[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>playing dwarf fortress >looking across map >dwarf has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 42

File: dwarfsx0.jpg (7KB, 211x228px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfsx0.jpg
7KB, 211x228px
>playing dwarf fortress
>looking across map
>dwarf has been stranded for days after building workshop
>I just noticed
>drop EVERYTHING
>execute an immediate emergency rescue
>digging through layer after later of sediment to get to him
>he dies RIGHT as someone gets to him from starvation
>dog assigned to him goes to his corpse and stays beside it
>"it has started raining" says the game

Holy christ dwarf fortress I wasn't ready for those feels. I couldn't save him anon.

Tell me more dwarf fortress stories /tg/, it's my birthday.
>>
>>48517301
>playing dwarf fortress for the first time
>jesus fuck what is with all these menus
>stop and read the wiki for about a day
>come back, set up basic farms, have dwarves live aboveground like humans
>hey check this out I can smooth stone now
>get invaded by goblins, lose only carpenter , only miner and only grower
>miner manages to cut all ten gobbos down before succumbing to his wounds despite not having a single combat stat
>watch all of my best dwarves bleed out on the soil
>ragequit

I'm still not very good at dwarf fortress.
>>
>>48517461
>first megaproject
>divert river and farm it for energy using half-map sized waterwheel getup
>everythings all set up, pull lever
>mechanism jams for some reason
>wiki search ho!
>after about an hour notice there's some other crap blocking the floodgate
>send a dwarf down to deconstruct the floodgate
>didn't think this one through
>dwarf drowns, water gets unleashed, power starts coming in
>fps drops wreck my game
>>
>>48517461
You can assign duties to each dwarf and as long as you have the tools they will do their best attempt to do it.
>>
>>48517301
is there like a cheat sheet for working this game's piece of shit UI?
>>
>>48517630
Yeah, I didn't know that at the time. I've gotten a lot better now, just not what you would call 'good' at the game.
>>
>>48517657
Just read it until you memorize it. It doesn't take that long.
>>
>>48517571
>new game, avoiding waterwheels
>military screen gets introduced
>okay, I just need to figure this out
>set squads of two until I figure out the commands
>training goes well until it comes to marksdwarves
>lazy food thief just stares at the target and does weapons drills all day
>check inventory
>crossbow, full stack of wooden bolts
>fuck man just pull the trigger
>fuck

Several hours and pages later on the wiki, I get the dwarf training like he should.
>>
>>48517461
It's okay Anon, no one is good at Dwarf Fortress. It's a lot like walking; you're basically falling forward in a somewhat controlled fashion until something decides to cock it all up.

>playing dwarf fortress
>embarked on an evil biome, gonna bathe my dwarves in blood n' shit
>no aquifer, plenty metal, plenty soil
>disgonbegood.gif
>things going well for a while; husks are damn scary and damn tough
>lose fucktons of dwarves to attrition, atomsmash the corpses for insurance purposes
>magma forges are set up, time to git gud and wreck some undead business
>all of a sudden, the largest horde I've ever seen bumrushes the fortress outta nowhere.
>they're inside in no time, gangraping my poor farmers
>GODNOPLEASE.gif
>Seal the inner fortress
>Like a boon from Armok, the excavation of the magma sea has revealed GLORIOUS CANDY!
>First swing of a pick reveals something marvelous... a circus!
>Trapped between mad clowns and the undead husks, I made the only reasonable decision an overseer could...
>I opened the gates.

And so my fortress fell to ruin. But a most spectacular ruin it was!
>>
>>48517678
Nobody is "good" at DF. It ends in fire and tears... or housecats.
>>
I was just playing this.
>weremarmot attacks
>soldiers put it down but one gets infected
>infected soldier transforms, bites bookkeeper before being put down
>build a wall around bookkeeper while he's eating
>around this time, dwarves start turning up dead with their blood drained
>get tired of getting messages when weremarmot transforms, channel an opening above him and send archers to kill him next time he does
>instead of shooting him, archers jump in and hit him with their bows, get murderized
>tantrum spiral begins
>while this is happening, necromancers must be sneaking around because everything in my refuse pile becomes undead
>glorious orgy of violence between tantruming dwarves and undead
>in the end, ~40 of the 60something dwarves are dead
>stop getting messages about the vampire, must've been one of the casualties
Success!
>>
>>48518215
That's not just success, that's !!Success!!
>>
>>48518215
>instead of shooting him, archers jump in and hit him with their bows, get murderized
Well at least I'm 100% sure you were playing Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>48517461
>>miner manages to cut all ten gobbos down before succumbing to his wounds despite not having a single combat stat
Mining skill was his combat skill.
>>
What game is this, what platform is it on, someone explain to me everything about this game.
I'm going to go Google it while one of you assholes explain.
>>
>>48519487
Dwarf Fortress is a part construction and management simulation, part roguelike, indie video game
>>
>>48517657
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/
Read the wiki
>>
>>48519487
Learn to love losing legendarily.
>>
>>48517571
>>48517742
You tried to divert a river before you understood the military?
>>
File: 1469026920289.jpg (18KB, 229x278px) Image search: [Google]
1469026920289.jpg
18KB, 229x278px
This happened a few months back.

>forgotten beast attacks
>a quadruped made of coral that spits webs
>cavern is sealed off
.>build a corridor of retracting iron spikes
>unseal the caverns
>beast walks into the corridor
>pull_the_lever_urist.gif
>spikes don't work
>forgot to link the spikes to the lever
>beast attacks fortress
>webs all the trained military dwarves
>kicks each one's head into gore while they're trapped in webs
>20 highly skilled military dwarves dead
>beast starts slaughtering helpless civilians
>almost 60 dwarves dead out of a fortress of 80 dwarves
>a lowly unskilled farmer manages to avoid the webs
>farmer kicks the forgotten beast's head off
>a farmer succeeded when all my trained warriors failed
>mfw
>>
>>48521176
Welcome to dwarf fortress, anon.

My second fortress I ragequit from after a dwarf went nuts from a fey mod and I couldn't get her some stove. Sher killed the whole militia, and I think died of starvation.
>>
>>48517828
you fookin wot m8?
>>
>>48517301

> Modded DF
>Fortress sieged by Goblins
> Hunter trapped outside, alone
> Hunter recruited in his own squad
> Hunter kills goblins with his crossbow
> Hunter finishes bolts, start beating goblins with his wooden crossbow
> Hunter destroys entire siege by himself, losing an eye and with his guts out
> Hunter survives, a dwarf fall in fell mood, kills Hunter and makes a crossbow out of him.
>>
>>48522158
>implying this isn't the dorf way

That crossbow will slay anything it's aimed at, so seething with rage it is
>>
>>48519487
Dwarf Fortress is a game where you try to herd a misfit bunch of alcoholic dwarves whose happiness depends entirely on whether they're seen a nice chair recently into building a functional, productive fortress. Excitement comes in the form of dwarves not doing what you tell them to, dwarves abandoning pulling a lever that will unleash a wave of magma to kill all of the goblin invaders to go eat some food, dwarves digging too deep and unleashing !!FUN!!, and dwarves throwing tantrums when they haven't see a nice chair recently, which will cause other dwarves to tantrum, thus throwing your entire fortress into chaos and starvation.

It is by far the best game ever made and you will love it.
>>
>>48522428
Tantrum spirals don't happen anymore desu, the eternal bar fight is something I see more often.
>>
>>48522825
i see random shit drop dad from alcohol poisoning before i see barfights that dont end...
>>
>>48522158
That last line made it hilarious to me.

Otherwise, that's a classic example of the crazy badass bullshit that DF can turn up.
>>
File: sipp.jpg (72KB, 354x356px) Image search: [Google]
sipp.jpg
72KB, 354x356px
>>48517657
Basically everything requires the 'q' key to operate unless it doesn't, but just knowing the 'q' key does a lot of stuff is enough to play. Also just figuring out which menus use arrow keys to scroll and which use - and +

A lot of learning the game is just playing it enough to the point where you have good muscle memory for the commands and just know what sequence of button presses will have a desired outcome.
>>
>>48517828
>no one is good at dwarf fortress
nice (you)
>>
>>48517828
>It's okay Anon, no one is good at Dwarf Fortress. It's a lot like walking
Son, I have some bad news about degenerative neural diseases.
>>
>>48517657

Hit space, press d then another letter, and hilight stuff.

Then hit escape and space again.

continue for 3 days before succumbing to dehydration.

Reincarnate, grow up, find out about Dwarf Fortress, go on 4chan and ask "is there a cheat sheet for working this game's peice of shit UI?"

Remember; Failure is Fun!
>>
>>48523308

more accurately - understanding that the tab button does this is neccesary to play, understind the d and q command ques and being able to quickly use them due to muscle memory are what you need to have a reasonable level of aptitude in the game, everything else if kinda a matter of wikibinging and trial and error, but those 3 are the core basis.

