[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you want to see from kaladesh /tg/? Will blue and red

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 23

File: kaladesh.jpg (103KB, 700x350px) Image search: [Google]
kaladesh.jpg
103KB, 700x350px
What do you want to see from kaladesh /tg/?

Will blue and red get their upswing?
Will thopters return?
Will noncreature spells be worse then creatures?

Discus.
>>
>>48641407
>Clockwork world
>WotC puts Dragons in everything

A clockwork dragon creature that doesn't suck balls.
>>
Green getting good stuff for once. Seriously, it's like the least powerful color and it's never getting any better.
>>
>>48641407
I really liked the "Investigate" ability. Hope we get something similar. Maybe some artifact that can be cracked for damage instead of drawing.
>>
>>48641472
I disagree. Collected Company, Birthing pod.

But I do feel like whatever green gets it's just to help service the other colours

Green does need something.
>>
Mana (in aether form) is a controlled resourced on Kaladesh and most forms of magic are illegal. Red and blue, being the colors of most traditional spell based magic, will get the shaft. The set will focus on artifacts and creatures, further powering up green and white. In addition, since green and white have powerful artifact hate, they will probably be made stronger by the increased prevalence of artifacts in the metagame.
>>
>>48641407
I am expecting an artifact commander with a completely underwhelming ability and over costed cmc in the second set.
>>
File: 1354653281771.jpg (24KB, 249x211px) Image search: [Google]
1354653281771.jpg
24KB, 249x211px
>>48641407
>yfw Old Phyrexian tech gets found in Ruins on Kaladesh
>>
>>48641532
Collected company is rotating out and birthing pod was banned.
>>
>>48641407
I'd like new Gods based on hindu mythology, tricolor if possible.

>Fuckin' Mardu Kali
>Bant Vishnu
>Jeskai Shiva
>Temur Brahmah
>Five color Brahman
>And many others

Impossible tho.
>>
>>48641472
Green is the best colour in Standard right now with Collected Company, Duskwatch Recruiter, Tireless Tracker and Seasons Past cracking up more card advantage than any blue deck hold up against.
>>
>>48642178
Doubtful since Kaladesh was the RU plane in Origins
>>
>>48641407

More RUG stuff, I hope.

Won't really mind anything else if I get that.
>>
>>48643509
My dick would be diamonds if this were to become a reality. Sadly it seems unlikely since gods are tied to the enchantment creature type, but maybe we could get a different Hindu themed plane? Or alt. They make them just regular creature - god?
>>
Hoping for more RBG stuff that'll have cascade.
>>
>>48642939
>I don't know if I would cream my pants or have a heart attack.
>>
File: 1468936095089.jpg (170KB, 1024x897px) Image search: [Google]
1468936095089.jpg
170KB, 1024x897px
>>48642939
>yfw the Justice League kill Yawgmoth
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
>>48642939
>tfw the phyrexians get killed in half a block as an afterthought by the jacetice league.
>>
File: devil_eating_gecko.jpg (42KB, 480x404px) Image search: [Google]
devil_eating_gecko.jpg
42KB, 480x404px
>>48643843
>Fuck off Gecko
>I'm going to eat you
>>
>>48643942
If that happens, I will stop buying magic cards for my collection (and casual gaming with friends) and I'll not buy anything from the Wizards of the Coast. I'm putting my foot done on these stupid fuckers, like GW for getting rid of Slaanesh.
>>
File: Avacyn in the corner.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Avacyn in the corner.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>48641407
More cardboard standups!

My LCS was going to just THROW this away today. I wasn't letting that happen.
>>
>>48643980
How does such a complete reversal of the food chain even happen? That's like an American being eaten by cows.
>>
File: steelhellkite.jpg (68KB, 1000x731px) Image search: [Google]
steelhellkite.jpg
68KB, 1000x731px
>>48641453
Steelhell kite is amazing in MUD.
>>
>>48643942
Naw man, they'd have more sense than that.

Nahiri will kill the Phyrexians to prove herself to the Gatewatch.
>>
Mana peak or a playable 2 mana counterspell.

Lightning strike or searing spear or flame slash.
>>
>>48644831
I believe there common in America.
>>
>>48643786
Artifact Creature Gods.
>>
>>48641407

I want a red/blue Thopter-themed artificer legend and lots and lots of thopter generators so I can make a deck about swarming my foes with tiny, flying robots...
>>
>>48644026
>GW for getting rid of Slaanesh

The fuck is this meme?
>>
>>48646833
They're killing Slaanesh
>>
>>48641407
>What do you want to see from kaladesh /tg/?

Thopter tribal, thopter Lord.
>>
The Gatewatch will feature prominently in the story because Wizards is desperate to build brand identity. Boy, won't that be fun? I'm sure our favorite Planeswalkers will appear to help solve a mystery and thwart otherworldly invaders!
>>
>>48643843
YOu mean the guy that's already dead and the deadest character in magic canon?
>>
>>48646873
No they aren't?
>>
>>48641407

A storyline that doesn't involve an apocalypse.
>>
>>48641407
new red mechanic card advantage mechanic that becomes evergreen

broken red 2 drop creature to go along with snapcaster, goyf, confidant, stoneforge

return of good land destruction to red (reprint of pillage that can also kill planeswalkers would be a good start)

return of good burn to red

multiple, playable red planeswalkers at 4 and below mana

mono red combo kill

banning of circle of protection: red in all formats
>>
>>48649889
also banning of kor firewalker and soltari priest
>>
>>48649771
Well, you are in luck. This set is about the Gatewatch's vacation.
>>
What is Black doing in a (presumably) artifact heavy set?
Copy what they did in mirrodin or new shit?
>>
>>48653124
Maybe Black will give the artifact creatures ambition that leads to the Aether revolt?
>>
>>48649102
They did in AoS.
>>
>>48652351
>Well, you are in luck. This set is about the Gatewatch's vacation.
People keep saying this as if we're going to get an Unset style beach episode, but you know damned well that the first set is going to be all hell breaking loose as some crazy guy goes Doctor Wily and then Aether Revolt is going to just be Mankind Divided as Artificers fight each other in the street with big old Hulk Hands like Return to Ravnica.

It's going to be "The Gatewatch go on vacation... and then rioting and turmoil breaks out because that's what happens when the PCs go on vacation".

Which, ironically I could have sworn the Gatewatch was created from a story perspective to stop the "randomly hop to a world for snacks only for the apocalypse to be happening". Although honestly I guess it's a bit more interesting that way. Everything since Zendikar I (Alara if you're being generous) has been more or less connected. I don't really want self contained blocks where the heroes fight a Monster of the Set because they were just out patrolling.
>>
>>48641407
>Will thopters return?
If they don't I will burn Renton, WA to the bedrock.
>>
>>48653748

I'd actually really like to see a set that was very low key in it's fighting.

It's not about a full on war. It's about a few guys raiding a tomb or competing in wargames while they soak in the local culture.

