[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 29

File: 1453239916308.jpg (133KB, 601x850px) Image search: [Google]
1453239916308.jpg
133KB, 601x850px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Whats the most badass magical thing you've ever pulled off? We talk about make martials great again, but lets show some love to our 13 DC to start, concentration requirement having, noodle armed brothers in the field.

BONUS: Most badass magical feat you've done, AND you're a gish, not a full caster.

Ye olde threade: >>47689294
>>
>>47698766
how you deal with players saying i want to cut his throat when they are behind an enemy
>>
>>47698890
I let them roll for attack. If they crit and I feel nice they might even get the 1hk
>>
>>47698890
if its like an important npc
>you attempt to cut his throat, roll to hit (likely at advantage)
>*rolls 2d20*, 2 and 16, so 21.
>you hit, roll damage
>*rolls 3d6*, i got a 12 + my 4 dex, 16.
>either that kills him OR
>you attempt to cut his throat, and almost get him, but he manages to stop your blade from harming him and escape your grasp. roll initiative.

OR if its some unimportant mook you can just let him have it if you want.

basically HP isn't meat points, so if he doesn't finish off their HP, it means they some how avoided getting their throat slit. but he might of taken a lot of fight out of them
>>
Party is going to meet a ranger who's in mid-combat trying to defend a forest against some creatures. What could those creatures be?
>>
>>47698996
literally anything, but why don't you make them related to your major villain somehow?
>>
>>47698996
a wild family of tarrasque, that sounds like around the right CR
>>
>>47698959
i like this approach, it wouldn't do a change mechanically but its cool, also there are other options for hit locations ie:
Atacking an opponent hand is disarming
Atacking an opponent legs could be an strength vs strength check or strength vs dex check depending of the attack description
Atackin an opponent head with a bludgeoning weapon can cause stun
>>
>>47698996
We'd need more information (part levels, size, composition, etc) but this is easier: http://tools.goblinist.com/5enc
>>
>>47698996
Orcs with fire swords
>>
>>47698996
Fire Elementals with Orc Swords
>>
>>47698996
Sword elementals with fire orcs
>>
>>47698996
Fire orcs with elemental swords
>>
>>47698996
Fire Swords with Orc Elementals
>>
S Word elementals with forks
>>
>>47698766
Not exactly the greatest thing ever but I saved several party members from a lightning bolt cast by a demon lord once with a counterspell. I think I rolled a 21 on the check so idk what level it was cast at but it was stopped regardless.

Now, the greatest bout of luck I ever had with a wild magic surge was the greatest thing to happen to any of my characters. So, my group was in the underdark in one of the demon lord's lairs and I'd been pushing my luck with the pasrez*(?) that causes the wild magic effects down there when spells are cast by casting guidance every time someone needed help with anything. Eventually, on the way to the boss room, I got hit with a wild magic effect and got the surge. The following was the greatest series of roll ever. I ended up getting a third eye, gained the mirror image effect, hada cloud of feathers and a cloud of fog surrounding me, and began to radiate light. Then, the second I walked into the boss room, a super powerful magic missile exploded from my hand and flat out killed one of the 3 creatures in the boss room which was apparently a cleric. No other noteworthy effects happened until the last surge happened. I got blue skin at the end, as a permanent reminder as to what happened. It was a wild ride and I got lucky as hell.
>>
>>47698996
Colossal orcs wielding giant fire elementals wielding huge orcs wielding large fire elementals wielding medium orcs wielding small fire elementals wielding tiny orcs
>>
>>47698996
Elemental swords starting orc fires
>>
>Female Human Fighter character
>Player tells you, the GM, that she was originally a guy, but got a Cursed Girdle of Strength and a gender-swap
>She uses whatever magical item or potion she can get to try for the same curse
>She is a pretty big tomboy because of it too

Would you allow it? I really want to do it so that the 'playing the opposite gender' roleplay quirks make sense, and for the lulz
>>
>>47700342
I wouldn't allow it if the magic items are still on that character sheet rather than just a backstory curse that happens to be permanent.
>>
>>47700342
i have a pair of players whose characters were gender swapped when they died.

The girl player is playing a dude who turned into a chick when he died.

The dude is playing a chick who became a dude when she died.

i think they did this to get around the fact that i dont allow cross playing in my games.

did i "win" or did they? i honestly cant tell
>>
>>47700342
I'd personally allow it, but it's my fetish anyway, so I'm probably biased

>>47700385
Could always say they threw the gender-swap belt into a river or something out of anger, just so you don't have to worry about the player having one.
>>
>>47700385
I could fluff it that something else swapped him, or that he just sold the belt because he couldn't stand having the thing that cursed him
>>
>>47700455
Honestly the trinket could just be the now spent cursed item or something like that.
>>
>>47700455
>>47700463
Maybe an empty vial that had some gender-swapping potion in it, that he was tricked into drinking thinking it was something else?
>>
>>47700398
Is there a reason you don't allow cross play in your games? You state it sort of nonchalantly but it strikes me as weird; there has never been a problem specifically related to cross playing in any game I've been in.
>>
>>47700548
That's actually better and plays into my theme of betrayal.
I wrote down that a wizard misread detect magic, but I could have that wizard just give him a false potion, maybe give the DM ideas for a revenge arc? Good stuff
>>
>>47700583
its just something that makes me uncomfortable and i tend to default genders to the person playing IE: i refer to male players characters as he, him out of habit.

im not going to rage a sperg fit about it if someone just HAS to play the opposite gender, but it does make me uncomfortable
>>
>>47700342
Yeah sure. I'll make a mental note of it to expect you to come out as trans at some point though.
>>
>>47699844
Similarly, I had a 3rd level Wild Sorcerer/Arcana Cleric who fervently believed their erratic magics were imbued with divine purpose, and it was their duty to understand their meaning. When casting Mending to fix a broken "preserve the land" relic inside an abandoned temple, a trap was triggered and the chamber began to fill with sand. Everyone else fled, but I remained to finish casting. By the time I was done, the door was blocked and I was trapped. Began burning spells slots and Tides of Chaos to trigger Wild Magic. First got healing, then minute o' magic. Got hair loss, then alcohol immunity, but as the chamber completely filled, got transported to the Astral Realm for a turn. Came back outside the chamber, and ran out of the temple with bonus action teleports speeding up their escape. Having risked their life, they were saved, and rewarded with a moment in the home of their god, his belief became even more fanatical.
>>
>>47700623
Fair enough. It isn't something that happens all the time in my group, but I think all of us have done it at least once. Guess I just never crossed my mind as an odd thing, as long as the character makes sense.
>>
>>47700415
If you throw a gender swap belt into a river, it develops kinks.
>>
Has anyone used Animate Dead in an actual game? How much support does it provide? Were there 'consequences'? Has anyone lost control of their summons?
>>
Pact of the Tome lock, what two first level ritual spells from book of ancient secrets are there that arnt pretty much useless
the only things im seeing are alarm, identify, and find familiar. everything else seems situational as fuck like seeing if a potion is poisonous or reading shit you dont know how to read and several of which show up as other invocation options anyway
>>
>>47700148
I think it sounds pretty good
>>
>>47701386
Find familiar and identify are pretty much the go-tos
>>
>>47700398
I'm having trouble seeing how that even happened if you didn't want it to.
>>
Oath of the Sorcerer-Lord MkII.

r8 and h8 m8s
>>
>>47700342
Remove Curse is a 3rd level spell
>>
>>47702001
Bend magic is stronger than regular metamagic

The resistance thing is a bit complicated

Other than that it's ok i think
>>
>>47702001
What's the intention for Raw Magic? Keep in mind the teable was designed for players, and has more good effects than bad.

Servant of the Sorcerer-Lord might be too powerful, given Paladins already get +CHA to all saves.

I like the concept though. Is it for Dark Sun?
>>
>>47702001
What is a sorcerer lord?
>>
Does anyone have any guides or tips for building a rich city environment? Players are planning on inciting change in a city and I need ideas.
>>
>>47702237
You can only use a Channel Divinity option once per rest
>>47702240
Yeah I'm not sold on Raw Magic. Any ideas? Its also specifically a Wild Mage thing and the sorcerer-lord you serve might be draconic or favored soul.

I just read it in the DMG under changing class features, but it could be used for Dark Sun
>>47702251
Uber powerful sorcerer who a paladin swears an oath to
>>
>>47702357
How about restoring spell slots equal to 1/3rd of your paladin level?
>>
>>47702433
I've already given spell slot restoration to the Oath of Arcane, as similar to Wizards
>>
>>47702357
You could inflict Raw Magic without it costing channel divinity and it would be a ribbon feature.

