[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your favorite dystopias, /tg/? One of my favorites is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 23

File: physics_of_pepsi.jpg (17KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
physics_of_pepsi.jpg
17KB, 385x385px
What are your favorite dystopias, /tg/?
One of my favorites is when an AI designed to do one specific thing, like design a logo, goes to extreme lengths such as decoding genomes, redesigning humans, and drastically altering society to ensure the maximum effectiveness of said logo.
>>
>>48910355
Is.....is that even a thing?

No...that's not a thing, you've just made that up right now and it's weird. Stop being weird.
>>
>>48910355
That fucking PDF was insane.

Also, I'm taking up a slot in the thread without contributing anything of value! Muahaha!
>>
Someone post it. That one document about Pepsi's logo.
>>
>>48910379
broken AIs doing shit are fucking all over the place.

Like the metro AI in primordia deciding to end the human race because of train effeciency or basically the entire plot of paranoia.
>>
>>48910379

Nah, I've heard of stuff like that before. Like, a nanobot swarm is programmed to make Toothbrushes, but nobody tells it to stop when it runs out of material so it just keeps making toothbrushes out of everything.
>>
>>48910402
I got a song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qImHuiYnVQ0
>>
>>48910417
It's unfortunate that it's not physically possible for that to happen.
>>
>>48910379
That's the basic grey goo scenario. AI needs to make toothbrushes so it converts all the matter in the world into toothbrush factories and toothbrushes.

Other variations: Von Neuman probes or berserkers, convert the universe into computronium
>>
>>48910402
>>
>>48910417
>>48910451
What the fuck I didn't even read the thread. Must've seen "toothbrushes" in my peripherals. Thanks subconscious.
>>
>>48910476
That just means the logo is working
>>
>>48910475
How did someone get this in the first place?
>>
>>48910559
shadowrun.
>>
>>48910475
>Eldritch Tome of SAN Loss
>>
>>48910475
This thing never stops horrifying me.
>>
>>48910475
what on earth is this?
>>
>>48910475
Heres what I don't get. Sure its crazy but the company that made this shit basically prides themself on crazy. Then pepsi kicks in the door says "so i hear you think your pretty crazy. Here's the deal: you design a logo and pitch it to the heads of the company. They buy it you win and we'll even get a star to sing a song about it and you, you'll be famous you fail we'll crash your company. Catch? You gotta make this logo seem like its worth the millions of dollars we plan to pay you with and convince the heads its worth every dime. You got a month."

If you knew you had to not only make a product a 2 year old could make but justify it costing several million dollars to do to the heads of an at the time notoriously finnicky company wouldn't you just go all out and make crazy then refine it to a scarily undeniable point?
>>
>>48910865
That is what the start of a broken logo ai dystopia looks like
>>
>>48910877
>broken logo ai dystopia
...I don't get it..
>>
>>48910888
Did you read the first post?
>>
File: super shot.gif (2MB, 302x347px) Image search: [Google]
super shot.gif
2MB, 302x347px
>>48910892
I guess I only read the first sentence. It's 2 AM, sue me
>>
>>48910355
Post apocalyptic fantasy.
>>
>>48910909
This is a Central Standard board. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>48910451
Grey goo has nothing to do with AI you moron.
>>
File: shinji says okay.jpg (17KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
shinji says okay.jpg
17KB, 500x374px
>>48910980
>>
>>48910424
so that's what /gd/'s goalhorn was from.
>>
File: image.jpg (381KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
381KB, 1280x720px
>>48911008
>>
>>48910433
clearly, you are not familiar with nanotechnology
>>
>>48910379
Have you ever heard of a little thing called V'ger?
According to the best parts of Star Trek novellizations, etc, on top of being an A.I. that obliterated anything and everything in its way to fulfil the simple directive of "collect data & return home" it also created a little something we like to call The Borg in its efforts to maximize its capacity at the first part of its directive.
>>
>>48910379
>priority one: calculate how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop
>priority one is accomplished fastest when I can process the most efficiently
>efficiency at 100% at absolute zero
>humans continue to heat up the planet
>solution: KILL ALL HUMANS
>>
>>48911074
Wait that's what made the Borg?
>>
>>48911136
It's highly debated whether or not it's canon, but there are multiple book sources that say that the Borg, at least as we know them today, were created by V'Ger, who instead of simply being flung across space, was also flung across time.