Also: if you have weregiraffes in your fortress, just rage quit first and save yourself the time as you pretty much won't be able to do anything but will instead no constantly get interrupted by a constant wave of migrants and weregiraffe hulkout murder sprees that in turn will lead to a constant swarm of ghosts stopping any survivors from ever being able to work long enough to deal with the ghosts.
>>
>>48519487
Quality post right here
>>
>>
File: championdeity.png (183KB, 1251x661px) Image search: [Google]
championdeity.png
183KB, 1251x661px
>>48522158

I have also this from 2 years ago, Masterwork DF
>>
>>48531007
>mastershit
>>
>Play Dwarf Fort
>Having fun
>Game lags to shit after a decade or two in game time
>Apply and unapply DFHack
>change and turn off variables for temperature, clothing, decay, weather, population caps, etc
>Change playstyle and focus entirely on clean maps
>Wait for newer versions of dwarf fort
>Play on newer tougher computers
>Embrace Zen Dwarfism of tinyfort tinymap nohistory minimalism
>Years of development come and go
>Still fucking nothing can extend the play time to an in game century
I'd absolutely love to play this game if such a thing were possible.
>>
File: 6Xlkjjn.png (214KB, 297x483px) Image search: [Google]
6Xlkjjn.png
214KB, 297x483px
>have a random yak without a partner that's getting pretty old
>line it up for slaughtering
>nobody does the command for ages
>catsplosion could be imminent
>might as well line a ton of cats for slaughtering before any of the dwarves adopt them as pets
>cat after cat go on the chopping block
>after the cat situation was assessed, at last the butcher goes for the yak
>it dies of starvation right before getting his turn at the butchery
And now I have a yak corpse stinking up the corpse stockpile.
>>
>>48532111
Wait, you can't butcher dead bodies in DF?
That seems weird.
>>
>>48532196
They'll only butcher domestic animals that have been slaughtered by your dwarves.
>>
>>48532258
Super dumb.
>>
>>48532196
That's why you mod in milkable and butcherable cowgirls.
>>
>>48532493
That is not my fetish.
>>
File: no more fun.png (89KB, 330x328px) Image search: [Google]
no more fun.png
89KB, 330x328px
>>48532493
ShindoL, we all know that's you. Stop trying to make Dwarf Fortress more fucked up than it already is.
>>
Getting back in to DF on a 32-bit potato with about 2GB of RAM. Wish me luck and may Armok grant me protection from FPS-death.
>>
>>48533360
I believe anon. You can do it.
>>
>>48531140
>Embrace Zen Dwarfism of tinyfort tinymap nohistory minimalism

Brb, making tiny dwarfarium.
>>
File: 1460246239512.png (69KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
1460246239512.png
69KB, 226x223px
How plausible it would be to dig a hole to a mountain, seal it up, then make a system for the original dwarves where they survive in an eternal bubble with a single underground farm producing food and booze? Rest of the commodations are packed tightly, but everything could be carved and decorated to make a lavish and sealed fort. I can see that troubles would arise when babies are born and space starts to run out.
>>
>>48533790
It's definitely possible to make a rather functional vault in the ways you described, but there's always the dwarf-factor which would cause fun to ensue.
>>
>>48533790

Just dig more.
>>
>>48533872
Oh, absolutely. Just wondered how long such construction would hold. I also now remembered that any of the dwarves would go insane for stuff like lack of materials for a fey mood unless you were extremely lucky.
>>
>>48533873
Now I'm thinking of dwarven incest orgies.
>>
>wizards and politics next
Oh god.

When will you be able to lead a dwarf army formed from the elite core of your militia and bolstered by hill dwarf conscripts in a siege against a goblin tower to reclaim your gold pilfered from a caravan you sent to the human heartlands? When will you be able to start a new fort in the newly-conquered tower, building quickly to defend against the inevitable goblin counterattack, led by their demon overlords?

Another 10 years, but it'll be worth the wait
>>
>>48533887
well, there's no reason you couldn't embark with a handful of extras. a stack of silk cloth will last you a while in moods if you don't use it for clothes, and you could take some llamas/alpacas/sheep to provide yarn, leather, bones, meat, and cheese long-term (once you've got cave fungus growing you can keep them all underground)
>>
>>48533952
While animals could provide materials for potentially moody dwarves the dwarves could also adopt them as pets, giving extra negative thoughts when they eventually die.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the reason why farming is the suggested food source for such a project.
>>
>>48533992
>giving extra negative thoughts when they eventually die.
just set them to be "unavailable" as pets (that's the default setting)
>isn't that the reason why farming is the suggested food source for such a project.
highly unlikely. even if you did set them as pet-available for some reason, the bad thought from having a pet die isn't strong enough to kill off your fort unless your dwarves are seriously unhappy already.
I imagine it's because farming is ultra-efficient and really compact, you could probably feed your starting 7 for eternity with a 1x2 farm plot once you have a high-skill farmer
>>
>>48533992
Pets give mood boosts too. Before they die set up enough other nice stuff that the negative thought of death doesn't drive your dwarves to despair. Y'know, like in reality.
>>
>>48533790
It's easy, anon. Just let one of your dwarves become a vampire, then seal him up in a little suite all by himself and have him keep your books.
>>
>>48534066
But you have to wait until vampires for that. I was thinking of doing it right after the embark.

These seven dwarves just dissappeared from the world forever.
>>
>>48534079
the vampire thing is just for fun, it's not necessary by any stretch
go for it anon, it's totally feasible

bonus round: get some of your starting 7 to marry and reproduce
>>
>>48534079
Well, you can also build a little enclave full of fancy furniture for one dwarf and drop long-lasting food down a shaft into a quantum stockpile. Once he starts getting old, stuff a baby in there to grow into his replacement.
Ultimately vault projects seem to work best with one dwarf who's never had a friend and thus doesn't care if everyone outside dies in agony.
>>
>>48534201
What would a single dwarf need in an isolated fort to last forever?
>>
>>48534201
>dwarf NEET
>>
Will they ever update the UI so it isn't completely retarded, or are they going to continue with the 'Spend a week learning about it yourself' motto?
>>
File: 1438245252983.jpg (39KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1438245252983.jpg
39KB, 250x250px
>>48534201
>You can make the lodging room suited for the particular dwarf by adding furniture made from their favorite materials, and smoothing and engraving everything. Use quantum stockpiling to give them 10+ years of food and drink. Make sure the A.I. is unable to communicate with other dwarves. His/her mood must not be affected by the deaths of the walking meat-bags who tried to befriend him/her.
>>
>>48534594
>Will they ever update the UI so it isn't completely retarded
probably not
there's a thousand things on the to-do list that are considered a higher priority, and it's just one guy doing the coding
>>
>>48534594
No, because then they'll need to remake the UI whenever they include a new big feature that marginally involves it. The "spend a week" motto is entirely unofficial, though.

Also, there's the little problem where there's just one guy who's coding the thing for fun and thus boring stuff gets pushed to the wayside. Like bugfixing, I guess. It's a bit of an issue.

Also, of course, the guy coding it knows fuck-all about UI design - as should probably be obvious from the current UI. And when he mostly (and somewhat understandably) refuses to hand over the coding to other people...

Let's just hope that it'll be fixed by the time 1.0 rolls around next century. And that Toady survives while hooked up to intravenous Mountain Dew or whatever his horrible lifestyle has evolved into by that point.

>>48534617
You can also have them kill things or otherwise witness death until they're completely numb to it. IIRC being a butcher will do it?
>>
>>48534696
Next century is pretty optimistic, didn't he say getting 1.0 could take 20 years for all he knows?
>>
>>48534696
I'm surprised a group of people have never just decided to say 'fuck it' and try to code a decent UI for him.
>>
>>48532559
>>48532559
Oh c'mon. It'd be bar for course if toady didn't artificially devalue the bones of mermaids
>>
>>48534729
I think he's said that he's probably got at least 20 years left of material, yeah. It's his magnum opus - he'll probably keep working on it until he dies, for all I know. (Then again, given his lifestyle that might be sooner rather than later.)

>>48534763
Oh, they have. DFHack is filled with shit like that.

It's just that they don't have access to the actual code of the game and thus don't have quite as much power as they could. Also, it's not official in any respect and sometimes buggy and also needs some work to update it whenever the game gets a new version.

I think this is also one of the reasons Toady has given for not fixing the UI so soon - the fans are kind of doing it for him. Find labors annoying? Use Dwarf Therapist or autolabor. Want to see mutiple Z-levels? Text Will Be Text is literal magic. Want mouse control? There's a cool mouselook script, IIRC, although I forget the name. Want a better manager? The new stuff in the current version was a DFHack script, once, and I think the script is still more powerful in some respects. Want to search in menus? There's a script for that.

Then again, there's also some minor UI improvements now and again. Being able to choose priority for digging is fucking great, for instance, and for all the shit the new military interface gets I still get a kick out of the real-time orders menu.
>>
>>48534763
UI is the absolute final thing to do in a project, or you'll be redoing it with every single fucking revision.
>>
>>48534895
>>48534926
I've seen a lot of people saying it's probably going to take decades to complete, and how he lives a shitty lifestyle. What happens if he dies before the game is done? Will we get the code for it, or will we have to make due with what we've got?
>>
>>48535117
Depends on what happens to the one who gets the code from him when he kicks it. If they are generous, they might just give it out. They might want to continue developing in privacy. Or alternatively, he takes the code to the grave with him. Or in the worst case, the person getting the code puts the game on steam for 30 bucks.
>>
>>48535117
The lifestyle thing is sensationalised, based off that one New York Times interview where he talks about doing meth.

>>48535117
>>48535142
Going opensource would kill DF, the community is too balkanised. There'd be a hundred forks that all kind of sucked. Like SS13, but worse for the lost potential.
>>
>>48535117
>>48535142
It would probably go to his brother. You know, the one who encouraged him, supported him financially at the start and occasionally helps with development.
>>
>>48535552
And the fate of that code would depend on what the brother wanted to do with it.
>>
>>48535569
Obviously, I was just saying it could be much worse.
>>
>>48533943
SOON
>>
>>48517301
Couldn't you have just ordered the workshop deconstructed so he could save himself?
>>
>start a unit of soldiers
>don't have any weapons because I'm too busy building beds and doors
>no armour because I have no leatherworkers
>they all end up as wrestlers
>weresnake attacks
>motherfucker chews through civvies in the entranceway
>soldiers finally arrive
>they have been wrestling in the depths for seasons
>the weresnake starts running
>captain catches up
>throws it so hard is transforms back to a human
>hits the ground and splatters at the edge of the map
>they return to their training in the deep
I miss that fort. I think the captain got bit and then ate everyone else. No one ever reached his level.
>>
>>48532258
You gotta mob cannibalistic dwarves. Solves a lot of problems.
>>
How is adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress?
>>
So I've started dwarf fortress and I'm starting to get a hang of the bare basics (plump helmet farms, item crafting, etc.). I'm using the wiki a lot as well.