You could give Dragon Sorc Pal's proficiency in speaking Draconic.
>>
There's a girl in my group who recently started dating my friend and it's annoying as hell. She plays a druid who does like archery and shit, she doesn't use a lot of her spells since, like all girls, she's not a very competent player. I'm trying to think of a good way to get her character killed off, but subtly. I'd like to do it in a way that isn't traced back to me. I've been considering loaded dice for the GM but that might get me killed as well. She sometimes asks me for help leveling up her character (she's 6th level right now) so are there any bad options I can offer to gimp her? Or spells with unintended effects that she might kill herself with? I really just want her out of the group at this point but I'll settle for killing her character if I can.
>>
>>47702357
Since raw magic is a way to disrupt casters (I'm assuming) you could change it to reflecting a spell back at the caster, or perhaps absorbing a spell and gaining a corresponding spell slot until you next short or long rest. Both are fairly flavor neutral.

Posting my own paladin oath for review, questionable flavor and all
>>
>>47703603
How bad is it?
>>
>>47703603
Oh man, you AGAIN? Look, just because she turned you down...
Does anyone else have the pic, so anons know better then to deal with this guy? The one with all his various posts?
This has got to be the fourth or fifth time that I've seen.
>>
>>47703654

How bad is what?
>>
>>47703603
I can't believe you're still at this.
>>
File: dwarfandwaifu.png (573KB, 379x693px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfandwaifu.png
573KB, 379x693px
What's their story?
>>
>>47703683
to be this butthurt ?
>>
>>47703731
Dwarf is actually a creepy wizard who keeps him waifu under constant mind control, that pic is him reapplying the mindcontrol spell as she tries to finally regain her freedom after so, so long . . .
>>
>>47703731
>>47703777
Trips confirm. I was going to say he's a dwarf priest trying to cure her blindness, but she looks way to distraught for that, and he looks way too somber.
>>
>>47703666
bro following her home and sleeping in her bushes outside is totally not stalking. he just totes wants whats best for his group mang
>>
>>47703777
A creepy wizard in what must be full plate? That looks too bulky for his medium proficiency.
>>
>>47703731
I swear, I've seen this music video.
>>
>>47703714

Still at what?

>>47703736

You still havent explained what you are talking about.
>>
>>47703603
Holy shit, I remember you!
Dude, you've got issues.
>>
>>47703839
For a second I'd wondered if you might be a different Anon just memeing, but now you've confirmed it's actually you or you're another Anon who is breddy gud at copying him. 10/10 in that case, congrats
>>
>>47703821
He took his first two levels in Fighter for Action Surge
>>
>>47703731
She's about to die a terrible and agonizing death. Dwarfbro prepares to euthanize her with a quick neck snap and spare her all that suffering, but he takes no joy in this solemn duty.
>>
>>47703855
This is more evil than mindcontrolling a waifu forever.
>>
>>47703603
>>
So how do I actually get a DM to go along with my Gender-Swapped Fighter character?
>>
>>47703956
Say it was due a cursed belt of gender bending :^)
>>
>>47703956
Make it gender swapped from a woman to a man.
>>
So is it completely awful to play a (probably half-orc) dex barbarian who goes rogue 3 (assassin)/Barb 5 to play a frothing rage machine that springs from the shadows? Pick up TWF and dual wield rapiers to spring from the shadows and obliterate things with assassinate.
>>
>>47703956
Present the DM with a female fighter who was originally a dude who got cursed (or vice versa). Worst case, he never brings it up again and your stuck playing a chick (or dude).
>>
>>47703956
Make a character whose personality and life goals don't revolve around the gender-bender experience. Basically, write the fighter properly like any other character you'd make, then include this gender-swap event as well as how your character feels about it and how it impacts their goals. If your character feels like their gender identity is the most important, or god forbid only important part of their nature, then you've written a poor character.
>>
>>47703635
why are you giving the paladin cantrips at 3rd level when every other oath gives 1st level spells
>>
>>47698890
Tell them that if they're allowed to do it, so can enemies.
>>
>>47704456
So much this. Nothing was better as DM than doing a silent roll on a d20 for a 1 and telling that backstabbing motherfucker that a common thug slit his throat while he was wandering from a tavern at night and he was dead, five levels-worth of work down the drain.
>>
>>47704510
On the one hand, it's fair to tell players "Hey, if you want to be able to one-shot enemies stone dead, they can do the same to you." On the other hand, murdering player characters with a single dice-roll is the kind of adversarial GMing that drives a wedge between players and game master.

Perhaps a better compromise would be to ask your group in advance whether they want high lethality or low lethality with those kinds of actions, and that it's a double-edged sword. That would definitely be more mature and reasonable than saying "Well, you tried to slit that guy's throat last session, so I had an NPC thief try it on you and they succeed. Make a new character."
>>
>>47704648
One roll that has to a critical failure per day is hardly poor gamemastery. Not only that, his fellow players were the ones telling him to stop because it was invalidating their play.
>>
>>47704369
First, I think it fits the flavor more. Secondly, it adds a lot of utility to the archtype. Third, I feel that setting back the Oath spells kind of evened out the Channel Divinity.

I suppose I could give the cantrips as part of Balloon Trick, then straighten out the spell list to be more in line with the other Oaths, but it feels a bit weighty to me.

What do you think of it?
>>
>>47704648
>On the other hand, murdering player characters with a single dice-roll is the kind of adversarial GMing that drives a wedge between players and game master.

Its not a problem. Remember: the players are the ones who chose this path. The players are the ones who wanted this. Its their decision, not yours, that instead of a hit point system, we should just "roll to instant death" people.

I had PCs use Antimagic Fields, Sunders, and Disjunctions on enemies in 3e, for example. Then I informed them that monsters generally aren't hampered by such things, only PCs and NPCs, and that they should quit it. So when the cleric closed in on a lich with an antimagic field, he gated in a powerful pit fiend. Trapped behind his own defenses, it was a contest of a 3/4 BAB muggle vs a tough fiend and he died, then he got soul bound.

Never had a problem with PCs doing that again.
>>
>>47698959
Yeah, this is basically how the game works. If they've managed to sneak up behind an enemy (Stealth roll vs Passive Perception) then they have advantage on the attack roll which is likely to cause it to hit and gives them two die rolls to try to crit with. If they're a Rogue they'll get Sneak Attack too.

Obviously the game isn't written for it but I have to say I kind of dig the idea of the bloodied state in 4e. A nasty sneak attack could start combat off with the enemy bloodied and give you an advantage.
>>
>>47703603
At least Reject-anon putting a different spin on his story this time. But for now, his salt-quest continues.
>>
File: FEF_Flora.png (44KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
FEF_Flora.png
44KB, 200x200px
Let's say there's a game that might involve Planescape coming up, and I want to run a Human or Wind Genasi Storm Sorcerer who was previously indentured to a Djinni, and received their powers when sent on their way. Would probably be extremely formal and continue to clean things for the party and make tea at regular intervals, as they were wont to do for their former master.
Is the idea _fun_ enough that I wouldn't upset fellow party members with how much I love maid aesthetic?
>>
>>47705326
I think as long as the character itself isn't naturally subservient in personality it should avoid being annoying.
>>
>>47705326
It could work, but you need to have them be more like a head maid or a team mom of sorts. They'll take care of chores like that, but they won't just let people boss them around and do everything for them.

Play it up as them being a sort of habitual neat-freak.
>>
Does anyone have good music recommendations I could use for Death House/CoS?
>>
>>47705517
Huge chunks of the Darkest Dungeon soundtrack are on Soundcloud.

Dark Souls Firelink Shrine/Majula themes work great for ambiance in more peaceful areas.

And of course, Bloody Rain for Castle Ravenloft proper.
>>
>>47705535
Bloody Tears, I mean.
>>
>>47705517
Here's a few hours of creepy noise.
https://youtu.be/g-zV0YqtAxo
>>
>>47705517
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY
>>
you can only make an opportunity attack each turn?
>>
>>47706299
It takes your reaction, which you only can ever have one of, so: yes.
>>
>>47705517
its a little more... i dunno, upbeat than some of the other suggestions, but the Alice the maddness returns soundtrack is fitting, good and spoopy

a few of the tracks definitely wouldn't work though, because of the level they were made for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOP26WOOMbc
>>
Dark Sun when
>>
Does 5e restricts more your roleplaying than any other edition? i feel that allocating your skill profeciences once in the game killed it a bit for me
>>
>>47706413
How are those two things related? It even introduces mechanical benefits to roleplaying through inspiration and advantage/disadvantage.
>>
>>47706413
There's a variant rule in the DMG that gets rid of assigned skill proficiencies and instead of having a set number of selected skills you are proficient in, you add your proficiency bonus if your background suggests you should. Only works if your group aren't a bunch of Hendersons, which is why it's just a DMG variant, but talk to your DM about it if you feel your group is RP-focused enough to pull it off
>>
>>47706413
no, in the sense that "being good" at a skill, meant putting points into it every level. which is the same as your proficiency bonus
if you want to become better at something while playing, you get a feat, multiclass, buy training, or talk to your DM.
you didn't have time to pick up new Knowledge (specific ass religion) or Perform (Cock whistle) while your reasoning for getting better at things was "killin alot of evil fuckers"
>>
>>47706413
Absolutely not. I've always felt more hindered than helped by the 3e skill system, while I absolutely loved 2e's prof system, and 5e hits the mark more.
>>
>>47698890
Coup de grace only exists in the form of advantage to attack in 5e, and attacking a target that is unaware of your presence or distracted works the same way. If you're a rogue, you get extra damage in addition to that, but it wouldn't do much besides advantage otherwise. If the character doesn't kill the target, I'd describe it like >>47698959
did, i.e. the target somehow avoided getting their throat completely cut, either by pushing it out of the way or stepping back at the last minute, etc.
>>
How do you guys narrate losing hitpoints?
>>
>>47706616
Well it totally depends on how the person or creature lost those hitpoints.

