[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any systems that are good for more Mundane Sci-Fi adventures?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: isaac-asimov.jpg (107KB, 807x1138px) Image search: [Google]
isaac-asimov.jpg
107KB, 807x1138px
Are there any systems that are good for more Mundane Sci-Fi adventures? By which I mean that rather than focusing Interstellar Exploration or a William Gibson wet dream, it instead focuses on more mundane adventures. Something like more akin to Classic Science Fiction Anthologies, or works produced by Arthur C. Clarke and Asimov. Generally with a focus on critical thinking, problem solving, or investigation.

Bonus points if it's easy to get into with running One-Shots in mind.

Suggestions that make you a Cuntwaif:
-GURPS
-Powered by the Apocalypse/Dungeon World
>>
Gumshoe has a sci-fi version, I think.

The more thoughtful generic systems tend to handle such stuff well enough. If you don't like GURPS, there's BRP.

Basically though, games where most stuff is solved by thinking things through generally don't depend heavily on the system.
>>
File: 1407403070231.jpg (79KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1407403070231.jpg
79KB, 500x375px
Engine Heart's good for littlest Toaster meets Wall-E after mankind sort of stories.

Game's free on Viral's site.

http://viralgamespublishing.com/2.html
>>
>>48419341

I was about to help you, because Asimov and Clarke are great, but then you pre-emptively shat on folks who like GURPS or PBtA, and now I kind of feel like you're a dick, and I'd rather not have you turn up in one of my groups. Stay out of my favorite system.
>>
>>48419967
My issue with GURPS is very slight, only that it's more complex than a simple One-shot system. And the fact that any time somebody asks for a system, any system, somebody always suggests GURPS. Yeah, we get it, we can play anything in Gurps, but we'd rather NOT dedicate a full session or two to character creation, especially if it's a one-shot.

**Skub Warning**
My issue with PBTA is that the Dungeon World Fags will suggest it no matter what
Also, I'm on the 5e side of things, so while I do see the good points of the system, I'd still rather just hack 5e to do what I want.
>>
>>48420164
GURPS Lite
GURPS Ultra-Lite
>>
>>48420164
>My issue with PBTA is that the Dungeon World Fags will suggest it no matter what

The last time I saw a recommendation for DW it was appropriate, the time before that it was a troll and when I called him on it, he said he was recommending it "sarcastically" then started shitting anti-DW meme macros all over the thread.
It certainly doesn't come up as much as GURPS.
>>
>>48419341
Infinity RPG is more or less exactly what you are looking for.
>>
>>48419341
SHOCK is a game designed for social science fiction. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I'm throwing out there
>>
Stars Without Number is pretty good.
>>
>>48420759
Holy fuck somebody other than me knows about SHOCK
>>
>>48421156
have you played it before? i just found the pdf of it and it looks fun as hell to play.
>>
What about D6 Space? It's simple, fun and free.
>>
>>48421192
No, I've always wanted to play it though.
>>
>>48421156
>>48420759
The game itself looks interesting based on the premise. However, it seems more like a Free-form RPG system that would incorporate well into other systems rather than simply play it on its own.
>>
>>48419341
Traveler might be worth taking a look at. There is plenty of space when you measure complexity between AW and GURPS, but it will shock no one that how easy it is to run as a one-shot depends on the group.
>>
>>48419341
>Something like more akin to Classic Science Fiction Anthologies, or works produced by Arthur C. Clarke and Asimov. Generally with a focus on critical thinking, problem solving, or investigation.
This isn't really something supported r handled by mechanics.
In most classic task resolution systems, you could do this fine. You just have to write an adventure that requires these skills of your players and still feels satisfying. Tricky.
>>
Best Asimov story vs. best Clarke story.

Go
>>
>>48424343
Are we going Overall popularity, or best by emotionally moving? It's either The Last Question or The Ugly Little Boy for Asimov.
>>
>>48421280
Shock is built to be run without the use of a GM, like Cosmic Patrol or Fiasco. It's not actually an rpg and literally just a collaborative storytelling experience with rules. Trying to incorporate into another system would defeat the purpose of playing Shock entirely.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.