[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Con RPG >Rules light >Pick an archetype >Skills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

>Con RPG
>Rules light
>Pick an archetype
>Skills are given specific die ranging from d4-d12
>Wizard might have strength of d4. If a ceiling drop trap occurs, a result of 8 is required to hold it up. Wizard obviously will never be able to hold it, but a fighter could.
>Pre game, your party is given a box of cardboard, leather, and various other scrap to make gear out of
>Not making anything gives you a -1 penalty
>Making something that simply works no more no less gives you a +0
>Making something good gives you a +1 to +2 bonus
>Can spend in game currency pre game to buy schematics for legendary gear. Which is simply just a scroll with a picture. Make the item in the picture as close as you can to get +3 or bonuses in multiple stats.
>Spellcasting is a gamble. 1-5 is a fizzle, 6-10 is a weak effect, 11-18 is normal, 19-20 has amazing effects. Can choose to keep rolling a d20 for cumulative amount. Going past 20 results in getting burned from over channeling. 35+ means you simply blow up or some sort of extremely bad effect happens.

Thoughts? This is something I'm planning for next year, and I've been getting good reception. Also while not playing, could teach chirrin who wander by crafty skills like saddle stitching and such. Show them how to make a bracer with a piece or two out of a cheap bag of scraps.

Not sure if there was a better place to post this or not.
>>
First and only bump for sagely advice
>>
I like that this RPG combines roleplaying with arts and crafts.
>>
>>48714070

Could be a fun arts and crafts style thing.

I think it'd be funner if you went the whole 9 yards though and just brought out a shitton of arts n' crafts materials and just went "in this game you start with no equipment other than what you can make! Build your equipment and lets see how well you fare!"

Then make a whole bunch of like weapon/equipment tags that offer different effects depending on what's made.
>>
>>48714960

I like to think that people into rpg's have some interest in making silly props to give them in game advantage. I know I'd personally go crazy with something like that, but I'm a bit more crafty than the average person. Still, I think all you'd need to do is given a push and some inspiration. Actually plan to make a part of the room the "smithy". Cardboard hammer and anvil, maybe some example pieces on some sort of pegs or hooks to give people ideas.

>>48714969

Certainly part of the some of the ideas I've been throwing around. I worry about balance but I'm incredibly free flow when I run events so I don't think it will be any sort of problem. I just don't want someone thinking "Why would I ever use a dagger when a sword is just that much better?". I've always been one for players doing what sounds fun to them. I won't punish you for trying to act like Alucard right out of castlevania with a whip and throwing daggers, or sliding down a staircase with your shield, or any of that crazy stuff. I love it when players do that, and I'd never punish them for doing something memorable.
>>
>>48714070
>Spellcasting is a gamble.
>1-5 is a fizzle, 6-10 is a weak effect, 11-18 is normal, 19-20 has amazing effects.
>Can choose to keep rolling a d20 for cumulative amount.
>Going past 20 results in getting burned from over channeling.
>35+ means you simply blow up or some sort of extremely bad effect happens.

Replaced with:
>Some items (books, staffs, pointy hats, etc.) may have a single spell attached.
>Using these spells requires a skill roll (d4-d12 with appropriate modifiers.)
Fizzle (1-5), Weak (6-8), Moderate (9-12), Strong (13-14), Amazing (15+)
>Each roll of the highest number on the die *requires* making a cumulative d4-d12 +modifiers roll.
>With 1 extra roll, Amazing is replaced with Burnout.
>With 2 extra rolls, Strong is replaced with Burnout and Amazing is replaced with Very Bad Stuff.
>With 3 or more extra rolls, Moderate is replaced with Burnout, Strong is replaced with Very Bad Stuff, and Amazing works but also causes Burnout.
>>
>>48717269
>highest number on the die
*or second highest number on the die if the spell comes from a +3 item
>>
>>48717269
that sounds not great. I think the original idea was more akin to a game of blackjack, where the caster can gamble by rolling the D20 more, but with increasing risk of backfire. I personally think it would work better with a d12 and a higher requirement, like 1-11 nothing, 12-15 minimal, 15-19 normal, 20-21 greater, and 22 and over is blowout. This makes multiple rolls more favourable, and encourages betting towards a blowout.