If a player gets hit by a sword he obviously received a cut and starts to bleed. If he lost a lot of hitpoints he got a deep cut or was hit in a vital spot.
>>
>>47706616
It's all over the place, but tends to involve physical damage more than the abstract interpretations of hit points. Mostly though we stick to numbers.
>>
>>47706616
For enemies it's meatpoints, if they're at 2 hp sure that last attack cut their arm off, doesn't matter much anyway and it feels more real when there are mechanical effects (which is why vidya bosses change moves based on health, otherwise it becomes stale, predictable and boring). For players, fairly serious wounds but nothing that changes their effectiveness. I don't like having it solely as fatigue so in my setting people are less reliant on physical bodies (because souls), wounds close without infections and nasty this-would-get-you-killed-slowly-in-the-middle-ages effects. A good nights rest and only scars remain, and healing magic isn't too rare either. I do use lingering injuries when they go down though, so it's not all fine and dandy.
>>
>>47706616
>inb4 the meatpoints shitstorm
>>
>>47706306
>>47706299
One AOO per ROUND
>>
>>47706681
>>47706681
Oh yeah, per turn doesn't make sense because the reaction itself is on a different turn.
>>
File: dark sun setting.jpg (653KB, 1051x1620px) Image search: [Google]
dark sun setting.jpg
653KB, 1051x1620px
>>47706409
This
>>
Do elves and half elves have advantage on saves against Hypnotic Pattern and similar magic, because part of the spell is charming them?
>>
>>47707045
if it causes the charmed condition then yes
>>
>>47707045

Well its an ability that says you get advantage on saving throw vs being charmed, and we're talking about a spell that gives a saving throw vs charmed... I literally don't know how more clear cut it could be
>>
>>47707045
Yes. Any spell that states "on a failed save the creature becomes charmed for the duration". Doesn't matter what the specific effects of that charm are, if it's save-or-be-charmed, Fey Ancestry gives advantage on that save
>>
Is ther a pdf list of all the stuff a druid can shape shift into sorted by CR? just seems like something thatd be convenient
>>
Are the class specific character sheets still being updated? The rogue and fighter sheets are missing cunning action and action surge respectively from the reference guides
>>
>>47707104
>>
>>47706616
Depends how much HP the creature has left and how much damage the attack did in one go. Before about half to a quarter health (depending on how high their max is), hits are solid but don't leave any lasting damage other than maybe shallow cuts. After they've been dropped halfway, armour and gear starts being damaged and torn off, cuts are deeper, there's visible stagger and the creature might think about retreating. Within range to be killed by the next single attack, crippling damage is good-to-go: limbs might be hacked off, eyes torn out, tendons severed. This lets my players know when to start declaring non-lethal damage, because I rule that you have to state that you're going for non-lethal before rolling for your attack, rather than retconning it in after you see how much damage you deal.

Player-wise, much the same, except the crippling damage is left out. If the player wants to have lasting wounds as a consequence, I leave that up to them to narrate, I'm not going to word-of-god force them into it.
>>
Could someone explain why berserkers are considered underpowered to me? 2 attacks at +2 damage and half incoming damage seems rather nice.
>>
>>47707176
Exhaustion fucks you up.
>>
>>47707176
its because their only actual damage increase is from retaliate, im pretty sure theres better totem choices that do more damage than that. frenzy is just abysmal until level 15

unless you mean barbarians themselves, because all of what you're talking about is from base class or bear totem
>>
>>47707176
They're not actually underpowered. Very little in 5e is - Beastmaster Ranger is about the only thing that's objectively a poor choice, but that's more to do with the action economy and poor/nonexistent scaling.

Berserker is slightly less optimal than totem, mainly because their main thing - the frenzy - gives a level of exhaustion. Which means at level 17+ it's possible to rage yourself to death with 6 rages per day.
>>
>>47707191
Pretty much this.

>get to do double damage for a minute
>entire rest of adventuring day is fucked
And don't even dare do it twice in a day...
>>
>>47707191
>>47707209
Immunity to charm and fear is very powerful though, especially considering your Wisdom save is probably not that high.
>>
>>47707236
One level of exhaustion isn't that bad, it's just disadvantage on skill checks. Treat frenzy like a daily power and save it for important boss fights and it becomes much better.
>>
>>47707241
OK but exhaustion fucks you up
>>
>>47707241
yeah, its a good thing
a defensive thing on the "im going to murder your house you fucking lampost" class
wolf totems are better berserkers than the actual berserker
>>
>>47707225
Wot4E Monks are on the low end as well. And you're not obligated to frenzy every time you rage, it's a risk you can take if you want to.

>>47707236
It's not like barbarians do a lot of skill checks anyway.
>>
File: 1341680921305.jpg (138KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1341680921305.jpg
138KB, 550x550px
>>47707243
>just disadvantage on skill checks
>>
>>47707243
Exactly. It's not as crippling as people make out. If they'd made the frenzy a one per long rest ability instead people would be fine with it. But because they've left in the option to use it more often (at increasing cost), people assume that all your rages are frenzied and you're going to be crippled from exhaustion before dinner
>>
>>47707209
But they get a bonus action attack and retaliate in comparison to the totem guys, which get nothing.

But yeah, I am thinking that something like a polearm + great weapon fighter may be the best melee damage character.
>>
>>47707257
Considering at mid to high levels the most likely cause of your demise is not a monster doing damage to you, but a monster simply causing your entire party to lose in a single action via charm...
>>
>>47707262
>Wot4E
They're the worst monk subclass, but they aren't that bad, there's some cool stuff in there. The monk base class is still pretty good, Wot4E just introduces even more competition for your ki points and action economy, so it's often a choice of using your monk stuff or using your pseudo-spellcaster stuff.

Beastmaster is only the worst because ranger is poorly designed - the core ranger class is basically just ribbon and out-of-combat stuff, and it relies on the subclasses for combat utility. Hunter does reasonably well. Beastmaster does not, and because it's a poor subclass in a class that really relies on its subclasses, it's very noticeable.
>>
>>47707284
Best melee damage characters from an optimisation standpoint are both GWF, either fighters or paladins depending on whether you prefer sustained damage all day or burst damage in one combat. Paladins can break out some absolutely ludicrous numbers of burst damage, whereas fighters can pile on damage all day with three or four attacks, and action surge it up for more every now and then.
>>
>>47707284
The way I see it, Totem path gets more defense and support, as well as some variety. Berserk gets more damage, it's a big "fuck you" class. More attacks and no shutting down.
>>
I've never played a board rpg before, nor any of my friends did.

Anons in Pathfinder general said that D&D 5th Edition is a good starting point.

I know it has a starter pack of some sort, but there is a small chance I won't be able to find it in my local stores.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>47707410
Check the first link in the OP. It has everything released for 5e. Grab the Starter Set adventure and the Player's Handbook, give the Player's Handbook to your friends, and have at it.
>>
>>47707410
Download the free pdfs from the D&D website
>>
>>47707293
Coolest story I've heard about it was of a fight against a vampire. She charmed every single member of the party, except the raging berserker. In the end, he choked her to death while everyone else was trying to get him off of her, unsuccessfully because there's no way you're gonna beat a raging barbarian in an Athletics contest.
>>
I love the Oath of Ancients paladin so fucking much.
>>
>>47707340
>>47707405
Hm okay, thanks.

I just noticed the paladin gets +2d8 to +3d8 for sacrificing first level spells. Not bad.

Ultimately though, yeah, the wolf barbarian strikes me as the most desirable.
>>
>>47707418
>>47707440
Thank you
>>
>>47707462
Coincidentally, while the inspiration for the D&D paladin, Sir Holger, was never faced with an undead to turn (afaik), he could turn both fiends and fey.
>>
>>47707340
>Best melee damage characters from an optimisation standpoint
Only if you can land the hit. In a Rob Roy setup, in 5E, I'd put my money on a Dextrous type with DD first, and unlike in Rob Roy, there isn't a hero shield stopping Tim Roth from giving the coup de grace.
>>
>>47707585
I'm trying to figure out 5e but I have no idea what you said.
>>
>>47707598
Shit, I run 5e and I have no idea what he just said
>>
Would it be balanced, if I as DM give the ranger the benefits of Hunter and Beastmaster to fix ranger?
>>
>>47707700
Probably make it a rather strong class
>>
>>47707663
>>47707598
>Max dexterity
>Light or Medium Armor Fighter
>Rapier
>Duelist
>Dueling style
>Be impossible to hit
>Hit more often
>>
>>47707700
It wouldn't be too terrible, but it would definitely make the class a combat monster

We have run the numbers before, beastmaster ranger has about the same DPR as a fighter at level 20 without using action surge. Hunter has even more multi-target and a bit less single-target
>>
>>47707750
>>47707714
Why? I mean how do beastmasters deal that much damage? I mean 2 Attacks of a wolf with your proficiency bonus and one attack of yourself don't deal that much damage.

