[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some creative ideas for a starship pilot in a sci-fi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 13

File: Current Mood.jpg (132KB, 1074x716px) Image search: [Google]
Current Mood.jpg
132KB, 1074x716px
What are some creative ideas for a starship pilot in a sci-fi game? He's the party's busdriver, of course.
>>
File: 1_safari-ship-48.jpg (245KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1_safari-ship-48.jpg
245KB, 1280x720px
>>48672417
>Washed up ex-navy pilot who got thrown out for some reason or other
>thrill-junkie flying-ace wannabe
>flight school dropout who decided to see the universe than stay on the family farm

Not particularly unique, but there's only so far you can go before you start adding role-nonspecific character traits
>>
>>48672486
*rather than stay on the family farm
>>
File: total-recall-31.jpg (219KB, 1600x1049px) Image search: [Google]
total-recall-31.jpg
219KB, 1600x1049px
>>48672417
>"Hope you enjoyed the ride."
>>
File: Robot goal.gif (2MB, 248x291px)
Robot goal.gif
2MB, 248x291px
>>48672417
A robot out to prove he's superior to all auto-pilot computers in the galaxy. No matter the cost.
>>
>>48672543
Id play with him
>>
>>48672543
MACHINEHEAD!
>>
File: HK-47.png (157KB, 276x368px) Image search: [Google]
HK-47.png
157KB, 276x368px
>>48672486
>>48672502
My problem is, there are two characters who are already ex-navy (played by actual ex-navy, no less) and a character who already left the family farm on the space equivalent to Kansas.
>>48672542
>>48672543
>>48672581
>>48672584
Huh. A robot might be cool. Could make him like HK-47, with all the prefixes like
>>
>>48672584
PLATINUM NITRO
>>
File: 1432681503270.gif (3MB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1432681503270.gif
3MB, 180x200px
I've always been fond of the WWI era trope of pilots being upper-class aces with fancy accents who saw enemy pilots as foes to be respected instead of just 'the enemy'. You know, the sort of thing that led to the Red Baron being honored by people on the other side of the war.

The sci-fi equivalent could be someone fresh out of a piloting academy who was raised to have old-school ideals of chivalry and respect towards the pilots of other vessels, or a vetereran who's had enough clashes with a recurring rival to have developed mutual camaraderie between eachother.
>>
>>48672417
Imperial flight school graduate. IFS is like Cobra Kai. He's skilled, vicious, cocky and has mean blonde spikes haircut.
>>
Bump.
>>
File: 1457319567391.jpg (99KB, 623x850px) Image search: [Google]
1457319567391.jpg
99KB, 623x850px
>>48672417

Anyone have that screen cap of the android ship pilot who was in love with her captain?
>>
An antimatter container failed and you had to leave your cargo behind. It exploded with the power of thousands of nuclear bombs.
>>
Born in Venus's cloud cities.
>>
>>48675970

> It exploded with the power of thousands of nuclear bombs.

"Destroying many, many planets. Including two gangster planets and a cowboy world!'
>>
>>48672594
A former spaceship AI who was fitted into a droid after the ship had to be scrapped, and never fully adjusted to the new body.
>>
>>48672417

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gSbPg33Qo
>>
>>48676017
You'd think that at some point, an organized crime group would just get too big and collapse in on itself, unless it's some sort of feudalist gangster planet?

...I would play in that setting
>>
>>48672417
Our pilot is pretty much a less attractive Sweet JP taken straight from the first race in Redline: Mafia connections and a love for older craft included.
>>
>>48672594
Okay, how about an ex-starship racer who got done for using reaction-enhancing drugs and is a pilot to pay the bills?
>>
>>48676065
>You'd think that at some point, an organized crime group would just get too big and collapse in on itself

Well the GFC didn't shut down the banks...