Hell, you could even do it with cards and encourage card counting
>>
>>48714070
This sounds fun but I can't craft and cardboard gives me a bad feeling, like nails on a chalkboard
>>
File: 123543123420.jpg (12KB, 235x287px) Image search: [Google]
123543123420.jpg
12KB, 235x287px
>>48718855
>cardboard gives me a bad feeling, like nails on a chalkboard
>>
I think how I'd do spellcasting in this game OP is:

The caster can write a spell (within reason, you give it a difficulty level and certain spells are simply impossible) and you give a bonus depending on a few things:

1) The age of the spell. The older the more powerful (obviously). If you hand in a beautiful white paper that's a penalty. If you hand in a grimier one that's a +0. If you hand in a coffe stained and dried parchment then congrats that's a +2!
2) Good spelling and grammar. The spells description should be impeccable. Any spell whose magic words are improperly spelled will naturally result in an improper arcane casting.
3) Good penmanship. Each letter should likewise be legible. If any letter is difficult to read it'll mean you'll have trouble announcing it thus you'll suffer a penalty to casting it.
>>
>>48714070
so savage worlds with origami and leathercraft?
I like your magic system
>>
Why make all the cool stuff with the crafting gear only?

Make spells drawings on construction paper in a rough book. Let players draw the spell- must include lots of colors and stuff from around the table- from your own paper book. This requires you to use certain colors of paper for spells- red for fireballs, blue for ice and so on. If you run out of a color you'll have to come up with a new spell, further scraping your book.

Also the GM puts a sticker or stamp on 'used' spells, which cannot be reused in new spell projects- you'll have to cut around it. Wizards will soon be destroying their spell books to scrap together even the tiniest yellow lightning bolt or red cone of flames.
>>
I like it, OP
>>
Dumb as shit. No one wants to do arts and crafts we want to get to the actual fucking game. The whole point of having a character with stats is because your real world skills shouldn't give the character a bonus.
>>
File: the_fonz.jpg (89KB, 1441x1800px) Image search: [Google]
the_fonz.jpg
89KB, 1441x1800px
>>48725109
This is more like a one-shot LARP than a tabletop though, so whatever.

OP, I like it too.
>>
How are you planning to merge the arts and crafts with the roleplaying? I understand how the finished crafts are used and how you can make something before the start, but what do you do when people have to craft their gauntlets mid-session? That's not done in a minute, especially if you are not that good at it and/or want to make something nice. Do you have a break, does the person just not participate while the game goes on, or what?
>>
>Thoughts?

1: what con? I''ve not been to any for a long time, but would take part in that.

2: be aware craft materials can cost a fair bit. Tools, even more so.

3: Caution, sharp edges. Work out your player demographics: is this open to adults-only, or kids? Adult supervision will be required in the latter case, especially with tools.

4: These sort of items can take time to make. Do you want to budget the amount of time making stuff, before an event? players may be turned off by the idea of spending 4 hours and missing Event X or Y. Possible solution being Bring Your Own kit, with the event pre-advertised before the day?

5: skilled crafting ability can disenfranchise players who are cack-handed. (you've all seen the 40K WIP threads with horribly painted models). You need to have at least some way for the naturally talentless not to be left feeling left out.

6: Patterns for some items should probably include instructions, and should also include prop items, rather than just wearables like OP's pic - simply because some objects are hellishly complex.

Other than that, It sounds fun.
>>
>>48714070
OP you should write the rules for this down refine some of the details test it and post it on 1D4chan I like the idea and if you are able to create a full set of rules for it I would love to use this for one of my game sessions
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.