[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/, a GW shop opened up nearby and has sparked a WH40k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 60030101021_CodexSpaceWolves01.jpg (60KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
60030101021_CodexSpaceWolves01.jpg
60KB, 600x620px
Sup /tg/, a GW shop opened up nearby and has sparked a WH40k scene in my city. I've always wanted to play 40k, but never knew where to start, so I've been checking around on play styles of the different factions and have narrowed it down to the Tau, Space Wolves, and Space Marines. Would it be better for me to build an army from scratch or use the GW starter collecting kits they have on their website? And is there one race you recommend over the other? I'm still pretty new to war gaming so something that wouldn't kill me with rules would be the best.
>>
>>48665754
howdi and welcome to the hobby

I'm not personally a player of WH40K but it's a good introduction, all in one place and there's plenty of support. There plenty of grumbles too but hey, it's a games, play and enjoy :-)

I'd get the starter set - it's all in one box, you get two sides ( so you can practice the rules and have fun at the same time ) and you can always swap you B team parts with people who've bought the same box but dont what the A team you're playing.

In general mate, have fun, enjoy it, dont take it ( or the people who shitpost ) too seriously.

see you late, be nice, have fun :-)
>>
>>48665754
Remember that this game is all memes and your wallet can't handle it.
>>
>>48665754
Tau and Space Wolves starter sets are good, but the Space Marine one doesn't really have the best synergy. All of them will save you money versus buying the kits by themselves however.

As for what you want to play I suggest either pirating the factions' codices or reading up on a wiki like Lexicanum about them. Keep in mind that not only are you going to play with these guys but you're going to spend a lot of time assembling, modelling, and painting them too. And next edition they might end up in rolling-dumpster-fire tier like Orks. Pick something you love or else you'll get burned or burned out, I guarantee it.

Also >>48669349 isn't wrong. This hobby isn't expensive compared to real hobbies like owning a boat or golfing regularly, but compared to other /tg/ things like playing D&D or even MTG it's harder on the wallet.
>>
>>48665754
Number one rule

play what you think is the coolest looking. It is the only thing that will keep you interested when it comes time around for your army to be mediocre.

example: my orks have been garbagewater for a long time, luckily they are orks and still fun.
>>
My advice is don't buy too much my man as fantasy players found out the hard way when AOS made all their figures worthless.

I already regret spending 500 on Tau.
>>
>>48672805
>>48672623
>>48671375
>>48668265
Thanks m8s, I already thought the price for the minis were a little steep, which is why instead of spending nearly double for a starter kit, I'd just start with an army that I thought had cool looking dudes like the Tau and Space Wolves. I'm not sure if other GW shops do this, but my local one has noob nights where the starters get to have a little fun and if you buy from there they let you paint for free. It sounded like a pretty good deal. I'll check the codexes and see which one sounds like an easier time to get into it.
>>
Got into it about 4 years ago myself. My advice is to start off with a small kit. Build it, paint it, see if you enjoy it.
Once you have a feel for the game, start out playing small matches. 500 points is a good place to begin.

I strongly encourage you not to dump a large amount of money into it right off the bat. There is a new edition slated for next fall, and it is going to decide the fate of WH40k. The game is currently dying or dead in a lot of places due to the awful rules and balance. If Games Workshop doesnt make massive improvements to the quality of the gameplay....
>>
>>48673927
This is why I have been hesitant to start, but now that I know that I'll just wait to see what happens. Is there a date slated for the drop?
>>
>>48673970
It is VERY unlikely that GW is gonna go out of business and just as unlikely that 40k is gonna disappear.
It's their number one seller and Space Marines are their most popular range.

New edition usually comes around every four to two years, so even if an army is shit now you can be sure stuff will change after a while.
Unless you are Orks, Sisters of Battle or Dark Eldar. Then you might end up being ignored for a decade.

Anyway keep in mind this is a long term thing, so if you pick a faction you should really like all aspects of it.
If you like an army but think you'd hate painting the models that's a red flag for instance.

You can get most of the books from the general's OP btw, so the current edition should be no reason to stop you from reading up on a few things if you are interested.
>>
>>48674075
No one said GW was going out of business. The fact is, 40k is hemmorhaging players. The report last week showed a decline in profit from last year, with a large increase in the proportion coming from IP licensing. This indicates a significant drop in kit sales, which suggests players are leaving the game. Or at the very least they have stopped buying.

If next Septembers release of 8th edition isnt a goddamn golden goose - 40k will not be a game worth getting involved with.
>>
>>48674075
"GW going out of business" is a meme that's been around since at least when I started playing in third edition literally 16 years ago. The people who say that sort of thing are either trolling or bought into trolling. I do analysis of financial statements are part of my job and always take a little time to eamine GW's annual statement. GW isn't a stellar company that I'm rushing off to invest in but they aren't going to crash and burn tomorrow (or in the next year) either. Most investors are actually slightly optimistic about their outlook, though I would advise Hold over Buy.

>>48673897
Take a picture of the first mini you paint. You can compare it to your current minis a decade later and be amazed at the progress you've made.
>>
>>48674599
I just started painting minis and I think I'm enjoying them more than the actual campaign we're working on right now, so I thought this was a logical step up.
>>
File: fw da.jpg (38KB, 435x462px) Image search: [Google]
fw da.jpg
38KB, 435x462px
>>48665754
Do you like bikes? If so, have you thought about joining the First Legion?
>>
>>48676074
Nah senpai, mostly fans of Ultramarines cause I'm a basic bitch
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.