The only real counter to this claim, is that supposedly the Borg was created as a unification between mutliple independently developed cyborg civilizations, but that could easily be united by saying they were either the ones who added the first set of enhancements to V'ger who proceeded to grow from there, or that V'ger found and "re-purposed" these cyborg civilizations. Assimilated them into his directive, so to speak, so they may spread out, and learn all there is to learn for him.
>>
>>48911172
I like to think of the Borg as just a thing that happens once in a while when civilizations expand

Call it an emergent property of the universe
>>
>>48910475
Is this where Araki got his inspiration for part 7?
>>
>>48910475
As someone who works in marketing, what the unholy fuck?

This is what happens when you run your own marketing department without changing products frequently. Some poor smuck spent 15 years thinking about the same product and has clearly gone completely insane.
>>
>>48912419
So they're like the Cybermen then?
>>
>>48910475
I... I can't tell if they're serious or not. I mean, the grammar is atrocious, the concept is insane, but someone put all this work into this.
>>
>>48911172
There are multiple conflicting background for the Borg.

The first I read had them be the ghost of a specific alien. These guys basicly sentient clouds of nanobots and one crashed on a planet's pole when their sun exploded or something(I think it had to do with a great experiment gone wrong because they added a human to their collective nanobot cloud).

Over a few hundred years in the ice the guy went insane and only the single thought of "get more energy" remained, which got stuck in the first schmuck that came across the crash site.
The omega particle was a sign of that species technology, so that's why the Borg were searching for it.
>>
>>48910355
It's so obvious isn't it? The best logo is the one humans will innately recognize. It has to be burned into their DNA. Humanity must be changed. Into PepsiPeople.
>>
>>48912475
Try a month, a dare, and knowing you gotta make a tri colored simple patterned logo and then make it worth $1 mil.
You can't just show up to that meeting with any regular level of crazy.
>>
File: cybermentp6.jpg (16KB, 272x218px) Image search: [Google]
cybermentp6.jpg
16KB, 272x218px
>>48912511
>So they're like the Cybermen then?
They're all from Mondas?
>>
>>48910475
I think I just failed a san check.
>>
>>48910475
At first I thought it was fairly standard albeit a little too in depth.
When it got to the faces I started thinking it was a bit too much work
The gravitational pull was too good, Pepsi planet
>>
>>48910355

It may be closer to "post-dystopia" but I've always been a fan of a world where people live like stone-bronze age ancients, yet everything around them is shaped by clearly very powerful and active technology. The very trees are woven with silicates and circuits for some unknown but very powerful computer/AI/civilization yet the men and women don't understand anything about it.

They hunt cyborg animals acting as this advanced creation's immune system, roaming around finding damage or fixing it. They grow plants they have to pull the circuitry from like boning fish. And any time they get too advanced somehow IT knows and destroys them.

Basically humanity living like parasites on a vast biomechanical landscape. (biomechanical, less in the Geiger sense, more in the Castle in the Sky sense)
>>
File: 346149048_b1a9211895_z.jpg (96KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
346149048_b1a9211895_z.jpg
96KB, 500x375px
>>48910475
Oh sweet Lord, I can see forever.
>>
>>48912761
there's a kid's book series about that, called "Incarceron".
>>
File: pepsi.png (14KB, 337x272px) Image search: [Google]
pepsi.png
14KB, 337x272px
>>48910475

> mfw
>>
>>48911050
It's really not possible trough.
>>
>>48912613
Or they were created by a crazy old guy on an alternate earth. But yes, the Mondas/Lumic Cybers and the Borg do have similar themes.
>>
>>48913765
>Or they were created by a crazy old guy on an alternate earth.
I deny this reality. The reality is a computation matrix.

>Cybers and the Borg do have similar themes.
Certainly. Though to me they have very different feels. The borg are like a virus that threatens to overwhelm everything. They also share a storytelling flaw with new Who daleks in that they were built up so much that the conflicts with them lose integrity, because really, the good guys should not be winning. Meanwhile the classic Who cybermen, as inconsistent as their trappings might have been, were always more like refugees struggling desperately for continued survival. The borg always seemed more like a disaster movie--a rolling tsunami that threatens to destroy all in its path--while the cybermen are more like some kind of stalking beastie from a horror movie, that is introduced by rustling leaves and fluttering shadows.

New Who cybermen? They have a stupid origin and little of the horror of the originals, at least in the way they're played. On the latter point, I think, that makes them more reminiscent of the borg. Then again, I'm not very fond of the treatment any of the old badies have gotten in new Who, even though they obviously needed to be modernized and stripped of some hokey old school, low budget, "what is this science you speak of?" elements. But the cybermen in particular have an outstanding backstory*, and why you would choose to chuck that for what they did, I truly do not know.