Or heck, go to that Planechase plane that is a giant Hippodrome. Have Chandra brawling with loansharks after she loses a bet while Nissa is off freeing wild animals.
>>
>>48653748
I think the entire idea of the Gatewatch severely limits how creative they can be with a set
>>
File: FullSizeRender-9[1].jpg (900KB, 1937x2582px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender-9[1].jpg
900KB, 1937x2582px
>>48649889
>broken red 2 drop creature to go along with snapcaster, goyf, confidant, stoneforge

Why hello there.
>>
>>48653748
>I don't really want self contained blocks where the heroes fight a Monster of the Set because they were just out patrolling.
Personally, I don't want "the heroes" in magic at all. It's supposed to be a multiverse, why are we following the 5 random idiots around forever? They're all flat, one dimensional morons who are only successful because the plot rolls over and dies for them.

Give me new 'walkers, dammit. Give me people who are personally invested in the plane of the block so that I can be invested in it. I don't give a damn about some retarded high school romance between nerdy asshole and goth chick who are both magical. I'm not impressed at all by "big huge monster is killed by fire because lolrandom redhead fire because fire hurr hurr".

I just want some fucking nuance. At all. Just a little. I don't care how it comes about.
>>
File: 3TLIfZB.png (412KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
3TLIfZB.png
412KB, 970x545px
>>48653839
This

I want to discover new worlds and NOT see new worlds through the eyes of the fucking Scooby Doo gang

Maybe the whole gatewatch thing could work if WotC weren't such pussies and allowed Jace and pals to die occasionally and for them to fetch new members from the planes they visit.

It's only been 2 blocks and I'm already tired of the idea of the gatewatch
>>
No Eldrazi

No Phyrexian

Nothing of any other obscenely powerful, dimension threatening evil entity that is as old as eternity that just blatantly consumes/mutates/corrupts/destroys all that stand in front of it.

No Jacetice League except for possibly Chandra because it is her home.

Just give me a set of wizards, artificers and adventurers seeking fame, power, wealth, glory or a combination of those.
>>
>>48653748

The gatewatch was created so that there would be characters to follow from world to world, and so that they'd have an Avengers movie to sell. Not for planes to stop exploding, and most certainly not for the general story to actually get better.
>>
>Muraganda will have some Jacetice League plot going on

Please kill me now, I just want things that can only be cast with basic lands, vanilla matters, and dinosaurs...
>>
>>48653839
What if the gatewatch fucks up and kills someone important runs away and the plane devolves from quite shadow wars to full blown civil war? I mean that would never happen but it could be cool and make the gatewatch into a not completely perfect group of god beings
>>
>>48653872

Honestly, even 'die' isn't required. Just 'Not turn up for a bit'. Let Jace go do his job, let Liliana go be a Saturday morning villain somewhere else. they don't need to all always turn up.

You could have a fine set with '1/2 members of the gatewatch and a few other planeswalkers'
>>
>>48653875
Well we already know the Jacetice league are there for the Invention Fair.

So I apologize
>>
>>48653872

The biggest issue with the Jacetice League in my opinion is that in order to establish it they COMPLETELY fucked over two awesome settings in order to try to convince us that we should like... totally like the Gatewatch because look at them save the day and shit.

Zendikar wasn't hit as badly but look at Innistrad: nearly ALL the characters that made that place what it was got killed off.
>>
>>48653876
>and so that they'd have an Avengers movie to sell.

I would bet a large sum of money that in the Kaladesh block we will be introduced to our anti-gatewatch (aka the Legion of Doom)
>>
>>48653937

Didn't we already meet Lex Luthor last set?
>>
A RU artifacts matter commander, wizards pls, I've been waiting so long
>>
>>48653797
You can't really have that in Magic, though. It's a set up that inherently needs to involve Plains, Islands, Swamps, Mountains, and Forests. It's got to be something big enough to effect an entire plane.
>Or heck, go to that Planechase plane that is a giant Hippodrome. Have Chandra brawling with loansharks after she loses a bet while Nissa is off freeing wild animals.
As awesome as that sounds, it's more the venue of a novel. Though I'm sure they could figure out how to do a planewide Contest Planet. One thought off the top of my head is that the Gatewatch needs to win some McGuffin to save some overarching plot and the only way they can is by playing at the rules of the Panem et Circenses planet (which are probably magically enforced or something).

>>48653808
I don't really think it does. Or at least, the ways that it limits creativity are things that are offset by it facilitating what they want to do, which is what most people in these threads seem to forget: Wizards *wants* a Gatewatch, and a Gatewatch is actually what a lot of fans want. 20somethings may be winning the tournaments and stuff, but this game isn't necessarily marketed towards you, it's marketed towards your little brother and sister, who have Avengers teeshirts and action figures of the new Ghostbusters. And "teamwork makes the dreamwork" and FRIENDSHIP! are not bad themes for a product rated Ages 10+.

Plus, like I said, with Kaladesh they're already ignoring the "they'll go out and look for trouble instead of bumbling into it" aspect. I mean, shit, technically they did that with Shadows (did Jace ever actually fetch Sorin?) but it was technically a sequel so whatever. We'll have to wait until at least next year to see them actually do the thing they seemed to want to.
>>
Unrelated question how fucked is innistrad now? The vampires barely took any losses,the humans got fucked up,werewolves are basically dead,nature got SUPER fucked, and the only guy who could do anything about this is stuck in a rock
>>
>>48641407
Assembling Contraptions.
>>
>>48653931

Zendikar ya, they fucked up. They at least set it up so that they could go back to old zendikar at the end, but they fucked up BFZ.

But in no way was Shadows a flavor fuck up. If BFZ hadn't fucked up so hard we wouldn't even be thinking about Shadows being some kind of flavor fuck up. Shadows went in the obvious direction, cthulhu stuff, building on things that were planted in the previous set. Ludevic, Gisa, Geralf, Thalia, and Odric are still alive, and they're the main characters of the plane. Gothic Horror begets Cosmic Horror. Cosmic is a subset of Gothic, lest we forget where it came from.
>>
>>48653937

Vraska green, Ob Nixilis, black, Tezzeret blue, Tibalt red, Nahiri white. Bolos as Ugin.

Raven Man steal Venser's body when they go back to phyrexia and was Yawgmoth the whole time.
>>
>>48643509
>Shiva
>the destroyer
>with WU in his colours.

May wanna rethink that anon, Mardi seems more accurate.
>>
>>48653839
>>48653872
>I don't want "the heroes" in Magic at all
Too fuckin' bad. Most of them have more character than people here give them credit for, and most people only hate it because they have nostalgia for when they first started playing, which overwhelmingly seems to be between Mirrodin and Lorwyn, where every block was a random plane with no overarching plot at all. For an overwhelming amount of Magic's life, it's focused on stories and heroes. Honestly, people only seem to have started hating on it with the "neowalkers" when Return to Ravnica came around. Before that most people seemed fine with storylines that were related (or even concurrent).

People even liked the plot to Theros, if not the actual mechanics. And that's sort of how I expect it to go. The Gatewatch isn't going to show up together all the time, and probably won't hang out together either.

>Maybe the whole gatewatch thing could work if WotC weren't such pussies and allowed Jace and pals to die occasionally and for them to fetch new members from the planes they visit.
a) it's for kids, death isn't going to be fucking everywhere
b) Venser is dead. Elspeth is dead. She literally died like last year.
c) For fucks sake they literally just completed their set by picking up Liliana. Gideon even asked Moonbunny, but she's too much of a robot to be around normies. I'm pretty sure Maro has outright said they're going to be asking people to join.