Do you guys have any tips for me?
>>
>>48533943
Looking at the old dev logs? 2012 at the latest.
>>
>>48536103
Last time I played it was hella fun. Just don't start off as a dwarf/in a dwarf fortress. Every time I do that, I get lost in the starting area because you're dropped in a random corner of the fortress and everything looks the same and I give up after about an hour of wandering around empty smooth stone hallways with absolutely jack shit in them. That or I fast-traveled, but that drops you off and away, so you still have no NPCs.

Start out as a human; not only will you start in/near a village filled with NPCs and questgivers, but most equipment will work for you (other races may need special gear).
>>
>>48536103
Pretty damn rad. Its different from fortress mode obviously. Make sure you have the controls open on the wiki.

>>48536388
Try to get together a military in case of invasions. Fuck aquifers. Any immigrants with weird skills (beekeeping, milking, shearing etc) In the early years of your fort, make them labourers or farmers. Also, use Dwarf Therapist, the job menu ingame in convoluted and weird, just use Therapist.
>>
Any more storytiems? I booted it up again a couple hours ago and got rekt swiftly. The mist sucks ass, turning my dwarves into husks.
>>
>>48531007
>champion spanks the deity from the drunken master stance

L-lewd
>>
>>48536449
For military, I have one piece of advice: fuck swords. Fuck them so hard.

If you're an adventurer, swords are great because they let you both stab and slash depending on which is more beneficial. AI-controlled dwarves, on the other hand, pick randomly, which in the past has led to hacking apart zombies (leading to a swarm of zombified body parts), stabbing spongemen, and other stupid things. It's better to have a squad of axedwarves and a squad of speardwarves and know when to send out who than to have two squads of sworddwarves.
>>
>>48536584
I usually roll hammerdwarves whenever facing the undead. I feel like it'd make it easier to clean up when you have to get rid of the bodies, before they rise again. Speaking of, what are my options with that? I usually channel a hole, dump corpes and put a floor over it. They can arise if they want, but they're staying in the hole.
>>
>>48536540
yeah, evil biomes are pretty brutal if you're not ready for them

>>48536584
pick-wielding dwarves are fucking amazing, largely for this reason (I don't think you can slap an opponent with the blade of a pick or bash them with the pommel or whatever other shit that doesn't actually do anything in DF dwarves come up with when using normal weapons)
>>
>>48519487
Basically its one of the most complex video games ever developed and the scenarios that happen in it are beyond crazy.
>>
>>48522900
That's supposed to be fixed in the latest version.
>>
>>48523930
>is there a cheat sheet for working with this game's piece of shit UI?

Dwarf Therapist will be the best piece of software you will ever use.
>>
>>48536665
Pick wielding, besides the concept of assault miners being awesome, is really convenient because fighting with picks uses the mining skill and legendary miners are usually your first legend skill dwarves exempting those made by fey moods.

Speaking of assault miners, I think toady mentioned gunpowder being a thing he was considering making dwarves able to do. Not guns, but cased powder regardless.

Even with no guns the possibilities are endless. Blasting charges being hurled at tightly packed goblin formations, firelances and fire arrow arrays, fireworks shows for dwarf entertainment, massive powder storage rooms for another way to bring your fortress to an apocalyptic climax.
>>
>First fort ever. Let's strike the earth!
>Quickly harvest all trees, start building everything out of wood.
>Dig down, huh, why's this hole filled with water?
>Everywhere I dig, water.
>Learn about aquifiers. Uh oh. The entire map is covered with one a few layers down, preventing access to any stone, and I already wasted what little wood there was. To make things worse, new trees only grow in one tiny corner of the map; turns out I embarked on a desert.
>Survive through hunting and meager farms. Military is armed in leather&bone, they fend off the occasional goblin snatcher.
>Purchase building materials from the caravans to pierce and wall off the aquifier through a convoluted series of pumps and heavy micromanagement. Years pass before I gather enough, and the dwarves settle into their rustic lives.
>As the expedition leader is walling off the last portion of the aquifier, both pump operators go on break. He drowns before I get the situation sorted out.
>Mass depression strikes the fortress, turns out he knew everybody. The expedition leader's wife descends into madness and drowns herself. The rest of the dwarves eventually recover, unhappiness balanced out by the sheer masterwork quality of the cook's food. Little did I know this was only a shadow of things to come.
>>
File: 1439177869265.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1439177869265.gif
2MB, 400x250px
>Dwarf Fortress years ago
>First REAL fort
>Everything running smoothly
>Snatcher!
>Steals kid, stabs dog
>Escapes
>Both belonged to militia commander
>Who then proceeds to go berserk and murder the rest of the militia
>Murders everyone in the fort
>Gets to doctor's office
>He is patching up snake attack victim
>Militia captain murders patient
>Dies Immediately
>What
>Check report
>Doctor PUNCHED HER HEAD ACROSS THE ROOM
>Cleans up his dead friends
>Sits down and drinks
>Not sad or nothing.
>My face

Dorf Fort is weird
>>
>>48537531
>Finally pierce the aquifier! The leader and wife's bodies are recovered and for the first time my dwarves have access to stone. Build everything out of stone. Chairs, tables, doors, pots, coffins, everything. A celebration starts fortress-wide. Disband dining room to put a stop to said celebration. Now is the time for work!
>The dwarves meager holdings expand dramatically in a few month's time. This does not go unnoticed.
>A minotaur arrives first, eager to take the fortress's newly earned weath for its own. It is unarmed and falls swiftly. But while the soldiers are returning home they are ambushed by a squad of goblins and slain. The remaining military deals with the goblins but the damage is done.
>The entire fortress goes into shock. Citizens throw tantrums everywhere, breaking chairs, doors and other dwarves. The fortress guard mete out lethal beatings for criminals left and right as there are no holding cells. Old bedrooms are converted into cells, but the citizens within them starve or go insane, leading to more deaths and more tantrums.
>>
>>48537561
>Que the arrival of the Bronze Colossus. Glad to escape the chaos inside, the soldiers rush to fight it, but their pitiful bone weapons are no match for it. One by one, they grow exhausted and fall. The only thing holding the bronze colossus at bay is a masterwork stone door.
>As the stone begins to crack, a great cry rises behind it. An army of goblins has arrived to avenge their fallen comrades. They stride eagerly towards our gates only to come face to face with the bronze colossus. It turns away from the door and begins to rip through their ranks like wet tissue paper.
>But not all of the goblins are stopped by the colossus. A squad arrives from the south on dragonback and flies through the skylight. The kitchen erupts in bloodshed as a cave dragon rips off the chef's arm and sends it flying across the room. Unfazed after all the death surrounding him, he uses his remaining arm to cave its skull in with one punch. The surviving fortress guard manages to eliminate the remaining dragons but their numbers are whittled down to two.
>The goblins inside are dead but the chaos outside still pales to that within. The dwarves' numbers are swiftly dwindling as one by one, another goes mad. Grand bedrooms are made, furnished by the masterwork mason and intricately decorated in the hopes of calming at least a few. But dwarves begin to turn up mysteriously dead, drained of blood, in those bedrooms. A vampire is feeding off the chaos.
>The fortress cannot afford to lose more dwarves while the vampire is properly identified, so each dwarf is scanned for the appropriate traits and a dwarf with a mysteriously long list of dead relatives is made manager. He is tasked with ordering some new doors, and while he does the paperwork the one behind him is dismantled and he is walled away for eternity.
>>
>>48537588
>Meanwhile the bronze colossus strikes down the war leader outside and the remaining goblins are routed. He returns to battering down the door.
>The last two soldiers are sent to deal with it. One immediately crippled and slowly bleeds to death while the other wrestles the colossi. She holds her ground and even manages to force it far enough away that a few civilians manage to sneak out and recover her comrade. But like the rest, the soldier begins to tire. Seeing the fight is lost, the overseer disbands the military. The surviving soldier abandons the fight and heads inside. The colossi follows on her heels only to stumble into a simple wooden cage trap meant for enchroaching badgers.
>The unconscious soldier outside is recovered but dies while in the hospital. No one tantrums this time. A few insane dwarves are still in holding cells but the remainder few have grown numb to it all. Most of them are children. There are only 6 able bodied dwarves remaining. Seven counting the vampire clerk.
>Somehow they press on. Years pass and no new migrants arrive, but eventually they flourish enough for newcomers to brave the journey. The one-armed cook becomes the new captain of the guard, while the surviving soldier becomes the new militia commander. The master mason, whose battered stone door still stands, eventually rose to dutchess. The children grew up, and while tragedies would still occur, they had grown resiliant to it. Even the vampire clerk eventually gained a comrade, and they shared an expansive wing of the fortress to themselves, never to be seen by mortal eyes.
>>
>>48535117
If he dies the code gets released publicly - there's a foul play clause, though, so if his death is fishy then it probably just goes to his brother alongside his computers and whatnot. Because his fans are fucking insane.

