[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isn't there a better /tg/ game finding site, set up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1464727733194.jpg (84KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
1464727733194.jpg
84KB, 640x627px
Why isn't there a better /tg/ game finding site, set up kind of like f-list?

Register a profile, make a character, fill that one out. Maybe you want to play NWoD, so you develop a vampire character. Fill in changes for a more generic urban fantasy game, maybe an HMHVV infectee in Shadowrun. RP preferences, contact information, boom. Update the character as desired. No dependency on forum threads or game finders, both of which bury posts in hours. Roll20 only does its LFG by game, not by characters seeking a game; reach out to another player, several others, whatever. Live general chatrooms for various games, private rooms for actual games (or just play on R20).

Honestly, the site in question is the best game finder experience I've had. Had a great game set up in under an hour, constantly people to play with. The only problem is the obvious NSFW/furry bent. So why don't we have a (more) SFW /tg/ alternative? Or is there one I'm not familiar with already?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>48347679
Well there's infrno.net, plus lots of characters on roll20.net and obsidianportal.com.

I think Invisible Castle was a big character gen/forum.
>>
The problem with something like that is that how exactly you build your character is going to vary from game to game, with different optional or house rules in effect, and different character concepts being more or less optimal based on how the game starts (If you're supposed to be on the side of one faction in the setting, being a member of a hostile or entirely unrelated faction doesn't make much sense).
The other problem being that RPGs are usually long term, with multiple, continuous sessions. Just wiping a character's slate clean and starting over the next time in a different game doesn't really work out, and keeping all of their progress also doesn't work out due to crunch and balance concerns.
>>
>>48347835
I'll have to take a look at infrno, good to know.
>>
>>48347679
Because, just like F-list I am entirely capable of roleplaying more than just one sort of character but such websites are such an insane fucking hassle to set up (especially with the sort of elitism that tends to follow) that I'd rather rely on friends and word of mouth to join games with well-established groups rather than just, you know, waste forty minutes throwing together a character with art and the requisite one page backstory and a fully comprehensive list of fetishes and kinks that are all customized to suit your tastes only to get little play because no GM seriously needs players and the idea that they do is a myth.

tl;dr Fuck the internet.
>>
>>48350434
Sorry to hear that's your experience, man. I got one game immediately and I'm setting up for two more already, in the span of two weeks. Including a fairly obscure system. Luck, I guess?
>>
>>48347679
Because there's more emphasis on making the character for the group rather than running around with your favourite.

ttrpg and flist are exact opposite on that - in tabletops, if you show up with hey guys this is my favourite character with loads of backstory from previous games, you get told to gtfo; on flist if you have a profile with just hey I'll play anything you want me to, you get told to gtfo.
>>
>>48350434
>the requisite one page backstory
doin it wrong.
One paragraph, no more. Details won't come up anyway.

>comprehensive list of fetishes and kinks
Also doin it wrong, selecting opinion on everything in the list will just create a muddled mess that nobody will bother to read.

>no GM seriously needs players and the idea that they do is a myth.
Just like everywhere in ttrpg, ain't it.
>>
>>48351403
>a fairly obscure system
What one?
>>
>>48351604
Degenesis. Most people here have probably seen the name, but very few have read the lore and even less have read the rules.
>>
>>48351877
The old version or the new one?
>>
>>48351403
>>48351877
Huh. What channels did you find them in?

Also yes, it's pretty luck based. I've seen several games start in random threads (not in the gamefinder, that is) on tg, flist would apply the same way.
>>
>>48352007
Rebirth.

>>48352056
One of the various /tg/ channels I've been in for a while. Good folks, surprisingly.
>>
Because very rarely do GMs have difficulties finding players in the internet if they're willing to play with random people. Why would I, as a GM, start sifting through character sheets of people who MIGHT be suitable for my game and who MIGHT have a schedule I can work with and who MIGHT be interested in the specific scenario for a campaign I have in mind, when using a site like roll20 I can post an ad for my game and get sheets from people who are both interested in the specific campaign I'm advertising for, and who have compatible schedule?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.