People keep making it out like we're never going to see new Planeswalkers and yet four of the last six Walkers were not from the Gatewatch. I'd hate all the criticism people lob at the "Jacetice League" if it didn't feel like the complaints were coming from a place of myopia.
>>
>>48654135

Previously humans were on surplus, and vampires were waning. Now everything is balanced out, and there's a new third party to keep the other two in check (emrakul). Next set has aliens coming from the moon.
>>
>>48641407
More baubles.
I want to see more red card advantage.
I want to see a better cantrip than serum visions.
And as always, a functional reprint of Cabal Therapy (probably not going to happen). Flashback should be evergreen. Cabal therapy needs to be in modern.
>>
>>48654350

I'm actually surprised we're getting as many new walkers as we are. We got ghost chick in conspiracy, and indian chick in kaladesh coming up.
>>
>>48653876
I never said it was to stop planes from exploding. I said that they were going to stop bumbling into planes that are exploding every time they go out for milk; instead they'd go looking for trouble, instead of having it find them.
I don't like that protagonists always have to be reactionary.

>>48653875
>Just give me a set of wizards, artificers and adventurers seeking fame, power, wealth, glory or a combination of those.
Can you name a single Magic set where nothing notable happened? Where we saw business as usual for the places we visited? It is always going to be about upheavels. Even the summer spin-off set is all about politics that make America look reasonable.

>>48653900
>vanilla matters
That will never happen because it would be far too boring.

>>48653914
Again, that's exactly how it's going to work.

>>48654256
>>48653931
Zendikar was created to be fucked up by the Eldrazi. That's not something they did to establish the Gatewatch. That was literally the point of Zendikar.
Innistrad is probably better off.
Also, most of the characters who "made that place what it was" were meme characters that /tg/ started loving because they hate the Gatewatch.

>>48653937
That would actually be cool. I bet Bolas is seeing them team up and assembling planeswalkers and going "W-well I have one of those, too!"

>>48654290
>Vraska
>Monogreen
>Wanting Yawgmoth involved in anything
Just kill yourself, fampai.
>>
>>48654135
>Unrelated question how fucked is innistrad now?
Not very, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
Vampires took a shitton of losses (they were the most effected by Emrakul), humans took the fewest.
Nature on Zendikar was already super fucked.

>>48654384
>We got ghost chick in conspiracy,
What, did you expect Dack to just stick around? Conspiracy's always going to have at least one Planeswalker. (Probably *only* one).
Ghost chick seems cool. I didn't read her story, because it's long and I'm lazy, but "ghost killer" is pretty neat as a schtick. I wonder what her card will be like and what her abilities/colour are.
>>
>>48654355
There's still the fact that there's no one to protect the humans from the vampires as Sorin is stuck in a rock
>>
>>48654256

Oh, I heard Gisa and Geralf were killed in Eldritch Moon. Guess I got bad information. Then that's not too bad. Still sucks that three of the big name angels got killed off, though.

It still bugs me that it came up to being just more Eldrazi shit. I can't enjoy the Eldrazi as a threat because there is nothing you can relate to about them. At least the Phyrexians had some emotional drive or apparent end goal to them and they couldn't just turn you to dust or mutate you beyond recognition with very little effort and leaving you with no chance to fight back.
>>
>Can you name a single Magic set where nothing notable happened? Where we saw business as usual for the places we visited? It is always going to be about upheavels. Even the summer spin-off set is all about politics that make America look reasonable.

Wasn't the original Zendikar set like that? During Rise of the Eldrazi and Worldwake that changed but during the base set of Zendikar it was mainly quests and adventures exploring that totally gnarly world.
>>
>>48654525
The original block set up Zendikar as a crazy world where shit was ALWAYS in disarray. There were hints of something going down, even if there weren't tentacles everywhere.
I suppose I meant "block", though. I don't think the first Lorwyn block really had anything going for it, either, but there was still that whole "eternal night is coming" thing.

>>48654464
Some of us like the Eldrazi. I like the Eldrazi specifically because they're a strange alien threat with no end goal.

>mfw there are no billboards here
Fuck you, Captcha
>>
>>48654413

Cmon, don't cherry pick my comment. It's not like I said ONLY vanilla matters, even I recognize that can't be everything. Hence also basic lands focus, and dinosaurs. I'd even add that it's a prime opportunity to bring back full art creatures.
>>
>>48654525
I mean, Lorwyn I guess? Isn't Shadowmoor a regular thing?
>>
>>48641505
No.
>>
Urban artificer elves.
>>
>>48654413

People think Raven Man looks like Urza. I want to see Yawgmoth back in a body that looks like Urza's because that would be amazingly villainous.
>>
>>48654454

Didn't you read the story? Humans have Stands now. They don't need protection.
>>
File: 1464453669232.gif (129KB, 228x310px) Image search: [Google]
1464453669232.gif
129KB, 228x310px
>What do you want to see from Kaladesh?
Some sort of U/R artifact control in standard.

>Will blue and red get their upswing
Probably not
>Will thopters return
Well, yeah.
>Will noncreature spells be worse than creatures?
You can count on it. We're probably in for another year of mid-range bullshit.
>>
How is nobody talking about vehicles here? Get ready to have multequip banding artifacts in standard
>>
>>48654835
What I mean is that a block where Vanilla Matters would require a larger than normal number of vanilla creatures, which would be boring. People bitch about Magic being turning creatures sideways, but vanilla matters would require that even more.

>>48654841
It's regular, but it's still notable.

>>48655058
>Vehicles
>Multequip
That's fucking stupid, Anon.
I want it
>>
>>48644831
About 22 americans are killed by cows every year tho
>>
>>48655058
>Multiequip

Fucking fund it
>>
>>48655111
>>48655082
>>48655058

I want them to literally call it multequip. Megamorph was a dumb name. We can do dumber.
>>
File: 1444227753739.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1444227753739.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>48655111
>>48655082
/ccg/ has done it first.
>>
>>48655082

It wouldn't really need that much, it would just need X vanilla creatures at common. A token with no text also counts as a vanilla creature. A creature with abilities removed is a vanilla creature.

Look at mirrodin, its artifact themed, but not completely artifacts. Each color deals with artifacts in different ways. I'd imagine for vanilla it'd be much the same.

I kinda find it appealing because it would return to older magic gameplay, where creatures weren't completely fucking stupid. So I'd actually posit that the set would be less turning sideways centric than current metas, since vanilla means inherently inefficient creatures.
>>
>>48655224
More wordy than it needs to be. The mechanic should say the card can be equipped to any number of creatures at once.
>>
>>48655224
/ccg/ will have done most things; monkeys banging on a keyboard and all that.

>>48655266
My problem with it is that they each attack separately. You'd need to add a lot of comp rules and I'm not sure that'd work. Or at least, I don't think they'd want to.

