[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking to include a smaller chess challenge as part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: puzzle-1.png (21KB, 218x251px) Image search: [Google]
puzzle-1.png
21KB, 218x251px
I'm looking to include a smaller chess challenge as part of a roleplaying adventure, that is to be played with real pieces.

In order to have this as a fun gimmick and not a complete speedbump for those not interested in chess, I was thinking of not playing an entire game but instead starting out in the middle of one.

What are some good, beginner, chess puzzles that can still be played out?

The DM will play vs one player, but all other players can help out.
>>
>>48790322
For those not interested in chess this is not helping.
Also assuming everyone even knows the rules in the first place is kind of wild guess in this day and age...
>>
>>48790335
What's a good short board game that can be played as an alternative?
>>
>>48790322
Search for "Mate in X" where X is 2-5.

Some starters, mate in 3: http://www.wtharvey.com/m8n3.html
>>
>>48790322

I'd only do that if players already have an interest in 1v1 boardgames like chess.
Furthermore I think chess isn't a game that is well played as a group. Either its very long discussions or just one player that decides everything in the end.

One thing that might work if you have a chess clock you could do a 5 min speed chess match vs 1 willing player. If you are both roughly the same strength its short and fun to watch for the other players.
>>
>>48790353

My group has played poker with in game money. Personally I don't like it very much but it can be fun if you involve the characters a bit.
>>
>>48790396
It's a puzzle for an adventure location so it needs to be something that can be played very quickly.

>>48790380
Yeah, speed chess sounds like what's probably the best alternative if people are up for chess.

I could probably just have a small chess game at hand, and ask if the players want to actually play. If no one wants to they can just roll a die roll for it.
>>
>>48790450

A die roll to solve a riddle is very boring in my opinion.
Why not design a very easy riddle. (For example something like in the movie 5th Element at the end in the pyramid where they have to use fire, water etc at each location)

Even though thr players can figure it out easily it still creates a sense of accomplishment.
>>
Have a game of chess where when a piece attempts to capture another triggers another game of chess within that square, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>48790353
No such thing, minigames are only good for vidya and even that is not always the case.
PC playing a board game should be "roll higher of Int/Wis + any relevant proficiency you might have", not player moving the pieces vs GM.
>>
>>48790537
Or you know, you don't want to play a game where everything is decided by rolling dice.
>>
>>48790537
Wtf are you on about you shitsucker. Do you also just want to encounter a problem like convincing an NPC to take your side by "just roll for diplomacy"? Why even play.
>>
>>48790322
Bad idea if none of your players give a fuck about chess. What might be a bit better is a boardgame that's so, so close to an optimal solution!...provided one piece is a square off. The idea here is to force the players to hem and haw, then cheat like motherfuckers to win the challenge.
>>
>>48790684
Would you make players bench-press whenever PC needs to do any strength related task? Same thing. Abilities of the PC should not be tied to abilities of the player. Unless you're LARPing.
>>
>>48790728
That's such a style based thing though. You can't just say that "no. if you let something be up to the skill of the player you are badwrongfun"
>>
>>48790322
It can work, if your players are up for it. Ask them.

What's the context of the chess puzzle? Has anyone encountered it before? If it's easy, why hasn't anyone else solved it? Those last two are very important for gatekeeper-type puzzles.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.