And would it be ok, if I permit the ranger to have a beast companion but not to attack with it? Just for Help action, scouting and the flavor or would that be not enough to make ranger a class, that is fun to play with?
>>
File: 303986.jpg (1MB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
303986.jpg
1MB, 2000x1200px
Ok /5eg/ I need your plot writing assistance.

My PCs are approaching the final fight with the BBEG who will be in his own demiplane palace.

They will be getting sent there by a wizard, but have no means of escaping on their own.

I'm pretty sure they do not intend to continue this campaign after this fight.

Should I add in a way to escape or let them be trapped forever?
>>
>>47707917
Sounds like what you're going for is a hunter with find familiar
>>
>>47707917
Those attacks also deal as much damage as attacks from anyone else not using something like great weapon master, and usually have some kind of benefit (like poison from the snakes or advantage and knockdown from the wolf)
>>
>>47707721
Eh statistically not much compares to great weapon mastery even if you can't get routine advantage
>>
>>47708008
Well find familiar is more like a wizard flavor, while I want to give my players the option of playing a buffed ranger with a ranger flavor and I hoped a beast companion would do that.
>>
>>47708054
I seriously doubt a beast companion will impact the game at all. Its CR fuckin 1/4 or so, right? You could give them free beast companions and it would virtually never make a difference.
>>
>>47708054
Here is what I do when my players play ranger
Hunter:
Colossus Slayer scales, 1d10 at 11 and 1d12 at 17
Giant killer changes from "within 5 feet" to "within reach"

Beastmaster:
Beast HP = max + 4×level
Beast scaling as per druid wildshape

General:
Vanish at level 1
Skirmisher's Stealth at the level they would normally get vanish
Hide in plain sight allows movement

You do as you like, but I find this more than sufficient
>>
Hey guys, when using the Zendikar Vampire's power the target has to be alive to get Hp, right? One of the players at our table is just biting people he killed already and continuously doing it until he's at full health.
>>
>>47708112
It doesn't if you leave it as is, but adding your proficiency to its AC, attack and damage, plus putting barding on it, etc. makes them better than your garden variety 1/4 wolf
>>
>>47708137
Yes, once they're dead they don't exist as a meaningful target at all.
>>
Would anyone have advice on roleplaying a cleric in a world where there is no (known) divine energy, no active gods, and where my backstory was tweaked so that my character left his monastic order since no one any longer believes in the gods, and it would be extremely odd if someone were to profess such belief.

The DM is trying to sell up my healing abilities as some sort of advanced medical techniques, and views my holy icon spell focus as some sort of salve kit or surgical set, but I'm admittedly a bit autistic in trying to go about reconciling all my abilities, such as channel divinity, the salve kit (which sounds a little too close to the healer's kit I also have for emergencies), and how I should play my character as a not-magical(?) magical doctor.

I want to see where the DM takes the story, and certainly don't want to be an obnoxious sperg about things (or at least limit it as much as I can at tye game table), but it seems that the plot requires him to keep many things close to his chest, so the answers to some of my questions seem a bit nebulous for giving me direction on how to convincingly play in character. Any suggestions?
>>
>>47708137
It says "incapacitated" so I guess so
>>
>>47708193
Can a creature have a status effect if it is dead though?
>>
>>47708178
Having clerics available as a class at all in a setting without divine magic makes no sense

Even if there are no gods there should be sources of divine magic even if it is from general concepts like war or light or whatever. Your empowerment doesn't need to come from a god per se but it does have to originate in your faith moving mountains, as it were
>>
>>47708156
But still not enough to actually survive anything but low level combat.
>>
>>47708213
Death as a status is not defined in the book, so it could just be treated as "permanently unconscious"
>>
>>47698766
My first ever more than one session long character was a boring human fighter, at level 3 he was made a part of a wizard order, so instead of going Battlemaster how I originally intended, I went Eldritch Knight. After a few months of Shielding with 23 AC and Chromatic Orbing everything that moved we ended up in a dungeon.

The ranger stepped into a magic circle on the ground that locked her in. The sorcerer and I had to roll arcana to break the circle and free the ranger.

>mfw only have 12 intelligence and no proficiency.

I had to roll with disadvantage cause I have only been doing magic for a few months and this was some heavy shit. It came down to the wire, both rolls were high teens, saved the rogue, and continued on our merry way.

I have another story involving my high level Druid, call lightning, and a siege on our fortified position.
>>
>>47708178
Tell your DM to take the goddamn fedora off. It's a fucking fantasy game.

That said, if you're looking for alternate "godless" religions I'd turn to eastern philosophy for some easy examples. Spin up your own version of Taoism or something. I'd still push back hard on the "it's not really magic" thing though. That's way too slippery of a slope for absolutely no tangible benefit (other than your DM masturbating to his own "enlightenment", I guess)
>>
>>47708254
Hence why I houseruled max+4×level hp

It's literally all it needs, I just added scaling because having a brown bear vs having a wolf only nets something like a 3 DPR boost
>>
>>47708281
Pretty much this

Does he make arcane spellcasters jump through all the same hoops? Because last I checked magic was just as unlikely as divinity
>>
>>47708240
If I'd had a bit more notice on the specifics, I would have loved to try to come up with some sort of alchemist homebrew that throws assorted healing potions instead of acid and explosives. Hell, I may still work on that for when my current character dies.

>>47708281
I wouldn't say it's a matter of being a fedora. He described the campaign as being a "Of Gods and Men" variety, and there are gods, it's just that they all fucked off long ago. So I assume my rolling a cleric naturally puts me in a weird spot early in the story before we get to possible divine stuff. He did mention that he has something plot related important to my character being as a cleric, so I'm willing to see how it plays out for a while before I cry foul.
>>
>>47708006
Demiplane closes if they kill him
>>
>>47708366
Middle Finger of Vecna has an alchemist homebrew, you might want to check it out

I think they made a healing subclass too
>>
>>47708366
Then go heavy on the ignorance. You follow something but maybe it's more of a philosophy than a deity. Maybe you're just a healing monk that channels ki into restoration instead of fists. You use a holy symbol because that's just the way your magic works and you don't really know why. Hell, make up your own elemental plane of "it's not divinity magic from a god but it does the same shit" and claim your healing powers stem from being able to tap into that realm. Maybe you're a font for the Plane of Truth or something. Hand-waving and ignorance on your part allows your DM a wide berth to plug your character in anywhere on the unique-snowflake to crazed-hobo spectrum.
>>
>>47708366
Talk to your DM about whether or not he'd rather you play a different class - and if not, about whether he want you to refluff your abilities or whether you'll just not get them until some nebulous point in the story where (presumably) the gods return. And if it's that last one, whether he'd be okay with you playing those preceding levels as a fighter with the acolyte background and healer feat until the gods show up, then trade in your fighter levels for cleric ones.

Otherwise, he's going to have to give you enough info to roleplay your character. At least clearing up where your spellcasting comes from and what powers your channel divinity options.
>>
>>47708006
Give them a chance to escape, or a reason to get back to the original plane. While the martyr idea is deep and dramatic that doesn't mean that it's the only way.
>>
>>47708366
>>47708586

Why don't you just see if you can't be more like a Paladin, getting power from your ideals? Then when/if the gods show return you can begin worshipping a god who matches those ideals, maybe even with a power boost of sorts.
>>
>>47707917
The opportunity from beasts allows it to be more than just an attack, a lot of beasts can throw a condition on with their attack. The 5e Beastmaster ranger isn't meant to top the damage charts is meant to provide crowd control along with solid damage.

Instead of trying to make just another damage class why not make the crowd control better.
>>
>>47708178
What is normal magic like in your setting?
>>
>>47708659
Which can be easily done by adding prof to beast save DCs
>>
>>47708765
Or, stay with me on this.

