[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Monster takes on the traits of things it eats >Starts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

>Monster takes on the traits of things it eats
>Starts off devouring animals and getting bigger and stronger
>Eventually moves on to other monsters, gaining supernatural abilities
>Finally it begins to hunt Humans, Elves, and other sapient species
>Gains greater intelligence, but as it consumes others it begins to grow a conscience
>One day the balance tips
>Suddenly, the creature is more human than monster
>Whether from the heroes it's eaten or the innocent bystanders, it decides to stop
>It wants to make amends

When would be the best time for the PCs to encounter this monster? I'm thinking there are two main points that they could intervene; before it gains sapience, or long after.

The former presents it as a near unstoppable beast, constantly gaining new abilities and strength while the PCs try to halt its rampage, right up until it stops and tries to talk with them. They're probably going to be mighty pissed at this thing, assuming it's eaten someone they like, and will likely try to kill it anyway.

The latter scenario would have the rampage in the past, in a way that doesn't provoke the PCs. Their first impression of the creature would be a civil one that would prefer to talk. However, the fact remains that it had to kill a lot of people to get that way.

How would you run this monster past your party?
>>
>>48716714
It depends on how long after and how far away it was until it gained sapience.

Big difference in perception if it became sapient yesterday and a hundred years ago.
>>
>>48716714
definetely before.

imagine your party having to decide whether or not to fight this thing after it says some shit basically about being aware of itself. do you let it live its own life or do you kill it as a safety precaution? i, robot level shit
>>
>>48716714

At this point, it might understand that it's either hated or unwanted in this plane, and would either decide to exile itself to another dimension or a secret, secluded location for penance so that it can meditate on how it can possibly make amends. Actually, this can be a possibility suggested by the PCs. If your setting is conducive to planar travel (or other means of just moving it someplace else where the natives won't mind it) then it's a good solution.

It would probably take on pacifism first thing, surviving only on what is necessary, so that it can have an "I think, therefore I am" kind of philosophical rebuild in its seclusion in order to build a better system of philosophical guidance to guide its actions further. It would also probably take on some rigid and more secular guiding laws (of men, elves, dwarves...) in order to help guide its actions in the interim, so that it doesn't run into conflict with other beings.

After decades or even centuries, but after a long time, it may have found a function or purpose to guide its actions and possibly take on the role of shepherd, gardener, advisor, or protector of this plane, and move against planar threats when it can to ensure a better future.
>>
I've read that web comic too, OP.
>>
>>48716714
I like this idea of reverse barbarification.
If you make the party encounter this creature before it gains sapience, he'll be just another boss with many/strange powers, another Dire Bear with a reskin. It might be even a great encounter if you operate mechanics well and make him fight like a thinking being, but it won't be anything more than a fight. Your players will either kill it or retreat to kill it the next time.

If you want an actual development, you'll want to do it way after it gains sapience. Make him a lone man/creature, that exiled himself from all society and most of life itself. Living in a desert, a snowy mountain or even a thick forest, his presence itself being enough to make his surroundings silent and lifeless. Other creatures might feel an instinctive fear or discomfort when near him. He lives alone, possibly not eating at all if he got ways of living from the sun and soil from powers, as a penitence for his sins and always trying to imagine a way of righting his wrongs.

If you want a higher level situation or wants to make artifacts, let him stumble upon the knowledge of a way of obtaining the spell/power Genesis. With that, he could create a small, permanent plane of his own, and start creating/propagating life by releasing small bits of the powers he obtained through the times. He might combine many powers to generate a source, from which he can slowly grow new life without losing powers permanently.

That last route creates a new kind of character. A man(?) that no longer hates its past, but instead found a way of using what he so despised about himself to create a new beginning. The possibilities are infinite with that kind of character, and he doesn't even need to be a villain anymore.

Those are my ideas. Also, Prototype is great.
>>
File: hxh meruem komugi.jpg (387KB, 756x900px) Image search: [Google]
hxh meruem komugi.jpg
387KB, 756x900px
I like the sound of it. Basically The Thing if it accidentally assimilated morality.
>>
>>48717575
>a mindless beast develops sentience, and, eventually, sapience
>it becomes intelligent
>mournful of past actions it had made against others
>it seculdes itself from society
>and becomes a god of a universe it created
holy shit, I want to play this campaign. The players might live in the beast's universe and then go outside to his universe, or vice versa
>>
File: Khazix.jpg (243KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Khazix.jpg
243KB, 1215x717px
the game is shit but you gotta admit some of the character concepts are ok.
>>
>>48717840
It's the basis of OP's picrelated character, just more stretched on time.

(If you haven't played Prototype, you play as all-consuming TheThing-like monster called Alex Mercer. You aren't actually Alex, you are the monster that took his form as the default. You also learn that Alex was a total sociopathic shithead and the monster had more morality than him nearly right off the bat - it started with caring for his sister, at least.)
>>
>>48716714
>Beast becomes kind and thoughtful by eating kind and thoughtful people
>If it eats anything but kind and thoughtful people at that point it evolves back to something else
Maybe it can go vegetarian or something.
>>
File: Vol-7cover.jpg (661KB, 1508x2220px) Image search: [Google]
Vol-7cover.jpg
661KB, 1508x2220px
Don't do it OP
It never works out
>>
>>48720074
But he had the mind of a human ever since 'birth'.
>>
>>48719744
That and it actively started trying to fix the clusterfuck that Alex created about a quarter of the way into the game. Kinda funny how the living bio-weapon was more human than the actual humans (Alex, Blackwatch, and the guys in charge)
>>
>>48716714
There's nothing creepier than realizing too late that an opponent is much, much smarter than it appears.
How about this, OP?
In order to get around the horror of eating people, the creature leases itself out to a kingdom. When the king or one of his servants believes they are dealing with a dangerous set of criminals rather than a well-meaning adventuring party, they send this party to hunt a 'terrible beast', and feed the evil party to the hunter after feeding the party bad intel.
Either that or the guy works as a cremating undertaker for an isolated monestary or group he made arrangements with and they let him eat the flesh while he produces the rest in the urn as regular.
It'll be creepy for sure.
>>
File: Evolva GOG pic.jpg (201KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
Evolva GOG pic.jpg
201KB, 1600x740px
>>48716714
>It wants to make amends
Have it go and hunt monstrosities that are worse than its former self if it wants to make amends.

Then have it split into four badasses and go through dimensions to other worlds and save them from abominable invaders from beyond.
>>
>>48716714
Important thing that will introduce a lot of variation: does it consider hiding its identity?
I.e.
>yes I am that big monster but now I'm good pls forgive me
or
>I am a new thing dedicated to doing good pls accept me

Or hell, even
>Yes I was that bad shit but then Bigheronamehere purged me of my former evil so now I do good in his name
>>
>>48724552
I'd go with.
>Yes, the monster that was eating everyone and everything was me, yet the more of your kin I ate the more I was aware of what I was doing until I gained a conscience. Now I feel bad about this and want to make amends for what I did.
>>
>>48724552
>>Yes I was that bad shit but then Bigheronamehere purged me of my former evil so now I do good in his name
From a certain point of view this may even be true.
>>
>>48716714
Man was the lance whip the most fun weapon he had.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.