[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, I'm trying to rework the combat system for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: why.png (64KB, 407x500px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
64KB, 407x500px
Hey /tg/,
I'm trying to rework the combat system for the RPG I'm running, but I'm struggling to add variety. My players are kind of unimaginative and don't often come up with melee attacks besides 'I hit them with my (weapon)', or the occasional 'I hit them in the (body part) with my (weapon)', so I want to come up with a list of more interesting combat attacks that could be reasonably performed by someone proficient with a weapon but not possessing any other special abilities. What I have so far is:

Called shot: Does 1/4 damage, cripples the chosen limb.
Merciful blow: Harder to hit, can't reduce the enemy below 1 HP.
Recklessness: Perform two attacks at a severely reduced chance to hit, but be unable to parry or block the next attack they take.
Disarm: No damage, but take a stat roll against the enemy to make them drop their weapon.
Tackle: No damage, but take a stat roll against the enemy to make you and them fall to the ground.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
>>
>>48878314
Have you considered something like cripple damage? Like if you damage a part of the body it may effect performance, or too much fluff?
>>
>>48878346
It is something I've thought about, but I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ass it would be to keep track of. It's definitely something I need to test out at some point though.
>>
>>48878314
>Players don't want to bother with combat
>"Hey /tg/, how can I make combat even less interesting!"
Consider this - if your players aren't interested in engagements, you should simply limit the amount of combat in your scenarios and switch focus to what's interesting to your players, not just making fighting more obtuse.
Because they won't use it anyway.
>>
>>48878399
They enjoy combat, they just aren't very imaginative. Giving them a list of premade ideas would help them make ideas of their own.
>>
>>48878314
Which system?
>>
>>48878456
A semi-homebrew based off a couple of different systems; the system isn't really relevant to what I'm asking which is why I didn't bother going into it in the OP.
>>
>>48878439
Reverse - giving them premade list of things to do will mean they will completely stop thinking outside given box.

Want to encourage them to be more pro-active?
Talk with them. It's that fucking simple.
Ask each of them how they see their character fighting, what they do, what references (if any) they have to fighting. I once found out a certain group of my players wasn't exactly reactive in combat, because most of them had ZERO reference and were just afraid to do something outside "I attack X" or "I aim at X's Y". This is especially prevailing in gunless games, where you can't just recall this or that action flick with two guys shooting at each other (believe it or not, but people don't exactly watch fantasy and not that there is a lot of it nowdays)
>>
>>48878480
>Implying you know my players, who I've been playing with for 6 years and who I've known for over a decade, better than I do

It's been shown to work in the past with spells; I wanted to make a system where they'd make their own spells, but they came up with boring stuff like fireball. I gave them a list of fairly interesting and unique spells, and now they have these absurd, interesting spells of their own design that I never could have dreamed of.
>>
>>48878516
>Playing with the same people for so many years
>Having basic-tier problems with their engagement into game
Riiiight...
>>
>>48878606
Having basic-tier problems with their engagement to THIS game.
It's my system and it's one I still need to tweak; previous RPGs we've played have been more on rails and have more clearly set out what they can and can't do; with this one I'm trying to go more for the freedom and hero/power fantasy that previous games lacked.
>>
>>48878647
Stop playing heart breaker then
>>
>>48878865
What?
>>
>>48878606
>>48878480

>I know what to do better than you do
>how dare you try to say otherwise, obviously I am the smartest

/v/ plz leave
>>
Feints are a fun concept

Also as another angle my group has done stuff where specific weapons have specific traits (clubs can knock people back on a good roll etc) that while a little gamey can spice up combat and give a stronger feel that weaponry isn't a strict hierarchy.
>>
>>48880241
Those are some solid ideas, cheers man
>>
>>48878314
I think Godlike or Wild Talent has a highly detailed damage location and injury systems. You could check that and turn your fight system into a Baki simulator
>>
>>48880287
no prob
>>
>>48880231
>/v/ plz leave
New-old meme, delivered to you by forces of summer
>>
>>48880562

>/tg/ was always a place where the cool kids are assholes because that's what cool kids do
>ur memes are stale

/v/ plz leave
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.