[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So since the advent of the Internet and it becoming a part of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: technology.jpg (58KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
technology.jpg
58KB, 500x500px
So since the advent of the Internet and it becoming a part of the everyday person's life, I've noticed that "mass games," or games where there are more than a handful of people, are common adaptations of tabletop RPG's.

A lot of them have things like world building techniques where there are wikis, and you can post your character, and so on.

However, there are no games I've seen that were *designed* for this purpose. That is, there are no games where this is just a fact of the game in its original text, as opposed to some kind of adaptation.

So to this end, can we have a thread for such games? Examples of what I'm going for might be roleplaying games designed as:

* MU*'s,
* Wiki world building exercises,
* "Augmented reality" stuff,
* etc
>>
You mean games where a wiki is required?

That sounds unnecessary.
>>
>>48203518
I mean games designed specifically for an Internet medium, like a wiki or a forum. Tabletop RPG's were designed for sitting around someone's kitchen table and rolling dice. All online variations of them are just that. Are there games that are intended to be played online?
>>
You mean, PbP?
>>
>>48204263
PbP would be an example, but no. If someone made a world-building game that centered itself around wiki edits, I'd be interested in that. Not exactly PbP.

If someone made a tabletop RPG that really only made sense in a PbP, though, I'd be interested in that, too.

I'm just seeing if there are any games that were designed specifically for some Internet medium.
>>
>>48204249
>>48204278
>If someone made a world-building game that centered itself around wiki edits, I'd be interested in that

There's Lexicon. You play scholars working together to write an encyclopedia (a fantasy or sci fi wikipedia.) Usually played on free to host wikis, can be structured with rounds (like this week everyone writes an article starting with the letter A) or free form world building. Usually there are rules about avoiding contradictions. Sometimes the point of the world building is to then play D&D or something in the setting the players have built.
>>
>>48201594
>That is, there are no games where this is just a fact of the game in its original text, as opposed to some kind of adaptation.

I was going to suggest you look at MMOs. Then I remembered that they don't do any better. Their lore typically includes a storyline where one party saves the world, often by defeating a bunch of enemies that won't be replaced once this party is finished with them. No explanation of what all the other PCs are up to while one party is saving the world.
>>
>>48201594
The problem that I foresee with this concept is the inability for a single GM to manage all of these players, or for multiple GMs (with potentially conflicting visions of the game) to coordinate a single consistent world, especially over a long period of time. It gets even harder when you consider that most of the players and GMs would probably be part-time hobbyists, so the impetus to stick around and keep the game moving wouldn't be as strong.

The Megagame Society runs real-world roleplaying games blown up to involve 60+ people, and they get around these problems by A. having all the players and GMs in the same physical location, and B. by restricting the game to a single day-long event. The physical location means everyone in the game is committed to being there, and it's easy to verify decisions and resolve disputes, while the time limit ensures that the game has a definite end-point, so players aren't likely to get bored and leave because nothing interesting is happening.
>>
>>48204795

Came here to recommend Lexicon and Microscope. Carry on.
>>
>>48204876
and MMOs rarely have a gameplay that goes beyond
>jab F1 to cast green spell
>Level up
>jab F2 to cast purple spell
>>
>>48204795
>Lexicon
Where can I find this game!? This sounds right up my alley

>>48207586
>Microscope

And this one?
>>
>>48203518

That sounds like Space Station 13.
>>
>>48208057

Free Lexicon:

http://www.twistedconfessions.com/confessional/index.php?n=Lexicon.HomePage

Paid Microscope:

http://www.lamemage.com/microscope/

Microscope, Kingdom, and Microscope Explorer PDFs exist, but I am not the person to guide you to them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.