[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say I want to run an RPG where magic exists but is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Transparent_Evil_Wizard.png (162KB, 511x556px) Image search: [Google]
Transparent_Evil_Wizard.png
162KB, 511x556px
Let's say I want to run an RPG where magic exists but is a strange, mystical force restricted to NPCs, that players have to overcome with wit and steel. Something pulpy but a little less "fantasy Vietnam" than old school D&D, and more "heroic fantasy."

What system would you recommend?
>>
Savage Worlds.
>>
Pretty sure barbarians of Lemuria is tooled for this. There is a game called something like legends of the six serpents that also followed these kind of themes, not sure how hard it is to find copy tho.
>>
>>48739030
Oh, cool. I actually own that and haven't ever used it.
>>48739059
>Barbarians of Lemuria
How specifically tooled to that one setting is it, and how hard would it be to set it elsewhere?
>something like legends of the six serpents
Is this it?
>>
>>48739098

>ask for a specific type of setting
>not interested in using the setting

great thread
>>
>>48739680
>Lemuria is the only conceivable setting where "magic exists but is a strange, mystical force restricted to NPCs, that players have to overcome with wit and steel."
Do you seriously not realize how stupid that is?
>>
>>48739011
So you mean like LotR?
>>
>>48741675
More like Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, or maybe Conan. Less "high fantasy" and more "high adventure in a weird-ass horror land."
>>
>>48741700
LotR does have very little magic...
>>
>>48741713
>LotR does have very little magic...
Okay. And? High fantasy doesn't mean high magic. It means epic in scope with important characters like kings and such playing major roles. Which fits LotR perfectly, and isn't what I want.

Before you point out that Conan became a king, that's true, but the Conan stories aren't epic tales of kingdoms going to war and the fate of the world, spanning multiple books.
>>
>>48741794
>Before you point out that Conan became a king, that's true
Yeah, but only after coming into his mid-life crisis.
>>
>>48741794
The story itself may have been about kings and kingdoms, but your campaign need not.
>>
Maybe homebrew something based on the world of SaGa Frontier 2. One of the game's protagonists lacks any propensity to use magic, and becomes an outcast as a result. He later discovers that steel can basically nullify magic. By decking himself out in steel armor and using a steel sword, he becomes a formidable warrior and conquers most of the world.

The in-game explanation for magic is that it has to be channeled through natural elements, like wood or stone. So people base equipment materials around these. e.g. Being equipped with a wooden sword means you can channel wood-aligned spells. Not having any wooden tools on hands prevents you from being able to use this kind of magic at all. Going up against an opponent who's wearing steel armor would mean your spells can't do shit to him. Attempting to wear steel armor yourself would handicap or outright cancel your ability to cast spells in the first place.

It's an interesting balance. As a result of this character introducing steel to the world, more people began to abandon the concept of magic altogether and pursued steel-based weapons and armor.
>>
>>48739011
GURPS, if only because it's an excuse to run a game set in the Madlands.

I mean, it's probably a good system for this in general if you want something crunchier than Savage Worlds, but yeah, mostly Madlands.
>>
>>48740341

no but he waa literally asking for a setting and then when a recommendation comes along OP goes "hurrr can it be like a different setting or something?"
>>
>>48739011
>Let's say I want to run an RPG where magic exists but is a strange, mystical force restricted to NPCs, that players have to overcome with wit and steel. Something pulpy but a little less "fantasy Vietnam" than old school D&D, and more "heroic fantasy."
Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
>>48743114
>no but he waa literally asking for a setting
If you read the OP closely, you'll notice that he wrote "system", not "setting".
>>
>>48743114
>>48739680
>>48743114

/v/ plz leave
>>
>>48743114
The word "setting" appeared nowhere in the original post. OP was asking for a SYSTEM that would do that well.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.