[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question, what were the combat rules for 2nd ed aD&D? I get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Question, what were the combat rules for 2nd ed aD&D? I get thac0 and AC, but did they have initiative back then? Or was it a bloody free for all?
>>
>>48720167
It wasn't very coherent at first, but by 2nd Ed you rolled a d10 and then who went first was modified by the type of action you were doing.
Spells, especially potent ones, tended to go last and if the caster was hit then they basically immediately lost the spell in addition to usually being fucked up pretty bad thanks to how frail everyone was back then.
>>
There are PDFs of the 2e PHB floating around, grab it and give it a read.
>>
>>48720187
GASP you dare suggest someone READ?!??!!?
>>
>>48720167
Pretty much this >>48720181. You rolled a 1d10 and add the value all weapons add. Which was lower for daggers and higher for 2handers for example. Also most of the high level spells tend to have more than one turn to cast.
>>
>>48720167
What, do you mean all the optional stuff? Because if so you're going to be here awhile. But yeah, basically above is correct. There's all kinds of weird speeds shit, facing rules for shields, all kinds of weird crap. Depends on how much optional stuff you want to use.
>>
>>48720368
Why do you think I was asking for an explanation you unbelievable bellend?
>>
>>48721008
fuck off you insufferable goddamn retard, the reason why nobody likes you is that you are a lazy stupid piece of shit
>>
>>48721068
Because, maybe people have interesting anecdotes or have a unified understanding of all of the optional rules that TSR wrote for the system?

This isn't too difficult for you to understand I hope.
>>
>>48721149
I like how lazy stupid assholes always spend a ton more time making excuses for being a lazy stupid asshole than it would have taken them to just read the fucking book and reread parts that they didn't understand the first time
>>
>>48720714
Yeah! Optional stuff would be interesting to hear about. I'm always hearing stories of how people have come to prefer aD&D combat over any other edition, and how it's more free-flowing, fun, etc.

>>48720505
So basically, Wizardry? Turn order was dictated by actions taken? That's kind of interesting.
>>
>>48721166
You seem mad.
>>
>>48721166
Naw, I think the question is fairly harmless. Are you bitter because no one will play D&D with you?
>>
>>48721185
>>48721214
>case in point, lazy stupid asshole trolling instead of reading the phb
>>
>>48721175
AD&D actually had three different initiative systems, with scaling complexity. Nothing too fancy really, but some of the initiative systems called for players to resolve their actions as a team instead of as an individual unit, which lead to some pretty entertaining combat encounters.
>>
>>48720505
>>48721175
Never played wizardry so it's not much use using it as a point of where reference. It was probably based off it though.

The fact initiative was completely random every round, along with spells had casting time made a massive difference to gameplay.

Notably Caster supremacy wasn't as massive as it was in later Edition. Casting was time-consuming and left you exposed. The magic user really did need a martial to back up him up or simply wouldn't live long enough to cast a spell.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.