[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a system where the primary "level up" mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: dreadfang_swords.sword0_feature.jpg (435KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dreadfang_swords.sword0_feature.jpg
435KB, 1920x1080px
Is there a system where the primary "level up" mechanic is getting new equipment and weapons? An example would be "level one" is a musket, "level two" is single shot rifle, "level three" is a semi auto rifle with 20 rounds. The progression is clear and losing that item takes away your "levels."

I really want to run a game without "classes" where you tell whose the "thief" by what they have. That guy has a lock picking kit, rope, and daggers. A person on the street would call him a thief or similar. Take away those items and give the same guy a warhorse, full plate, and a long sword? They would be called a knight.

I want a system where you are what you are based on what you have and "leveling" up is mostly just getting more familiar with your tools. New "class abilities" come from getting new items. That way anyone could theoretically do anything. Nothing is stopping the "knight" from honing his skills with a lock pic besides not having one.

Does such a system exist or am I going to have to come up with my own and hope for the best?
>>
GURPS
>>
>>48422216
That's really not how GURPS works without a ton of fundamental changes. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>48422216
>>48422293
I expected as much. I dont remember anything like what I want when I skimmed over it.
>>
>>48422196
This sounds like a terrible system
>>
>>48422516
Why?

It sounds great since I can reward people with items and not have them just go "Can anyone use this? No? No one can use bows? Ok were just gonna sell it and split the gold." Now if I give them an item that does a thing someone can get it and use it.
>>
>>48422196
Just a thought OP, but shouldn't there be some personal skill involved? Like if you train with horse and lance while you wear plate armor you Could swap to dagger and leathers, but you would be the worst fucking thief on the planet. Make everyone worthless at start, and the gear they choose to use often they will be better at.
>>
>>48422196
You could look into something like BESM and set up all the abilities through equipment. Pretty easy to do, just remember to still give some XP so they can buy mundane skills too.
>>
>>48422564
>I want a system where you are what you are based on what you have and "leveling" up is mostly just getting more familiar with your tools

Thats what I mean by what I said here. If you use your tools often you get better at them. But nothing is stopping you except having the tools. So if the party finds say a grappling hook. Anyone can use it and get good with it despite what they already do.

So something like every 100 exp you get to put a point in an item you have. Now you basically have +1 when using that item or something similar.
>>
>>48422570
Big Eyes, Small Mouth? If so I'll look into the system.
>>
>>48422196
Does everyone have the same skill with each of the items you mentioned? Is "picking locks" only applicable when using those exact tools on exactly the type of lock they're designed for, or can it apply to other locking mechanisms? Do you acquire skill with one type of sword independently of another?

If the items don't grant an innate ability to use them, then why can't you use literally any classless system? All you're describing is scarcity, or monitoring inventory more closely.
>>
>>48422196
shadowrun is classless with a focus on character skills and equipment.
>>
>>48422599
In the cases you're talking about, items are just modifiers, which is fine for what you want.

A grappling hook gives a bonus to climbing. If you're shit at climbing, it'll make a huge difference, or none at all.

Even in D&D--which is hardly degined as a flexible system--any of your characters could use that bow. It just isn't as great an option as what the characters specialize in.
>>
>>48422821
You bringing that up reminds me of people that would rather skip their turn than take a penalty to an action. Some people hate moving outside of their specialty.
>>
>>48422196
Sid Meier's Civilization
>>
>>48422613
That's it. Note that 3rd edition is much cleaned up compared to previous, but the point values look crazy in comparison. It's all based on the value of an effect to the rest of the game though, and there are several types of "item" power that represent some bit of gear containing other abilities, like a sword contains Weapon stat and a witch's broom probably contains low level Fly.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.