He's gone into it a bit in various interviews.
>>
>>48533943
Tarn Adams did say he wanted to add wizards...
>>
>>48534201
Knowing DF there's still a way the NEET dwarf could die.
>>
>>48534895
Tarn drinks soda almost exclusively and has a shit diet. At this rate he won't live to finish the game.
>>
>>48535569
His brother would release it for sure.
>>
File: df_rubbing_it_in.png (222KB, 1840x1901px) Image search: [Google]
df_rubbing_it_in.png
222KB, 1840x1901px
>>
>>48539937
The unintentional narratives are the best part of DF.
>>
>>48540941
>I must leave
Also
>The difference between a villain and a super-villain.png
>>
Let me copy-paste something I wrote for the forums.

>I fight a demon master.
>Master claws me in the finger, rips off my hand, I drop shield.
>I stab master in the hands.
>Master bites me in the lip, injects poison, shakes me around.
>I do not die, but pass out from the pain.
>My divine metal helmet protects me.
>I wake up.
>I stab master in legs and chest.
>Master kicks my toe, ripping foot off.
>I take out crutch.
>I stab master in brain.
>I am bleeding badly.
>I die.
>It was a good battle.

The new joint twist and armor damage mechanics are so much fun. Demons kicking you in the toes so hard your feet rip off? Absolutely dwarven.
>>
File: soapeater.jpg (192KB, 1080x576px) Image search: [Google]
soapeater.jpg
192KB, 1080x576px
>>48534066
That was changed quite a long time ago.
If the only dorfs left alive are undead the fort will crumble after a while.
>>
>>48542332
What? Source please.
>>
File: lcxYq0O.png (101KB, 773x464px) Image search: [Google]
lcxYq0O.png
101KB, 773x464px
>>48517301
I think this speaks for itself
>>
>>48544135
tl;dr
Two dwarves are fighting to the death in the arena. Dwarf 19 loses his arm and has an axe stuck in him, gets his bottom lip ripped off by the other dwarf using his teeth to fight him because his weapon is currently stuck in the other dwarf's mostly mutilated arm. He is getting thrown around by his bottom lip, by the teeth of Dwarf 5, he gives in to pain, falls to teh ground, and is getting bitten to death by Dwarf 5.
Dwarf 5 bleeds out, and Dwarf 19 wakes up and sees he is victorious.
>>
>>48517461
>>watch all of my best dwarves bleed out on the soil
>>ragequit
>I'm still not very good at dwarf fortress.

That conclusion doesn't follow. This is what's supposed to happen. You're doing well.
>>
File: =Oh exploteble.jpg (5KB, 125x159px) Image search: [Google]
=Oh exploteble.jpg
5KB, 125x159px
>>48540941
>I must leave
>>
>>48537707
>there's a foul play clause
This is good, otherwise someone would throw him into a pit of mad dogs and then poor lava on him
>>
>>48544875
>Toady has had an unfortunate accident!
>>
>>48539937
>Member of the Dankmerchants
No wonder they sent a meme carving of her removal
>>
>>48537618
downloading DF now thanks in advance anon
>>
Anyone else just not know what to do in this game?
Like, I got the basics down, but no projects seem worth doing, and invasions range from like 1 goblin to an unstoppable army of death that would have ended me no matter the strength of my army
>>
>>48546645
>invasions range from like 1 goblin to an unstoppable army of death that would have ended me no matter the strength of my army
Generally, fighting an Invasion head on is equivalent to suicide.
Early game you are often better off sealing yourself inside and mid game you are better off indirectly killing off most of them with traps before moping up the survivors.
Cage traps deal with most things if you are new and aren't ready to deal with threats in a more fun bloody fashion.
>>
>>48546645
>no projects seem worth doing

If you're looking for practicality in a megaproject you're doing it wrong. Dwarf Fortress is as challenging as you choose it to be. You could never lose if you sealed your settlers in a sandy cave and did nothing but farm plump helmets for centuries and never dug deep, but that isn't fun.

Any Goblin army should fall easily to ten legendary level warriors. It takes a few years to train warriors up to Lord level, but at that point they're invincible against any common goblin.
>>
>>48537531
>>48537561
>>48537588
>>48537618
Somebody Screencap this!
>>
Right now I'm trying to survive on the surface of a glacier. The dwarves were too busy building a ceiling to wall off the recently-excavated caverns, and so a pair of Draltha came up to the surface.

They started kicking my dogs around, and I put both miners in a squad to kill them. The militia captain died when a Draltha shook him around by the head, but the second soldier avenged him by punchin out all the Draltha's teeth. He's currently pursueing a bleeding, vomiting, toothless Draltha around the workshops while the other Draltha just sort of hangs out.
>>
Just realized I have a very simple story I never considered sharing that some might enjoy.

>Embark on a freaking volcano
>Set up magma forges for the first time
>finally one of my skilled weaponsmiths gets into a mood and sets to work in the workshop
>he gathers all his materials and gets to work right away
>excitement builds
>suddenly he is interrupted by a magma crab and runs into the hallway
>magma crab eventually wanders off
>weaponsmith is now frozen in place stuck standing in one of the major hallways next to the major stairwell
>nothing I do can make him move and I know he's just going to snap at any moment
>took so long to spot him frozen that I'm not sure if I have time to build up a wall around him
>I decide to channel out the floor from above him to cause an "accident"
>one z-level just makes a hole above his head that does nothing
>so one floor up I dig out a circle around the floor tile to let it drop two levels onto his head
>I screw up and dug out the wrong spot so I have to do it one more z-level up
>Finally the floor tile drops 3 stories and strikes my beloved weaponsmith in the head
>...while he is standing in the middle of a major hallway next to the main stairs
>everyone on the floor is horribly traumatized by the gore and death
>but this is the first time I've ever dropped a floor chunk onto a floor that had been tunneled out underneath it
>I underestimated gravity
>so everyone on the floor below that was also traumatized
>as was everyone in the petting zoo on the ground floor
>the weaponsmith may have been reduced to a smear but he will never be forgotten by the dwarves in my fortress, especially the children
>>
What would a proper dorfy amusement park require, apart from a tavern, a zoo, some luxurious bathhouses, artificial waterfalls, and a roller coaster running through mist?
>>
>>48535117
Toady has left it to his brother in his will, and his brother to him. Should they both die, it will go opensource
>>
Nvhk
>>
>>48517301
My first functional fortress got raided by a single black bear.

There was only one Dwarf left that went insane and stayed in the deepest rooms of the Fortress.

Then the Goblins arrived. When they killed the stray pets the last dorf snapped and attacked them.

Of course they ripped him apart. I felt bad after that.
>>
>>48550155
a kitchen pumping out something approximating fast food
dwarven syrup + some kind of oil + whatever else is on hand (flour/fruit/seeds/nuts/meat?)
>>
>>48550155
BOOZE
O
O
Z
E
>>
>>48550261
Press cake is a good option for the rest, you can make oil and press cake at the same time.
>>
White sand.
All is white sand.
No trees, no rocks.
Setup a small glassmaking village in the middle of the desert.
Winds. Sandstorms. Hunger. Sober dwarves.
>>
>>48551139
and buzzards and vultures?
>>
File: 1433380573090.png (32KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
1433380573090.png
32KB, 250x249px
Just now;
>dwarf gets fell mood
>gathers ingredients
>only thing she's missing is cloth
>quickly my shearers, threadspinners, loomers, fire up cloth industry full blast
>many different cloth materials start to roll out into the stockpile
>moody dwarf doesn't take them
>assign a new stockpile of cloth around the claimed workshop
>she still doesn't want them
>"Stark raving mad!"
After consulting the internet, I have no idea why it didn't work.
>>
>>48552452
she probably wanted silk
>>
>>48528934
What is this?
>>
>>48517301
>notice that my only mason is stuck in a tree
>he climbed up a bush and now he cant make it down
>shit son
>try a bunch of stairs, blocks, and burrows bullshit to get him to come down
>doesnt work
>alright fine, maybe i can chop down the tree he's in to get him down
>oh please god dont let him die of the fall
>he's brained by a log falling on him
>fortress tantrum spirals
GG
>>
>Magic is next
>Read some of Toady's notes on magic
Oh boy, and I thought Haunted fog and forgotten beast effects could get gruesome
You ready for your wizard to be armed with a spell that allows all the flesh to melt off and a spell that turns sentients into cheese?
>>
What would you fellas say is a good embark in terms of dwarves and their skills?
>>
>>48531007
>The champion is no longer stunned
>RulesofNature.MP3
>>
>>48532305
It's kinda like: "Everything here is cruelty-free. Oh, don't worry, the meat came from a cow who died of natural causes. Very. Natural. Causes."
>>
Reminder that Dwarf Fortress is Turing complete.
>>
>>48553563
depends on where you're setting up, if you have any unique plans for the fort, your preferences, and so on
my usual is something like
>3 miners + engravers
>1 brewer
>1 herbalist + woodcutter + animal trainer
>1 doctor + architect
>1 mason + carpenter
but if you're embarking in a rocky wasteland with no trees or plants, a herbalist/woodcutter is obviously a waste of time; if you're in an evil area or near a tower you'll probably want a military dwarf on embark; if you're bringing a million sheep with you, you might want a shearer/milker; etc.
it's also worth giving guys with no mood-able skills (farming labours, doctor stuff, etc.) 1 skill point in something tasty like weaponsmith, so that if they get a strange mood it'll trigger that skill rather than one of the craftsdwarf skills
>>
>>48553563
Depends on what you're looking to do. My most used embark profile uses:
2 Proficient Miner/Mechanics.
1 Proficient Mason/Novice Appraiser/Skilled Record Keeper.
1 Proficient Carpenter/Bone Carver.
1 Proficient Weaponsmith/Armorsmith.
1 Proficient Mechanic/Leatherworker.
1 Proficient Mechanic/Animal Trainer.
The Animal Trainer quickly trains the seven dogs I bring into war dogs for early defense and the excess of mechanics are because of my love of mechanisms and the fact proficient mechanics load cage traps much faster.

