[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In theory, not having instants in a card game lets you increase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: HolyAwe.jpg (63KB, 310x436px) Image search: [Google]
HolyAwe.jpg
63KB, 310x436px
In theory, not having instants in a card game lets you increase complexity in other areas without overloading the game, but are there games where that's actually the case and they're not just simplified all-around?
>>
Why that titty shooting lasers tho?
>>
>>48412118
What else is a sky titty gonna do?
>>
>>48412067
All the LCGs have a lack of instant speed plays, but usually have reactions, that are played in response to some criteria.

Deadlands worked much the same way.

VS actions tend to be discreet.

DBZ didn't really have instants.

I don't remember instant speed being a thing in UFS.

Pokemon has no instant speed that I can think of.

All these game are legit in strategy and card design.
>>
>>48412067
Two (weeb) tcgs I've tried recently, Wixoss and Weiss Schwarz (this one not recommended) did away with 'instants', and the only window to play spells on your opponent's turn is at the start of the battle phase. In paper, I didn't notice much difference in interaction, but, crucially, online it made a world of difference. Anyone who knows how necessary f6 is in mtgo, or has set a trap you can activate in response to pretty much anything in ygopro knows how horrifically clunky priority systems are in online formats. Given that having an online option for your game (officially or otherwise) seems more and more important going forwards, 'instants' as they are in mtg seem less and less worthwhile, especially given that games like Wixoss prove you can achieve similarly interactive games without nearly so many priority stops.
>>
>>48412240
Rain milk, obviously.
>>
>>48412962
Acid milk ?
>>
>>48412677
I wouldn't say games are harder to play online. Good players eventually learn proper etiquette and play and around the same pace as online. People don't realize how often they fuck up by playing in an improper way until they do it a lot.
>>
Does Prismata qualify as a card game? It doesn't have instants.
>>
>>48412540

Pokemon had a format with instant speed cards. They were beyond broken. Maybe look for a sableye donkey vs luxchomp match. So cancer.
>>
>>48412677

>hurr what are backups

Did you even play weiss or are you talking out of your ass?
>>
>>48412677
This is why Dueling Network was the best for Yugioh.
>>
File: 1049058.jpg (272KB, 322x450px) Image search: [Google]
1049058.jpg
272KB, 322x450px
>>48415051
>only window to play spells on your opponent's turn is at the start of the battle phase
Sure, Wiess's window is after declare attacks, but it's the same thing: there is one window to play things on your opponent's turn, not constant priority passes.

>>48413356
I'm not sure about harder, true enough. It just makes the system overly clunky, which would be fine if instants were worth it, but in terms of making a fundamentally solid tcg, I don't think they're necessary.

I'm not knocking mtg or anything here, they've made it work for them, and it really is the least of mtgo's problems, but if one were to set out to make a new tcg today, I would probably give true 'instants' a pass.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.