[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a setting that brings the Age of Imperialism into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: bring your treasure to work day.jpg (215KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
bring your treasure to work day.jpg
215KB, 594x334px
I want to make a setting that brings the Age of Imperialism into the "fairy world". Basically it's 'The Hidden Realm', filled with old-style fairies and things from folklore, which the colonial powers are accessing through a mysterious archipelago that emerged in the Atlantic ocean.

Players would form a multinational group of plucky explorers, seeking treasure and glory for King and Country.

I'm leaning towards using Savage Worlds for this, because it seems pretty pulp. What are some interesting concepts that I could turn into mechanics to make it feel more complete with the setting?
>>
So like, a pulp adventure version of Stardust?
>>
>>48398532
I've never actually seen Stardust.

I figured there'd be an independent city that the Imperialists conquered, and it's neutral by treaty. There'd be all these old temples and ancient ruins and maybe even old gods and goddesses who retreated to the mortal world after the ascension of monotheism.

I was thinking about letting players play as Sidhe, which would fill the 'natives' role in the setting, but I don't know how to make them fun and interesting while keeping the normal human invaders fun an interesting.
>>
Steal from this guy:

https://lurkerablog.wordpress.com/tag/counter-colonial-heistcrawl/
>>
>>48397788
The hidden realm has a collectable magic entity that can power equipment beyond the current technology level.

But denizens of the Hidden Realm use that entity for their own stuff, so now there's a fight over it.
>>
Bump for interest.
>>
File: 1468560179235.jpg (108KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468560179235.jpg
108KB, 350x500px
>>48397788
Yes, it's Castle Falkenstein!
>>
>>48397788

So is this an intentional riff on the Irish concept of Immram, the voyage tales? Because if it is, that's great, I really like the idea. If not, then you should absolutely raid the voyage tales for inspiration, plus the legends about Manannán mac Lir.
>>
>>48403753
I wikipedia'd it, and it says the rules are more geared towards live-action roleplaying, do you know if that's true?
>>48404433
Sort of, but more about adventure within the Otherworld than the journey there. I figured to get there, explorers would sail through a fog that appears between to islands on a new moon or something like that, coming out of the other side in the Otherworld.

I'll definitely check these out though. Irish/Celtic mythology was my first source of inspiration.
>>
>>48407526

The Immram tales aren't tales about journeys to the Otherworld (though they involve that) but journeys THROUGH the Otherworld. The Irish believed the Otherworld could be found in a lot of places; under the hollow hills, under lakes and under the sea, but one of the most consistent places is across the Atlantic. Immram stories usually involve a hero who sails into the Atlantic and gets lost or breaks a geas or something and finds himself blown off course, into the enchanted isles of the Otherworld. There they must wander until they can find a way home or until they right whatever taboo they broke. Look up The Voyage of Mael Dúin, The Voyage of the Uí Chorra, and The Voyage of Snedgus and Mac Riagla, and especially The Voyage of Bran. Maybe also the Voyage of Saint Brendan.

Things, for example, that Mael Dúin encountered in his journey:

>an island overrun by giant ants
>a silver tower jutting out of the sea and disappearing into the clouds, with no visible entrance, and sad singing drifting down from above
>an island inhabited by a monster that revolved within its own skin
>an island where the seawater shot up in a giant arc over the island, like a rainbow made of water
>a rocky islet inhabited by a filthy giant who would scream "I AM THE MILLER WHO TURNS THE MILL OF HELL" at passing ships
>and island where lamenters in hooded robes travel too and from unknown origins to unknown destinations; anyone who addresses or touches them starts weeping, throws on a robe, and joins them
>an island completely cut off by a wall of solid gold
>an island with a town and fort abandoned of all life, save one white cat; in the fort there is a feast and treasures, and the food is free to eat but if anyone takes any treasure the car will jump through him and set him on fire

You get the idea. A setting in which colonial Imperialists try to sail to and colonize these sorts of bizarre otherworldly islands would be great.
>>
>>48407872
Thanks! That sorta thing is pretty much exactly what I'm going for.
>>
>>48398532
>So like, a pulp adventure version of Stardust?
Damn, I haven't thought about Stardust since I saw it in the theater. I never read the book, but I loved the movie.

>>48399497
I liked it, you might not, should watch it anyway.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.