
if you're not a fan of the comics I'd say take a pass on it honestly, with that said try out Torchbearer as its similar but goes for generic dungeon crawling fantasy.
>>
Is Mouse Guard true in animal size scale? ie is every hare way larger than a mouse? Or is everything roughly the same size and mice are just the "shorter" animals?

Either way, this concept looks awesome. I'm about to read everything I can on this game.
>>
>>48927765
Probably one of my favorite game systems and settings, run it every chance it get.
>>48932653
Yes, it's true that it's all real scale. Mice are mice sized, hares are hare sized, moose are moose sized etc. The only differences between the mouse guard world, and, say, a natural park in a temperate climete are: No humans or signs of humans and all mammalian species (and maybe avian also) are sentient to a degree (although many are fairly alien from a mouse perspective, and only a few species like mice and weasels use technology, build buildings, use tools, etc.). Thats it.
>>
>>48930967
There are a few things that could be considered myths, though not a lot. As somebody else mentioned, there's a storied hero with a cool axe, and things like ghost stories are mentioned now and then.
>>
Also the art for both the RPG and the comic is pimp as all fuck.
>>
It's a fun system.
It's what I usually use to introduce players to more narrative systems.
Currently running a campaign for three with players investigating a crime ring.
>>
>>48930339
Why not use Ironclaw?
>>
>>48933532
Thank you for explaining, anon. I was hoping this is the case. Imagining a boss fight vs a way larger mammal sounds crazy epic.
>>
>>48930882
>Do humans exist in the setting? Is it modern?
the setting is focused around sentient animals, no humans have ever appeared anywhere near the territories (the mouseguard's central setting) and there is no evidence to suggest that there are humans anywhere at all, no artifacts from human civilization, no stories of colossal apes, nothing. It would be fair to assume that humans do not exist in their world and instead there are just the aforementioned sentient animals. Also, it is not a modern setting, it's a medieval world where the most advanced thing we ever see is a Gutenberg-style printing press.
>>
File: IMG_0920.png (7MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0920.png
7MB, 3024x4032px
>>48933626
Hell yeah it is. I got this signed by the artist at a convention in Chicago earlier this year.
>reuploading since I forgot to rotate the image

As far as the RPG itself goes, I really enjoy it. It's an incredibly narrative setting, and while the book lays out most of the work for running a Mouse Guard specific setting, it's basically just Burning Wheel with a couple additions. Any system that rewards players who spend more time role playing than roll playing is okay in my book.
>>
this game makes weather fun
>>
>>48937480
One of the book has an encounter with a snow owl.

It's basically a stealthy dragon.

Another is a fishermouse against a crab.

Shit is awesome.

>>48933532
There are basic man made loot: The fishing hook used by the waterside ranger and IIRC someone uses a human sewing thimble.
>>
>>48937480
iirc the rulebook says you need an army of 10,000 mice if you want to take down a bear
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 600x542px
>>48939465
Forgot my image
>>
>>48939469
Only 10,000?
>>
File: natural order chart.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
natural order chart.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>48940824
it's actually 20,000 my bad

here's a picture of the natural order scale from the book. to kill or capture an animal 2 steps up typically requires 20 mice, 3 steps requires 100, 4 requires 200, 5 requires 2,000 and 6 requires 20,000

if anyone wants a picture of something else im happy to oblige btw
>>
>>48941158
I know the whole point of the books is no humans, but I wonder just how many mice it would take to kill one dude armed to the teeth.
>>
>>48927765
The rulebook can't be more than 100 pages, just flip through it.
>>
>>48941724
Humans don't fit in this reality, but for kicks: I'd say a Guard Patrol could just wait for sleepy-time. RIP human.
>>
>>48939469
The example of 10,000 mice is also using Militarist without force multipliers.
You can use science or engineering to reduce that number by bringing siege weapons/traps/chemical warfare etc.
>>
>>48943336
of course, those are estimates for the number of mice it'll with basic armaments - after all it only took one mouse, albeit an extraordinary one, to kill an owl in the comic series. i just really love the idea of legions of mice dropping down from trees and killing shit with in a literal "death by a thousand cuts" scenario
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.