[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is going to be a strange question, but is there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: dd-1978-2[1].jpg (626KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dd-1978-2[1].jpg
626KB, 1024x1024px
I know this is going to be a strange question, but is there any where or place I can read or watch stories about people playing D&D in the 70s and 80s, maybe early 90s?

I don't know what it is, but I'm just fascinated by technology and games from back then. Like how different it is from today.
>>
I've been playing since 1983. Not sure what you are really asking my youngling friend. The only difference for me is I print off PDFs rather then buy modules at Dream Wizards.

I still play AD&D with the same dice, same (abet older friends), same minis and paper and pencils.
>>
>>48573296
Not really. There's some shit on youtube, but there's no proper documentary or anything with old players/GMs/game creators being interviewed beyond some basic Gygax stuff.

From personal experience, (although everyone's differs), it was more of a game and less of a group roleplay jerk-off session. No one gave a fuck about your tragic backstory or the character's raison d'etre because the dungeon was a fucking meatgrinder and you were going into it to steal dank treasure and maybe fuck up a dragon.

I wish I had people that were down to play OSR.
>>
>>48576522

Back story was simple and accurate we were desperate low level adventurers hungry for gold and glory. In a medieval society there are basically two ways for non-nobility to get rich. War and adventuring.
>>
>>48573296
I play in two groups, one that plays OSR or some weird amalgamation of B/X AD&D 1E and the other does FATE and other new stuff.

Honestly, I can't say it's much different. We all still crack jokes (in-game mostly), same snacks. Only difference is that the latter group occasionally has their phones out while the other group builds dice towers when things are slow.
>>
>>48576692
>weird amalgamation of B/X AD&D 1E

Your GM is wise.

Homeruled OSR is the best kind.
>>
>>48576476
>Not sure what you are really asking my youngling friend
Actually, not all too young, but I didn't get into it until well after 2000. I've just been going back and thinking about all the things I missed.

As for what I want, just stories. People talking about it. The attitude. What was expected of you. What wasn't. What the "that guys" were like back then. Etc.

For reference, I think what I'm kind of looking for is maybe something in the spirit of the "Get Lamp" documentary.
>>
>>48573296
Shit man, look at your picture. If you want to simulate D&D in the 80s, get AD&D and some Tab (which they still sell, shit's gross). Other than that it's all the same.
>>
>>48576571
>In a medieval society there are basically two ways for non-nobility to get rich. War and adventuring.
You've misspelled "trading and priesthood"

And morons like you are the main reason why D&D never went past the early 80s "kill everything and claim loot" as the reason why the game should be even played.
>>
>>48581816
>win your fortune buy entering a monastery for ten years and learning a trade!
I foresee problems selling this to my gaming group.
>>
>>48583588
It was possible to leave a monastery or priesthood. Frowned upon but possible.

Also, and this used to be a popular thing to do all the way up till very recent times, going in for priest training and then dropping out just before taking vows. Half the children in my dad's class did that for the free college education.
>>
>>48583588
Then stop playing with murderhobos
>>
1980s D&D radio show pilot (actual play session supposedly not scripted)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3607-Listen-To-This-1980s-D-D-Radio-Show-Pilot
>>
>>48583894

Yes you and your group are having bad wrong fun! There is only one proper way to play tabletop RPGs!
>>
>>48581816
>kill everything and claim loot
You clearly haven't played old school D&D. It was about claiming loot, but fighting was dangerous and often you wanted to run away or hide.

Also, it is perfectly fine for it to be a game centered around two types of things:

>Dungeons (dangerous places of adventure)
and
>Dragons (horrible monsters to be overcome through battle or trickery)

That's the point of the fucking game. If you don't like it, play something else, but it isn't inferior just because it's made for a specific kind of adventure-oriented gameplay.
>>
Not so much "playing the game", but keep an eye out on the games section of your local second-hand bookstores. One of mine endef up with several years' worth of White Dwarf, Ares and other old fanzines. The commentary therein sheds light on game design and philosophy in that era, plus it's fun to see some names dropped who eventually made it big.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.