[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What system could I use to run a game based on a virtual world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: summer-wars-201.jpg (996KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
summer-wars-201.jpg
996KB, 1920x1080px
What system could I use to run a game based on a virtual world like the ones from Sburb, Digimon or Summer Wars?
>>
GURPS
>>
>sburb
Bleach chugging.

The rest are fine.
>>
>>48401957
Exalted, maybe?

Considering it's a fictional world and the shit that both Digimon and Homestuck can pull off, you can get everything that you want there.
>>
>>48401957
D20. Hear me out. You handwave all the stupid broken bullshit and quirky nonsense of the system as being "lol thats just how the world world." PC's and NPCs alike are aware of it. Basically like Order of the Stick.

>>48402136
You're mean.
>>
>>48402198
The problem with exalted is that it isn't really good at running anything other than exalted. The basic mechanics would work fine (especially if you stick to 3rd ed) but you'd have to scrap literally everything else and build from the ground up.
>>
>>48401957
What's that picture from?

I think many systems could conceivably work, but perhaps some seperate rules for RL vs Digital stuff, when in RL you use a more realism based system while in the digital world you use a gamy system...though that would be hard to run.
>>
>>48403555
If you're going to do that, you could do 4e or some other real gamey system.

If OP had asked for Mega Man Battle Network I would have recommended 1000 Blank, White Cards, but he didn't so I guess that idea won't work.
>>
>>48403606
>What's that picture from?

Summer Wars, the best Digimon film ever.
>>
>>48403555
>D20. Hear me out. You handwave all the stupid broken bullshit and quirky nonsense of the system as being "lol thats just how the world world." PC's and NPCs alike are aware of it. Basically like Order of the Stick.
Just because you have an in-universe justification for wonky mechanics doesn't make them good mechanics. If it's a shit system it's a shit system.

I've never played much D20, so I can't say for sure just how bad it is, but it's just stupid to say that an in-setting justification for the mechanics of a system equals a justification for using the system, no matter how good or bad the system is.
>>
You could try running a Shadowrun campaign with an all-decker party. That would solve the problem the matrix rules being so far removed from the rest of the system.

>>48402098
Which supplements?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.