[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you institute a Endbringer type enemy in your setting/campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (161KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 900x506px
How would you institute a Endbringer type enemy in your setting/campaign?

To clarify, an Endbringer is something from the superhero web-book "Worm" that is such a massive threat to humanity that whenever one appears there is a cease fire/temporary truce between all sides to fight the thing. Casualties are %25 on a good day.
>>
>>48354894
Like they do in Worm. Giant creatures with a convoluted origin that bad guys and good guys throw down walls and kick some ass, before getting their shit wrecked.
>>
Isn't that what a tarresque is supposed to be in ye old D&D?
>>
>>48355837
yeah. DMs just used it wrong. they waited until the tarrasque was at an appropriate challenge rating to put it into the game, instead of throwing it at level 10 characters who have to organize a defense of all the most powerful heroes of the realm before it reaches the capital city
>>
>>48354894
Atropal
Size/Type: Large Undead (Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 792 hp hp
Initiative: +6
Speed: 5 ft., fly 240 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 51
Full Attack: 2 touches +49 (2d6 Con drain/19-20) melee touch, eye ray +30 (Energy Drain damage/19-20) ranged touch
Special Attacks: Constitution drain, Energy Drain (2d4 Energy Drains, fort=DC 59), spell-like abilities, summon nightcrawler
Special Qualities: Abomination traits, undead traits, rebuke/command undead, regeneration 20, SR 42, DR 15/good and epic and silver, negative energy aura
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +26, Will +43
Abilities: Str 43, Dex 15, Con –, Int 28, Wis 22, Cha 42
Feats Alertness, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Devastating Critical (touch), Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (eye ray), Improved Critical (touch), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Overwhelming Critical (touch), Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Run, Spring Attack, Undead Mastery, Weapon Focus (eye ray), Weapon Focus (touch), Whirlwind Attack, Zone of Animation
Challenge Rating: 30

Spell-Like At will—animate dead, blasphemy, greater create undead, create undead, cone of cold, desecrate, greater dispel magic, finger of death, greater invisibility, plane shift, slay living, speak with dead, spectral hand, greater teleport, unholy aura; 5/day—haste, project image, weird. Caster level 30th; save DC 26 + spell level.
Negative Energy Aura (Su): A 30-foot-radius spread negative energy aura spreads from each atropal. All undead in the field (including the atropal) are treated as if having turn resistance +20 and a negative energy version of fast healing 20. Living creatures in the aura are treated as having ten Energy Drains unless they have some sort of negative energy protection or protection from evil. Creatures with 10 or fewer HD or levels perish (and, at the atropal’s option, rise as spectres under the atropal’s command 1 minute later).
>>
>>48355968
My party is currently level 11 and should be around 12 max at the end, MAYBE 13 if things get sidetracked and they do more cool shit. My current plan is to throw the Tarrasque at them as the final boss.
>>
>>48355774
Could someone tell me what the fuck Worm is?
>>
>>48356051
>be me
>post this
>then read OP more closely
ignore me, I am clearly at maximum autism at present.
>>
>>48356051
A guy on the internet wrote a really long bit of original fiction and published it serially. It's finished now, about 4-5 novels in length, and is generally considered to be a well written and original take on the superhero genre.
>>
There should be like two weeks of in-game warning so a emergency council of sorts can be assembled and the players can get some intense role playing in trying to balance out all the factions and races so they'll cooperate to destroy a common threat.
>>
>>48354894
The warnings occur over the course of the campaign, in the form of tremors or bursts of highly evil magic.
If the players don't seek out answers, NPCs will tell them about the monster as a matter of course.
Assuming for the sake of dramatic effect that it can't just be wished away, people either start freaking out or come up with a way to fight it.

Petty thievery and murder skyrocket as less scrupulous members of the population realize they're doomed anyways or try to exploit and loot the homes of those who flee- or rob them as they conveniently bring out all that jewelry.

Maybe some sort of cult of the apocalypse sponsors knife fights and orgies because they desperately need some sort of sensation to ignore their impending doom.

Religious wars erupt as deities and clerics who want to make sure the world stays alive conflict with doomsayers, evil religions/cults, and ur-priests who would rather watch the world burn.

Happily, there are a lot of impromptu proposals so that lovers can spend their seemingly final days together, usually eloping or fleeing as a pair.

Old men and women considered too old to fight or help decide the whippersnappers can shove it, because one more set of hands is one more set of hands and we're all going to die anyways.

The greatest heroes in the world, hundreds if not thousands of the best and brightest, show up to fight this thing in solidarity. If they win, they and their future children set the stage for a new golden age, if the ecosystem can be coerced to renew itself.

And then it shows up.
Take a statblock for Tiamat or another monstrous deity, depending on system, soup up the engine and tear out the brakes.
>>48356028 might do nicely, but it should probably be multiple statblocks to represent the sheer scale of the damn thing, and take multiple turns.
The whole party is asked to roll to not shit themselves, and everything they came up with over the course of a few months or so of crafting is leveraged. Fight's on.
>>
>>48354894

Insect Spirits in Shadowrun.
>>
>>48354894

They don't translate well to tabletop, even if (perhaps especially because) Wildbow rolled dice to determine who died.

Treating them like the Elder Evils book does would work well enough.
>>
>>48357490
Wait. He really did roll dice? Even for skitter?
>>
File: taiia.png (679KB, 927x900px) Image search: [Google]
taiia.png
679KB, 927x900px
>>48356028
Abominations are scary as shit when you read about them, but less so when you fight them. They have high stats but they're meant to be beaten.

>>48356805
Tiamat is nice, but we can do better. Gods are normally meant to be "you cannot fucking fight me bitch" but we need something with a higher Divine Rank.

Meet Taiia.

Taiia is a god 3.5's Deities and Demigods. She is a sample deity from a monotheistic pantheon, and holds the title of highest Divine Rank of any printed deity. Corellon, Moradin, Odin, and the big Egyptian dude top out at a mere DR 19. Taiia is 20.

Taiia is as close as we can get to the abrahamic "God" we're all familiar with, without just having stats that say, "I have the power to do anything and can never be killed." Her stat box is so long I can't even post it here - it exceeds the character limit.

The only way to go beyond Taiia is to either straight-up homebrew something, or bust out the Immortals Handbook. And frankly if you throw a Neutronium Golem at your setting and the entire solar system isn't fucking destroyed, what the fuck kind of game are you even playing anymore?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.