[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which of these campaigns would you rather play /tg/? Option

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: pupper.jpg (21KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
Which of these campaigns would you rather play /tg/?

Option A:
>set in a fantasy world's equivalent of pre WW2 Europe
>technologically the it's the early 20th century except there's no guns
>party is selected for being good at magic and shit to join the army
>fast tracked to secret service/espionage positions because magic is rare and very powerful
>go around collecting intel on other nations in preparation of war
>have to assassinate VIPs from time to time
>have to protect their own country's leaders at other points
>mostly they are manipulating opposing country's governments to prevent war or join their alliance
>secretly I'm keeping track of all the players successes and fuck ups
>any huge fuck up could start the war almost instantaneously
>each success pushes war further away, failures pull it closer
>due to new advanced knowledge of magic, when the war hits it's potentially world ending
>only way to entirely prevent it is to convert every government to communism or topple all communist and fascist regimes without triggering a war
>it's almost definitely going to end in war but I'm curious to see how far my players can get

Option B in next post, full comment was too long.
>>
Option B:
>set during not!colonisation era
>magic is practically unknown to not!Europeans
>all records of dragons, wizards etc. are believed to be fairy tales
>party is in not!Americas
>natives of not!Americas are all fey, dragons, and all other kinds of magical beasts
>party gets payed to gather resources that could help not!Europeans learn magic
>quests are stuff like 'kill the dragon so I can study it's corpse and learn fire magic'
>they'd be given spells learned by the quest giver and magic items appropriate to what they just did
>like the dragon example would give them a bunch of fire spells and armour made from dragon skin on top of money
>all the while not!European powers are colonising the whole place and causing native beasts to lash out
>party gradually uncovers more and more hidden artefacts and ruins of ancient cities
>they eventually find out that beings from another plane almost destroy humanity when it approaches the point of being able to traverse planes
>they don't bother completely wiping us out, just enough to send us back to the stone age
>just so that they don't have to share their plane with humans or bother fighting an adversary that could end up being equally powerful
>the party now needs to destroy magical shit or somehow otherwise stop humanity's knowledge of magic growing
>killing the unknown beings is near impossible
>party has to strike a balance between gaining new shit to help them on their quest but not aiding the growth of magical knowledge far enough to doom humanity
>chances are they're going to fuck it up and get destroyed because they're loot whores
>>
>>48653083
>>48653090
Both sound unappealing honestly, so it's hard to decide. I grudgingly choose A.
>>
>>48653083
I love you sif
>>
File: omp5lwsw1ykgixwl744j.jpg (92KB, 800x484px) Image search: [Google]
omp5lwsw1ykgixwl744j.jpg
92KB, 800x484px
>>
>>48653083
I vote we let John GM again instead of you.
>>
>>48653603
>>48653696
ouch

>>48653683

A=pre WW2 espionage, bad decisions may cause war.

B=fight monsters make shit from their bodies.
>>
>>48653887
Just from that, I want to play monster hunter fey colonisers as a faux-british empire expeditionary force with pith helmets and magnificent moustaches.
The twist is kind of dumb though. Drop hints to some way to seal their plans off from the outsiders or something if they research right.
Imagine if you told players that gaining too much money will kill their characters. You're basically saying being too successful will destroy the setting.
>>
>>48653887
I'd play A. B might be a tad repetitive/inconsequential.
>>
>>48653943
The issue I have with just playing monster hunter the TTRPG is that there's no end game.
I'm just going to have my PCs fighting shit endlessly until the game somehow falls apart or I just call the end of it.
I want there to be some sort of plot with an actual end point, but I can see why my twist would maybe suck from a player's perspective.
How do players usually feel about a seemingly never ending campaign?
>>
>>48654080
Have an end game with an actual win condition then.
Anything other than "You personally did not cause Azathoth to devour the plane, good job! I mean someone else will cause it by researching the wrong thing pretty soon. But you didn't! Yaaay!"
>>
>>48654080
>How do players usually feel about a seemingly never ending campaign?
I'm in a game where we have a (nebulous) main quest but we get bullshit side quests constantly. After last session I literally cried for half an hour in bathroom and contemplated suicide. I am under meds and getting treatment but yeah, wouldn't recommend.
>>
>>48653083
The good answer is "don't ask us, ask your players". Don't sell the twist for option B of course, but do let it be known to them that option B's plot could be exceedingly unfair to them, see how they respond.

As for me, if you presented me with colonialist monster hunter or cold war magic spies, I'd choose cold war magic spies, but that's only because I've got a love for setting with room for politics and faction-warring.
>>
>>48654180

Sidequests are usually optional and ideally should give the party loot/coin/information about the main quest. Are the other players constantly voting to do the sidequests??
>>
>>48653083
>it's the early 20th century except there's no guns

Nope.
>>
>>48653090
>set during not!colonisation era
>magic is practically unknown to not!Europeans

Also nope.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.