[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ I need a new system. I primarily play Dungeon World because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

/tg/ I need a new system. I primarily play Dungeon World because the rules are light and I generally like to make shit up as I go.
However as most of you will probably agree Dungeon World is kind of shit and I want something else to run.
Im looking for a game that's light or medium-light that supports making shit up as I go.
Pic unrelated it is how my last game ended.
>>
>>47900110
Fate Core System.
>>
>>47900110
Gurps
>>
>>47900110
The Cypher System
>>
Playing my first Savage Worlds campaign with friends. It's like DnD lite. Same shit except no saving throws, no HP (uses wounds), no D20's (d4-d12), and you roll extra die on maximums.
>>
>>47900418
I have been curious about savage worlds.
Are monsters/npcs simple to make up on the fly?
>>
>>47900110
FATE Freeport is a D&D experienced using the FATE core rules. You assign ability scores instead of skills, and you can learn feats as stunts that include magic and such. It's built to be run in Freeport, but is easy to adapt to any fantasy setting for that D&D feel. With easy to understand rules.

I say this because "rules medium" is a huge swath of games. At one extreme most people call 5e medium and on the other you have games like FATE. If you want to branch out with a little more rules try the attached system. It's incredibly easy to home brew and has the option of using the full system and adding more rules to this rules medium starting point. It also has an NPC generator: http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96KB, 869x425px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96KB, 869x425px
>>47900110
Barbarians of Lemuria for good, rules-light Conan-style swords and sorcery.
>>
File: BoL - Quick Fixes (w comments).png (89KB, 1270x1038px) Image search: [Google]
BoL - Quick Fixes (w comments).png
89KB, 1270x1038px
>>47902014
>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, fewer details & more minimalist presentation makes it even easier to learn, but the rules aren't as refined) -- http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want the bare bones minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up a bit) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A

Really, the two places I can think of where the Mythic edition makes marked improvements are armor (Legendary armor gets out of hand at the upper end, making you too hard to hurt) and ditching the brawl ability (which is something of a dump stat). Both of those are addressed by this homebrew fixes cheat sheet, allowing you to choose your system based on your desired level of detail (Mythic has essentially the same system but is twice as long due largely to a more detailed world) rather than which one has better rules.
>>
I swear to God I am not trolling you. Okay? This is in fact a serious suggestion based on key phrases "medium-light" and "making shit up."

Take a look at 5e basic. 114pg PG, 63pg DMG, both for free.

It is definitely a lot less rulebook dependent, a lot more streamlined ,and a lot more flexible in play than 3.PF and 4e were.

If you find it a bit too medium instead of medium-light or you just don't care for the system, that's cool you aren't out anything. But there's a good chance it might surprise you.

(http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules)
>>
>>47905843
this, 5e is the most "i need a system for next week and don't have any notes" system and it's great
>>
File: DRsample.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
DRsample.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47900110
DR is the one system I've encountered where making up monsters/skills on the fly is incredibly easy.
>>
>>47905863
>>47905843
5e is shit for making monsters/encounters on the go though.

>>47900110
Strike! could be an interesting departure; the core system is lighter than DW, but the optional modules bring the crunch back in.

Monster creation is a breeze, you can either handle it DW style, or for tactical combat you can reskin/level the premades.

>>47900550
Pretty easy, as long as you can keep the edges in mind. One of the selling points of the system imo.
>>
>>47905939
>5e is shit for making monsters/encounters on the go though.

It sure as hell ain't great. They stocked the basic DMG up with a pretty decent chunk of them them to get you started, though.

If you need a bit more custom there's an ass-saver of a chart in the non-free DMG on page 274, "monster statistics by challenge rating" that will get you in the neighborhood, either just using each line by itself, the 4 step "creating quick monster stats" process, or the 20 step "creating a monster stat block" process.

There's also a boatload of monsters in the 5e SRD, which while not as extensive as the OGL is still reasonably good for a 3rd free resource.

(http://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering/monsters-foes)
>>
>>47900110
Lamentations of the Flame Princess is a good one. Its easy to learn, tight, well designed and the rules are free.

You can dismiss the modules as edgy and rail on Raggi all you like, but the system itself is an excellent bit of OSR.
>>
>>47906520
The Black Hack is better
Actually pretty much every other OSR hack I've come across is better
>>
>>47905939
>5e is shit for making monsters/encounters on the go though.

Really? For the most part, you really only need to ask a few questions, and ultimately you don't need much more than AC, HP, attacks, and the six stats. The math is pretty easy and rather forgiving, so I've never had any real issues with making up stats on the fly.
>>
>>47906542
The Armour Point system and the class selection rubbed me the wrong way, but Black Hack was pretty good, yeah.

I think I should revise ' try LotFP' to 'try anything OSR and decide on a favorite'. They are so moddable and modular it dosen't matter a huge amount which bits you take and which you don't.
>>
>>47906696
>>47906379
You can do "okay" encounters very very easily in 5e. The stats don't matter diddly 90% of the time. I just decide what's the monster's "strong " stat, just so if he needs to make a save/athletics/acrobatics, then basically randomly decide HP/AC/and damage depending on how my players roll.

Then again, my group doesn't seem to want any more. They seem to be perfectly happy massacring monsters that are only bags of HP with the occasional flavor sneak attack.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.