>More wolves
>>
Updated with fluff
>>
>>47708780
Sounds good to me, with CR scaling you could have 2/4 wolves eventually, that's 4 chances to knock an enemy prone in your turn (you can still only order two of them to attack twice each, or one attack per wolf) plus the reactions
Although that might break action economy a bit
>>
File: Seriously nigga.jpg (45KB, 349x300px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously nigga.jpg
45KB, 349x300px
>>47708809
>oath of the clown

You can't possibly be serious
>>
>>47708908
I bet you wouldn't play a School of Battlerage Wizard
>>
File: colorful-clown-portrait.jpg (76KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
colorful-clown-portrait.jpg
76KB, 615x461px
>>47708908
I am the seriousist
>>
>>47708711
No idea. First session is scheduled for tonight. I'm going to see how the bard's spells are handled, though. It'll give me an idea of how much I should argue against being a medical specialist, if at all.

I'm still waiting to hear how he wants to explain my channeled divinity ability, and ranged/group healing spells as medical techniques/potionwork. I imagine that will require some robust mental gymnastics.
>>
>>47708973
Nightmare fuel
>>
File: sad-clown.jpg (30KB, 590x288px) Image search: [Google]
sad-clown.jpg
30KB, 590x288px
>>47709014
>>
Would granting a feat AND an ASI when it comes around break the game?

I'm just asking because with new feats coming soon plus my homebrew feats there's gonna be a lot of customization options and I would like players to be able to take full advantage

I figure I would probably have to adjust encounter CR
>>
>>47705326
Tame. I have a player in my group with a naked/slave fetish. We just shrug and force her to accept some clothing when we're in town.
>>
>>47709241
Feat + ASI is something I see as possible if you want a higher power level without bringing out gestalts.
>>
>>
File: file.jpg (536KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
536KB, 1920x1080px
>>47708378
>>47708601
Thanks for the input. I guess I will elaborate a little further. After reading this you may realize why I didn't specify these things to begin with; it is a bit convoluted.

The plane the BBEG is on is technically not *his*, insomuch it is a plane where he is imprisoned but it was almost taken over by him due to his immense power, and the help of a planomancer wizard (I have a lot of homebrew stuff going on here.)

Anyways, the PCs will be coming from a fight with the planomancer who will have just integrated with a massive alien hivemind that he and the BBEG were using to take over multiple planes including the one the PCs are from. During the fight, I will have the planomancer's clone come in to help the PCs (a clone they have met before, which was accidentally created by the planomancer in a freak accident). This clone is the wizard who sends them to the BBEG's lair. I was planning on having him die heroically in the process, but I could also have him go with them and/or teleport them out at the end. Alternate ending: The clone also integrates into the hivemind and gets taken over by his original until the PCs come in and help
>>
>>47709241
All up to you.
It does however significantly boost the PCs.
>>
File: MistookMainQuestForSideQuest.png (501KB, 776x469px) Image search: [Google]
MistookMainQuestForSideQuest.png
501KB, 776x469px
>>47708006
Just make sure they have the escape macguffin before they enter. You can make a quest out of finding it.
>>
are any of the Adventure books (Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss) books worth buying if my party is already level 15+?

I know OotA has stat blocks for the demon lords, which are epic level encounters, but is there enough content there for me to warrant the $50?
>>
>>47709424
They're $20-30 on Amazon

And it's not worth it if you want to use them to continue an existing adventure IMO, these work better as their own thing
>>
>>47708890
The only issues t has is that's a lot of time and rolling on the ranger's side. At 7th level I'd give you another wolf, and also instead of rolling for damage you just take the average plus bonuses.

By level 20 you are a true pack master with four wolves, their attacks take a cost of one of your attacks, so you can have them attack and then you bow something. That's a possibly 4 prone targets or ALOT of pack tactics possibilities.
>>
>>47707310
Fighters are 90/10. Monks are about 95/5. Barbs are like 70/30. Rangers are 80/20. It's strange how far perceptions drift from reality.
>>
>>47709241
The DMG suggests that instead of monetary rewards that the PCs can be trained, this could result in inspiration for around a week, a new skill, or a new feat.
>>
>>47709424
Rise of Tiamat has stats for... well Tiamat.
Princes of the Apocalypse has stats for the Princes of Elemental Evil.
Out of the Abyss has stats for the Demon Princes.
>>
Are there any balance issues with allowing summoning spells to pull from other creature types? I'm new to the system and a player of mine wants to be a demon summoning warlock but the only summoning spell I see is Conjure Fey, would allowing it to pull from the Fiend creature type be op?
>>
>>47709241
As a fellow DM I suggest you share those homebrew feats desu.
>>
>>47709585
Look to the Unearthed Arcana Black Magic for inspiration for spells or just take those. They are pretty powerful with some really dangerous downsides.
>>
>>47709627
They're not done yet, but I can tell you they are based on existing class features, mostly powered down following an approach similar to the martial adept feat

Things like 1 rage/day, 1 metamagic/day, 1 action surge/day and so on
>>
>>47709585
>>47709652
Here is an example:

Conjure Lesser Demon
3rd level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a vial of blood from an
intelligent humanoid killed within the past 24
hours)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You summon up to a total of eight manes or dretches that appear in unoccupied spaces you can see within range. A manes or dretch disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.
The demons are hostile to all creatures. Roll initiative for the summoned demons as a group, which has its own turns. The demons attack the nearest non demons to the best of their ability.
As part of casting the spell, you can scribe a circle on the ground with the blood used as a material component. The circle is large enough to encompass your space. The summoned demons cannot cross the circle or target anyone in it while the spell lasts. Using the material component in this manner consumes it.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th or 7th level, you summon sixteen demons. If you cast it using a spell slot of 8th or 9th level, you summon thirty two demons.

TLDR; summons demons that are hostile to everything including you. Vials of blood make protection circles.
>>
>>47709518
What's the split between here?
>>
I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with the NPC/race rules. Zombie commoners for low level necromancer battles, skeleton knights for early boss monsters, orc/etc. acolytes and priests galore, and so forth. I particularly relish the idea of evil humanoid type foes having a lot of magic, especially divine magic, to denote how they're a lot more loyal to the gods than the PC races are to theirs, and how the evil gods are much more active.
>>
>>47710020
how much of its combat potential is class vs subclass.
>>
File: 1378387716338.jpg (400KB, 876x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1378387716338.jpg
400KB, 876x1200px
What would you say are currently the most "overpowered" classes and general character options in official 5e material so far, /tg/?
>>
>>47698996
Loggers with a 100% legal right to be there.
>>
Just hit level 4 as a cavalier. What's a way to make the cavalier more fun (not necessarily optimized)? Feats I can consider?

Can't take dual wield, me holding 2 sticks while on a horse is too far- fetched compared to the wizard throwing fireballs and the bard mind- controlling a big bad.

Also, can only multiclass once, though I'd hope not to at all.
>>
>>47710131
I never thought I'd be saying this, but the half-elf bard is pretty damn beastly this edition. There isn't nearly as much of a gap as there has been in the past between "strong" and "not-strong" options (even the Ranger isn't that bad), but half-elves and bards both stand out as very solid options, and they happen to go together perfectly.
>>
>>47709694
>eight
>sixteen

Are you prepared for all that rolling? It's going to slow down the game by a ton
>>
>>47710131
Honestly I don't think there are any classes that are overpowered, just classes that are really strong.

Vengeance Paladin is pretty strong, Assassin Rogue is pretty strong, the spellcasters once they get past their super delicate stage can get pretty strong. And this is all in the 1st-5th level. Some things may get much much stronger in later levels but I haven't played enough to see.
>>
>>47710202

just use mob attacks rule from the dmg
>>
>>47700342
Why can't the fighter just be a female tomboy?
>>
>>47710202
Yeah that is, I wouldn't roll for damage I would just do average. And as long as the guy is quick about it then it's not a big deal.
>>
>>47710131
>>47710223

5th level gwm barbarian is doing 50 damage per turn pretty regularly as long as the enemies aren't over 15 ac
>>
>>47702357
>sorceror lord
>not SORCELORD

You had one job, Anon...
>>
>>47710184
You could MC paladin if you do it at all

As far as feats go if you don't already have Mounted Combatant then take it

Other fun feats to consider are Tavern Brawler (my all-time favorite) Magic Initiate, Inspiring Leader (depending on your CHA), Healer, Charger (as a cavalier this might do you good), Shield Master, Tough, Alert or Lucky
>>
>>47710242
You can't balance being lucky. And 15 AC gets much more common the higher you go. Plus his damage isn't going to go much higher than that.
>>
>>47710242
>15ac
>uncommon at level 5
>>
>>47703603
This would make an excellent story if you actually take your time and write some 50 pages.
>>
>>47710322
>>47710340

am I wrong? obviously ac gets higher and the barb doesn't get any more attacks. gennerate random cr 4-6 encounters and most of the enemies are still going to be lower than 15 ac, which means the barb is going to hit with reckless attacks, on enemies that will feed gwm bonus action.
>>
Story time? Story time.

Let me start out by saying, pre-greentext, we have no set alignments for monsters. Werewolves can be LG, but it's unlikely, same with vampires and such. Except demons, celestials, and devils. They're always whatever the MM says.

