[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help, niggas. I ended up becoming the DM of my town's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1470108534286.jpg (63KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1470108534286.jpg
63KB, 592x533px
I need help, niggas. I ended up becoming the DM of my town's first game of D&D game because reasons
The problem is, I've never played the game. I come here to ask you: what is the most balanced version of D&D, or the most beginner-friendly?
Any other tips are welcome.
>>
>>48681097
Fifth Edition.
>>
5th Edition. You can get all the PDFs for free in their general thread.
>>
>>48681138
Oh, shit; I'm sorry. I didn't knew there was a general. Making this thread was pointless, then.
Thanks for the answers; I'll redirect my ass to the general.
>>
File: 1468600898312.jpg (27KB, 303x303px)
1468600898312.jpg
27KB, 303x303px
>>48681097
D&D 5e, the newest version, is easily the most friendly to beginners. I was able to get a table of four normies with completed characters and an entire session of play done in a single evening.

As for tips for a first-time DM:
>Have a vague outline of a plot rather than a detailed story.
>You don't have to memorize the rules, but it helps to read the books cover-to-cover so you at least know where to find the rule you're looking for when you need to look it up.
>Don't be afraid to say no if someone wants to play or do something stupid.
>That being said, 5e is very improvisation-friendly. If a player wants to try something unusual, set a difficulty number (usually between 10 (easy) and 20 (very hard)), pick an ability score (and maybe one of that ability score's skills) and tell the player to roll it.
>Pay close attention to how much damage monsters do and what everyone's hit points are. There are some low challenge rating monsters that deal absurdly high damage, avoid throwing them at the party until higher levels.
>Tailor the game to the skills and abilities of the PCs so everyone gets to use more or less everything. If you have a rogue who can disarm traps and pick locks, throw a few traps and locked doors here and there (but not too many). If you have a mage who knows a lot about mystical forces and history, give him the opportunity to solve some minor mysteries and give him some hints his character would logically know.
>You don't have to build an entire world before the game begins. You can build the world as you go, deciding what's past that bridge or over that mountain range only when the party actually has to cross it.

Good luck and have fun!
>>
>>48681262
Damn, son. Thanks for the tips. Gotta start drawing some maps and shit.
>>
>>48681394
Don't be afraid to leave some blank spaces, and don't worry too much about realism when it comes to biomes or climate or whatever. Put simply, some places don't need to exist until the party finds them.
>>
>>48681409
Ok. I guess the wilderness will be mostly a blank space where ai can improvise some sidequests and shit. I'll draw some dungeon maps, tho. Thanks again, my man.
>>
>>48681478
You're welcome! Just remember that fun is the most important part of the game.
>>
>>48681478
Oh, one more thing -- if you make your rolls in secret, the players don't need to know that the ogre just critted the wizard for 18 damage, killing him instantly. You actually rolled a 2 and the ogre missed entirely, if you catch my drift.
>>
>>48681097
5E
>>
>>48681536
>encouraging a new gm to fudge rolls
Don't do it op. Roll in the open like a man and never fudge. Don't give in to the dark path.

There will be pain. There will be unexpected turns. But you will grow into a better gm for it.
>>
>>48681097
>my town's first game of D&D

Have you gone to the town hall to ensure this event is chronicles in the town's records?
>>
>>48683400
Probably not the best idea with the players he will likely have. He wants them to have fun. He can kill them some other time
>>
For me story is more important than the roll sometimes. Just be sure to not railroad, or if you do railroad them don't let them be able to figure it out
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.