>>48655252
You would not want a set that had as many vanilla creatures as Mirrodin had artifacts. I say that it would be about turning creatures sideways because there's nothing else for them to do.
>>
>>48644798
damn, your mom lets you have that in your room? i think my mom would freak if i brought that home lol.
>>
File: Disruptive Student.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Disruptive Student.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>48653875
>>Just give me a set of wizards, artificers and adventurers seeking fame, power, wealth, glory or a combination of those.
>Can you name a single Magic set where nothing notable happened? Where we saw business as usual for the places we visited? It is always going to be about upheavels. Even the summer spin-off set is all about politics that make America look reasonable.

Which is still business as usual for that plane. But okay:
- Mercadian Masques
- Odyssey
- Mirrodin
- Darksteel (a couple of characters are involved with the storyline while the rest of the world is still business as usual)
- Ravnica
- Guildpact
- Lorwyn
- Morningtide
- Shards of Alara
- Zendikar
- Innistrad
- arguably Return to Ravnica
- arguably Gatecrash
- Theros
- Khans of Tarkir

Of these, as far as I'm aware, Mercadian Masques, Odyssey*, Ravnica**, Lorwyn* and Return to Ravnica** did not result in massive changes to their world in their block.
* The settings of Odyssey and Lorwyn did get completely fucked over in the next block.
** The breaking (and reestablishment) of the Guildpact did happen but didn't do all that much to the world.

In addition, many sets have prominently featured business as usual for that world; Ice Age block highlighted its factions, Urza's block prominently featured the Academy, teachers and students and the like, Scourge was less about the Karona conflict and more about what the post-apocalypse was like, Kamigawa block showed many daily aspects of Kamigawan life, and so on.
>>
>>48655412

I mean, there can only be so many vanilla creatures. Like, 1-5 cmc for each color would just be 25 vanillas. You functionally can't have a large amount of them. The set can be vanilla matters by having them at common, not by having them take up 100 card slots.

I would anticipate that they introduce new 'basic' type rules (which maro has hinted at) to allow anything to be 'basic'. So relentless rats would become basic rat or whatever.

So, rattling off my list again, muraganda can have basic lands matter, vanilla matters, introduce basic creatures, full art vanilla creatures, and dinosaurs. That seems more than enough to base a set around and leaves room to have the normal fodder stuff that sets have.
>>
>>48641407
More burn spells in red and hopefully less "I turn [Creature] sideways and attack." In standard.
>>
>>48641472
I want green non creature spells aside "Get more dudes" or "get more land."
>>
>>48654256
>But in no way was Shadows a flavor fuck up. If BFZ hadn't fucked up so hard we wouldn't even be thinking about Shadows being some kind of flavor fuck up. Shadows went in the obvious direction, cthulhu stuff, building on things that were planted in the previous set.

No. The problem is that the direction was anything but obvious. Innistad block ended with the return of the angels and everything becoming a happy end (as far as that's possible with a plane like that). It was no longer a gothic horror setting. Then Shadows came along and said 'NEVER MIND THAT HUMANITY IS STILL FUCKED' (even disregarding the whole 'Avacyn going mad' thing, the events of Avacyn Restored should have left them in a much stronger position than they were before). The problem was solved, then some dumb neowalker came along and caused a new problem for the Gatewatch to solve. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the motivation was entirely retarded; a planeswalker devastates an entire plane and puts the multiverse itself at risk because of a stupid misunderstanding that nobody manages to clear up (was anyone even trying to?).
>>
>>48655516
>The implication that people who play Magic all live with their parents
The only people I know who play Magic are people who can afford to not live with their parents.
On the other hand, I can't afford to play Magic because I live with my parents.

>>48655683
25 vanillas is a substantial amount. There are that many vanilla creatures in Standard right now PERIOD.

>I would anticipate that they introduce new 'basic' type rules (which maro has hinted at) to allow anything to be 'basic'. So relentless rats would become basic rat or whatever.
This on the other hand would be cool.

>>48655759
>a planeswalker devastates an entire plane and puts the multiverse itself at risk because of a stupid misunderstanding that nobody manages to clear up
She did it because Sorin locked her in a fucking demon filled prison for two thousand years. Full stop. Anything else is just Delirium. Also, no one but Sorin has interacted with Nahiri, or even knows she was involved. And Sorin doesn't know that anything is safe except Innistrad. The characters in the story don't know the story just because you do.
>>
>>48655759

Eh, I'm not going to defend retcons, but Innistrad's original story was never set in stone with details. Remember it came after books got dropped, but before they had an online story presence. They tried (and failed) to tie up loose ends from original Innistrad for years. Everything about it has been retconned. DESPITE THIS there are actually plenty of off hand references to things dwelling in the deep off the misty coasts of innistrad, and light lovecraft themes in general, to make cosmic horror the obvious direction. To the point that the story beats were predicted years before we even returned. The minutia of 'sorin why were you a dick to nahiri' doesn't really take away from the general direction being obvious.

It really isn't as terrible as you're trying to make it seem.
>>
File: Image (15).png (117KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (15).png
117KB, 223x311px
badass equipment and auras
>>
>>48655904
What retcons have there been? Hell, what loose ends got tied up?
It was basically "Avacyn's back and she's gonna crush shit" and then we were off to Ravnica.
>>
>>48654892
Raven Man looks like Urza because he's Mishra.
>>
>>48655833
>The implication that people who play Magic all live with their parents
actually the implication that only a child (or manchild) would put a promotional cardboard standup into his room.
>>
>>48656128
That's an even dumber argument, and if you're going that route you might as well say only manchildren play Magic.

Adults can have fun. Do you think people should only decorate with old paintings from fleamarkets?
>>
>>48656039

Garruk was mildly cured caught by Odric and was going to be taken to Avacyn, now he's super villain man. And wolfir got retconned, to wizards own admission. Werewolfs were literally not supposed to exist anymore.
>>
>>48641407
>Will blue and red get their upswing?
Red will never get it's upswing
>Will thopters return?
Probably
>Will noncreature spells be worse then creatures?
Yes, sorceries and instants are being depowered as we go along, just look what they did to lightning bolt.
>>
Red and green have been sharing stuff recently, maybe we could get some more mana producing stuff in red, maybe even some land search.
>>
>>48654909
Not him but pls elaborate
>>
>>48649889
If literally any of these things happen (let's be real Wotc hates red mages) I will cream my pants
>>
>>48656875

Geist of Saint Traft is Thalia's Stand now, and he taught her army how to use Stands
>>
>>48654909
The fact that humans have "stands" now just confirms what I've always been saying. The humans of Innistrad are the best humans of any plane. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>48657362

It's the plane of human tribal after all
>>
File: Elesh Norn .jpg (482KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Elesh Norn .jpg
482KB, 1600x1200px
>>48657362
The humans of New Phyrexia are less dependent on flesh. You are wrong, fleshling.
>>
>>48659989
Nornfags are actually the worst
>>
>>48657362
Wasn't there a Kamigawan human who beat Nicol Bolas's ass one time despite not being a planeswalker and this being before the Mending?
>>
>>48654093
The Hippodrome was on Segovia, the plane created to explain how a leviathan that dwarfs a whole pod of blue whales in its art xould be only 3/3. Segovia is a tiny 1/100 scale plane. I dunno how you could make a whole set on it. Maybe a set where each creature represents a whole army
>>
>>48655664
Mercadia's main city and most notable geographic feature was desteoyed, and you know that if they ever go back to it it'll be Phyrexia 3.0 because it was used as a Phyrexian staging ground back in the day.
>>
>>48660348
That was Tetsuo Umezawa, a descendant of Toshiro Umezawa born and raised on Dominaria.
>>
>>48660348
Nicol Bolas wasn't a planeswalker during that time.
>>
>>48641407
>Will blue and red get their upswing?
No. Can't have blue being good or red not being burn.