Anyway
>Playing Half-elf bard pirate
>Captain was another PC Orc named Cap'n Stabby Bitz
>We have many adventures, losing a few party members
>Ned Tugent (My Bard) has always wanted to become a lich
>Learns the ritual that is custom but more fun
>You offer the soul of the person most important to you
>The Catch? If it's too powerful it will summon Vecna to eat your soul too
>Train my friend to be as powerful as possible
>The Orc has achieved maximum fightiness
>I start the ritual, Cap'n Stabby Bitz having full faith in his First Mate
>I sacrifice Captain to Vecna
>It was too powerful Vecna comes to eat mine instead
>Cap'n Stabby Bitz, at half health maximum, helps me kill Vecna
>I am the new Lich God
>Cap'n Stabby Bitz dies and his soul is eaten
>Instead of ruling the world through being an asshole lich I now rule all the kingdoms as a benevolent overlord
>Everyone loves me
>Feel sad about Stabby Bitz
>Restore fragments of his soul, they can't be in a body, but they can exist within my own soul
>Create all DA FIGHTIEST THINGS for my dear friend
>He is fighting for all eternity, just like he wanted to
>I retreat into my Phylactery now and again to fight alongside my Captain

It was a good game. The development we had was great, and we lost a few party members. Ned Tugent and Cap'n Stabby Bitz were there the whole way though. We even took on an entire undead army alone to find a "stabbier knoife"
>>
>>47710513
Even if you are lucky it also matters how the DM plays the game. Yeah, throwing a bunch of low AC mobs at you is a perfect world for a GWM barbarian. The DM has to balance it out with much fewer, higher AC, and throwing magic at you. That Barbarian's damage per turn goes to zero when he fails the save against a a restraining trap or a hold person spell. If you just throw stuff that the classes are good at at the party, then they are gonna be super easy.
>>
>>47698766
My players have killed someone with polymorph before.

They flew up above the enemy commander. Then polymorphed the bard into a giant ape and let him drop. They used a familiar flying on the ape as a sort of guidance system.

The weirdest part was the ape survived the fall.
>>
>>47708178
Here

Spoke some more with DM. He would be happy to have the cleric have an intuitive understanding of how to use magic, similar to how some druids might use it, rather than medicial mystery sciebce, or highly academic arcane magic.

Makes it a lot easier for me to work with, and understand how my own abilities work for roleplaying purposes.

Also, thanks to >>47708493
for pointing me towards that resource. It looks a lot better than the others I'd looked at so far. I'll keep it in mind for future use.
>>
A player in my game used animate dead to revive a zombie from a dead orc and wanted to know if he could just give the zombie a great axe to use, and possibly even throw a suit of chain mail over it for AC. I said I'll get back to him on it since I'm unsure if that might be a bit powerful if animate dead was balanced specifically around the zombies Base stat line or not. It seems fine but you know just wanted second opinions, worst case scenario I see layer is he blows his coin on a few suits of platearmour longswords and shields for 18ac zombie knights.
>>
File: echo.png (32KB, 502x251px) Image search: [Google]
echo.png
32KB, 502x251px
what do you guys think about a race that has echo location instead of darkvision? would it be OP? how could it be designed to be on par with darkvision?

60 foot range
ultra sonic
interupted by sound effects
not interupted by dust/fog/darkness/etc effects

is that fair?
>>
>>47710810

echolocation is blind sight. it's better than dark vision. look at dark mantles.
>>
>>47710888
i dont want blind sight tho.
i want echolocation.
how could it be made to be on par with darkvision
>>
>>47709241
I'd be wary of feats that also increase a stat by a point. Maybe if they want one treat it like a half feat and give them two.
>>
>>47698766
What's a good module I can use to begin a campaign? Adventurer's League modules or whatever. I will rewrite some of it to fit my campaign, like town names and that kind of thing.
>>
>>47710919
As blindsight, plus any effect that deafens the creature also blinds it.
>>
>>47710958
Why not the starter set?
>>
>>47710919

bats and gimmicks use echolocation. they have blind sight. echolocation == blind sight. It is on par with dark vision because they are affected by silence as much as sighted creatures are affected by darkness.
>>
>>47710958
Lost Mines of Phandelver, its in the stater set and should be in the mega.
>>
>>47710810
A race like this reminds me of Drow. Give them vulnerability to thunder damage.

2 Dex
2 Wis
Blindsight to 120 feet.
Vulnerability to Thunder damage.
Sunlight Vulnerability
Extremely loud noises similar to a collapsing building, a sharp noise a crackle of thunder within 300 feet deal 1 point of thunder damage.
Druidcraft Cantrip
Can determine number of creatures in a 60 foot radius on short rest, goes around corners.
Weapon Training in Shortswords, Scimitars, Longswords, and Longbows.

It's convoluted and I'm not sure about the 1 point thunder damage, but 2 wisdom is really strong
>>
File: scubagirl.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
scubagirl.webm
3MB, 640x640px
>>47711018
i think blinsight is different from echolocation, or should be.

it shouldnt be able to see things that absorb sound or allow sound to pass straight through like:

fog/smoke
incorporeal creatures
ghosts
silenced areas
silenced creatures
sound absorbing creatures

it also should not see through transparent objects like glass or crystal or wall of force.

its different than blind sight
>>
>>47711143
That would just make the race extremely complicated. I wouldn't enjoy having to go back to the pdf every five minutes to know if I can or can't see through whatever is in front of the character.
>>
>>47710995
>>47711023
that was the first campaign I ran with this group. I've made a map and part of a world, I just need some quests to drop in it.

The party is starting at level 3.
>>
>>47711143

it doesn't see ghosts or incorporeal creatures in the ethereal plane. fog and smoke don't muffle sound nearly as much as sight, and there are loud effects that cause disadvantage on perception when they rely on hearing. They lose the blind sight if they are deafened or the area is silenced. If the object is thick enough to absorb sound they can't see through it. It's not different than blindsight just because it's too hard for you to understand how blindsight works.
>>
File: 1464212815225.jpg (434KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1464212815225.jpg
434KB, 1200x1600px
>>47711184
well, i mean, they have normal vision too, just like a dolphin or bat.
they are pretty simple rules:
echo location can see things that sound bounces off.
it cannot see things that sound does not bounce off
it cannot see through things that bounce sound back
>>
>>47711288

the result of this effect is called blind sight. which is what many creatures have instead of vision.
>>
>>47711205
I think all the AL adventures are in the mega and have the recommended level range at the end of the file name.
>>
>>47711143
Just use blindsight and make it not be able to see what it can't hear
>>
File: Capture.jpg (26KB, 385x202px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
26KB, 385x202px
>>47711257
>They lose the blind sight if they are deafened or the area is silenced. If the object is thick enough to absorb sound they can't see through it. It's not different than blindsight just because it's too hard for you to understand how blindsight works.
blindsight has NONE of the limitations you listed, faggot. YOU are the one too dumb to understand how blindsight works

>>47711306
blilght sight just says "you see shit in X radius"

the sense i am proposing has much more limitation and differences
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>47711288
Here is the book's rendition. I don't know why you want to gimp your character with all these rules.
>>
>>47711358

you're trying really hard to be stupid. does a character with a bullseye lantern have normal vision in a 360 radius darkness because there aren't default rules for facing? you're either autistic or a Turing machine.
>>
>>47711323
I am wondering if people have experience with any of the modules, or even older D&D modules, that could be used to begin a campaign.
>>
the limitations are implicit bro. a dirty window limits vision but they didn't list vision as a special ability with that limitation. they just assume you've tried before and know better.
>>
>>47711363

he doesn't. it's just something to replace the emptiness in his life now that no one cares about pikes and halberds
>>
As someone with very little experience with RPing, I have to ask: What is the incentive for playing as the DM over an actual player? The amount of time one has to invest in being a DM seems to be overly ridiculous, and I don't see how anyone can put that much effort into it.
>>
>>47712074
It's fun
>>
File: 1460690026472.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460690026472.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>group usually has 3 people plus DM, all of which are men and I am comfortable around
>new guy joins, brings his gf who also plays Tabletop games
>she brings her friend, also female who plays Tabletop games
>get extremely awkward
>start playing my character as lol so random in order to deal with this awkwardness
>end up dying to a band of NPC's for this
>can tell the other players I getting angry at me

JUST
>>
>>47712137
>playing with a party of six past 2e
Dying and leaving the group entirely would be your best option, anyways. The encounters would be boring as fuck unless the DM made a ton of encounters with hordes of groups, and I doubt he did that.
>>
>>47712074
Some people say it's fun. Personally I do not know a single person that GM's consistently that also doesn't seem dangerously close to the edge of suicide.
>>
File: 56.png (2MB, 816x1165px) Image search: [Google]
56.png
2MB, 816x1165px
>>47712074
>>47712174
See
>>47708006
>>47709261

My favorite part of being a DM is thinking of cool and unique stories and decisions to throw at my players to see how they react. Yes it can be a lot of planning, but you get a lot better at it and the payoff is worth it. Plus coming up with fun boss battles is fun in and of itself, as much as it is rewarding.
>>
>>47712270
Can a DM have an NPC that is a self-insert character?
>>
>Monster attacks player with an axe
>"The monster hits you with his axe"
>"I want to parry/evade it"
every time makes me want to quit
>>
>>47712337
Have you explained to your characters that you will let them know when they've successfully avoided an attack, and that otherwise they're going to be taking damage?
>>
>>47712362
Yes, but that mechanic takes away the feel that they can actively defend
>>
>>47712294
Yes, but please don't.
>>
>>47712337

Have you considered using the rolling defense optional rule?
>>
>>47712404
I remember seeing a mechanic that basically makes it so the players always roll.

