[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZY D_1iFw7Q Are you a Role

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZYD_1iFw7Q

Are you a Role-Player or a Game Player?
>>
I'm the sort of person who hates false dichotomies and unnecessary categories.
>>
I'm the sort of person who agrees with >>48817448.
>>
File: 4451915198164.gif (673KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
4451915198164.gif
673KB, 400x400px
>>48817448
>>
>>48817371

Jesus christ the intro to that video is so fucking obnoxious I don't want to watch any more of it.
>>
I made it like 3 seconds into that video. I guess I would say I prefer the gamey aspects of RPGs to the theater club stuff, but since I don't really know what that means this faggot is grouping me in with I'll side with >>48817448
>>
>>48817767
According to him, it means you hate characterization and just want to kill things and level up MMO style. It's that of being 100% roleplayer and hating rules.
>>
File: 5154087200_f1a64f6258.jpg (34KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
5154087200_f1a64f6258.jpg
34KB, 250x235px
>>48817448
>I am unique and do not easily fit in to one of your catagories.
>>
>>48817858

Actually, I'd argue I'm far from unique, which is why the categories are pointless. Most people who are into RPG's want a bit of both, so trying to divide the community down the middle is meaningless.
>>
>>48817858
One of interpretation he said is that. Another is that some random guy on youtube isn't particularly great as classifying all people who play RPGs
>>
Is this the "there are literally BILLIONS of planets" guy who was getting spammed w month back
>>
Im a really fucking tired gm that is fucking sick of people who have never run a game regurgitating shit they find on youtube spewed by any fuck with a microphone.
>>
>>48818185
This dude has been playing and GMing since the 1980s, and he created Within the Ring of Fire, a moderately successful game. He just has a bad habit of turning anything he doesn't like into a caricature and then ranting about it.
>>
>>48818360
>Guy made small niche product 30 years ago.
>Still relevant.
PICK ONE YOU FUCKING KEK
>>
>>48817371
Reminder that GNS theory is stupid bullshit.
>>
>>48818503
You also have to remember that Ron Edwards is the worst form of preaching theorist and his way is better compared to yours and you are less of a person for thinking differently.
>>
>>48818377
Within the Ring of Fire is only a few years old. He was saying the guy has been roleplaying and GMing for over 30 years.
>>
>>48818727
He's still an old curmudgeon who will hopefully die in the next decade.
>>
>>48818786
What's wrong with him being old? Plenty of old people kick ass.
>>
>>48817371
Closed it the moment he started yelling like a retard. He tends to do that a lot it seems. I liked his Hexblade video tho.
>>
>>48818824
>Plenty of old people kick ass.
Sadly this one does not.
>>
>>48818827
He thinks he's a pro wrestler, but lacks the charisma.
>>48818840
I was >>48818360 and I agree his videos are almost universally awful, but I still maintain that WTROF is a good system. I'd play it (I've played in one campaign of it, sharing someone else's book) if the physical book didn't only come in like $50 hardback.
>>
>>48817371
RIP headphone users.
>>
File: 1464357223426.jpg (17KB, 230x164px) Image search: [Google]
1464357223426.jpg
17KB, 230x164px
>>48817448
This

They're called role playing games, if you play them then you're both, by definition
>>
>>48823195
>bumping this thread

you shameful nigga
>>
>>48817448
I agree.

A friend of mine changed his GM and attitude in game dramatically after listening to woodwwad. He already shared some opinions but he became the biggest grognard I've ever met, obsessed with perfecting roleplay and making a superstar squadron of roleplayers.

His nickname in town is "shakespeare in the park" given his theatrics. He is a good DM, but as a player I refuse to DM for him as he is very disruptive and obnoxious. Intentionally not using all resources at character creation because he doesn't want to powergame, he wants to differentiate between the other players, and will intentionally cripple his character with numerous unnecessary flaws such as an addiction to positive energy (sounds cool until he heals himself instead of the dying fighter) rank cowardice in every character no matter the concept, and constantly haranguing others as meta-gamers and roll-players.

He's gotten better, but its given me a steep dislike of this woodwwad as I associate his video's with my friends transformation.

Set expectations at the beginning of the campaign to make sure everyone will have fun, and then have fun. Stop dividing people into groups, stop saying those people are wrong if they disagree with you.

Acknowledge their are multiple perspectives and that yours is one of them and move on. It makes it difficult to have an adult conversation when you talk down to people for saying "I enjoy this" or (as my friend does) rank them into scales or tiers based on roleplaying ability.

When did it stop being about the fun?
>>
File: 1469257100268.jpg (145KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
1469257100268.jpg
145KB, 1111x597px
>>48823317
>the rush you get from sending a shit thread back to page 1 to gather more replies

Nothing compares
>>
Is it just me or is he goddamn annoying af?
>>
>>48817858
>Are you green or are you blue?
>Neither? Psh... Stop being a special snowflake and choose
>>
I'm a role player who doesn't take anything seriously.
>>
>>48817371
Whatever I am I am glad I don't look like that dillweed
>>
>>48824386
It isn't just you.
>>
>>48817858
Excellent straw man, Anon
>>
>>48817371
>Open video
>YOOOKrzzzz ARRRR PEEEE GEEE SUPAHSTAAAH-
>Close video

Don't know what this video is about, but I will go on a limp that it is not anything useful or informative for my Sunday night games.
>>
>>48825584
Basically, imagine a guy who actually has some really good ideas but also shits all over everything he doesn't personally like as BADWRONGFUN. Now, turn both traits up to eleven and add in a YouTube viewerbase who thinks he can do no wrong and a propensity to yell like a wannabe pro wrestler.
>>
>>48817448
The two are generally at opposite ends, you can typically file people in one group or the other.
>>
>>48826523
They're ends of a spectrum, though, and generally the complaint is about which one people tend to emphasize when the two come into conflict.
>>
>>48827037
That again is generally observable, they can do both but they will prioritize one over the other even subconciously.
>>
Insightful guy.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.