>Will thopters return?
Yes. They'll be decent, like myr on Mirrodin were, but nothing amazingly special.

>Will noncreature spells be worse then creatures?
Yes. Why would they be better than creatures? Everyone knows creatures are the name of the game these days.

>Are you looking forward to Kaladesh?
>You didn't ask this question, but it was implied.
No. WotC has really ruined my faith in them. They don't care for the long-time players these days. That's a fine business choice, but it makes me sad to see.
>>
>>48660768
If I recall, Planeswalkers on Segovia are automatically tiny.

>>48655664
I didn't realize this was directed at me, because you replied to the wrong person.
>Which is still business as usual for that plane
I'm talking upheavel and change and conflict. All of those settings--at least the ones I know most about--are about changes.
Mirrodin was about defeating Memnarch, Ravnica was about infighting that was threatening to tear the world apart as the Dimir guy's plans came to fruition. Lorwyn/Shadowmoor was all about the switching cycle. Alara was about the Conflux and the Shards coming together due to Bolas' interference. Zendikar was a roiling hellhole and things were getting worse as the Eldrazi were awakening. Innistrad started out explicitly fucked with Avacyn missing. Return to Ravnica block was all about... fuck me I honestly can't remember what it was about. Theros was about bickering Gods, a Usurper, and the Pantheon getting thrown out of wack. Khans was dumb and none of the story mattered enough because they had to show us everything three times.

>Kamigawa block showed many daily aspects of Kamigawan life
Yes, but it was also set during a war.
In all of these sets, "something notable" definitely happened.
>>
>>48649889
>reprint of pillage that can also kill planeswalkers
you're retarded.
>>
>>48662376
>No. WotC has really ruined my faith in them. They don't care for the long-time players these days. That's a fine business choice, but it makes me sad to see.
I'm sorry, but every time I see this it comes off as whiny as hell. It's just asinine bitching that you want the game to pander to you instead of doing what's best for business and the long term life of the product. They care about long term players, they just don't care about whatever insignificant thing you hate them for.
>>
>>48662428
Catering to the lowest common denominator often results in a dip in quality. Yes, WotC wants to make money and, being a business, that's totally fine and okay. With that said, it's important to acknowledge that they are making a less interesting product in the effort to appeal to a wider audience. Wider audiences don't want the same things as long term 'enfranchised' players.
>>
>>48644798
Nice, I'd love to have one of those. I've only got a giant hedron that's been standing in a corner for months because I can't figure out how to mount it to the ceiling.
>>
>>48662519
You know if Wizards listened to what you want, the game would be shit, right?

You know what happens when "enfranchised" players are catered to? You get Time Spiral, which was the lowest point in the game's history, and what actually did almost kill Magic.
>>
>>48662851
I'm on your side that whiners like him need to shut up, and that's fucking stupid. Time Spiral was an excellent block.
>>
>>48643509
That would require any knowledge of other cultures at all, and the folks at WotC are all incurious nerds.
>>
>>48662428
I agree with this guy

Personally I love the Gatewatch. I hope they all get awesome dragons to ride and be awesome with. Also Jace should be more powerful and I hope WotC are already working on this, he should be the Goku of this series. Also he should be angrier and have access to a time machine. Whenever Jace isn't in the set you should have every other walker say "Where's Jace?"
>>
>>48662851
I would rather the game die and in it's last few years they pump out amazing sets like Time Spiral. Rather then make every set into boring safe Marvel's The Avengers The Jace the Magic and continue for a hundred years.
>>
>>48663071
You can achieve just about everything about Time Spiral that made it great without resorting to poor rarity design.

People have rose-tinted glasses towards Time Spiral just because it was HUGE. It was printed back when large sets had 100+ more cards than they do now, and it was still abnormally large at almost 400 cards. You then add the timeshifted sheet.

It's not really fair to compare the memorable cards of the Time Spiral block to a more modern design. If you were to tear Time Spiral apart and use it's cards to design a 240 card set while maintaining the same average card quality, you wouldn't end up with a better set.

People need to remember that the NWO, a direct response to Time Spiral, strictly concerns the effect that rarity distribution has on casual and limited play. The reason Time Spiral made so many players hate the game was not because competitive players didn't find it interesting, it was because people cracking packs to play against their neighbors had a shitty experience.

You can improve the kitchen table without harming the enfranchised players. You just have to give up your expectation that the game will not have chaff, while realizing that the game has ALWAYS had chaff.
>>
>>48663071
>>48663331
Did you play during it, or do you look back at all the cool callbacks to parts of Magic History you never actually got to experience?
There was a huge dip during Time Spiral/Lorwyn. Time Spiral had way too many keywords and was a mechanical clusterfuck. It's why NWO is a thing. Even the commons were complicated.

When you tell me you want everything like the set that pushed more people away from Magic, that tells me you don't actually understand the game. They also constantly take risks that pay off (and then there's Megamorph).

>>48663744
It's not just the rarity design. It's the fact that it had a ton of mechanics, with no real sense of cohesion.
Also, it did cause a dip in competitive Standard.
>>
>>48654413
>That would actually be cool. I bet Bolas is seeing them team up and assembling planeswalkers and going "W-well I have one of those, too!"
He does and he did way before the stupid Gatecrash.
Bolas has been collecting muderhobos since the mending. But whatever WotC can't write and retcons shit like it's a sport. Sure we'll have the evil league of evil directly inspired by the awe-inspiring Planeswalkers of the Gatewatch (tm), and it'll have Ob and Nahiri working together because fuck you for reading and actually remembering previous articles.
>>
>>48654093

Lorwyn Block had plenty of calm shit as magic cards.

Like Footbottom Feast, Boggart Birth Rite, and Tarfire.
>>
File: IKNOWTHETRUTHANDITISLAMPS.png (276KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IKNOWTHETRUTHANDITISLAMPS.png
276KB, 480x480px
>>48644798
My nigger.
>>
>>48644798
I cut up the one we had at work and threw it in the dumpster.
>>
>>48641407
Hopefully red will get more power all around with instants and creatures. I bet green will be boring this time around with its typical artifact destruction and "dig for stuff" cards. I really hope we're done with all the black -x/-x kill cards too.

I kind of want to see the Leonin creature type come back seeing they're often relevant with artifacts or equipment.
>>
>>48654093
When I was a kid, I fucking hated the Weatherlight and wanted more lore sets with cool worlds. This actually never happened between Homelands and fucking Mirrodin. I then proceeded to miss Wizards actually doing this in the 2000s. Feels bad.

Gatewatch is gay Weatherlight 2.0 shit.
>>
>>48664912
What murderhobos has he got, other than Tezzy?

