[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what would you do in the following situation >trpg "club"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: too many of them.png (28KB, 186x208px) Image search: [Google]
too many of them.png
28KB, 186x208px
what would you do in the following situation

>trpg "club" at university, there is no membership, anyone can come whenever they want
>been with the group for a relatively short time, only half a year
>About to start a campaign in which I am the GM
and here is a hypothetical scenario
If you were in my situation, what would you do if a person you hate for personal reasons wanted to join the game (of course, he wouldn't know you are the GM)?
>>
>>47929578
Talk to him like a big boy and tell him that your preexisting feelings make the two of you a poor match for the game.
>>
>>47929620
what if it wasn't mutual?
what if you hated him but he thinks you are cool with him? (and you hoped to never cross paths with the guy again)
>>
>>47929650
>what if you hated him but he thinks you are cool with him?
>(and you hoped to never cross paths with the guy again)

see >>47929620
>Talk to him like a big boy
>like a big boy read: be mature about this
>and tell him that your preexisting feelings make the two of you a poor match for the game.
>>
>>47929650
>what if you hated him but he thinks you are cool with him?
This happened to me, I manned the fuck up and taught myself to like the guy. We became best friends.
>>
>>47930077
even with that, wouldn't I look like a dick in front of the other guys who have no quarrels with him?

>>47930606
eh
tough thing, I'm an amiable guy, but with the very few people I make enemies with I can't be forgiving
>>
If you can't set aside your differences when playing, you're a bad DM.
>>
>>47930735
Correction: If you can't set aside your differences, can't get the chip off your shoulder, and/or can't tell them that you wouldn't be able to be unbiased as a GM with that present player, then you're a bad DM and a bad person.
>>
>>47930770
>can't get the chip off your shoulder
and how do you do that?
>>
>>47930770
>not being unbiased at all on the table
>>
>>47930713
>wouldn't I look like a dick in front of the other guys who have no quarrels with him?
... why would you have the talk in front of other people? That's personal one-on-one stuff.
>>
>>47931174
eh, you have a point

also, those guys have been with me for quite some time already so they would understand anyway
>>
>>47931195
Regardless, it depends.
A game should involve a degree of impersonality.
Unless you feel the guy would disrespect you or disrupt the game, I'd talk out the differences and attempt to see of a good time can be had.
If you can;t rein in your emotions, the problem is you, at the end.
>>
>>47931372
what the fuck is a weeaboo to you
nevermind don't bother, I'm going to ignore you from now on because you aren't making the least of sense

>>47931370
It depends on every person of course, but even if the problem was the GM it should be solved nonetheless, and I don't think attempting to change people would be suitable
>>
>>47931439
>I'm going to ignore you from now on because you aren't making the least of sense

He's 'pretending' to be retarded for b8 purposes, so that's probably your best bet.

In answer to your OP, I'd say that depends on what your reasons for disliking him are. If it's ego stuff then you can get over it. If they're genuinely an asshole who has done something shitty to you or yours, then that'll be tougher. On the bright side, he doesn't know you dislike him so he won't be sabotaging the game. You can probably just put your feelings aside for the sake of the game and treat them as any other player - concentrate on the character they play and ignore the player behind it.
>>
>>47931439
>it should be solved nonetheless
Point made, and agreed.
I have made my group worrk for the last 8 years by being a ruthless bastard that will force confrontations and reconciliation between people when it's needed.
It has backfired ocassionally (group went from 8 members to 3 in the space of a week), but on the whole, it's best to get shit out.
>>
>>47931442
its like people come here just to argue about anything and is surprised to find out that some people get fed up with that

>>47931509
I see, Its better to have a small but good group to have fun with than a big group in which everyone is bitter and ruining the mood
>>
>>47929578

Tell him it's full but you'll put him down for the next game you run.
>>
>>47932017

I know for a fact that this is bait, and I still got mad. Good job.
>>
Is being terrible at basic human interaction a requirement for playing ttrpgs? Been playing for 10+ years now and I still feel like I've missed an important memo or something.
>>
Situation as written it's highly unlikely this "hypothetical" could ever really occur so "what do?" is similarly unsolvable.

This requires for purposes of discussion that you hate this guy so bad you can't treat him like another stranger at the table for 3 hours, but:

no one else at the table dislikes him, either;
he doesn't know that, in fact he's willing to game with you; and
he's even okay with you being DM; but
you're grievance is justified and not a personal problem.

That doesn't really happen. People rarely suck under such specific circumstances that only you notice it.

So chances are he's going to suck at the table and you'll have your reason, he's gonna see that you're about to be his gameboss and rabbit, or you're gonna have to face that it's just you.

And if it's just you? That's okay. You can hate someone for stupid reasons and it not be a problem. Just play anyway.

Christ, there's this guy at one of my games that puts on this stupid Errol Flynn British/French accent, always plays melee characters, and seems to have some religious obligation to never help set up a flanking situation and after about 10 minutes of it I start fantasizing about shoving him headfirst into a drillpress set to "slow."

But he doesn't know about it because it's my problem and I'm coping.

Now, if he was visibly harassing one of the other players at the table that would be on the stop game to talk about it >> OOC warning >> yellow card >> red card spectrum.
>>
>>47932217
I dunno man

I get off on talking to people I don't like. It's fun.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.