You could flip it so that when a player is attacked, they roll a d20 and add their bonuses to AC to block/parry or whatever, and try and beat a static number which is just 10+the monster's attack bonus.

It might slow things down a bit, but it should let them feel a bit more active and force them to pay a bit more attention.
>>
>>47712454
>>47712463
where i can read that rule?
>>
>>47712480

lmao you just replace 10 ac with the result of a d20
>>
File: file.jpg (45KB, 795x995px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
45KB, 795x995px
>>47712294
In my campaign the closest thing I came to a self insert DMPC was an autistic sentient sword "robot" depicted as pic related. It was pretty fun, probably because some of the players got attached to him. I think as long as you don't accidentally create a Jar Jar that the players want to kill then it should be fine.
>>
good battle music?
>>
>>47712337
Have you tried the active AC variant?

Substract 10 from the book AC to get the new AC, players roll a d20 and add the new AC value to see whether they successfully avoid damage

IE, a rogue with leather armor has d20+DEX mod+1 AC

A knight in plate has d20+8 AC

And so on
>>
>>47710131
druids survival is pretty op in comparison to other casters, and a tank druid is arguably better than any barb tank
>>
>>47712480

The players roll their characters’ attacks as
normal, but you don’t roll for their opponents.
Instead, when a character is targeted by an
attack, the player makes a defense roll.
A defense roll has a bonus equal to the
character’s AC − 10. The DC for the roll equals
the attacker’s attack bonus + 11.
On a successful defense roll, the attack misses
because it was dodged, absorbed by the
character’s armor, and so on. If a character fails a
defense roll, the attack hits.
If the attacker would normally have advantage
on the attack roll, you instead apply
disadvantage to the defense roll, and vice versa if
the attacker would have disadvantage.
If the defense roll comes up as a 1 on the d20,
then the attack is a critical hit. If the attacker
would normally score a critical hit on a roll of 19
or 20, then the attack is a critical hit on a 1 or 2,
and so forth for broader critical ranges.

It's in UA Variant Rules, which is in the mega
>>
>>47712514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0P1Bk8Cx4
>>
>>47709627
Notice me sempai!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/glq8f95r7xq7nia/Compendium%3B%20Feats.docx?dl=0
>>
>>47710808
its just a free follower at that point with the logical necromancy negatives
consider if just giving him a follower or better than BM pet, just because he knows a spell is op or not, or if you think your group might get salty he's getting "two" turns for everyone elses one
>>
>>47710131
Level 9, 2 levels of fighter and 7 levels of paladin (oath of vengeance) is pretty powerful.
Get yourself the lucky feat from variant human and take a greatsword sized for a large-sized creature and the damage becomes insane.
>>
There were playable races in phb, dungen master, elemental evil and the sword coast guide, rigth? Did I miss one?
>>
>>47712736
Zendikar supplement
>>
>>47712736
>
>>47709260
>>
>>47712736
tons of unearthed arcanas
>>
>>47712781
Zendikar? It isn´t what I think it, isn´t it? mtg. Downloading it now.

>>47712799
Thanks, anon. Going to study that list.

>>47712824
Will be downloading them too then, thanks.
>>
>>47712681
Sorry, I've only skimmed through some of the core book, there are actually rules for weapons made for different sizes in this edition? I didn't see any.
>>
>>47712635
Mmm, noticed. Some nice stuff there. Also there is just a whole blank page in there for me.
>>
>>47712853
Not in the PHB, because they're not intended for players.

Large weapons have double damage dice, huge weapons triple, gargantuan weapons quadruple. It's in the DMG in the monster design section.
>>
>>47712853
It is assumed that a club for a human and a club for a giant are not the same thing. Going up a size category results in an extra dice most of the time.

That being said, can a 6 foot tall boring human lift a great club meant for a 8-10 foot tall monster? The short answer is no, the long answer is yes but how do you balance that.

My DM gave my fighter an oversized weapon, but it was balanced because I have constant disadvantage, cause it takes a long time to learn how to use a weapon like that.
>>
>>47712635
Holy, many of those new feats are exactly what shouldn't be in 5e.

So many of them are just increasing your damage, so they get pretty much mandatory for most martials. Titan grip alone is insanely overpowered.
>>
>>47713061
Their designed to compete with 2 asi's. But I don't see where any of them even come close to competing with the damage from GWM or similar feats. Haven't been a problem in my groups, but to each there own.
>>
>>47712404
Let them roll d20+(AC-10) against the attack roll, instead of AC against the attack roll. That's what AC is; a way to represent dodging and parrying (arguably absorbing, but I don't feel like arguing it either way) while cutting down on dice rolls.
>>
>>47713194
But you can take GWM in addition to the new feats, really boosting the powerlevels.

A Paladin could smite multiple enemies with one spellslot with Titan Grip.

Martial Arts Acolyte is straight up insane for a rogue, who can now has double the chance to hit his opponent for his sneak attack, without having to go for your shitty secondary weapon. At level 12 your fists will be even stronger than your rapier.

But if you like it this way go for it. It's just that 5e doesn't need these kinds of feats. Some like Master of Shrouds are cool though.
>>
>>47713194
If these are meant to be worth 2 ASIs then some need attention.

Buff charger please, using 40 feet of movement you can bonus action attack. If that attack hits double the damage dice.

Clergy needs another look, channel divinity can be nasty with other stuff.

Give Crossbow Expert the original Sharpshooter feat meaning the +5 10 damage only with crossbows.

For Defensive Duelist also impose disadvantage on the attack with the AC buff. Drawing weapon at initiative is next to useless.

Dual-Wielder needs another AC added on and the flurry attack from the Ranger's Hunter archetype with both weapons.

Savage attacker can actually be a little too strong maybe. The OAs on prone can be removed.

Sentinel you can add knocks them prone along with 0 move speed

Skulker should get darkvision

Titan Grip seems really really strong not sure how to balance that.

The rest are either ok or I didn't really read them.
>>
I'm DMing my first game of 5e in a few weeks. It's not my first game of DnD, but it has been a while.

Are there any more monster manuals than just the first so far? After being so used to 3.5, what kind of 5e goodness should I be prepared for?
>>
>>47713548
>Are there any more monster manuals than just the first so far?
Not til November.
>>
>>47713548
>Are there any more monster manuals than just the first so far?
No. There is pretty much a second one coming out at the end of the year though
>>
>>47713548
theres one monster manual, and the bigger adventure supplements have extra monsters in them
though most of the monsters in each book, are in the free supplement online
>>
>>47713548
>m-m-muh 300 sourcebooks

Learn to make your own monsters, you lazy degenerate.
>>
>>47713563
>>47713567
>>47713585
Alright, much appreciated

>>47713601
Shit, man, I ain't looking to start a fight here. I'm rather fond of most of the stuff I'm seeing here; I was just wondering what's been printed since release
>>
>>47713548
From all the triggers people on here who jump at any comparison between 5e and 3.5 I have heard there is less rolling in 5e and everything is more streamlined. I heard there is more content in 3.5 but it's also filled with trap options and just clear goods and bads. Even the worse Archetypes aren't THAT bad.
>>
>>47713633
He was probably joking anon
>>
>>47713643
3.5 is nothing but a trap format trying to convince people that melees are viable while smug magics solve every problem and reap all the XP.
>>
File: 1464604514073.jpg (38KB, 412x204px) Image search: [Google]
1464604514073.jpg
38KB, 412x204px
>>47700712
>the river starts believing that it's a creek with a glandular problem
I might steal this.
>>
>>47713668
Yeah like that.

>>47713548
So that's what you have to look forward to in 5e.
>>
>>47712635
Why do people try to "rebanalce" feats?