>>48665119
Yes, but the overwhelming majority of cards are and always have been some type of violence.

>>48665259
So brave.

>>48665442
Oh shut up. The Gatewatch has existed for all of two blocks.
>>
>>48665718
Tezzeter, Sarkhan, Ramaz, Liliana, Baltrice, Jace. Plus non walkers like Yasova and Tetsuo, Rakka Mar, Malfegor, etc.
Bolas has been assembling teams to do shit and acting through agents as long as he has been a character.

Right now he still has at least Ramaz and Tezzeret, and probably Baltrice. It wouldn't be out of character for him to aproach Sorin with promises of kicking Emrakul out of Innistrad and revenge againt Ugin for lying about the indestructability of eldrazi titans.
>>
>>48665855
Sarkhan isn't working for Bolas, and neither are Liliana and Jace. I don't really know the others.
>>
>>48644901
Christ, /tg/ scares me sometimes
>>
>>48666212
They all were, read nigga read.
>Right now he STILL has at least Ramaz and Tezzeret, and probably Baltrice.
>>
>>48654861
Complete with Elven Ebonics.
>>
>wizards sees flaw in that cards are too complex for new players
>removes core sets, giving new players no place to start.
Face it. Removing core sets was just a move to sell more packs and sell more gatewatch.
>>
>>48662408
>In all of these sets, "something notable" definitely happened
I thought the beginning of this was we wanted a set where an apocalypse was being thwarted. Which really does get tiring after a while.
>>
>>48666443
Yes, they were. They're not anymore. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm pointing out that those are not exactly useful for his legion of doom if he can't keep them around, and a significant portion are now working against him.

>>48666717
>Removing core sets was just a move to sell packs
So they should just keep printing those core sets that don't really serve a purpose?

>>48666952
I didn't say every set has to be the apocalypse. I just said that we won't get a set where nothing big happens or the events are all localized. You won't get a set of
>Just give me a set of wizards, artificers and adventurers seeking fame, power, wealth, glory or a combination of those.
>>
>>48667002
No, what I'm saying is the original complaint was the frequency of apocalypse scenarios, and then someone pointed out the sets that didn't revolve around that kind of scenario.
>>
>>48667060
I just listed the original complaint.>>48653875
To which I replied with >>48654413
And then >>48655664 misunderstood me and listed a bunch of planes where we saw them at "business as usual", though I disagree with that statement for the planes I'm familiar with. All the planes I'm aware of have been visited at a time of upheavel and change and generally war or at the very least faction battles and chaos.

Something notable definitely happened.
>>
>>48641407
RU Artifact legend

If only so people will stop asking for it.
>>
>>48643843
How do you kill someone who died already and is as dead as anything can be in magic canon
>>
>>48641407
I just want it to be a gatewatch free block. Any other character returning is fine but not any of them for now.
>>
>>48649086
>magic canon
>relevant at this point
Since they basically retconned most of the Justice league's story before they became the justice league I can't find a reason for wizards not to bring Yawgmoth back.
I mean most of the newer players propably haven't even heard of him before, except maybe for those that own a copy of Urborg and WotC is clearly catering to these newer players
>>
>>48663331
yeah well you can understand why WotC don't partcularly care for your opiniion then.
>>
File: Givin some bitch a crown.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Givin some bitch a crown.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>48665153
Glad you liked it. Grabbed one of those lanterns, too; also got a crown from the upcoming Conspiracy prerelease. It was a bitch to assemble, but it looks fantastic.
>>
>>48662652
Missed my chance to grab that, actually. I assembled one though; they should be light enough that string and some good tape will keep it up. Have you tried frog tape?
>>
To the people saying that red will get good shit in Kaladesh:

Did black get good shit in the SoI block? You know, the block set in the plane that's all about black shit?
>>
>>48655759
>a planeswalker devastates an entire plane and puts the multiverse itself at risk because of a stupid misunderstanding that nobody manages to clear up

The entire conflict was an oldwalker pissing match, and it is completely in character for two oldwalkers to do shit like that.

The multiverse wasn't at risk, by the way. New planes are born all the time, the Eldrazi take long enough with the planes they impact, and they impact only one at a time, that there's no chance they'd be capable of actually destroying enough to make a dent.
>>
>>48655759
>>48668311
This. I actually enjoy the Nahiri-Sorin shitshow because both of them are fucking giant morons having a pissing match as though they're still gods playing with chess pieces. This is pre-Mending MtG through and through.

Urza did worse shit than Nahiri on a regular basis, solely for the purpose of tearing Phyrexia a new asshole. Even then, his primary motivation for fucking up Phyrexia was because of the shit it did to his brother. Urza was never a hero, he was just a villain pointed in the direction of a bigger villain.
>>
File: 1423309033357.png (22KB, 377x326px) Image search: [Google]
1423309033357.png
22KB, 377x326px
>Ok, here's your UR artifact legendary
>Oh, you wanted it to be a halfway decent commander?
>Well, you should have been more clear!
>>
>>48668374
Ishkanah makes me want to commit violent things upon whomever designed it.
>>
>>48668343
>Urza was never a hero
True
>he was just a villain pointed in the direction of a bigger villain
False. Urza was deeply flawed and made many mistakes but was by no means evil.
He often just acted without thinking and dragged the peole around down with him.
He didn't destroy Serra's realm, or even wanted to harm it but he's still responsible for it's destruction.
The good/bad white/black concept may be applicable to rhe new walkers but older mtg lore is way more complex in it's morality.
>>
>>48668396
New lore is full of white-is-evil black-is-good nonsense.

See Liliana being the 'hero' of EMN that was able to resist Emrakul and defend the rest of the Gatewatch.
See Avacyn and the Lunarchs both devolving into insanity.
See Heliod on Theros being the biggest scumbag to ever scum.
See literally all of the white guilds on Ravnica being the most horrific guilds in a variety of different ways.

'White is bad' is far more pervasive than 'black is good.' But almost every block has at least one or two examples of 'white is bad.'
>>
>>48668422
>that was able to resist Emrakul and defend the rest of the Gatewatch
Were you reading the same story? Emrakul wasn't even trying, she was just being. She said so herself.
>>
>>48654301
>Shiva
>Not WU
Plus Kali is already Mardu and it fits her so much better than Shiva.
>>
>>48668513
Sure and a disgusting, foul neckbeard can just 'be' in your presence and just exist without doing anything - but you still need to resist the temptation to gag when you smell his cheeto-musk.

Emrakul doesn't need to do anything, you need to resist her as a default or succumb to the insanity she passively radiates. Plus, the raving cultists that she drove insane certainly were doing shit even if Emrakul herself wasn't.
>>
>>48663961
That really was not the sort of major dip in competitive Standard that you can call nearly killing the game. Which isn't to say Time Spiral was a great set, even if I personally loved it, it was deeply flawed.

