[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you run a Tom Clancy's The Division(c) ttrpg?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 8

File: The-Division-640x360.jpg (54KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
The-Division-640x360.jpg
54KB, 640x360px
How would you run a Tom Clancy's The Division(c) ttrpg? Yes, the vg game is absolute trash. But I know quite a few people who liked the concept and would enjoy having the freedom ttrpgs give in the setting. Discuss.

Also, mention some other settings you'd like to give a crack at running. Maybe some helpful anon can give an idea of how they'd go about it.
>>
File: 1468195442681.jpg (50KB, 682x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468195442681.jpg
50KB, 682x400px
>>48250880
I liked some of the concepts presented in infamous. I.E. city locked down and subject to plague, people developing super powers. Government trying to keep the city quarantined if not due to the disease than due to the outbreak of super humans.

Wasn't very fond of the way the series ended (either with the protagonist killing all the other super types in the world and sacrificing himself or leading an uprising of super powered types to genocide normal humans)

could be neat to present people trying to survive under martial law and developing super powers.

What's the Division about anyway? Something involving new york under lock down due to a bioweapon?
>>
>>48250956
Yeah, and some secret government organization given the power to murder the disenfranchised people left behind in the wake of a large scale bio-terror attack after Black Friday. Manhattan is locked down, the middle of the city is pretty much a lawless hell hole full of contaminated corpses, gangs, and all the best loot with your fellow government agents looking to kill you for your shinys.

Lastest DLC added instanced dungeons and the next one focuses on the winter in NYC taking a turn for the worst, with supply drops stopping, food and water becoming even more scarce for the government joint task force, the pyromaniacs, the gangs freed from Riker's Island, and the paramilitary nutters sent in to protect Wall Street assets.
>>
>>48250880
GURPS could do The Division pretty well.

You could do sort of a parody setting with it if you wanted, with PC's having 500 HP or so and enemies having 30,000 HP and attacks that deal 120 HP damage.

In plague filled New York, the greatest enemy is falling asleep before the boss runs out of HP.
>>
File: 1468113330675.png (363KB, 1000x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1468113330675.png
363KB, 1000x1029px
>>48251087
>>48251081
that's the big issue here really I suppose. The Division is interesting on some level because it presents like what, 5 or so years of chaos in one of the largest cities of america? 10 maybe if the government really drags it's feet.

I mean I'm under no illusions that the american government is perfect but in terms of fiction all the 'you can't trust government' shit sort of blurs together and becomes boring.

I'd be more interested to see someone play it a bit more optimistically and try to clean shit up and make a difference.
>>
>>48250956
That could be a very neat idea to explore. I like it.

Yes, The Division is about being a government agent during the after math of a bio weapon attack in New York.

There's some controversial bits that I'd like to cut out it I were to run it. I'd rewrite the whole thing about the government having a whole army of sleeper cell soldiers they can deploy at their command to kill criminals on sight. But there's several aspects of the setting I'd like to home in on and present to players.
>>48251081
I haven't looked into any of the DLCs, but from those topics you mentioned you could easily piece together several small arcs for a party.
>>48251087
Aye, that could be funny for a half hour or so. But forging together an actual game would give us the chance to break free from that awful gameplay and focus on the more enjoyable parts of the fantasy.

>>48251160
That's exactly how I'd want to present it! Cut out all that conspiracy stuff and have the players really try to be the good guys and make the best of what they can in that kind of catastrophe.
>>
>>48251087
They've done some things right in increasing difficulty and some things pretty wrong. Level 35 enemies having like... 1.5x health and armor of guys a level lower is just frustrating to slog through. The addition of remote-controlled cars to the cleaner faction adds something to be on the look out for and can be turned to your favor if you're quick enough to catch it, but you can otherwise jump out of the way. This is nice since it rewards skill and can help burn through some of that bullet sponginess.

GURPS with a focus on operators operating operationally and some cinematic moments would be pretty good. Either that or using the quarantine and virus stuff as a backdrop for a InFamous style thing.
>>
>>48250880
Ops & Tactics.

You can even give enemies way too much fucking health to burn through.
>>
File: 1468292820192.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468292820192.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>48251176
seriously the 'government is up to shady shit' crap is old and boring by thos point. It can be interesting to be a part of that shady shit but I wouldn't say The Division's setting is a good place for it. Whoop De Do Manhattan gets hit by a bioweapon and society has broken down, there's only how many more cities in that state? How many cities in the union? Once you get past the blunt excuse to murder some criminals its really boring, go here, shoot guys, collect loot, and no the intrigue of being a rogue sleeper soldier doesn't really present much since you're a manchurian candidate who does whatever you're told once your flip is switched.

Way more interesting to deal with shit like protecting refugees, securing logistical material to feed and treat people, tracking down terrorists before they can set off another germ bomb etc...
>>
File: 1468109894197.png (1MB, 948x1469px) Image search: [Google]
1468109894197.png
1MB, 948x1469px
>>48251176
4-6 city districts, industrial, commercial, shipping district with harbor and stuff, residential, maybe some slums.

National Guard and Coast Gaurd are called in to enforce quarantine but aren't present in the city. Police are either dead or have quit. Gangs rule the city, government is dropping care packages in but doesn't do much to help order. People are mutating and developing super powers.

Who's behind the super powers? Is the disease natural or man made? Will you fight the gangs or become one?
>>
File: the-division-artwork-12.jpg (2MB, 1920x803px) Image search: [Google]
the-division-artwork-12.jpg
2MB, 1920x803px
>>48251308
Yes! Precisely! There's so many neat things you could do that the game just doesn't. I want to be able to explore those kinds of situations in a ttrpg adaption. I'm banging my head against the wall trying to pick which system. Many have said GURPs, so I'll have to give that a look

>>48251367
The idea of the quarantine being enforced by national/coast guard and then having the agents (p[layers) go in to handle things is a good one.
There's a lot of different twists and options you could give players. It's be very engaging to explore.
>>
File: 1468261357691s.jpg (1KB, 125x75px) Image search: [Google]
1468261357691s.jpg
1KB, 125x75px
>>48251431
well if you go by the original Infamous players would more likely be inhabitants in the city who develop super powers. They could probably be agents trying to figure out what's going on though, either way would work.
>>
File: 1466928288667.jpg (47KB, 736x449px) Image search: [Google]
1466928288667.jpg
47KB, 736x449px
>>48251431
depending on how you want to play it there's a variety of systems. Savage Worlds for instance is nice and pulpy whereas GURPs is a bit more simulationist. Now I'll say get GURPS anyways since Steve Jackson Games puts a lot of effort into researching it's shit but it might not be conducive to a shoot and toot playstyle.

Apocalypse World might be worth a glance depending on how much you want to push the weird shit and while cringey in terms of what's written in the books it's got some interesting gameplay ideas.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.