[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets say a low magic undead kingdom was raised sometime during

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

Lets say a low magic undead kingdom was raised sometime during the medieval period, because reasons. These are the kind of zombies that are sapient enough to think, plan, and do whatever a kingdom would need them to do. However they can't "infect" through biting and have to raise new zombies necromancer style. Said corpses used for raising needs to be very old and rotten. Not to aged that it's a skeleton, but certainly not fresh.
What would happen and how would the rest of the world react? Assuming they are enough to be a military power of that era.
>>
>>48348551
I'm pretty sure the undead are fucked on Earth, and religious nations would unite against them.
>>
>>48348551
>low magic
>undead kingdom
>>
>>48348636
Low magic isn't the same as no magic anon. Enough to raise dead, not enough to do anything else.
>>
>>48348551
Dependsonthesetting.jpg

How do the zombie diplomats present themselves to the other nations? What scarce resources are there within zombie territory? Who used to occupy that territory? How did they get along with the neighbors? How well are the neighbors getting along with each other at the moment? Why? For how long?

My default assumption is that the low-magic realms of the living would try to goad each other into attacking the new unknown player on the scene, hoping to use the zombies to wear down their longstanding rivals.
>>
>>48348658
Nonsapient zombies are low magic. Sapient ones who run a kingdom are high magic
>>
>>48348551
Low magic just means that the setting takes place on earth. Any other description on the meaning is just arbitrary preferences that don't mean anything and spawns useless arguments like.
>>48348636
>>48348658
>>48348829

To answer your question though, I assume burning corpses would become extremely common over traditional burial and then the problem would solves itself in a century when the undead kingdom gets plagued by carrion birds and scavengers and they have to spend all their resources figuring out how to get dogs from snatching peoples femurs.
>>
>>48348895
agree

>>48348551
when there is a new nation there are several factors that need to be accounted for.
1.) how powerful is there military
>too powerful and there neighbors will sign a defensive pact
>not powerful enough and they will see it as an easy target for land and wealth
2.) the level of stability in the neighboring kingdoms
>too little and they might not risk waging war to keep lords happy
>too much and they will see this new kingdom as an illegitimate government and a usurperdom and a threat to there hierarchical authority
3.) is the new kingdom willing to make pacts with gilds
>kingdom might see this as a threat to there economy
>kingdom might seek profit
>kingdom might see it as kingdom inflating there power

all i can think of at the moment
>>
>>48349051
forgot

4.) diplomacy
>hostile / aggressive
>isolationist
5.) neighbors loss of resources
>direct effect loss from land
>indirect loss from trade
6.) religion
>random
>>
>>48348697
>How did they get along with the neighbors? How well are the neighbors getting along with each other at the moment?
How would you react to fucking zombies suddenly showing up next to your country for no real reason?
>>
>>48348551
In low magic, The best explanation for this is cosmic. Godfall is the best explanation and works with low-magic because divine intervention is the only regular magic (not counting potions) seen in low magic settings.
Knowing that an entire nation became undead because of the death of a god, the people may actually be sympathetic. Especially if you consider allied nations. The princess of the undead nation was the princess of an allied nation and was married off to build trust between them. Her father would be loathe to just kill her. Being a powerful military with previous alliances makes it legitimate.
>>
>>48348895
>Low magic just means that the setting takes place on earth.

That isn't what low magic means at all. If it did then Lord of The Rings and Mage: The Ascension are both low magic works.
>>
>>48348551
The default reaction is that they would be considered an abomination. Some kingor lord would attempt to claim their land, or attack them for glory, or for xyz resson, and no would fault them for because it's a kingdom of corpses.
>>
>>48348658
Enough to raise dead should be enough to destroy undead.
>>
>>48349453
>Mage
>Low Magic
I just spit out my beer you fuck.
>>
>>48349281
Hold a gun at ready and keep an eye on them.
>>
>>48349453
Calling Mage: The Ascension low magic is like calling a VW Beetle a sportscar.
>>
>>48351601
Then it shows that anon he replied to is wrong? Mage takes place on Earth after all.
>>
>>48351803
I see the point he's making, but one of the first things about Mage is accepting that Earth is like one plane of a bajillion, and you actively work with most of them to make things do the things.
While the action may take place on earth, everything behind the scenes is because of the dozens of planes and dimensions you work with.
Like the tower.
>>
>>48348895
>Low magic just means that the setting takes place on earth. Any other description on the meaning is just arbitrary preferences that don't mean anything and spawns useless arguments like.
That's the definition of Low Fantasy not Low Magic. Even though I don't like the definition since it has not much to do with the content. But still, low magic is just that a setting with a little bit of magic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.