[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a card game. Need some input. It won't be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (248KB, 788x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248KB, 788x612px
I'm making a card game. Need some input. It won't be commercially sold, I'm just printing some shit on cardstock for my friends and I.

Imagine a game a lot like MTG (so it's easy to get into), but without color types. I *really* don't want color types in my game, but what can I put in to substitute the variety that color types offers?
>>
>>48383322

No much. Ultimately any categorical separation is a variant of colour types, and without that your players are simply building with the most efficient cards in the game without restriction.

Android: Netrunner, for example, seems different on the surface but can be thought of as a game with exactly two colours and requiring red v blue mono decks fight every game.
>>
>>48383693
Well damn. I'm mostly doing this so I can have a system where every card in your hand can (once a turn) be discarded and added to the field acting as a resource (same effect as mana). That prevents mana flooding and mana screwing, but it makes it hard to separate types.

I like the system of cards being able to generate a resource of their color/type when they're tapped, but those cards are designated when they're played in a specific resource zone.
>>
>>48383693
But that's wrong. Netrunner has three colors on the Runner side and four colors on the Corp side.
And you almost never have mono-colored decks.
>>
>>48383322
It's hard to be helpfull with only that, but let's be clear, if you start by "I want to do like this game but without this element", you're gonna have more difficulties than just trying to make your own rules.
>>
>>48384501
Thanks. That makes a really good point.
>>
>>48383744
>I like the system of cards being able to generate a resource of their color/type when they're tapped, but those cards are designated when they're played in a specific resource zone.
You do realize that such a system is literally easier to do than lands, right?
>Cards have color
>color designates what it can tap for
>also designates cost
>hard mode: 2 toned cards cost both to cast, but can be played in either direction to indicate what they tap for
>>
>>48384510
I would have loved to help you more, but I'm busy making an equivalent of /agdg/ for board game... (--> /bgmg/ <--)
>>
>>48383744
Sounds like the VS Sysytem resources.
>>
>>48383693
You can categorize in card design. Make some cards obviously synergy and nonbo with each others and presto, you got yourself colors without fucking your resource system like magic did.
>>
>>48385350
That's basically how Yugioh works without colored resources.
>>
>>48383744
Anon ignore the nay sayers your intitial concept will work ,by simply giving each card a 'synergy' class type at design step.
think 'Mirran' or 'Phyrexian' or 'Clan' etc. text box background symbol plus a generic (artifact) type with no class.
My meta hating colour screw created a no land format ,were any card could be played in the 'land zone' and be tapped for 1 mana of it's colours or generic ,and 1/2 mana of any other colour (alot later wizards came up with hybred mana e.g.2/R,2/W etc. that triggered nostalga in the group that has become less casual/kitchen table since then)
All went better than expected.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.