[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is an enemy oriented around Debuffs ever a fun fight? How could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg (212KB, 1600x992px) Image search: [Google]
NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg
212KB, 1600x992px
Is an enemy oriented around Debuffs ever a fun fight? How could it be made to be fun?
>>
>>48022769
rationed use of dispels
>>
Everything happens in slowmotion, almost like Matrix.
The players will fail everything they try, including walking upright and making logical decisions.
Since the enemy they're fighting is actually a gaggling old wizard, with no other schools than debuffs, they're now on even grounds...
>>
>>48023041
And so begun the geriatric war...
>>
>>48022769
>How could it be made to be fun?
You have to think - why is the enemy debuffing you?
Is it because they're weak as shit in person?

Find ways to attack them that don't rely on your players' martial or magical prowess - like dropping a rock on the guy.
It's a test to find creative ways of defeating them, even if that's just something as mundane as fire
>>
The curse has exceptions. The players have to steal warding charms from the enemies to shield themselves from the curse.

Players see spell effects take place slowly over the course of a turn or two so they have time to react and identify what might be about to happen to them.

The debuffs are contagious and the players can spread them by moving within 5 feet of each other or even the enemies.
>>
>>48022769
>Is an enemy oriented around Debuffs ever a fun fight?

Not in my experience.
Just like anti- things aren't a fun fight.
>Wizard, meet the anti-wizard! He's good at shutting down magic and not much else, now no one gets to have fun!
>>
>>48022769
I dunno.
Why don't you go on over to /v/ and ask them?
>>
>>48023168
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsve9wB_sEA
>>
>>48023504
What if the game isn't dnd? I have been experimenting with debuffers lately in the sense they tend to do stuff like, say, jury rig spray paint bombs that people set off so they can get the drop on a blinded enemy. Or cover an area with foam that jams up certain weapons and is too slippery for most to easily traverse and then close in with a fire axe. That said, it is mostly homebrew and my players get their own tricks to try, those two just always come to mind immediately for this topic.
>>
>>48022769

Enemies don't need to be "fun". It's totally fine for an enemy to make your players want to kill themselves.
>>
>>48023543
A good point, the concept isn't exclusive alone to DnD style Fantasy.

How about Sci-Fi/Modern debuff foes? Stuff like drugs and gas being pumped into rooms and only the Debuffer has a gas mask, or...nanobots or something. I dunno.
>>
>>48023543
>What if the game isn't dnd?

Same applies.
>You can see shit!
>You lost your weapon!

All just takes choices out of the hands of the player.

>I'll shoot at him.
>>But wait he had a magnet placed on the far side of the room and the gun flies out of your hand!
>I'll spend my round retrieving my gun instead I suppose.
>>
>>48023772
I understand what you're saying, but by that logic;
"I hit him"
"It does X damage, he doesn't die"
is just as annoying.
>>
it's not /tg/, but the closest thing I can think of to an "enemy based around debuffs" is Tyrant Velhari from WoW and she's a pretty fun fight
>>
>>48023772
Well, the thing is my guys tend to be after people who are expecting trouble to come after them and are either in a place they just took a lot of hostages and could set up with traps, or their own lair where they have. So to them, it becomes a matter of weakening or taking out their likely hunters, either with disposable mooks or their own wits. That said, it tends to be dice vs dice in the moment, with plenty of opportunity for my players to turn my own traps against me. Had one throw a paint mine at the crazy mass murdering "artist" they were after when he noticed the bomb and the guy trying to blend in with construction equipment, which is easier than you think when you know that technically he was construction equipment of a sort. That, and effects tend to be rather brief for the debuffs-couple rounds at most, so enough to try and capitalize on a brief situation the other is in trouble, but not enough to make everything horrible forever
>>
>>48023810
WoW have some good boss encounter ideas, but they're rarely easy to transpose into tabletop RPG.
Placement and timing tricks don't work as well or at all, and you can't really do "Die and retry" to learn an encounter.
>>
>>48024014
true. Most of her mechanics probably wouldn't translate well into tabletop, but Aura of Oppression (players take damage every time they move) and Aura of Malice (players deal and take increased damage) would be interesting if they were scaled right
>>
>>48024094
I will soon use a character that can increase critical chances, both success and failure, for everyone in range, allies and foes.
That's probably a terrible idea but we'll see.
Could work for a "mob boss" type of opponent.
>>
>>48024199
>I will soon use a character that can increase critical chances, both success and failure, for everyone in range, allies and foes.
sounds hilarious, I approve
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.