>>47713477
>grossly overpowered

>agreed

>Sharpshooter already works with crossbows, doing this would make crossbows strictly better than bows

>grossly overpowered

>grossly overpowered, makes ranger even less unique and using a shield becomes 100% pointless

>meh

>the feat is already good, becomes ridiculously overpowered

>meh

>meh
>>
the only way for a warlock to get animate dead is to multiclass, correct?
>>
>>47713759
Correct.
>>
>>47713735
The guy says worth 2ASIs, you have to decide between +4 strength or these, they have to be pretty damn strong.
>>
>>47713779
I thought he meant a single "+2 to a stat" ASI, if I misunderstood then I see the problem

Still though, whenever I see a custom feat sheet that includes "fixes" for existing feats it annoys the shit out of me
>>
>>47713759
I think so. But if you go for Wizard 6 and the rest into Warlock you can have an insane amount of skeletons if you use short rests 8 hours a day and long rest for another 8 hours. Sure, you don't have much of the day left, but with 60+ skeletons with heavy crossbows you can take on any encounter.
>>
>>47713819
How long do animated skeletons last?
>>
>>47713759
Unless your GM throws a magical item or something at you, yes.
>>
>>47713825
If you maintain control of them by using your spellslots they last until they get destroyed.
>>
>>47713825
After 24 hours you lose control of it. If you cast animate dead a second time before the 24 hours are up you regain control.
>>
>>47713834
And what do melees get to give them an equatable amount of power?
>>
>>47713810
I know, I usually don't like to mess with the feats too much, but I would have enjoyed having more options and not regretting them than picking between GWM Sentinel or Shieldmaster when I play a melee fighter.
>>
>>47713857
Higher AC and the ability to not get instakilled by high level spells.

>And not being a scrawny pleb
>>
>>47713857
If we are talking damage alone, pretty much nothing compares even remotely. The only problems you will come across are enemies with really high AC, because your skeletons won't have a high attack bonus.
>>
Curious, do consider all the current feats balanced?

Also note, that the fear sheet doesn't change the wording on some of the more iconic feats like GWM, PM and such.
>>
>>47713891
For the most part I think so. There are a few exeptions though.

Grappler for example is really shitty.

GWM and Sharpshooter are just bad design for 5e imo, but they help making martials stay relevant compared to mages in the later stages of the game.
>>
>>47713891
I think that all the feats can have a build meant to capitalize on the benefits it has.

But should we be pandering to make the feat work at its best by making sacrifices? Or should we be focusing on making our character better, and having a number of feats being able to help us become better
>>
>>47713891
There are outliers but most of them are perfectly fine
>>
>>47714005
You can't make all feats relevant for everyone, that way they will always end up overpowered for some
>>
>>47713827
>>47713819
>>47713771
well balls. i know it can be easily dm granted, but i literally just want my childish halfling to be carried around while sitting in a chair.
totally willing to give up a spell slot per day to do it, not willing to take a 5 level multiclass
>>
>>47714048
Why not hire some people? If you pay them enough money they will surely do it for you.

Alternatively make someone your slave.
>>
>>47714085
because necromancy is generally frowned upon, so when we reach cities, i wanted to dismiss the spell, and carry him around in a sack
>>
>>47714113
That's only for the low level areas. When you get to the City of Brass people will question your fellow PCs for NOT having slaves.
>>
>>47711358
If you actually looked up an example monster, you'd see one that loses its blindsight when deafened.
>>
>>47709242
>>47705326
>>47705385

Agreed with them. It could be cool. Just don't make them a total pansy and push over.
>>
>>47712174
>dangerously close to the edge of suicide.
Does this mean I should take up GMing?
>>
>>47714113
>because necromancy is generally frowned upon, so when we reach cities, i wanted to dismiss the spell, and carry him around in a sack
You can't dismiss Animate Dead, you would have to murder your skeletonbro every time.
>>
>>47714113
>>47714296
In one Adventure I'm playing a Necromancer with really high Cha who also has the actor feat and proficiency in deception and the disguise kit .

So in one case I'm walking the lands with my hords of skeletons, ready to destroy everything that stands in my way.

When I want to go into cities I then change my appeareance and behavior to that of an old monk, and I let my skeletons wear cloaks and disguise them of other monks of my order, who have all taken a vow to never again speak a word.

There are so many fun things you can do when you dress up your skeletons, you can even make them look like other people and make them speak using spells.
>>
Assuming weight isn't a problem, is there any penalty besides disadvantage to using a large sized weapon?
>>
>>47714375
I like to walk around with a set of four Palpatine honor guard red robe skeletons, later upgraded to wights and a Shadow hiding in my shadow through control undead class feature.
>>
>>47707457
thats badass
>>
>>47714543
If you are looking for RAW they don't exist I don't think. Homebrew generally says something like that.

The only rules that could be applied are the Small size to the Heavy rule. Small creatures cannot wield heavy weapons.
>>
>>47713194
They're designed. To each their own.
>>
So when is that new monster book supposed to release?
>>
if i have a party of 5 and a monster gives lets say 500 xp each one gets 100 xp right? or there are any adjustment?

also i was thinking in giving experience at the end of each session depending on this things
*Roleplaying *Learning *Survival maybe 10 or 50 for each one
>>
>>47715865
November.
>>
>>47715894
Yep, 100 each, even if they circumvent it rather than defeating it.

Tallying up experience and giving it out at the end of the session is also usually easier. Don't have to stop as often to award it and it helps with players pestering you to give them xp for every little thing.

Also, I wouldn't hand out xp for every little thing, nor try and give players different rewards based on performance. If crossing the desert was enough of a survival challenge to warrant xp, that's fine, but the ranger shouldn't get a random 10 for catching their dinner for the day or whatever.
>>
>>47715894
i think in the dm's guide theres an estimation of how many "sessions of play" you can theoretically have between each levelup
1 for 1-2, 1 for 2-3 and 2 for 3-4, shit like that
you could always just use that and say fuck tracking xp, especially considering only fighting gives it, and not actual plot progression or rp
>>
Alright, say you need a secretive big bad, someone who's strong at manipulating, who's been contorting events for a while and also benefitting from negative energy, darkness, that sort of thing.

I've narrowed down to two things, an evil emperyan or an aboleth. I just haven't been able to decide between the two. Plus, I believe neither have legendary actions, so i was considering crafting some.
>>
>>47716034
Thats why i was considering awards for good roleplaying 50xp for good ones
>>47716011
Survival is more like not dying or being out of combat more than 50% of the session
>>
>>47710184
Where/what is the cavalier? Fighter subclass?
>>
>>47716163
The tavern keeper that gives missions to the players
>>
>>47716268
you sick fuck
>>
>>47716268
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a module that has this.
>>
>>47716268
>empyrian tavern keeper
well, I always thought he was a bit big
>>
>>47713668
Melee chars are perfectly viable, and its quite possible to make a character that kills an equal CR of enemies each round. They just require much more work for much less gain (creating a 'good', ie tier 4, fighter is similar to doing taxes).
>>
>>47716254
Yeah, from the Kits of Old UA.
>>
>>47715190
The monster manual detailed large weapons as double damage dice, but you have advantage to wield them.
>>
>>47710919
>>47710888
>>47710810
Tremorsense
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>47716163
Wizards is way ahead of you, manipulative, evil, shape shifting, striving for power.
>>
>>47716697
>lawful evil
more like lawful cute
i can never take them seriously
its a fucking bearded tiger smoking a pipe while wearing little elf shoes
>>
How is the ranger revised? is it op?
>>
>>47703731
His house was oathsworn against her house. She was the last nobles of her house after an effective raid. She hired goblin mercenaries to protect her. He slew the mercenaries, then stabbed her and is now watching the life fade from her eyes. He maybe regrets what he's done, but he has fulfilled his oath of vengeance.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10452023
>>
>>47716877
Hinderburg with the main building called the Holmhaus.
>>
So, I'm looking for some homebrew I saw a little while ago, about a month or so. It was a collection of magic item spellbooks with various spells in them and imbued spells, etc. I cannot find it anywhere, and it's driving me bonkers.

Help?
>>
>>47716818
>>47716818
>makes class a non spell, 1/2 spell, AND 1/3 spellcaster
>hunter
>5d8 smite every turn
>or 60 foot diameter volley every turn
>BM
>level 15 ability literally does nothing at all
>pet can take two multiattacks per turn giving the ranger 5 attacks a round
>adds a pet option with a multiattack of 3, giving you 7 attacks a turn. 4 of which do 1 damage
>to my knowledge there is literally one 1/4cr beast with multiattack (other than the addition), and no nonexistant monstrositys with it
>the only real strengthening of the pet is HP, which a dm should honestly do anyway
>warden
>a worse smite than paladin, and a worse "smite" than hunter
>bladed spells doesn't explain the full rules for new things it adds
>a bad mix of one paladin ability, one druid ability, and one cleric ability
generally when im looking through something to critique, i look for the worse, but yeah, this is just some of it

i will add though that i like how your pet can be customized with beast trick, but overall its a bit of a mess of op, pointless, and a few good gems
>>
I've only recently started being a DM tonight, and we're doing the Lost Mine of Phandelver in order to accommodate my lack of skill. However, I'm finding difficulty because one of my players continue to base her character solely on the size of his penis, including asking if she can roll for intimidation and get bonuses because of how "massive" it is. How do I counter this kind of behavior? It's creeping me out, and without any prior experience I don't know how to handle this situation.
>>
>>47717136
Cone
Of
Cold

You're welcome.
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.