But I really don't think it was one of those periods that can be called nearly killing the game. Urza, Mirrodin, Scars. Those yeah, those really did to varying degrees of success nigh kill the game.
>>
>>48667002
>don't serve a purpose
Keep good for the meta cards in standard that don't fit into the flavor of the blocks available, give new players somewhere to start where there's no complex cards or keywords and nearly everything has reminder text (even flying), prevents $500 standard by reprinting good cards at common, generally gives a face to each year of magic and allows them to make whatever story or meta they want which I guess they really could use to sell more gatewatch, but I guess not.
Also, removing core sets was part of the 2 set block shift which ruined drafting. (1 of large set, then 2of the small set, making the end 2/3 of draft horrendously repetitive.)
>>
>>48668422
>See Heliod on Theros being the biggest scumbag to ever scum.
The entire setting of theros was basically complete before they even started because of the mythology thing. Heliod is Zeus, and Zeus is an asshole.
>>
>>48668422
>White guilds are most horrific
>Boros is worse than Rakdos
>>
>>48668955
An organized para-military group with the slogan 'police brutality is best brutality' combined with fire and lightning magic is much more terrifying than stereotypical-demon-cult.
>>
>>48668971
What kind of stereotypical demon cult works to PREVENT the demon from waking up?
>>
>>48668955
Azorius is a bureaucracy that actively want thing to be as slow as possible, how is that not horrific?
Have you never watch The Twelve Tasks of Asterix?
>>
>>48669005
>Have you never watch The Twelve Tasks of Asterix?
You can't expect people to remember that one in 2016 anon. I remember, but to millenials you are a dinosaur.
>>
File: en_vpvtSxqjtz.png (194KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_vpvtSxqjtz.png
194KB, 265x370px
I hate how wizards has to dumb down all the sets and scrap mechanics because of NWO and all this crap for the sake of new players.

Weren't we all, at some point, new players who had to learn the game and mechanics? I feel that if someone loves playing magic enough they'll learn all the intricacies of the game and strive to get better and improve their game play and understand rule interactions.
>>
>>48669163
But I'm born in 1990, I'm a millenial too.
>>
>>48668422
I wasn't talking about actual colors though, but morality.
Look at the gatewatch. wotc wants to establish them as the protagonists, heroes of the storyline and face of the franchise so they have to be distinctively good and fight an evil antagonist. morally they're white (good) while their antagonists are evil (black) or at least portrayed as such. nothing in between.
already established characters and their actions (feud between Sorin and Nahiri for example) are morally grey (neither good nor bad) since none of them are actual heroes. it's hard or near impossible to determine whether they do the right thing or not. Ugin or Tamiyo would be other good examples. they just do their thing and don't jump into stupid fights they aren't related to.
I mean what reason did the gatewatch have to kill Ulamog and Kozilek and follow Emrakul to Innistrad to fight her? except for Nissa none of them had anything to do with Zendikar or Innistrad. They do it because they are the good guys and guardians of the multiverse.
>>
>>48669217
Then say the established phrase of 'black-and-white morality' instead of 'good/bad white/black' which could easily be misconstrued.
>>
>>48669191
You are thousand-year old news anon, the sooner you accept it the better.
>>
>>48669173

I get that they need to walk a fine line between dangling some complexities in front of new players so they have something to strive for, while making sure the game doesn't seem too daunting. It just feels to me they have dumbed things down a little bit too much. The fact they completely axed Shroud in place of Hexproof is still a sore point for me.

They're not even consistent in their reasoning sometimes either.

>We're going to cut Protection because it's a complicated mechanic that new players don't understand
>Except we'll still let some specific rares and mythics have it, because making a misunderstood mechanic less common isn't going to exacerbate the problem or anything
>>
>>48669173
true.
I actively started playing in november last year
by the time feburary came I knew how the stack works, how to respond correctly and how to time it and even read up phasing and banding.
>>
>>48669227
my bad. I thought i was clear enough when writing it but i get how someone can misunderstand it.
>>
File: it-will-happen-to-you_o_3337427.jpg (64KB, 499x377px) Image search: [Google]
it-will-happen-to-you_o_3337427.jpg
64KB, 499x377px
>>48669240
So it finally happened, damn.
>>
>>48669005
>Asterix
mah nigga, I have all of those comics

>a bureaucracy that actively want thing to be as slow as possible, how is that not horrific?
it isn't if you are used to it. I live in Germany and the bureucracy here is terrible.
>>
>>48641407
I want to see a bang load of good equipment for a change.

I want to see BR, UB, RG, WU, WG swords.
>>
kaladesh looks comfy
>>
>>48641407
Cute brown girls
>>
>>48644798
Now she'll be watching you jerk off, Anon
>>
>>48662408
That's extrapolated from a Planechase card, so it might not be true. In any case, it doesn't work in reverse or apply to summoned creatures, since it's established that Segovian creatures have enormously deflated stats.
>>
>>48669409

I'd like to see good equipment too. We're definitely not going to see any Swords though. I suspect we won't see any ally colored Swords until we return to New Phyrexia.

Given the previous form of Artifact based blocks (Urza, Mirrodin, Scars) I'm just hopeful it's another high power level block. Since Khans the power level of sets has seemed to be on the low end of the scale, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm hoping this isn't a permanent trend.
>>
>>48669614
I'd say the Shadows block is pretty high powered. We got quite a few really nice and playable cards. I just have a feeling that Kaladesh won't be high powered. I can just hope for some nice artifacts. We'll just have to wait and see.
>>
>>48654464
>needing to relate to villains
Why can't a monster just be a monster? I'm so tired of misunderstood bad guys who are just a product of their environment.
>>
>>48669675
Playable for a low-powered standard.

The two viable decks in standard right now are CoCo and Emrakul decks that directly counter CoCo.
>>
>>48669802
Did you not see the ProTour last night? BW Control absolutely swept.
>>
>>48656075
raven man looks like odin...in that he is a beguiling magical old man with crows

although i guess he has two eyes
>>
>>48669802
Nahiri
Avacyn
Abbey
Anguished Unmaking
Olivia
Dec in Stone
Sigarda
Relentless Dead
Alrinn
Tireless Tracker
Gitrog
Liliana
Spell Queller
Brisela
Emrakul
Eldritch Evolution
Sigarda's Aid
Thalia
Tamiyo
Grim Flayer
Ishkanah
Elder Deep Fiend
Decimator
Eternal Scourge
>>
>>48670009
I missed last night's but I did see it before that and CoCo and Gx Emrakul crushed all opposition.
>>48670281
I'm talking decks, not individual cards, many of which there do not see play. In fact, many of the ones you listed are awful.
>>
>>48649889
Fuck off
>>
>>48668396
Urza, I feel, is actually a huge success on WotC's part for showing what would happen if a mortal were given the power of a god, yet still be powerless to change the thing he's most obsessed about. Urza was already pretty detached and aloof and unfeeling, but becoming a planeswalker shot that up to 11.
>>
>>48670313
Neah. It's all in how you use them. If you think any single card I just mentioned is aweful, then you don't build your own decks l, or not good ones at least. Each of those cards are pretty damn useful in the right deck and can make or break a game.

And what block makes for a "powerhouse decks" that only consist of block constructed decks? Saying a block isn't powerful just because you can't make non-standard competitive decks from that block alone is dumb. Name one deck in modern or legacy that is competitive and block constructed. By your logic, no block ever made has a "high power level".
>>
>>48670514
Modern Infect comes close to that, with over half of its cards coming from SOM.

