[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I had this idea for a setting where, yes, Good, Evil, Law,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

So, I had this idea for a setting where, yes, Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos are real forces in the universe, but their correspondence to good, evil, order, and chaos in the moral sense is a rough one.

Such that maybe this guy is really reckless and impulsive, kind of a dick, but he's not THAT bad, and so when he dies his soul kind of lazily floats along in the general direction of the abyss, and maybe he gets taken to the abyss or Carceri, but maybe he gets taken to Pandemoneum or Archeron.

Maybe devils debate what constitutes evil in the halls of infernal universities.

Maybe Detect Good/Detect Evil only work on spirits from those planes because they measure Good and Evil, which are detectable, rather than good and evil, which are much more difficult to pin down. Meanwhile the gods and other extraplanar entities are called Good and Evil out of a general tendency among sentient beings (including those gods and entities themselves) to categorize things.

Basically, I'm envisioning a world where the philosophical reasons to believe in or dispute the existence of absolute good and evil (and the fiddly details about whether a specific action is good or evil) as there are in our world, but where these larger forces still exist.

What this does is make alignment a matter of alliance/connection to a specific "side" in the eternal cosmic battle, like it was way back in the earliest D&D editions. It may tend to correlate with actual moral outlook and personality, but it doesn't refer TO it.

This should allow D&D magic centered around alignment to function as intended, allow players to have alignments (or be true neutral like most humans), and maybe create some interesting roleplay opportunities.
>>
File: 1470490965300.jpg (143KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470490965300.jpg
143KB, 960x960px
>>
>>48653054
So, you just invented the 1st editions of DnD?
>>
>>48653149
Close-ish. I think there are some differences in implementation, in that the earliest versions to use 3x3 alignment indicated, for example, that being Good and being good were exactly coextensive, and I don't think that's necessarily the case.

I would say that most Good people are probably good people, and most Evil people are probably evil, but what if, say, you had a Lawful Evil god who cares only about his own people, and they know he's Evil, but don't actually think he's evil in the moral sense because he's always protected them in exchange for their service? Is everyone who follows him automatically evil, or just Evil in the alignment/allegiance sense?
>>
>>48653054
What if the spirits, gods, and other extraplanar creatures don't actually have any hard definitions of good and evil themselves, but rather are trying to figure it out for themselves? What if there's all sorts of cosmic disputes along the lines of "I'm good!" - "No, I am!" - "Bullshit, you're both clearly neutral!" and some-such?

What if Detect Alignment doesn't actually do anything of that sort, but rather obtains some sort of morality score determined by magical constructs (kept up-to-date on the most recent morality debate results through a divine-infernal peer-to-peer network) that humanity's extraplanar judges attach to them because it's way too much of a hassle to watch them all, day in, day out?

What if they deliberately deluded their followers into thinking that those constructs are their souls? What if someone figured out a way to remove those and is offering to purge people from those parasites in exchange for a percentage of their property? What if removing thetans from the premises actually works, despite said someone charging an arm and a leg and attempting to brainwash anyone that seeks 'em out by means of "necessary preparation sessions"?
>>
Where would the toothbrush moustache fall on this chart?
>>
>>48653437
Pure Good
>>
File: Beard trustworthiness.jpg (486KB, 5500x1299px) Image search: [Google]
Beard trustworthiness.jpg
486KB, 5500x1299px
>>48653054
>>
>>48653054
>goatie not evil alignment
hmmm
>>
>>48653630
Well, Chaplin wasn't that sinless...
>>
File: 1470490965300.jpg (113KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1470490965300.jpg
113KB, 960x960px
>>48653054
I prefer my alternative alignment system. Same sort of concept as yours, just flipped on its head.
>>
>>48653955
Rick truly is CE.
>>
>>48653933
Charlie Chaplin did nothing wrong.
>>
>>48653955
Fantastic.
>>
>>48655475
Well, he didn't want to be an emperor, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: Manliest Hug.gif (3MB, 326x239px) Image search: [Google]
Manliest Hug.gif
3MB, 326x239px
>>48653955
They look like Jojos to me.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.