This approach focuses on skills for any industries you want to start quickly as well as a few for early defense (my early defenses in this case are cage traps and war dogs). It's best to make sure your skills won't interfere with each other too much; The Proficient Mason/Novice Appraiser/Skilled Record Keeper up there is a bad example as Masonry is in high demand early on and he's going to need to stop for a good chunk of time the first time he starts bookkeeping. The Miner/Mechanics would similarly interfere with each other if I didn't disable one or the other as necessary.

One skillset I've found handy but didn't use above is Proficient Miner/Dodger. Should a Kobold or something show up early on you can quicky press the dwarf into a military squad with picks and no armor assigned and put a stop to whatever little bugger is terrorizing your fortress.

A different method is to just put one point in a number of skills you want your early dwarves to do so you don't have to assign a bunch of jobs as soon as you start, but I much prefer having good proficiency in several jobs there's high demand for, particularly Weapon/Armorsmith as a dwarf will have to go through a lot of metal to master the craft. This approach does leave you with more embark points for goods though.
>>
My General approach is
1 Appraiser/miner (5 Appraisal 2 Mining 1 Per 1 Judge intent)
1 Combat Dwarf (5 Dodge 1 Arm 1 Shi 3 Weapon skill) At embark I tag them into mining
1 Woodworker (5 Carp, 1 WC, 1 BC)
2 Masons (3 Mas, 3 SC, 1 Architech)
2 Farmers (5 Far, 1 Bre, 1 Herbalist)

I tag one of the masons into Mech at embark as well. My strategy is to quickly mine out a safe spot and have it able to be sealed off as quickly as possible.
>>
File: playingdorf.png (147KB, 1920x1011px) Image search: [Google]
playingdorf.png
147KB, 1920x1011px
>Fortress military, twenty strong, goes out to fight about five times their number in goblins and trolls
>they obliterate much of the army, but eventually attrition and exhaustion takes them all down
>hastily armed militia and visiting human soldiers barely fend off the remainder as they trickle in from an unsecured entrance to the walled city
>it is nearly a year later
>no caravans have come, presumably thinking the settlement was razed by the massive goblin horde
>the only immigrants have been human soldiers looking for work and staying at the famous inn
>the bodies still litter the landscape
>yet beside this corpse field, littered with broken bodies and rotten viscera, abandoned equipment and armor, a child plays make believe, reliving in their imagination the glorious days that the valiant twenty gave their lives to break the back of the goblin attack
>>
One of my biggest issues with DF that I still havent really been able to determine, is how deep should I dig before getting into the main part of the fort with the meeting hall and dining room and so on
>>
File: Ratking.jpg (410KB, 645x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ratking.jpg
410KB, 645x523px
>Bronze colossus arrives
>Really early on, don't have military yet
>Oh shit oh shit
>Recruit every Dwarf into military
>A dozen wrestlers swarm this colossus
>They subdue it but can't kill it
>They won't stop grappling it
>They're going to slowly die of thirst
>One dwarf finally manages to break free
>Assign him to grab hammer
>1-shots the colossus

And that's how I got a rat-king but made out of dwarves somehow.
>>
>>48555767
I normally just go a couple z-levels until I've hit enough stone that the entire hall will be properly dwarven. If you want, though, you could always bring stone up from lower z-levels and build proper stone walls around your earthenwork halls.
>>
>>48555767
How I usually do things is

>1 level down: Farming and preliminary storage and basic necessities
>next 3: workshops and material stockpiles; ideally these are soil levels
>dig until stone throughout
>dining level
>mausoleum level
>housing
>nobility housing
>>
>>48517301
Dead dwarves fuel my economy. Clothes are in high demand and every year and a half a group of goblins invade. I always wait till the last minute to drive them off so they can kill off about 20 percent of my hold before i collect the clothes off the dead for trade when the next caravan arrives.
>>
>>48555948
Armok approves of this post.
>>
>>48555767
You can change the location mid game from where you started.
In the beginning I dig out basic requirements in the first full stone layer. I usually separate different industries in different parts of the fort later on. I personally find it more Dwarven to eventually settle in the cavern layers, (If possible) when I can, eventually abondoning near surface facilities except the trade depot and invasion killing military members and mechanics.
>>
>dwarf fortress
>lucky start, plenty of silver
>begin building amazing fort
>defeat forgotten beast after forgotton beast.
>archers kill anything before they can harm anyone
>until that fateful day
>forgotten beast weremole consort twisted into humanoid form
>prepare achers at entrance
>suddenly the beast is in the middle of the fort
>wereMOLE
>so everyone got slain as the military eventually kills the beast.
>survivors turn into weremoles

I love this game
>>
File: his smile and optimism gone.png (3KB, 801x48px) Image search: [Google]
his smile and optimism gone.png
3KB, 801x48px
>>48517301
Image for real sad. (However story is less poetic just problem with hauling and micromanaging to big fort)
>>
>>48536584
My most recent fort have entire squad of swordorfs since I have obsidian as first rock and had trouble with forging industry at first.
>>
>>48557098
Aztec dwarven military is go.
>>
I always give seperate, fancy room for dwarf what have important kill (like FB) or civilian who did something badass (like fighting against megabeast and surviving).
First time I did it for civilian was one guy who was fighting forgotten beast armed only with training axe for woodcutting, dont remember if he did any damage or not (or if it was really first one ) but he did lost arm in that combat and I was found on him from now.
>>
>>48555767
I like embedding my fortress into the walls of the first cavern layer, with bridges and watchtowers keeping the farmers, fishermen and silk gatherers safe. I do lock the surface off often, though -- except for an airlock to let the migrants in of course.
>>
>>48557545
For those dwarves I modded a "Local Legend" position into the game
>>
>>48546813
>Any Goblin army should fall easily to ten legendary level warriors.
Not any more! Now your warriors get tired. Then they pass out and get ganked by goblins. You need about 1/10th the invading force in legendaries now.
>>
>>48553445
Better yet, are you ready to have AI-controlled wizards with power like that?
>>
Alright fellas, Ive got a dorf fort question
If I were to take a naturally recurring river and divert it into becoming my underground well, underground fishing, and totally awesome waterfall generating, would I still be able to fish from it?
>>
>>48559037
last time I tried something like that, yes, I was able to. I think as long as the two bodies of water are connected it should work, but no guarantees
>>
File: tfw a vagina steals your crown.png (6KB, 1230x278px) Image search: [Google]
tfw a vagina steals your crown.png
6KB, 1230x278px
>>
>>48557811
I like to look for a river fork in a grassland. I use the river as a natural barrier and build a palisade around the others. I usually have the trade depot, craftdawarves, capenters, and a few storage warhouses on the surface for easy of transport for trade. Eventually i moat the pallisade and creat a small surface town that serves as a trade hub for the rest of the fortress underground.
>>
>>48559037
Don't forget about fortifications to keep out threats that can swim.
>>
>>48559654
There's always floor gates and water pressure, Anon
That was my idea anyway
>>
File: 1449171116775.jpg (807KB, 1350x1359px) Image search: [Google]
1449171116775.jpg
807KB, 1350x1359px
>>
File: 1430617282883.png (6KB, 297x257px) Image search: [Google]
1430617282883.png
6KB, 297x257px
>>
>>48559654
Creatures can swim through fortifications in 7/7 water. Use grates and a setup where building destroyers can't destroy the grate.
>>
File: 1443122527354.webm (432KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1443122527354.webm
432KB, 600x338px
>diamonds
>>
File: 1449136689712.jpg (23KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
1449136689712.jpg
23KB, 500x200px
>>
File: neb.png (239KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
neb.png
239KB, 570x570px
>>48559714
>3x3
>>
File: 1430642128091.gif (357KB, 1024x645px) Image search: [Google]
1430642128091.gif
357KB, 1024x645px
>>48559814
>>
>>48536418
>2012

Like, with a new Year 0 being declared after Trump wins, right?
>>
>>48559945
Look at the dev logs from around 2010ish, mate.
>>
Does anyone have a picture of an eight legged quadruped. It looked like a giant eyeball with eight limbs, with each pair merging into four spiked ends?
>>
>>48517461
>>get invaded by goblins
Didn't this practically stop happening awhile back?
>>
I've never gotten into Dwawf Fortress but I understand its gone through many versions with different features and so forth. However compared to a lot of games I've played I've never heard anyone pine for an older version of the game. Is the dev just that good at adding to the game without ruining things about it people liked?
>>
>>48560502
>Is the dev just that good at adding to the game without ruining things about it people liked?
Pretty much. The core gameplay is the same and everything I noticed in a update has been an improvement after the bugs get sorted out.
>>
>>48560502
There's plenty of pining for older versions, but while those older versions are readily available, it's pretty hard to go back after getting used to the new features.
Things do get broken and unbalanced in new versions. For example, goblins used to bring a wide variety of giant, dangerous, sometimes flying mounts with their sieges, but in the current version they have beak dogs or nothing. If you read the wiki, it'll tell you about all the crazy collection of nobles you could have like guild masters and tax collectors, and in the current version they don't exist.
But since those feature breaks come bundled with really good new tools (like auto vein mining or the expanded manager options) and fun new features (taverns, activated world, etc.), very few people are willing to go back to those old versions.

