[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, if I wanted to run a campaign set during the American Civil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg (908KB, 2364x3000px) Image search: [Google]
William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg
908KB, 2364x3000px
/tg/, if I wanted to run a campaign set during the American Civil War, how would I go about it? I'd appreciate ideas for a historical campaign or a steampunk one. I'm thinking a good stealth campaign could be made of being slaves, with that transitioning into straight military action after they enlist in the United States Colored Troops.
>>
File: Gods and Generals.webm (3MB, 950x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gods and Generals.webm
3MB, 950x400px
>>48600111
Playing guerillas/bushwackers would give your characters the chance to act pretty independently without being confined by the strictures of a regular army. That can bog down military themed RPGs, but if your team is riding with Quantrill or Forrest or whoever then things will be more flexible.

You could probably use a Wild West-themed system of some sort to capture the right period feel.

Here's some reference material anyway.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
>>
>>48600137
Thanks. I'm rethinking the slave campaign idea. I probably shouldn't run something like that given I and my players are all white.
>>
>>48601343
I think having your all white group play black slaves could be a very fun and interesting roleplaying challenge de.su.
>>
>>48600111
we played a mini-campaign some times ago at my LGS. it was NWoD with a wereworl, 2 vampire medics and a promethean, tracking a mage BBEG spy/saboteur. It was fun as hell.

Also, i'm a huge fan of superpowered war like Godlike
>>
>>48600111
That depends, do your players want to play the North or South?
>>
>>48601486
We live in North Carolina, but we're probably not going to play as the people who fought to own slaves. We aren't that sort of southerner.
>>
File: civil_war.jpg (167KB, 679x608px) Image search: [Google]
civil_war.jpg
167KB, 679x608px
>>48602201
There were guerillas throughout the South who fought against the CSA for various reasons, especially round the Appalachian hills. That could make for an interesting small unit warfare campaign.

Your Underground Railroad campaign could work really well, but seem like one of those high school history projects you'd get in a textbook, or one of the Bully Pulpit games with their emphasis on the feels rather than the gaming.

Other ideas that come to mind could be a commerce raiding naval game, or perhaps playing skirmishers/sharpshooters in one of the great armies - basically Sharpe in the ACW.

Have you done any research on your own area? Perhaps you could set a campaign in your own backyard.
>>
>>48602201
>not flying the glorious confederate battle standard to signal your defiance of those self-righeous Northen agressors
Shitty campaign
>>
>>48602201
>slave owners are all ebil traitors

What's that, like less than 2% of the south's white population? Hell, free blacks were more likely to own slaves, per capita.

Never mind that none of the CSA leaders were ever charged with treason.

Why not play as the descendants of Scots fighting against a tyrannical federal government, led by a dictator who suspends habeus corpus in order to dramatically expand federal power over the states?

There's more to the south than the antebellum cliche of columned mansions and clark gable
>>
File: 1458580106241.jpg (527KB, 2000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1458580106241.jpg
527KB, 2000x1050px
>>48600111
>The party are Union special forces in the US Civil War, tasked with infiltrating the CSA government and investigating their Occult Division before they make a breakthrough.

You can swap the sides too, if your party is a fan of being disgusting traitors. I suppose it would be interesting to see your players succeed, but have the war be lost anyway.

A shame. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
>>
>>48602328
>Never mind that none of the CSA leaders were ever charged with treason.

To be fair, the reason they did this was because they were afraid John C. Calhoun would actually convince a jury that secession was legal, as he was a master orator and actually pretty respected across the country in many circles.
>>
>>48603168
>being disgusting traitors
We're a country founded by traitors, Anon
People who didn't like their current rule and wanted out. The South was willing to do it peacefully, but there was a reason it was known down here as "The War of Northern Agression".
>>
>>48603753
Any of the words not greentexted in that post were intended to be tongue-in-cheek. It's the game suggestion that mattered to me more, as if I wanted an argument over who was correct in the Civil War I'd go to /his/.
>>
>>48603702
>cant be charged with treason because you where right and if brought before a court might just undo years of war
>>
>>48605183
welcome to politics, especially when shit tons of people have already died and large stretches of land are still partly on fire.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.