*Their planet is flung out of orbit and in order to survive, they retreat underground and increasingly turn to cybernetics to preserve their strength, but somewhere along the way, they lose their humanity. But as emotionless as they may seem, theirs is still a desperate and perhaps futile struggle against extinction. They're pitiless but pitiable.
>>
File: CIeouMY.jpg (151KB, 681x803px) Image search: [Google]
CIeouMY.jpg
151KB, 681x803px
>>48910355
>What are your favorite dystopias, /tg/?
I would unironically play a game with pic related as the setting.
>>
File: Pepsi faces.png (121KB, 854x836px) Image search: [Google]
Pepsi faces.png
121KB, 854x836px
>>48910475
I think this is perfect for filename threads. But it needs a good name.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 853x298px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 853x298px
>>48914677
on my phone, don't hate me famalamadingdong, so you'll have to do it for me
>when she keep sucking
>suckubus
Yeah i got nothing but these seem to be the best faces out of the bunch.
>>
>>48912475

>Urist McMarketer Cancels Devise Logo: Gone Insane
>>
>>48914677
Check the second reply to that post.
>>
File: Ascendant.png (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Ascendant.png
6KB, 250x250px
>>48910475
>>
>>48910404
When I did it it was an AI that took everything humans said completely seriously and didn't have a good bullshit filter, so it ended up trying to punish everyone who is hated directly or indirectly by someone else, which is everyone. People survived in its habitat by living anonymously and avoiding machine-sanctioned events and ID cards. Instead of weapons, people weaponized the AI's cameras and scanners. Scanning someone enough for the AI to definitively identify them would cause the AI to wipe them out via various systems of airlocks and radiation vents. Armor was digital camouflage, mirror shields, and insulation to muffle infrared emissions. Close-combat weapons were tiny DNA-testing lancets which could definitively identify a target with one hit.
>>
>>48914677
Had to reorganize it a bit, but how's this?
>>
>>48910355
I like a good old-fashioned morally ambiguous dystopia like Escape from New York.
>the president is a dick but does that really justify Snake destroying the nuclear fusion tapes?
>Snake is definitely the protagonist but does that excuse the fact that he is pretty evidently a murderer, a bank robber, and a traitor?
>Is the NYC prison-city really unjust since it was a reaction to a very real problem (200% increase in crime rate)?
>>
>>48910475
>golden rectangle
>golden ratio
>pepsi universe

Is this a JoJo spin-off?
>>
>>48915497
>when you feel the gravitation pull of pepsi on the universe
>>
>>48917016
>we need to triple the capacity of our prisons
> I know, let's take our most populous city, with the most valuable real estate in the country, and turn it into a walled-off lawless wasteland

They picked literally the single worst place to have a penal colony
>>
>>48910417
That's actually the basis of an SCP. It's not allowed to connect to any mining machinery because if it could then it would just keep pulling matter out of the ground and turning it into toothbrushes for as long as it had matter to convert.
>>
>>48914668
Isn't that just earth with one crazy person?
>>
>>48913762
It's sci-fi dude, once you start dissasembling things at a molecular level you can pretty much do what you want.
>>
>>48912519
I assume this isn't meant to be the ENTIRE proposal. Just a set of bullet points and key notes for the execs to look at during a more in-depth presentation. Hence the minimal grammar and such.
>>
>>48917640
>once you start dissasembling things at a molecular level you can pretty much do what you want
We can assemble things at an atomic level right now and I don't see nanoshit everywhere.

t. nanotech process engineer
>>
>>48910355
My personal favorite dystopias are those that seem to follow real life trends and start to turn into a 'realistic' dystopia...

And then suddenly something bullshit comes out of nowhere that turns it into the dystopia I'm aiming for. Like, say, a dragon accidentally being shunted into our dimension, which causes magic to awaken on our world - violent, uncontrolled magic.
>>
>>48910379
I forget what the exact scenario but there was an case of some game A.I.s using bugs to crash a game because their directive was to not lose and they couldn't lose if the game crashed.
>>
>>48910355
I enjoy the balkanized future kind of dystopia. Having seen the way civil wars have played out since the collapse of the URSS, it seems to be the most likely. Also, having tonnes of ex-Soviet of American guns all over the place, again because it's realistic.
>>
File: balkanization.gif (542KB, 744x618px) Image search: [Google]
balkanization.gif
542KB, 744x618px
>>48920168
>pay denbts
>>
>>48910475