Basically DF is never polished and there's always loads of broken stuff, so even when you get frustrated by broken stuff in the current version, you have to remember that there was loads of buggy and missing features in the old versions too that would irritate the piss out of you having seen them work properly in the new.
>>
>>48561297
Well for the nobles at least those nobles were for economy, which was a shitshow in itself, which will probably come back once Toady eventually gets around to doing the economy
>>
>>48561442
Yeah that's another good point: nothing's really gone for good, it's just out for a bit until Toady can figure out how to make it actually function.
>>
>>48561297
>>48561545
>>48560502
For me the "Do this now" "n" key and the numbered mining make it impossible for me to go back to older versions.
>>
>>48561545
I guess the closest thing there is to "feature gone for good" is Toady finally fixing the fun bugs like thrown items being hillariously deadly (/r/ing the screencap with the adventurer taking down a bronze colossus with a thrown fluffy warbler). Even then, new fun bugs will always crop up.
>>
>>48536584
>If you're an adventurer, swords are great because they let you both stab and slash depending on which is more beneficial.
Tests from 2014 have shown that sword stabs actually count as slashes, because the sword is too wide.
>>
>>48549101
Do it yourself faggot
>>
>adventure mode
>world is 5 years old
>play red panda female demigod
>spawn in elven tree
>grab adventuring buddy and set off to Dusttwilight to confront Oce, the freak of evil
>punch out the brains of a giant grasshopper on the way for some food
>arrive in Oce's tiny cave
>ready wooden spear and shield
>wait for elf buddy to catch up to help
>see ! ! ! ! moving quickly to the cave entrance
>bastard ran away in horror
>tangle with Oce
>too fast, too strong, too evil
>tears off my cotton shoe
>explodes my head into gore with it
I got some good hits in though.
>>
>>48562293
Too late.
>>
>>48562984
Boogiemen are by far the worst part of Adventure mode. Why am I punished for traveling alone?
>>
File: dftavern.png (44KB, 462x893px) Image search: [Google]
dftavern.png
44KB, 462x893px
>make Tavern out of olivine blocks so barf isn't noticeable
>This happens instead

Fuck's sake
>>
>>48535846

reminds me of one of my first forts

>start a militia after a goblin thief shanked a fisherman
>low population so have only 5 dwarves on mining hematite, smelting it, then crafting armor and weapons with it
>for some reason the armor orders get approved before the weapons
>goblin attack gets repelled by heavily armored wrestlers
>one dorf got 5 wrestle kills
>nickname him Zangief and refuse to give him a weapon
>after another 25 kills, including a legendary beast, gets killed in a stupid cave in
>entire military goes fucking mad since he was best friends with everyone
>>
>1st year of a fort
>at war with elves
>bring two proficient axe dwarves with skill at teaching in the starting group
>don't have a metal industry working
>set up a squad of five axe dwarves armed with wooden training axes and wood bucklers
>the two skilled teachers whip the other 3 dwarves into fighting shape
>2nd year starts
>spring has arrived
>an elvish ambush springs from hiding and catches the axe dwarf squad training outside
>axe dwarves slowly and methodically beat the elves to death with wooden axes
>the 2 axe dwarf teachers become attached to their wooden axes afterwards
>they refuse to use any axe except their wooden axes
>one of them killed enough elves to earn a title >his title is the "Aquamarine Blush of Trees"
>>
File: ascii pepe.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
ascii pepe.gif
607KB, 800x792px
I suck at DF and my dwarves all get bare cells with a bed, random stockpile spots, and just eat standing up in the food area.

My fortresses are always more reminiscent of refugee camps than a fortress. Nobody even really invades me except for animals sometimes or the occasional snatcher since I'm poor as fuck and tend to just make what I need.
>>
All these tantrum spiral deaths impress upon me that high-level craftsmanship and detailed walls aren't just nice valuable things to have, but are actually critical to the survival of a fortress by preventing too many bad thoughts from occurring.
>>
>Legacy game of DF
>Friend passes game to me with list of notes as to what happened the previous year
>Fortress is flooded due to river-fuckery gone wrong
>almost as much vomit as water sweeping through the glorious fort of Paint Drank
>Best miner, who may be able to save us all, is injured and staying in bed
>He is throwing a tantrum
>He is also unconscious
>Goblins invade
>Dorves organize a party
>Unconscious dorf continues to scream-vomit in his sleep
>Best fort ever
>>
>>48564155
I build all my forts layercake style, and one of the first things I have my glassmakers produce is mile upon mile of glass hatches.

That way, every time a dwarf goes up or down a staircase, he gets to admire a pretty glass hatch.
>>
>>48554403
I run out of points on the Mechanic/Leatherworker. How many points do you use to embark with?
>>
>>48563105
You aren't. All you need to do is go in a cave, lair, or building.
>>
>>48564416
Yes, I'm punished for traveling alone. If I have one other person with me the boogiemen just magically stay away. Adventure mode would be vastly improved without them in it.
>>
Something I've always wondered about the Dwarf Fortress threads that always pop up here.

Why aren't they on /v/? Not saying it's a bad thing that they're here, everyone loves a little dorf. But what is there to tie this into "traditional games" other than the dorfs?
>>
>>48564499
Dorf Fortress attracts a specific type of gamer

One that enjoys layering their own storytelling over events, micromanaging complex systems, and using their imagination to explore fantasy worlds.

In other words, fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>48532196
You can't butcher things that die of starvation.
>>
>>48564567
Wow, just realized I wasn't in the DF general on /vg/
>>
>>48564499
>Why aren't they on /v/?
They are, actually. Also on /vg/.

It's just that /tg/ also has a separate Dwarf Fortress fandom. It's not quite as different as the Elder Scrolls fandoms are (/tg/ is about lore, /vg/ about waifus and mods), but there's some difference.

Mostly it's just here because of ingrained tradition, though. It's been an adoptive /tg/ thing forever.
It also helps that it's basically the evolved stage of a roguelike and roguelikes are basically Old School D&D: The Video Game.
>>
BTW Since it is /tg/ :
Do anybody tried RPG sesion in setting of DF?
With it's version of fantasy races and local animal men races and it's monsters like Forggoten Beast or Demons?
>>
>>48565593
Could be pretty goofy, but I feel like it would work better as a kingdom building/defense type RPG moreso than the typical adventuring party. I don't know that there's a lot of lore that lends to the idea.

but i'm running a Dungeon Crawl campaign right now, which probably has about the same amount of lore-building, and it's working pretty damn well
>>
>play scorpion girl
>have six arms
>can wear three shields on each arm
>can sting people with my stinger
Holy fuck, dorfen tanks. It's incredible. No one can pierce my 18 shields, and my stinger injects poison that inflicts pain and slows them down.
>>
>>48565748
Good thing that animal people don't form big civilisations then.
>>
>>48564567
This,
/v/ is also extremely aggressive and will argue over anything, not a good fit for a game as complex as Dorf Fort.
>>
>>48564466
You can also avoid the bogeymen by sleeping in the trees when it's dark out. Make sure you're at the top, and the tree is high as fuck though, because those things can jump 3-4 blocks up in the air.
>>
>>48564346
Remove costly items you won't immediatelly need and/or can make yourself from the buy menu first, like the wheelbarrow and stepladder. I usually drop the second axe too if it's a calm or treeless area. Then you'll have enough points to give every dorf full skills.

You do check the items list before embarking, don't you?
>>
>>48564567
How do the fa/tg/uys feel about rimworld? It's probably the closest DF inspired game to achieve any form of success?
>>
>>48566193
Its breddy gud, others achieved some success, but Rimworld is definitely the best.
>>
>>48566086
I have kind of the reverse approach.
I give one or two dwarves skills, usually a Leader and a Hunter/Marksdwarf/Hammerer/Teacher.
And then I max out the essential items, including extra food, alcohol, and 4 picks.
I start with 3 miners, 2 woodcutters, 1 Fisher/Miner, and 1 Hunter.
Everyone aside from the Hunter learns by doing and I equip additional jobs as needed.

>Why 4 picks?
Faster initial fortress development and so I will never again have to endure the shame of a fort falling to ruin because small birds flew off with my only two picks.
>>
>>48566230
I've played it and it seems bretty good. I just hope that the dev increases some of the depth of the game; its got a solid base but most of the stuff that happens is just increasingly punishing raids, weather conditions or minor stuff stopping working.

I've heard that the developer as well is planning to put updates to the game on hiatus once its fully released as well although its expected that there will be at least 2 major content updates between now and the game coming out from alpha.
>>
>>48550188
So... We all know what has to be done.
>>
>>48566655
Except both of them explicitly have mentioned foul play clauses in their wills
>>
>>48566680
I have an answer for that : It has to be the same kind "accident" that could happen with Nobles in DF
>>
>>48566689
I dont think them being stabbed by numerous spike traps, their apartment being flooded with water or magma, or something of that similar vein will work in this situation, Anon
>>
>>48566699
But wouldn't appartment flooded with magma count as a natural disaster?
>>
>>48566708
If there was a massive series of screw pumps from the mantle leading to their apartment, I dont think it counts
Besides, most apartments arent made from magma-safe materials, so you'd kill everyone there and that would probably lead to tantrum spirals
>>
File: tumblr_mnsve5WkIj1snsprdo1_500.png (77KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnsve5WkIj1snsprdo1_500.png
77KB, 500x375px
>>48553279
>tantrum spirals
what is this? v0.31?
>>
>>48556210
uh, mobs can't dig through stuff - mole or otherwise
>>
>>48566893
>>48556210

gotta love shitters who just up and LIE
>>
File: 1449148227377.jpg (6KB, 201x58px) Image search: [Google]
1449148227377.jpg
6KB, 201x58px
>>48566931
I know, right?
>>
>>48566836
Man people other than me are always cutting big monsters in half with their axedorfs while I make superhumanly strong legendary adventurers and they have a hard as hell time cutting shit in half
>>
File: Sick Action Shot4.png (708KB, 2376x4208px) Image search: [Google]
Sick Action Shot4.png
708KB, 2376x4208px
>start fortress to practice farming and metal mining
>all going well
>suddenly
>"The Human Stama Iddimlir Beldisem Kamca has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition."
>huh that's weird, normally the red text is reserved for forgotten beasts and werecreatures"
>where's this guy at?
>oh shit he's in my fortress entranceway
>it's completely naked, and it's a she, how weird
>all dwarves, attack!
>human runs away screaming for help
>dwarves chase her across the map
>eventually catch her and beat her to death for trying to sneak into my fortress
Turns out she was some kind of werebear.
>>
>Start fortress
>Nothing much happens for ages
>A were llama suddenly attacks
>Tears one of my dwarves a new asshole
>It suddenly reverts to its human form and stumbles around a bit
>Both it and my dwarf die from bleeding

It all happened in a few seconds.
>>
>>48564499
Commander Keen Rule
>>
File: Kuzco.jpg (15KB, 300x178px) Image search: [Google]
Kuzco.jpg
15KB, 300x178px
>>48566988
>>
>>48532559
Fun fact- you can add genitals into the raws by making specific bodyparts only exist in specific castes.