But the fact is that the dominant, format-warping card at the moment is CoCo. SoI has produced no cards to define or shape the format except for Emrakul so far, which is managing to counter CoCo.
>>
>>48670552
You think Emmy one of the cards that defines Standard? And seriously, who uses CoCo outside of Standard? Nahiri and Spell Queller are used pretty well in Modern now.
>>
>>48670552
But that's due to the warping influence the presence of CoCo has on Standard. It is not that the SoI block doesn't have power, its just that its eclipsed by the power black hole that Collected Company is.

Just wait for September if you don't believe me. I assure you SoI and specially EMN cards are going to be a lot more dominant at GP Kaladesh.
>>
>>48669249
>>48669252
>>48669173
>I hate how wizards has to dumb down all the sets and scrap mechanics because of NWO and all this crap for the sake of new players.
"Does it have to do with the complexity of commons? If not, it's not NWO".
Also, more often than not, they're also cutting down on complexity because Magic is already the most complex game there is, and cluttered, confusing board states are bad for expert players as well.
Also, making mechanics that aren't byzantine and obfuscating is how you get MORE people who are interested in learning the intricacies of the game.

You're literally asking why Wizards doesn't make their game harder to get into and wondering why the company would do the opposite. If you people got to be King for a Day, you'd bankrupt the company.

>The fact they completely axed Shroud in place of Hexproof is still a sore point for me.
That's not even because of complexity (though it is more complex). It's because Shroud *feels* worse to play. Protection isn't cut because of complexity, it's cut because it's less fun. It's at higher rarities (and rarely colours) because it should be rare. If I'm playing against RDW and I drop down a playset of Johnny Mountainwalkers, we're not interacting. We're just masturbating and seeing who can climax first. Loser eats the soggy biscuit and gets to go first in round two.

And regardless, putting confusing mechanics at common won't make them easier to understand or solve some problem. It'll just mean it comes up more often. They put NWO in place for a reason.

So many people complain about Magic's changes and why they do this or that without actually *understanding* why they've changed something. Which is weird, considering both the Mothership and MaRo's blog explain why they change things.
>>
>>48669173
What does the acronym NWO stand for? I keep seeing it recently. Is it "New Wizards Order"?
>>
>>48673518
New World Order.
It means "let's keep commons from being too complex".
>>
>>48673615
>you will never see a complex common printed again for as long as MaRo is alive
>>
>>48673662
>Implying this is a bad thing
If the game was run by the people in M/tg/ threads, they would drive it into the ground and hate it themselves.
>>
>>48673242

Saying NWO only effects complexity at common is misleading. It effects complexity across the board because commons are no longer allowed to be complex. The complexity of a set can't just poof, otherwise it wouldn't be draftable to any satisfactory amount. Uncommon and Rare get to try and make up for the complexity void left by commons being simple. Which is how we get the backslide of premium removal becoming rare. Instead of removal being common and uncommon it's now uncommon and rare.

And despite NWO being only about common complexity, it is generally used as a term to describe modern design sensibilities. So when Maro tries to correct people on what NWO is he's being as dense as when he tries to correct people on what Draw Go is. The term isn't being used by the public in the same way it's being used by Wizards. That is an issue.
>>
>>48676081
>Which is how we get the backslide of premium removal becoming rare
Yes, three words is soooo fucking complex.
>>
>>48676081
>Saying NWO only effects complexity at common is misleading.
That is literally from MaRo's tumblr. MaRo gets to correct people on NWO because *it is literally his thing*.

>>48676187
>>48676081
>Which is how we get the backslide of premium removal becoming rare. Instead of removal being common and uncommon it's now uncommon and rare.
This has zero to do with complexity. It has to do with altering the tempo of the game. It has to do with making things more or less powerful. It has to do with tweaking the game for sealed formats. It's not even something that effects constructed players to begin with.

The issue here--throughout your post and the rest of the thread and *all* of these threads--is that you don't understand why Wizards does what they do. Criticize it all you want, complain, bitch, say what you'd do, whatever. But I'd really be less frustrated seeing these threads if they didn't all seem to come from people who have no understanding of why the things they hate are done.
>>
>>48666483
>Nissa don't quiv.
>You see, Dawn. Nissa - she nasty.
>Dawn hope Lawn don't say nuts nasty.
>Nuts nasty.
>>
nwo is bullshit it's not even about complexity it's about penny pinching and powerlevel control.
How the fuck is destroy target creature opponent loses 2 life you gain 2 life 6cmc? Because it's common? But "destroy target creature" at a reasonable mana cost and suddenly it's a rare?
It's all fucking bullshit. You get a relevant effect on a cheap creature it's a rare. But put that effect on a common and suddenly it has to cost 5+.
How is that even balance? It's blatant money grubbing.
>>
>>48645834
>Gods
Artifact unless devotion then god
>>
>>48662161
He was, tetsuo had to destroy Bolas' body and then 1v1 him in his meditation realm
Tetsuo was just that good.
>>
>>48677429
I'm remembering Mistborn, and Spook's weird fantasy Cockney.

>>48677502
STOP
BEING
WRONG
We get it, you're an idiot and you don't know how the game works or what things are. Stop being wrong. Don't be a fucking idiot. Learn. Or shut the fuck up and quit whining.

Also stop acting like Wizards controls the secondary market.
>>
>>48641407
1. I want to see all the Gatewatch lined up in India town square and shot

2. I want WotC to print cards that actually favor strategies other than "midrange value grind the movie the format"

3. Reprints would be cool

4. No fucking Eldrazi on the plane I swear to god

5. Focus on making cool and fun spells instead of fucking creatures

6. Preferably interesting and unique mechanics

I know I'm likely to receive absolutely zero of these requests and standard will continue to be midrange value grind the format and you'll have to buy the new 150$ forced mythic rare to keep up with the format
>>
>>48678549
Creatures could be cool and fun, if this was Duel Masters instead of MtG. MtG's base mechanics are total garbage.
>>
>>48641407
-Boros getting a commander that doesn't attack to win. A burn commander or a damage redirect commander would be nice. Like a RW Cleric of some sort.
-Red having some sort of value draw that lowers your maximum hand size after using it.
-Hint at Phyrexians returning...I'd love to see Phyrexians vs Eldrazi at some point (not lore wise but in decks)
-Mardu commanders.
-Some instant that makes Kaho, Minamo Historian actually fun to run.
-More stuff like "Battle the Hydra" I WANT RP CAMPAIGNS DAMN IT.
-Horde Magic support.
-Something that makes Mono Red or Mono White more playable outside of a few commanders (Krenko and whatever White runs)
-Spells which change effect or are bolstered depending on the colors of other spells played during that turn.
>>
>>48678680
Creatures are cool and fun.

>>48678908
>-Red having some sort of value draw that lowers your maximum hand size after using it.
Oh God that sounds terrible, why
>>
>>48680219
>>48678908

How about symmetrical card draw that also lowers every player's maximum hand size?
>>
>>48678680
Why is DM so good and magic so shit when it comes to creatures?
>>
>>48641407
man, getting that dumbass gold thing on and off each morning must be a pain in the ass
does it have hinges or clips or something
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.