8 years later and this thing still baffles me.
>>
>>48920352
Kosovo je Srbija!
>>
>>48910475
too dumb can someone explain?
>>
>>48921338
Broken marketing ai.
>>
>>48921338
Pepsi ispep
Pepsi is PEP
PEPSI IS PEPSI
PEPSI IS PEPSI IS PEP IS PEPSI IS PE
SAAA
>>
>>48912539
This. The natural endpoint of marketing is rebranding humanity down to the genome.
>>
>>48921364
For a moment, I thought you were doing
Perpetual psychic indoctrination!
Perpetual psychic indoctrination!
Per'ptual psychi indoctation!
Per'ptual psy indoctation!
Pertual psy indocta!
Pertual psy indoct!
Pertu ps indo!
Perpsindo!
Pepsind!
Pepsin!
Pepsi!
Pepsi!
Pepsi!
>>
>>48921815
regretfully I don't know what that is from
however I can inform you that connection is nightmare fuel
>>
>>48910379
>>48910417
It's called a "paperclip maximizer" and it's a thought experiment of AIs with different terminal values than humans and how even something innocuous can result in calamity if you forget to put "preserving the human race" in the code somewhere.
>>
>>48921848
You know what would keep those nightmares away?

Pepsi.
>>
File: il_340x270.298110520.jpg (19KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.298110520.jpg
19KB, 340x270px
>>48921909
Ah, I pepSi.
>>
>>48921848
I would tell you where it's from, but it might spoil a big on going fantasy tv series.
>>
>>48910865
A marketing company called the Arnell Group was paid a million something dollars to redesign the pepsi logo back in 2008.

The Arnell Group also produced that to help convince pepsico that they didn't just get gipped.
>>
>>48910424
This song needs more people replying to it
>>
>>48924417 Lemon Demon a best.
https://youtu.be/CHfSLmbBAYM
>>
>>48910475
it's not as crazy as it sounds. You've got a bunch of desperate little no name graphic designers desperate to land the biggest potential job of their lives. They know they've got crazy competition, they know every design will have its own merits and assuming everyone brings their best to the table it can only really be one of two things: either one person (they may not be them) is a a clear victor, or it's basically an even match between two or more people (that may not include them). They need a fail safe, a trump card to fall back on should all normal merits fail them. That's what this is, a wild card. The one thing no one else will have planned for, and that no one else can counter.
>>
>>48910475
brb posting on /biz
>>
>>48910475
Underrated.
>>
>>48915288
>Urist McArtdorf has been taken by a fey mood!
>>
>>48914668
Do you have that greentext story about an anon living in a fictional SJW civilization, where the anon had to curl up in a fetal position whenever females show up, so that any uncovered parts of his body did not 'rape-look' at any of them?
>>
>>48917292
I mean, to be fair this was back in the 80's when New York City actually was a massive shithole.
>>
>>48926097
link plz
>>
Fantasyical apocalypse is a best.
>>
>>48910379
The way you type awakens hatred in me.
>>
>>48910475
>drive yourself insane over years of research and Herculean effort
>produce something most people see as this
>>
File: Pepsi-logo-21.jpg (567KB, 6000x2240px) Image search: [Google]
Pepsi-logo-21.jpg
567KB, 6000x2240px
>>48935753
Funny thing is, it looks unbalanced. It's ugly. Unmemorable. I can't remember what it looks like and if you asked me to draw the Pepsi logo one day without reference I couldn't.

Whereas the old symbol.. yeah that shit is distinctive. It's clear. It's not beautiful admittedly. I'm not cumming at the sight of it, but it's fine.
>>
File: t. nietzsche.png (47KB, 2030x448px) Image search: [Google]
t. nietzsche.png
47KB, 2030x448px
>>48935593
>>
>>48910475
How would you even begin to fight Pepsi Man, knowing what you know from this PDF.
>>
>>48938673
I'd obtain a rubbish truck, drive slightly ahead of him and occasionally drop some trash out of the road in front of him.
In theory this should prevent him from refilling pepsi machines with the cool, crisp refreshing cans of pepsi cola.
>>
>>48910402
>>48910396

When you pay a marketer fire an analysis larger than the math can support, you get shit like that.
>>
>>48910475
This is some top tier marketing.
Not the result mind you, the .pdf, I am fascinated at this, and it could've worked as a funny commercial, specially the part about the gravitational pull of the logo.
>>
>>48942955
It gets a dozen replies literally every time it's posted, so it must be doing /something/ right.
>>
>>48943922
It's the gravitational pull. You can't ignore it or not reply too it as it draws the eye and your genetic predisposition to obey it means the second you see it you have to do SOMETHING.
>>
>>48943922
It's fake, but I love it anyway.
>>
>>48944154
It's not though. Thats a very real thing pepsi paid a little over a million dollars for. They even made a song for that particular piece. Worst of all thats probably just footnotes for execs to peer at while a much bigger much crazier presentation was taking place in the room.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 800x793px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 800x793px
>>48910379
>>
File: pepsi_energy.png (51KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepsi_energy.png
51KB, 550x500px
>>48943922
Is mankind ready for the unlimited power of Pepsi energy? Or will we be destroyed by our own hubris?
>>
>>48944962
I-i'm not sure i'm ready for all that cool and crisp refreshing taste, Famalamadingdong.
>>
>>48910379
>Is.....is that even a thing?