You can also give penises 'grasp' so that you can strangle things to death with them.
>>
File: 1449112022502.jpg (257KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449112022502.jpg
257KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone have dorf-inspired desktop backgrounds?
>>
>>48567299
>wanting body parts that categorically cannot be protected by armor

That just results in all dorfs freeballing or freecunting it and in predictably ghastly injuries
>>
>>48567299
Obok pls go
>>
>>48532559
Is that ShindoL or is that Fatalpulse?
>>
>>48567403
Could be Asanagi
>>
>>48565748
Only DF would allow you to wield 18 shields (and actually have it be a valid strategy)
>>
>>48566980
>naked woman arrives at your fortress
>hunt her down and kill her
Anon I have some bad news for you...
>>
File: 1404857016199.png (6KB, 714x114px) Image search: [Google]
1404857016199.png
6KB, 714x114px
>>48519487
Imagine the Sims, but every dwarf has his own psychology, mindset, skills, and everything. They also do whatever they feel like doing at the moment, regardless of what you want.

Imagine a city builder, in the sense that you can place a building somewhere so your workers can build it. Only the dwarves will do whatever they want. You can tell some dwarves that they may only do construction work so they stop hauling shit around instead, but still they might decide to take a break whenever they feel like it.

Imagine a roguelike, in the sense there´s permadeath and you can come back and find the remains of your previous playthroughs. Probably still occupied with whatever caused their demise.

Now smash it all together and also think that this game has a thoroughly designed world generator, can track wounds and their consequences quite accurately (there´s no HP, most creatures only die by bleeding out, suffocating, brain smashing and decapitation, and the game tracks skin, muscle, tendon, bones, nerves and organs separately, plus half a dozen different conditions for each of them [bruised, cut, torn, broken...]).

It´s a massive trainwreck, a horrible mess that´ll probably become one of your favorite games if you ever learn how to play.

There´s also an adventure mode, where you control a single individual (with a GREAT combat system) instead of a whole fortress. Dialogue can be quite interesting sometimes.
>>
>>48567327
What, you can't mod in codpieces too?
>>
>>48566230

Really? I just looked at gnomoria and it seems to have mixed reviews
>>
>>48568634
Last time I checked it out, it was very much a work in progress. Has that changed?
>>
>>48568634
Gnomoria used to be doing really well, but the developer has dropped out now so there is alot of backlash against the game as many people think its been left in a unfinished state. (I haven't got the game but that's what the reviews say)
>>
>>48568838
Considering it seems like a buggier DF that costs FIFTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS and the dev has the gall to call it finished, yeah I can understand the backlash.

I'll just be over here playing a free game that's more in-depth, has more content, and the dev is still working on it. And look at that I can download a tileset if the ASCII isn't pretty enough for me.
>>
File: Tyler Dorfden.jpg (750KB, 1655x2568px) Image search: [Google]
Tyler Dorfden.jpg
750KB, 1655x2568px
>>
>>48567403
>>48567454

The human cows one is ShindoL.
>>
>>48568820
>>48568838

I figured as much, I dunno, like >>48568952 says why would I pay for a game I could get for free -especially if the free one is still being worked on, so I've never played. Plus, I think gnomes are kinda lame. Looks like rimworld could be cool though.

Kind of a shame about the developers though, seeing as gnomoria looked cool to me at the onset, but then I forgot about it until now.
>>
>>48559905
I don't suppose you (or anyone really) could tell me what tile set you are using and link me too it?
I tried to get into this game a while back, but a combination of frustration with military control and graphics made me rage quit. Probably gonna give it another shot.
>>
Is it possibile to play this on a phone?
>>
>>48570014
I feel like a solid hell no is in order. Maybe you could run it on a pc and remote control from a phone. But other then that it's not happening.
>>
>>48570014
Not in the slightest.
>>
>>48564499
Dorf Fort became huge here in late '07 after Boatmurdered got popular. /vg/ didn't exist then and /v/ probably didn't talk about videogames. /vg/ seems to have an active community which is nice, until 2010 or so there was pratically always a DF thread up here.

/tg/ made some big mods before /vg/ was even a twinkle in moot's eye. Like Kobold Camp with Weaver drawing a shitload of cutebold art, and the Goblin Fortress mod that eventually got lewder and lewder with gobbos raping their captives with masterwork dildos and artifact thongs that menace with spikes of steel until it was purged by Toady from the the bay12 forum where it had spread. I'm pretty sure I have some of the art saved somewhere that retold the legend of Towerrapes the Violentrape of Men, but sadly even suptg doesn't seem to have those threads archived.

But yeah, what the other anon said, Commander Keen wills it, dorfs are cool and /tg/ related.
>>
>>48563105
Set boogiemen types to 0 when you're creating the world. It's like getting into the raws and removing aquifers, you just have to.
>>
>>48570014
Noope.
It ramps up into a mad resource hog even on a full PC. Phone is categorically impossible.
>>
>Wandering along in a game of modded dorf fort as a small human village
>All going rather well
>Built what is essentially a giant wooden tenement block/wall to get that real peasant feeling
>Subsisting on a retarded amount of fish and eggs from the worrying cluster of unslaughtered chickens
>Haven't thought of setting up a military, only two civilizations generated in the world other from my human one so I'm not concerned(Beak wolves and Fiend Spiders)
>One bright day the cellar is being dug out, rye is being ground into flour, life is blooming, and deep in the bowels of the storage cellar, There is an announcement.
>A dwarf was digging away another cellar layer for the next few hundred unused pieces of wood, far behind any of the walls or entrances.
>"Urist McFuckingBadLuck was interrupted by a Dadu Bear"
>The miner proceeds to make a fighting retreat, punching the bear so many times it begins to violently vomit before escaping upstairs.
>Then, I sent in the real soldier, who ran down and kept punching the shit out of the bear.
>I was rather confused, but it seemed to be working, as the bear continued to violently vomit over the piles of cedar wood
>Eventually the militia captain catches a claw to the torso, falls unconscious, and is choked to death by a vomiting bear.
>The Miner is having none of this teleporting vomiting strangle bear, and without pausing to arm our armour himself, goes back down into the cellar and beats the shit out of the bear until it falls unconscious, allowing the new militiaman to come in and stab it.
>Just another day in the prosperous market town of Nudemarkets.
>>
File: strained-wrist.jpg (27KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
strained-wrist.jpg
27KB, 270x360px
>play .43 for the first time
>second batch of immigrants arrive after a couple of caravans have spread the news of our fort's great wealth afar in the dwarfdom
>great, I can finally speed up the construction of the surface walls
>Therapist doesn't appear to work with this version yet
>turn on masonry/carpentry/farmwork labors manually for every new arrival, the poor plebs get to join my migrant worker corps and shall live in squalor
>oh god they keep on coming
>fortress dwells from 11 to 42

Turning off skill-based labors in d_init.txt helped but holy fuck does my hand hurt after that shit
>>
>>48550155
An arena where you put monsters to fight each other.
>>
>>48570388
You could have just done it en masse with dwarf therapist. Two or three clicks.
>>
>>48550155
Magma and alcohol
>>
>>48570388
There's memory offsets for .43.03 for therapist, you just have to go back a page or two in it's thread on the forum.
Won't get offsets for 43.04/05 till DHack does, and who knows how long that'll take with the new compiler.
>>
>>48570469
So it works with .43 now? I downloaded the newest release (37.0.0) and it appears to only work for .42
>>
>>48570388
>>48570469

>Therapist doesn't appear to work with this version yet

Are you retarded, anon, or simply blind?
>>
>>48524173
I had this issue with Meremongooses. I really wanted to weaponize them, but the death and ghosts just set me back enough to just watch everyone turn.

I'll give it another go some time. Build some cages, and catch myself a wild were-something-or-other. Learn how to weaponize it then.
>>
>>48570571
Perhaps both. Sorry.
>>
>>48570549
Oh, thanks, I'll go back to that older release if necessary. But the 64 bit version is great, seems faster and more stable than before.

>>48570571
No need to be rude
>>
>>48565593
I AM

I'm making a world/system called the Land of Omen, named after the particularly interesting DF world it's based on. My players played a session in it and they loved it. I have over 100 pages of notes on the setting and even more info through things like Legends Viewer and exportable maps. By letting the players play as historical figures, I can give them families and other things that let them relate to the world. If anyone wants to know how I'm doing something, just ask!
>>
>>48551184
Glass mechanisms. Glass cages. Glass butchershops.

