[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start a miniature wargaming scene in my area, starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: main_medieval.jpg (155KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
main_medieval.jpg
155KB, 800x600px
I want to start a miniature wargaming scene in my area, starting with my friends and me.

What are some good options? None of us are huge fans of the 40k lore, and a couple of my friends STRONGLY favor fantasy over sci-fi.

With those criteria, I know WarmaHordes and Malifaux are available. What else?

Also, how do we grow a scene? Just sit down in a game shop and start playing and hope enough other people become interested that the shop starts carrying it? If we do this, should we get the shop to order it for us (like when you ask for something they don't have and they say they can get it), to kind of foster goodwill so we didn't just drop in with shit we clearly bought elsewhere and take up their space?

Are there any other strategies or suggestions? I'd really like to get a thriving community here.

Also, would picking a skirmish level game help keep prices down?
>>
>>48737665
Do you have a LGS? If so, they likely already have a wargaming scene which you can tap into. If they do, you can boost appeal by helping the owner set up a tournament in one of the game types and spreading it around on Facebook. If you have a LGS and there isn't a wargaming scene start a Facebook group for wargaming in your town, and then ask the owner to put people who buy wargaming miniatures from him to direct them to your group.

IF you do not have a LGS you're going to face an uphill battle. There'll be a local community center somewhere which will allow you to rent a room on weekends, get some trestles and you and your friends go down for a few weekends, see how you like it. If it's good, you can reach out over community noticeboards and the internet to find new players and induct them into your group. At some point you might want to broach monthly membership (something like $5.00) to help cover the cost of the hall, or selling cans of drink from an esky, but your mileage may vary.
>>
>>48737665
>Also, would picking a skirmish level game help keep prices down?
Hahaha... The fewer the models you need, the more expensive each model is.
>>
>>48737665
I believe that Infinity and Dust are more skirmishy-type wargames.

Battletech is definitely a skirmish.

You grow a scene by playing the game, having a good time, and when people wanna join in you let them join.

Shops tend to be pretty nice about ordering stuff so yeah I'd ask them about it. Usually it's just good business for them to get people in the door having a good time because that shit is infectious when other people come in to just shop around.

Also
>>48737924
Is true.

From my experience the most "bang for your buck" in terms of wargames is Battletech. The starter box is literally everything you could ever want for a good and long fucking time before you even think about getting more shit.
>>
Several wargames have some sort of volunteer program that gives organizers free shit to hand out and gives guidelines for running events. I'd look to try to get involved with one of those.

Also I think having a demo night would be a solid idea. The LGS owner should be on board if you run it by them, since if you are successful they get sales.
>>
>>48737665

I have been enjoying Frostgrave. Pretty generic fantasy with a low as hell price of entry, with lots of room for expansion if you enjoy it.
>>
>>48739280

Just make sure either you or your LGS has a lot of terrain.
>>
Malifaux it's lots of fun. The secret schemes mechanics makes game interesting, the card mechanic makes things more strategic and gives you some control. Models are nice, and if you like fantasy you could have a look at the upcoming Neverborn models.
Also, they have a Henchman problem that will reward you with free models and stuff if you manage to grow a community :)
>>
Henchman *program
>>
>>48737912
>a local community center somewhere which will allow you to rent a room on weekends

25-50$ an hour

>>48737665
Just empty out your garage, set up some tables, and be OK with strangers showing up at odd hours.
>>
File: excited blob.png (329KB, 372x570px) Image search: [Google]
excited blob.png
329KB, 372x570px
>>48740682
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.