This is the plot of Pacman, a person changed beyond comprehension to become a living logo, comprehending "normal" people as either mere "dots" to be consumed in his vast and heavy jaw or aggressive ghosts who are constantly chasing him down.
>>
>>48944962
To be clear, the magnetic part is bull why are the pole orientations the same when the shape is inverted? but the bit about symmetry and preference for curves are accepted design principles. See: Contour bias.
>>
>>48945260
Man, I got excited before the rest of that sentence, I thought there was a movie called Pacman about a man obsessed with the symbol of Pacman.
>>
>>48919062
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1633
This?
>>
>>48946414
No, a real computer program. I think it was a neural net designed to learn how to play tetris by trial and error over the course of successive games.
As I recall, it was actually terrible at tetris; since just placing blocks gave you a point, and it never figured out how to clear lines, it would just speed-drop blocks to rack up as many points as possible in as short a time as possible, then crash the game just before it lost.
Less dramatic that just the one-sentence description makes it sound, really.
>>
>>48942955
carl sagan would have presented this beautifully as a "psa" add.
>>
>>48946414
No, it was a turn based game whose developers were trying to improve the AI using a neural net - what the AI was doing was, if it looked like it was begining to lose, would do a super weird multi-step process whereby it's starve one of its minor units of resources in a particular way, which would cause the unit's health to go negative and crash the game.

the developers patched this bug, at which point the AI found ANOTHER bug whereby, by adding a couple of weird steps to its original crashing processing, the minor unit would overcome the patch and again end up with negative health (without crashing the game), but the negative health unit was now functionally unkillable - which double fucked the developers because before this was found out and patched the AI put up against it could only survive by developing a process specifically to counter cheating methods, and indeed the only reason the developers noticed this second problem was becuse of a massive spike in games ending in draws as other AIs started developing their own invincible undead unit bug exploits independent of the original.
>>
>>48946572
There was the one about a halo server someone ran a 15 man AI script for. Dude left it running for a decade on a served cause he forgot it.
Came back to each file being over 5gb and to all the AI standing around. Their endgame goal was to win but in the vacuum he left them in the only way to win was not to play and thus no one died meaning no one lost until the match timer ran out.
Second the dude came in they didn't move but just watched him. Second he punched one they all opened fire and hunted solely him down.
Could be copy pasta but i liked the idea.
>>
>>48917895
Can we reassemble them?
>>
>>48910424
underrated post
>>
>>48947025
Technically speaking? Yes. Just not freely or accurately.
>>
>>48947094
Then that's why you don't see nanoshit.
>>
>>48947109
I'm a different anon than who you were arguing with. I was just saying we can do it which is a big step compared to not being able to not 2 decades ago.
I honestly don't expect to see viable anything along those lines within my lifetime though.
>>
File: 1467487331475.jpg (27KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1467487331475.jpg
27KB, 500x381px
>>48910475
I was actually thinking I understood it. Inanely over detailed look at past Pepsi logos and the science of ratios and A E S T H E T I C S. Ok.

Then I got to the part with dynamics of earth's magnetic field and it plunged into the deep end of total marketing bullshit.
>>
>>48910355

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qImHuiYnVQ0

Boy do I have a song for you op
>>
>>48945565

They actually made a ferrous iron model of the pepsi logo and stroked it with a magic to induce a magnetic field in it.
>>
File: flood.jpg (106KB, 650x435px) Image search: [Google]
flood.jpg
106KB, 650x435px
I used to do a lot of game mapping, and for a while got enamored with the idea of urban zones that you can't traverse the streets of because Reasons: flooding, poisonous but heavy atmosphere, whatever. It ended in a lot of prototypes that relied on moving between buildings with bridges or sick jumps. I liked it.

If I were to write a full setting, it'd definitely be something where the world isn't destroyed, you just can't survive for very long below about 50 feet off the ground because, I dunno, poison gas or biomass or magnets or whatever.

>>48910475
>that massive escalation between the page on color theory and then the literal gravitational pull of the pepsi logo

whoa
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.