[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any tips from running this game? Also have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: ptx-logo.png (15KB, 260x124px) Image search: [Google]
ptx-logo.png
15KB, 260x124px
Does anyone have any tips from running this game?
Also have you ever used any of the supplements?
>>
File: pokemon.jpg (205KB, 950x965px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon.jpg
205KB, 950x965px
>>48827523
I'll give you a tip. Come closer.
>>
Yes.
Don't.
>>
>>48827523
PTU is crunchy as fuck.
Combat is slow, so use large encounters sparingly. Try to dedicate sessions to either plot progress/heavy RP OR exploration/catching/training OR large combat encounters. Trying to be prepared for all at every time makes it extremely taxing on preparation duty.

Let players make a list of pokemon they like. The game makes it possible to compete with traditionally weaker mons due to a lot og options and lesser impact of base stats.

Try to keep up a sense of specialness in legendarys, shinies and starters or pokemon with heavy RP incested. Use the first two sparingly. Try to get teams together that support a signature mon which takes the RP focus, while the remaining team is more supporting cast with occasional moments of greatness.

Don't try to do to many things. Try to keep campaign themes focused.

I hope this helps
>>
>>48829631
what would you say to occasionally giving them type-shifted mons?
>>
>>48830979
It's fine i guess, and also depends on campaign themes. If the setting allows for typeshifts easily it's cool if everyone gets one or two. If it's more vanilla pokemon i'd keep it at one or two per campaign as a larger endeavour.

Though really, it's a lot about personal preference. It's hard to really break the game due to the fact that typeshifts just exchange weaknesses rather than losing them.

Supplements are cool in my opinion. Game of throhs adds a lot in terms of Weaponized trainer combat and some elements are usefull in modern settings as well.

As long as they don't disturb any major campaign tone use as much as you like, but you might consider to cut out parts if they don't feel right.

Also: don't think of my advice tooo much, while i GM for a few years now it's my first time running PTU and we're like 5 sessions in.

Campaign setting is rather strange and contradicts a lot of advice i gave above, which might cut me in the foot later, which is why i gave the advice to keep it focused in the first place.
>>
>>48827523
Don't. Use that janky-spanglish one, Pokerole Project. If you can get past the form over function design of the book, their poor choice of putting hard and fast rules in "trainer tip" boxes, and spend a bit of time re-reading the rules until they make sense, it's alright.
>>
>>48827523
This game is an absolute chore to run. It is way to crunchy and tries to just 1:1 run the video game on tabletop while adding grid based combat and multicharacter battles. As a previous PTU GM check out Pokerole if you want to run a straight game-style campaign it looks way simpler.

That being said the fluff in the supplements is really cool. I ran a modified version of the cyberpunk Heizhou game from the scifi splat with some Legendaries as cosmic horror stuff from the Legendaries splat. Cool game with great players, but I'd never do it again
>>
>>48830979
It can also be said that with S&M, being a thing you can easily have a reason for type-shifted.
>>
File: Score One.jpg (14KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Score One.jpg
14KB, 240x240px
>>48828550
>>
Good luck. The devs have no clue what they're doing with the system. Currently they're on a crusade to nerf trainer combat classes for being too powerful, despite the fact that Pokemon support becomes unstoppable past a certain level.
They're also probably already in the thread.
>>
This is now a Pokerole Project thread.

Have you been in a game? Read it? Even heard of it? Tell me, /tg/.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.