>>48672417
My current game the pilot is an old woman who was part of early spaceflight programs still doing it because it's the only life she knows. The fact the ship is as old a hunk of junk as she is is nice. None of these new pilots know how to fly anyway, its just avionics doing it for them. She's ex-military too, went AWOL after refusing a "kill civvies" order. Its not like any space pilot would ever NOT be from the military.
>>
File: Daisy_Whitman_NoHat.jpg (489KB, 1058x756px) Image search: [Google]
Daisy_Whitman_NoHat.jpg
489KB, 1058x756px
>>48676471
>>
>>48676471
How hard's the sci-fi?.
10/10 would be flown places by
Old lady characters are very underused and rarely done badly
>>
>>48676661
Pretty hard. No aliens, mindpowers or technology indistinguishable from magic, there are only 3 breathable atmo planets, there's wormhole FTL but you have to get 5 AU above or below a star to use it so space travel takes months.

She's got a Southern drawl, its actually really easy to roleplay
>>
File: Aliens Ferro.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens Ferro.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
>>48672417
>Han
Love interest and trouble, counterpoint to the protagonist

>Wash
Love interest and comic relief

>Carmen
Love interest and cool professional, counterpoint to protagonist

>Jet
Traumatic past still relevant to the story, counterpoint to the protagonist

>Pilot
Traumatic past still relevant to the story and cool professional

>Fee
Most veteran spacer and grumpiest personality, cool professional

>Corp Ferro
2cool4school professional

The pilot seems to be a prime position for the foil in a dramatic arc. This does not translate well to a party dynamic where there is no one protagonist. But the trope remains that a pilot does their own separate thing, which matches nicely with the implied independence of being your own captain since the age of sail.

Take the deviousness of Holly, pair it with the professional tone of Majel Barrett, add the breakneck daring of Starbuck, and throw in some Starlord banter.
>>
File: spacebot.png (459KB, 499x562px) Image search: [Google]
spacebot.png
459KB, 499x562px
>>48676022
>>
Thrill -seeking adrenaline junkie: Grav-ball, . Surfing , hang gliding, roller derby, my player goes for it all.
All she has to do is hear the term 'Deathslalom' in a conversation and she jumps on it.
>>
>>48676798
That sounds real fun anon.
Reminds me a bit of Kate in Sam Jones, though it's just "old lady in space"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mO7vkdkJhg

I've always wanted to play an old Irish lady as a ship's engineer
>>
>>48676798
>Southern drawl
I urge you to find Carol Rawley (Foehammer)'s dialogue from Halo 1 on YouTube. It should give you a bit of inspiration for an older-woman pilot.
>>
>>48676837

>2cool4school professional

Where'd you get this? She has all of like two lines even in the extended cut.
>>
>>48677927
Those lines and her appearance/body language drip with personality though.
>>
File: Aliens dropship 0.jpg (386KB, 1800x751px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens dropship 0.jpg
386KB, 1800x751px
>>48677927
That's the genius of Cameron. He doesn't need hours of exposition. A few bombastic e-shots and a tag line or two are enough. Ferro has one of the most quoted lines of the whole movie, dripping with overconfidence and narrow thinking. She personifies what the USCM is all about so succinctly, how could you distill that further?

Where do I get this? Intonation mostly. The phrasing also conveys a lot of routine. The costume is quite telling, especially the Aviators. Editing does its part, paired with cinematography, even lighting.

12 seconds to tell a whole story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZk--oZdQk
pair it with this and we're there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFEaS0IhwoY
We know that she loves flying but hates her job. We know she puts up a slick exterior to cover vulnerability and uncertainty. We know she sees herself as utilitarian, a necessary compromise, a cog, and she willingly reduces herself to that role while on duty. We see some Marine spirit, refusing to give up even against insurmountable odds. And we see the arrogance of human assumption when the character is killed and all that responsibility, those tons and tons of accelerated mass and explosives, just carry on with the last trajectory they were given before succumbing to overconfidence.

Do you not watch a lot of movies?
>>
>>48678365
Best post.
>>
>I have a bad feeling about this.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.