[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would the Spanish Empire in space work? Keeping in mind that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 45.jpg (358KB, 503x800px) Image search: [Google]
45.jpg
358KB, 503x800px
How would the Spanish Empire in space work? Keeping in mind that it consisted of a small elite that went places, fucked the locals, and took all of the valuables without building up useful infrastructure.
>>
>>48371467
Space pirates with some sort of aristocracy.
>>
>>48371467
What a cool idea. I mean, for an MMO, not a tabletop game.
>>
>>48371467
>>48371467
>it consisted of a small elite

Two things wrong already. First, Conquistadores weren't elites. Second, they always had native auxiliaries in major engagements.

>without building up useful infrastructure.
Because the entire idea of Spanish colonization was to use existing infrastructure to rule their colonies. Which they did.

You seem like a dumb American who knows nothing of world history.
>>
>>48373564

Nothing you said actually contradicted anything he said. You're just being an asshole.
>>
>>48373613
>Dude 300 Spartans held off the Persians!
>Pretty sure they had a couple of thousand other Greeks helping.
>Stop being an asshole!

>Dude the Garmans sunk the Lusitania, an innocent ship!
>Pretty sure that the Brits had intentionally hidden munitions in it so wasn't quite so innocent.
>Stop being an asshole!
>>
>>48371467
I'm getting a Fading Suns vibe.
>>
>>48373787
No anon, that all happened in your head.
>>
>>48373564
Conquistadors were mostly the third and later sons of minor nobles, I think.
Went off to get glory, honor, money after the reconquista finished.
>>
>>48371467
Yes, because the Spanish empire just razed the lands and didn't actually build an imperium that lasted 400 years.
>>
>>48371467
>How would the Spanish Empire in space work?

It would only work as long as it was militarily successful and conquered enough treasure to pay off its loans. The Spanish Empire had a notorious debt problem, and defaulted many times because it couldn't raise enough taxes.

> a small elite that went places

They were "elite," in that they were good fighters, but they were usually the cast-offs of nobility and dregs of societies who had literally nothing left back in Spain, so they took the chance on the open sea and in foreign shores.

>fucked the locals,

Not to downplay the importance of Spanish leadership and their incredible military skill when conquering the New World (because Cortez and Pissarro were EXTREMELY good tacticians and leaders, and Cortez was outright described by the Aztecs as a formidable warrior in combat) but they also made incredibly effective use of local allies (To the tune of between 20,000-60,000 native allies when conquering the Triple Alliance), so they had a lot of help.

>and took all of the valuables without building up useful infrastructure.

In the New World, they actually made a very concerted effort to establish systems of government that thoroughly and effectively controlled their colonies through Viceroys and other systems, to better extract their wealth while also at least "attempting" to convert the locals to Christianity and "uplift" them (though some Viceroys were more eager to help than others). In fact, one of the major reasons that the Latin American colonies rebelled was the adoption of liberal reforms by Spain, as they sought to keep the "real" Spanish system alive in the Western Hemisphere.

The robbed the place blind, though, you're absolutely right about that.
>>
>>48373787
You're a character
>>
>>48371467
Rogue Traders.
>>
>>48371467
>Keeping in mind that I have almost no grasp of actual history and so you'll have to use my stereotype.
>>
how do i do the East India Trading Company in space?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.