...what? They've got to eat.
>>
>A migrant has arrived.
>>
>>48571289
Thats even more I wanted. I just wanted to see people playing DF based RPG in general, but specific generated world may be even better.
>>
>>48566980
>my first fort, no military, my dogs and civilians killed werecavy, couldn't see how it turned out (if there would be spread of werecavies or not) because small goblin siege wiped out my practically undefended fort
>reclaim of this fort, another werebeast (dont remember what), killed in similar manner, I set up military but didn't figure how to train and order them until end of goblin siege what wiped out fort again, so didn't seen result of fighting werebeast and being bitten
>another reclaim, this time military figured out and armed, ready to take out sieges, werebeast appear but turn human after showing up, no more werebeast and my dorft holding fort for long
>>
>>48553231
Looks like some tunnels built into a stone cliff face. Pretty cool.
>>
>>48570730
Oh I know, I'm super excited about the 64 bit upgrade. But the change is so extensive it's likely gonna take months to update the tools. I'm so torn, I could play without therapist but aaaaaaaa those days were torture.
>>
>>48531038
What's wrong with Masterwork?
>>
>>48521176
It was made of coral. You should have used crushing weapons in the first place.

Also, when in doubt, casting in obsidian kills everything. Even a clown invasion can be thwarted by those who are gifted with creating large obsidian casting systems.
>>
>>48570678
>>48570730
Well, now I feel bad. Sorry.
>>
>>48573244
No Worries. I should have seen it before being so smug.
>>
>>48570256

>removing aquifers

I mean, whatever floats your boat. I usually edit the raws to make more sand/flux types, so I shouldn't be talking. That said, I kind of enjoyed the challenge of aquifers, and the fact that it guaranteed fresh water for your dorfs and flowing water for your waterwheels if you put it in a channel that ended in fortifications at the map edge
>>
>>48574683
me too
>>
>>48574683
I mean, unless you plan on doing a bunch of stuff in arid climates, you can just use a cistern. I just find aquifers to be unfun.
>>
File: screenshot.png (200KB, 1367x878px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
200KB, 1367x878px
>>48549101
I got you anon.
>>
>>48574683
>>48575461
>>48575493
aquifers feel a bit better when you remove them only from a few materials
i don't remember the exact configuration i used to have, but i think a general rule of thumb was 'silty' and 'silt' stuff kept aquifers
>>
>>48560339
It was a very brief bug.
>>
File: megadorf.png (653KB, 755x631px) Image search: [Google]
megadorf.png
653KB, 755x631px
So, who here has done a megaproject?
>>
>>48576523
Nah, I've mostly been plebbing around although I do appreciate the a̶u̶t̶i̶s̶m̶ craftsdwarfship some people put into them.
>>
>>48576523
Some part of my autism has made me want to try to grow every crop possible in one fort and make booze out of all of them. Unfortunately, this means that I'm best off not killing elves, since they're the prime source of plants I've never seen before. The most recent version has not helped me get any closer to my goal.
>>
How do you like to build your fortress floors?
What is the most stylish layout?
>>
>>48576756
Which floors?
>>
>>48570730
>No need to be rude
No need to be a little bitch but here you are.
>>
>>48577287
The first and second. I always hate building them because they always end up feeling like a huge mess of bedrooms and workshops. It doesn't help that I can't plan to save my life
>>
File: thats a.gif (447KB, 196x181px) Image search: [Google]
thats a.gif
447KB, 196x181px
>>48576523
.... why does it have a dick?
And why is it black?
And what the hell is with the lower left region? Did he just start randomly paving shit?
So many questions...
>>
>>48577690

Dicks where the lava comes out, duh.
>>
>>48577376
>bedrooms on the first floor
uwotm8? Bedrooms should be 9 levels below the surface. Noise carries 8 tiles from logging, digging, and removing constructions, and 4 tiles from engraving and fortification carving.

>>48577766
If lava is coming out of there, he should have that looked at.
>>
>>48577976
>Bedrooms should be 9 levels below the surface. Noise carries 8 tiles from logging, digging, and removing constructions, and 4 tiles from engraving and fortification carving.
none of that stuff is true in the current version
>>
>>48578378
What the fuck are you talking about? afaik, this is true of up to v0.43.04 and I can't find anything in the changelog between that and v0.43.05 that says anything about noise.
>>
>>48578525
have you seen a dwarf get an unhappy thought about noise in the current version, though?

the changelog isn't perfect. I started playing DF in 40.02 and I've never seen any reference to noise in-game - no unhappy thoughts, no dwarves waking up inexplicably, etc

if you look at the wiki article on noise, it's identical all the way back to v0.28. clearly it's just been ported over, presumably in anticipation of the mechanic maybe being reintroduced in a later patch
>>
>>48578915
I could have sworn that I have. Otherwise, I would have never looked it up to begin with, seeing as I started playing again right before v2012. I played some when it was still 2D, but it's so different that it doesn't really matter.
>>
How do I get something to attack me? I'm almost done armoring my 40-dwarf military and I'm kinda bored...
>>
>>48579062
embark near something that will attack you. goblins are the usual, a necromancer tower is more challenging.

if you embarked in the middle of nowhere or on a secluded island or something, the most you can hope for is the odd megabeast
>>
>>48579062
You have to increase the wealth of your fortress. The easiest way is to engrave all of your walls and floors. Also >>48579087. You should have seen what civilizations were nearby before you embarked.
>>
>>48579062

When I get bored and want my military to kill something I tend to start a massacre of local animalpeople and other creatures in the caverns.
>>
>>48579105
I always seem to invite early attacks by sending my surplus stone (i.e. all of it) to craftshops to be made into granite earrings and uranium goblets.
>>
>standard ole' hyper-efficient superfort
>Started with talented siegecrafter or w/e it's called
>Churn out 3 masterwork ballista and stagger them to fire repeatedly down the long hallway of death
>use my dorf fort skills to set a system of clockwork shift rotation of siege operators and ballistae bolt retrievers, ultimately 20 dwarves in total.
>forget about it and work on everything else
>finally a goblin invasion, 40 strong! It's obliterated in the death hallway
>Dragon
>undead beasts
>forgotten beasts
>careless management of caravans triggering a war
>more goblins
>I mostly ignore it, other than my distant desire to collect the goblinite, I trust my instinct to never turn off the infinite barrage of ballista bolts from legendary siege operators from their masterwork ballista.
>Then the necromancer shows up
>The impossible numbers of corpses in the death hallway rise all at once
>The hallway is choked with the undead. The bolts lose energy before reaching the end of the hallway where they fall to another z-level to be retrieved. Ammunition begins to deplete.
>I abandon every other fortress project and turn everything into ballista bolt manufacturing in real time.
>>
>>48579182
You mean surplus after making doors, thrones, tables, coffers, cabinets, large pots, nest boxes, mugs, jugs, hives, bridges, weapon racks, armor stands, and mechanisms? You can use some of it in training dwarves on catapults for seige operation.

>>48579789
Objects on the ground affect ballista bolts? News to me, but I rarely embark near necromancers, since I'm not that good. I'm quite fond of using my fucktons of silver to make crossbows and bolts for traps. If only there were a blunt trap component.
>>
>>48579789
Next time: Maybe incorporate some way to force the remains into a lava pit or something?

And, naturally, a second hallway of death and gates between them and the outside world, to preclude this happening again.
>>
>>48580333
>Objects on the ground
I think he's talking about the dozens of animated corpses (ie. creatures) the bolts were hitting
>>
File: df_best_mayor.png (494KB, 934x2665px) Image search: [Google]
df_best_mayor.png
494KB, 934x2665px
>>
4chan's fps dropped, immigrant wave?
>>
>>48582927
Nah, just cats.
>>
>>48577690
>why does it have a dick
So they can piss on trade caravans/migrants and tell them it's raining.
>>
Does anyone have any good ideas on making the game more interesting? a few months ago I played DF for the first time and quite enjoyed it. I ran two fortresses into the ground and I liked to think I got the hang of it. I stopped playing after a while because other games caught my attention.

Now this thread spurred me to reinstall it, but for some reason it doesn't interest me as much anymore. I WANT to play it, but it all just feels the same to me now.
>>
Do you guys play with or without "graphic" mods?
>>
>>48583731
Without, although I usually change the colors into something with brighter dark blue and a yellow that's actually yellow. Not sure which color I like the most, though.

Oh, and sometimes I change the tileset into something square. Rectangular tiles are irritating as fuck when you want to make a square room of any size - not just for OCD reasons, but also because it make it harder to judge distances by eye. I've accidentally screwed up some room layouts that way.

>>48583612
Embark on a different place, with different hazards? Challenge yourself by building a fortress in non-traditional ways, like inside the caverns? Build a megaproject? Work on automation with minecarts and whatnot?
>>
This got me in the mood for dwarf fort again.

Just had everyone in my fort die of dehydration because I forgot about setting up water sources, it all froze in the winter and it took me too long realise what was happening.

I love this game.

>>48583731
Without, once you get the hang of it it's pretty straight forward. although >>48583765 has a point about the rectangular tiles.
>>
>>48583731
I use either Phoebus or Ironhand from LNP
>>
>>48583818
You didn't have enough booze?
>>
>>48584099
I had a still but I forgot to get it producing.

I have not played in a while.

Having said that I've always seem to run out of plump helmets any advice for food production or is it as simple as more farms?
>>
>>48584131
Don't let plump helmets be cooked; that destroys the seeds. Just eat them raw and distill them.
>>
>>48576523
I've conquered hell, built a wall around it, floored over the glowing pits, flooded the place, drained it again, and grown trees in the mud. How's THAT for a megaproject!
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.