[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any articles, supplements or guides to design a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

File: Dark-Souls-2-bonfire.jpg (742KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-2-bonfire.jpg
742KB, 1920x1080px
Are there any articles, supplements or guides to design a good wilderness campaign?

I want to do something similar to the Souls' games, setting wise: Adventurers exploring an apocalyptic medieval landscape, completely overtaken by evil, with maybe a central hub or very few, sparse safe havens dotted around the map, a place where the brave and the lost come to seek riches, glory or redemption. Think something akin to a medieval S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Are there any settings out there that fit the bill?
>>
bump
>>
>>48347499
I don't really think that'd be especially difficult to do with just regular D&D; most of what you're describing is purely thematic, not mechanical. There's already rules for wilderness hazards, starvation, thirst, rules for not having towns or areas to heal in (you literally just don't include them), and post-apocalyptic ruins are something you just add by fluffing it up yourself.

Basically, what you want to do you're not going to find a guidebook to teach you how to do it. You're just going to need to learn to convey things and plan things so they result in the style of game you want by yourself I guess.
>>
File: symbaroum.jpg (380KB, 1185x756px) Image search: [Google]
symbaroum.jpg
380KB, 1185x756px
>>48347499
Symbaroum might be what you're looking for. It's set in a frozen forested wasteland called Davokar bordering the nation of Ambria, and within the forest are the crumbling vestiges of the civilization of Symbaroum. There are ruins, lost treasures, magical relics, and all sorts of glory to be had. Towns are few and far between, and the land is practically filled with (literally) corrupted monsters and evil spirits. The system is simple, combat is brutal, and characters can become temporarily and permanently corrupted and twisted towards evil. Think Dark Souls Hollowing, more or less, and spellcasting is the main way you get it.

I've never played Symbaroum myself, but I've been meaning to and I hear good things about it. Check it out, if nothing else the artwork will prove to be worth the purchasing price. Pic related is one example of many.
>>
File: image.jpg (252KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
252KB, 500x663px
I'm interested in this, but I don't have much to offer. Have something that feels it might fit to this.
>>
File: image.jpg (318KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
318KB, 500x700px
>>48349425
Not that the thread needs a bump, but I've been wondering about a setting much in the same line as OP's ideas. So anything that came up would be wonderful.
>>
>>48349041

I'm looking for some reference on well designed settings that revolved around this idea. I know it's a common trope and plenty of fantasy RPGs are suited for this, but unlike designing a "regular" fantasy setting, which has tons of material for people to get inspired by and learn from, this is a type of setting that I rarely actually read about, aside from "implied" fluff in rulebooks, like 4E's Points of Light.

>>48349088

I did check out Symbaroum a few days ago, It's definitely on my group's "must try" list. The system is pretty elegant, and the art is amazing.

>>48349425
>>48349688

This guy is pretty great, I think I'm following him on Tumblr.
>>
>>48349711
>I did check out Symbaroum a few days ago, It's definitely on my group's "must try" list. The system is pretty elegant, and the art is amazing.
Awesome. Just looking at it from a general technical sense, I can tell it's a good game. I'd play it but my group isn't really into Grim or Dark settings, and Symbaroum is both by default. If there's one thing it's lacking in, it's non-combat options. Consider making more Traits that characters can choose from, and let them pick up those Traits for (say) 5-10 XP each.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 500x688px
>>48349711
Holy shit you have source? Sauce please?
>>
>>48350376

Yup, it's blackyjunkgallery.tumblr.com

I'm pretty sure it's the same artist.
>>
live dammit live!
>>
File: iron-box_300.jpg (9KB, 300x357px)
iron-box_300.jpg
9KB, 300x357px
let me help you, im a certified janitor
Hands of the patient.

CLEAR
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.