[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just asking for honest opinions. I'm going to be running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: icantintoperspective.jpg (335KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
icantintoperspective.jpg
335KB, 1280x960px
Just asking for honest opinions.

I'm going to be running a sandbox campaign that takes place in small 10(ish) mile wide area, I just want to know if these ideas are lame or not and if so, how can I improve upon them.

-Ancient Dwarf Civilization completely wiped out by cosmic horror, the memories and egos of them preserved within a magical artifact deep within their kingdom that was originally intended to protect their souls from the cosmic horror. Their scholars completely misunderstood the nature of being (the soul isn't real in this setting) and instead, robbed everyone of their "souls", slowly turning them into misshapen and loathsome crawling shoggoths.

Valley settled by humans a few centuries later, Menhir (see what I did there?) basically a ye old fantasy Celt/Norwegian settled the western reaches of the valley, flourished for a bit, but after a century of succession squabbles and extreme isolationism, the kingdom collapsed and the descendants have regressed to warring clans of totem worshiping druids and barbarians.

There are goblinoids, although they are hardy, lithe, intelligent but highly xenophobic and have an expressed desire to remain left alone. They are excellent hunters and crafters,

There's also a time-traveling Warlock that serves the cosmic horror, he started ruling a little after Menhir's time (he's also a direct descendant) he serves the cosmic horror, although its wishes still remain vague to him, aspects of his being are fractured and have been codified by Menhir's descendants into a value system (I'm also shamelessly ripping off Ultima)

I dunno, I should be sleeping, that's just some of it so far.
>>
I'd be tempted to redraw these as some high-detail maps. I've been having a urge to try to do some artwork for a while.

my main thought is that passes are not at the high-point of a hill... they're at the low point between two hills...
>>
A 10 mile area is ridiculously small for a sandbox campaign.
>>
>>48601597
This. You've got to make it way bigger if you don't want the party walking from one side to the other in less than a day.

For reference, a typical hex in an old-school sandbox was 24 miles across IIRC.
>>
>>48601706
>>48601597
Hexcrawls are silly in my opinion, I'm just thinking of a small non-linear adventure in a fully articulated area.
>>
>>48601542
Not gonna speak for OP but i think its a good idea

>>48599526
so if your whole game is based around a single village that the players are a part of that might work, instead of traveling from inn to inn they have set up shop here.

I agree with everyone else, increase the size a bit
>>
>>48603145
I think 10 miles wide is just fine, the way most travel is done these days is simply having the DM wave his or her hands and be done with it. A smaller, detailed approach would be kind of neat, remember that if you reduce the game to dungeon scale/real time rp, 10 miles across is huge.
>>
>>48603196
Why would you make a thread asking for opinions and then just flagrantly not take any of them into consideration?

Also, it's not much of a sandbox campaign if you just handwave travel.
>>
>>48603917
Because he's doing it for ego stroking.
>>
>>48604026
No, I honestly don't see the point of putting large tracts of land between adventure locations when the actual travelling is downplayed or made into an abstract mini-game.
>>
>>48603917
So far, it's only been about the size of the world. I've also made a vast, interconnected underworld/megadungeon. I'm sorry if I seem callous, I've taken the scale into consideration and I just don't agree with starting with a large world.
>>
>>48604359
>actual travelling is downplayed or made into an abstract mini-game

Where are you even getting this from? If it's downplayed, it's only because you as the GM has decided it's like that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.