[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else on /tg/ insist on using the classic-style cards over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 147.jpg (53KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
147.jpg
53KB, 312x445px
Anyone else on /tg/ insist on using the classic-style cards over the more modern (8th Edition+) sets? Granted, some cards found in 7th Edition and earlier haven't been reprinted in modern editions, and some of these cards are still very usable in modern play.

Maybe it has more to do with nostalgia than anything else. I was a teenager when the very first MtG sets ever came out, so the retro format feels a lot more natural to me than this newfangled shit with rounded boxes and dozens of nondescript keywords.
>>
>>48313879
For sure. Anything that had the old frame on it, I use the version with the old frame. The new shit may be "better designed", but it lost its soul somewhere along the line.
>>
Name one "nondescript keyword"

Also the modern border is objectively better looking, however, the m15 border is objectively a bad change from the original modern border

The only reason to prefer the old border is nostalgia and/or you're associating the great art and great card design you remember with the old border

A lot of the old art is great and I'm not a fan of the new, homogenized art

The card border is objectively better though
>>
>>48313879
I got some old cards from my dead dad so I try to use them whenever I have a deck they might fit into.
He never played the game, just collected some for the sweet card art. Same reason I originally got into MtG was just for the art. In middle and high school I actually started playing the game.
>>
>>48313879
Didn't play back then, but I find the old borders oddly charming. Also, I hate the newest borders, something about the bottom part of the card really bothers me.
>>
File: 296.jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
296.jpg
75KB, 312x445px
Yeah, if only all cards were just one long block of un-interrupted text.

Also, no, I hate white bordered cards. I like the old artifact border better, though..
>>
>>48314704
Planar Chaos frames were the best, though.
>>
File: 2016-07-16_23.27.43.jpg (1MB, 1945x1674px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-16_23.27.43.jpg
1MB, 1945x1674px
I feel ya man. Just finished my new colorless eldrazi/artifact deck, so many of my artifacts/lands confused the owner/employee.

First time I played a full game at a store, was neat.
>>
In my opinion on card formats:
Black Bordered Classic (Pre-Fallen Empires)
Modern (Mirrodin)
Revised
Fallen Empires
Ice Age - Tempest
Invasion era
M15 (disgusting)

The formatting and borders on old cards was seriously altered every year in the early days.
>>
>>48314704
>I don't know what objective means: the post
>>
>>48316400
Yeah, the old frames would get small revisions constantly. Especially the lands, which would change color every set.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.